XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 33

  • Page

    of 130 First / Last

  • Murbal 11 Oct 2012 13:32:50 22,269 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    @Murbal all that and only one tv???
    I know!
  • SBfistfun 11 Oct 2012 13:33:18 124 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am getting awfully tempted by this!
  • StevilKnevil 11 Oct 2012 13:36:15 310 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Woo! It's here. Goodbye life! :)

    GT: SteviL UK PSN: SJM2007

  • Archronos 11 Oct 2012 13:43:25 24 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Have any of you received your order from Shopto yet?
  • fletch7100 11 Oct 2012 13:43:31 7,331 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    fletch7100 wrote:
    First squad on their first mission led by veteran of 1 mission L Franko backed up by AGParrot,PyshcoKitten and Prodge

    Back up provided by Ghandi,Nelson Mandela, Emma Thompson and Anders Limpar
    Why do I get the feeling that this isn't going to end well, either?
    Well it went well for you Mr Agparrot. You survived. Prodge, well his head exploded from a well placed shot. Kitten promoted upto Support class with her first kill and L Franko 2 missions 5 kills
  • L_Franko Moderator 11 Oct 2012 13:43:57 9,694 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    First squad on their first mission led by veteran of 1 mission L Franko backed up by AGParrot,PyshcoKitten and Prodge

    Back up provided by Ghandi,Nelson Mandela, Emma Thompson and Anders Limpar
    Sounds like a cracking team you have there, makes me proud to be alive.
    I am still alive, right?
  • L_Franko Moderator 11 Oct 2012 13:44:30 9,694 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    agparrot wrote:
    fletch7100 wrote:
    First squad on their first mission led by veteran of 1 mission L Franko backed up by AGParrot,PyshcoKitten and Prodge

    Back up provided by Ghandi,Nelson Mandela, Emma Thompson and Anders Limpar
    Why do I get the feeling that this isn't going to end well, either?
    Well it went well for you Mr Agparrot. You survived. Prodge, well his head exploded from a well placed shot. Kitten promoted upto Support class with her first kill and L Franko 2 missions 5 kills
    \0/
  • Tryhard 11 Oct 2012 13:48:40 4,020 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I can see the newspaper headlines tomorrow.

    Shocking zap zap news, player sends Ghandi & Nelson Mandela to a painful death.
  • SBfistfun 11 Oct 2012 13:52:51 124 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tryhard wrote:
    I can see the newspaper headlines tomorrow.

    Shocking zap zap news, player sends Ghandi & Nelson Mandela to a painful death.
    Its the least that they deserve.
  • fletch7100 11 Oct 2012 13:55:46 7,331 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well Ghandi was known for not exactly liking some Africans, so I expect him to shoot Mandela in the back

    Revan has been called up. Decisions to make either nano vest or Grenade or med kit

    Edited by fletch7100 at 13:57:47 11-10-2012
  • Tryhard 11 Oct 2012 14:00:48 4,020 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ^ There is a book in the making here.

    If I only new the names of the Star Trek guys in red who would always die on away missions with Kirk.
  • fletch7100 11 Oct 2012 14:02:45 7,331 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Update

    Kitten got shot survived but panicked, this made L Franko panic shoot at Kitten but missed

    Right it's upto the rookies to do the job

    Well done Agparrot first kill at 25% hit
    Lucky I gave kitten the first aid kit to heal herself with
    Edited by fletch7100 at 14:03:40 11-10-2012

    Edited by fletch7100 at 14:05:13 11-10-2012
  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 14:03:09 44,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ensign Ricky.

    If he comes back alive, you've gone wrong somewhere.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Snufkin 11 Oct 2012 14:24:14 46 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Within a week I've gone from never having heard of this game (or the original - shameful I know) to having pre-loaded it on Steam.

    I've played the demo 4 times, with mouse and controller (controller is def better).

    Having been super-duper excited for Dishonored for months, I now find myself more psyched about playing XCOM! It just feels like a PROPER video game. The chunky art style is really doing it for me.

    Roll on midnight!

    Edited by Snufkin at 14:26:34 11-10-2012
  • Archronos 11 Oct 2012 14:28:39 24 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Graveland I was thinking about the interceptor sections just yesterday when I was talking to a friend about the old game. I've heard nothing about them featured in the full release either.
  • Khanivor 11 Oct 2012 14:28:40 40,850 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was starting to think normal was too easy when my medic localnotail got hit for a second time. Shot through the open doors of a freight car by a floater who'd appeared after phage, hiddenranbir, jintypenoir and tonka had calmly dealt with the first Muon encounter. Some Thin Men had poisoned poor local and tonka. Local healed herself but I guess she was weakened in spirit that the blast from the floater was fatal.

