XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 29

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• shamblemonkee 10 Oct 2012 15:39:21 14,395 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i call bullshit on IGN:

GamesBeat: When asked what he’d like to see developed further in a new version of X-Com, Gollop said, “Better A.I. would be interesting.” Can you expand upon the alien A.I. in the tactical portion of Enemy Unknown?

JS: There’s two levels: There’s what we call the engagement A.I., which is how they choose what abilities they want to use, how they flank you, and how they work together. We also have something called the overmind. Think of this as the alien player: If there’s an alien squad commander who’s your foil, that’s what that is. The overmind is out there controlling the forces as a whole.

Depending on the mission type, the map type, and what the goals are, those aliens may be patrolling, they may be lying in wait for you, or they may be doing something else, like aliens in the middle of an abduction would be busy with the bodies.

Here’s an example: A player can move up next to a door and then open the door silently, or he can path right through that door. And if he does that, his soldier is going to keep running, kick the door open, and keep moving. The difference there is that aliens can hear when you breach a door like that. So you can move farther, but aliens nearby are going to hear that. And they’re going to respond to that: They’re going to try to find a way to either flank around you or go investigate the sound.

All the different aliens out there are sort of operating on a higher level in terms of trying to tactically match your troops.
    http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/06/xcom-enemy-unknown-interview/
  • HisDudness 10 Oct 2012 15:42:14 983 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just a quick question: if a country panics to the point of leaving the XCOM project, are they ever recoverable? Will missions still happen there, and is it worth it to launch satellites for them?

I've lost Argentina and Egypt because I avoided 'very hard' missions there after I lost all my vets in the first terror mission.
  • StevilKnevil 10 Oct 2012 15:47:19 310 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I downloaded the demo for this yesterday but have since heard it's not great.. so. Do I..

Play demo and risk being a little put off of a game I have been waiting so very long for or..
    Delete demo and wait for postie tomorrow?

It's the 360 version.

I know I might be coming across a little like that BlizeH fella. but the antcipation is killing me here!

GT: SteviL UK PSN: SJM2007

• KingOfSpain 10 Oct 2012 15:49:42 5,187 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Play the demo and then read the RockPaperShotgun article that was linked to a few pages back explaining why the demo isn't a true reflection of the full game.

Edited by KingOfSpain at 15:53:40 10-10-2012
  • shamblemonkee 10 Oct 2012 15:50:19 14,395 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The demo is very handholdy but should let you glimpse what the full game is like.

It never lets you get to grips with the strategic side but will give you a fairly solid experience of the tactical side once you get ot the final mission in the demo
  • agparrot 10 Oct 2012 15:50:44 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    StevilKnevil wrote:
    I downloaded the demo for this yesterday but have since heard it's not great.. so. Do I..

Play demo and risk being a little put off of a game I have been waiting so very long for or..
    Delete demo and wait for postie tomorrow?

It's the 360 version.

I know I might be coming across a little like that BlizeH fella. but the antcipation is killing me here!
    Haha.

So long as you go into it with your expectations suitably prepared, I'd say have a go at it - you get a chance to set the brightness levels for your TV, feel what the controls are like, have a quick gander at the graphics and muck about with shooting, grenading, firing a rocket and using a couple of the class-specific skills once you get to the second, still highly scripted, narrow, easy mode, mission.

The music and sound is great, too.
  • StevilKnevil 10 Oct 2012 15:57:38 310 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    OK thanks everyone. Read the article. fired up Xbox.

I'm going in!

GT: SteviL UK PSN: SJM2007

• Deleted user 10 October 2012 15:59:03
    The demo was a bad idea, should be longer then it wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • Rodriguez 10 Oct 2012 16:07:47 1,097 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got the e-mail earlier that I've been waiting for, shopto have dispatched \0/

Really looking forward to getting started (hopefully tomorrow), though I know there is going to be a high level of attrition amongst the rookies whilst I get my bearings!