    Loving this game. The added direction from priorities sits well and the game certainly has a much stronger narrative drive.
  • Khanivor 11 Oct 2012 14:29:48 40,850 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Interceptors to shoot down UFOs which then generates a land mission.
  • rudedudejude 11 Oct 2012 14:32:14 2,186 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This panicing sounds like it causes a few problems. It's not continually annoying is it? Can you bolster your troops resolve with sing a longs or banners or something?

    From the sounds of it on here they can come across as a bit wimpy. It's annoying when games take control out of your hands and crazy shit happens, like Marv goes loco when a jam sndwich lands next to him.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 14:33:59 44,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Panicking was in the original as well. You managed it by having a high level soldier hang back out of danger - so long as he was fine, your chaff didn't panic.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • daft 11 Oct 2012 14:37:21 554 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rudedudejude wrote:
    This panicing sounds like it causes a few problems. It's not continually annoying is it? Can you bolster your troops resolve with sing a longs or banners or something?

    From the sounds of it on here they can come across as a bit wimpy. It's annoying when games take control out of your hands and crazy shit happens, like Marv goes loco when a jam sndwich lands next to him.
    I'm on normal, and I haven't really been annoyed by it. It happens from time to time, but you do need to keep out of spitting distance when a thin man is around. :)
  • agparrot 11 Oct 2012 14:38:34 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Panicking was in the original as well. You managed it by having a high level soldier hang back out of danger - so long as he was fine, your chaff didn't panic.
    It was a great mechanic in the original, and the Bravery statistic actually was one of the things you could improve in your troops - I think they got braver when they panicked and recovered, or if they 'passed' the invisible panic tests.

    However, in the sequel it sounds like they've altered the mechanic a little bit, as now it seems to work in the opposite way - the soldiers gradually become more nervous, and more likely to be gibbering wrecks after gruelling psychological encounters.

    Pretty sure my copy-which-arrived-from-Shopto is now installed on the 360, just need to wrest control of the TV from my good lady. This is a harder task than defending the Earth from aliens, however, during the daytime.
  • AccidentProne 11 Oct 2012 14:44:11 1,165 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Archronos wrote:
    Have any of you received your order from Shopto yet?
    Yeah, mine turned up this morning. Consequently this afternoon is dragging horrifically. At least this thread's keeping me entertained in the meantime. 2 hours...
  • glaeken 11 Oct 2012 14:45:24 11,199 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Panicking was in the original as well. You managed it by having a high level soldier hang back out of danger - so long as he was fine, your chaff didn't panic.
    It was a great mechanic in the original, and the Bravery statistic actually was one of the things you could improve in your troops - I think they got braver when they panicked and recovered, or if they 'passed' the invisible panic tests.

    However, in the sequel it sounds like they've altered the mechanic a little bit, as now it seems to work in the opposite way - the soldiers gradually become more nervous, and more likely to be gibbering wrecks after gruelling psychological encounters.

    Pretty sure my copy-which-arrived-from-Shopto is now installed on the 360, just need to wrest control of the TV from my good lady. This is a harder task than defending the Earth from aliens, however, during the daytime.
    I thought they became more prone to panic in the original once they had panicked once. Sort of PTSD. I might be remembering it wrong but I seem to remember having to relegate various soldiers to permanent bench positions because they had become to useless.

    Memory is possibly adding nuances the game did not have though.

    Edited by glaeken at 14:47:31 11-10-2012
  • 1Dgaf 11 Oct 2012 14:47:16 3,852 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My ShopTo copy arrived.

    I'm doing normal ironman.

    www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

    www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

  • spamdangled 11 Oct 2012 14:48:02 27,356 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    About to start this. I'm throwing myself in at the deep end with Ironman Impossible.

    I expect to last about five minutes.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 14:49:52 44,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Soldiers in the original became more likely to panic as a mission progressed, but their starting bravery improved after successful missions.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • fletch7100 11 Oct 2012 14:49:53 7,331 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sorry to Revan died on first mission and Lfranko will sorely be missed after I made a slight boob of a tactical decision:)

    RIP 3 missions 8 kills

    Kitten is in hospital for 17 days now

    Acid snake and Nelson Mandela are stepping up :)
  • agparrot 11 Oct 2012 14:50:08 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I thought that became more prone to panic in the original once they had panicked once. Sort of PTSD. I might be remembering it wrong but I seem to remember having to relegate various soldiers to permanent bench positions because they had become to useless.

    Memory is possibly adding nuances the game did not have though.
    I've been playing it in the last couple of months, and I still don't remember how Bravery works.

    There were two tests later when the psychic stuff arrived, one for regular panic and one for panic induced by aliens trying to force panic, which was done on Willpower rather than Bravery, I think. It had nuances alright, I just don't remember the bravery stat ever getting worse, only better, whereas the willpower one - your 'psychic ability' one, was fixed and did not ever change. Leading to binning loads of recruits, or only ever sending them out against what were the non-psychic races.

    Was it called willpower? Oh dear. It was the stat that you didn't even know existed until you got psi-labs, anyway!
  • Page

    of 130 First / Last

Log in or register to reply