Does anyone here who's playing already and got the 'classic xcom soldier' know if he's gone for good if (when ;)) he dies? Can you have more than one of him?
  • shamblemonkee 10 Oct 2012 16:10:14 14,395 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The flat top hair can be applied to any squaddie through customisation.
  • Rodriguez 10 Oct 2012 16:15:20 1,097 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    The flat top hair can be applied to any squaddie through customisation.
    Ah sweet! Thanks shamblemonkee!

Hmmm, wondering what difficulty to go for now. Tempted by the sound of Classic difficulty but without the Ironman option, at least initially...
  • SuperBas 10 Oct 2012 16:36:09 1,453 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone else extremely disappointed that you can't see the insides of an alien after the science team dissects it?
  • AaronTurner 10 Oct 2012 16:38:00 7,747 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have noticed the enemies not moving until triggered thing but haven't played enough to know if it's a real problem or not.
  • El_MUERkO 10 Oct 2012 16:39:03 17,037 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My best Assault guy R&G'd into a pack of three Muton's

R.I.P Jebus :(
  • RedSparrows 10 Oct 2012 16:41:30 22,764 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Are they not moving due to being dumbasses, or are they not moving due to doing something or other in a fixed place?
  • PenguinJim 10 Oct 2012 16:44:40 5,865 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SuperBas wrote:
    Anyone else extremely disappointed that you can't see the insides of an alien after the science team dissects it?
    Holy crap... that sectoid autopsy MADE the original. o_O It hadn't even crossed my mind that highly scientific autopsy cartoons WOULDN'T be in this!

Hmmm... my order hasn't been despatched yet... thinking about cancelling now.
  • SuperBas 10 Oct 2012 16:48:10 1,453 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Hmmm... my order hasn't been despatched yet... thinking about cancelling now.
    You should, it really is a dealbreaker.
  • PenguinJim 10 Oct 2012 16:50:03 5,865 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wait... a thought has occurred! PC version! AUTOPSY MODS! :champ:
  • RedSparrows 10 Oct 2012 16:55:52 22,764 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do you miss being able to see a blurry alien liver?
    DOWNLOAD NOW!
  • rudedudejude 10 Oct 2012 17:05:30 2,178 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Question, how interactive is the environment? i.e. can you blow up cars and things to take out enemies, use the enviro tacticilty to your advantage?
  • RedSparrows 10 Oct 2012 17:08:22 22,764 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yer.
  • fletch7100 10 Oct 2012 17:11:33 7,320 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @rudedudejude

Destroy cars,make holes in walls, some cover can be destroyed,
  • PenguinJim 10 Oct 2012 17:13:03 5,865 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    rudedudejude wrote:
    Question, how interactive is the environment? e.g. can you blow up cars and things to take out enemies, use the enviro tacticilty to your advantage?
    You can't aim at the environment, you can only hit it accidentally (right?). So it's less tactical than the original.

Or am I wrong? You can't aim freely, can you?
  • fletch7100 10 Oct 2012 17:22:14 7,320 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Free aim with rocket launcher and grenades I believe. So more tactical as only certain members can destroy certain parts of the environment on purpose instead of everyone. Gunfire can destroy cars, car is on fire for one turn then explodes. Gives you time to escape the blast if it happens to you
    So if you aim at someone behind destructible cover your gunfire may destroy the cover but you can't free aim you gun at the cover I believe.
    No idea what the Shiv(the mini me support tank) weapons are probably just guns don't know if you can add missiles to it

Then again I haven't played the game yet just going off preview videos. This should turn up in to post tomorrow :)
    So I'm probably chatting BS as usual
    Edited by fletch7100 at 17:24:23 10-10-2012

Edited by fletch7100 at 17:29:27 10-10-2012
  • onestepfromlost 10 Oct 2012 17:35:05 2,070 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is anyone else finding money to be a real limiting factor tho their progress?
  • WrongShui 10 Oct 2012 17:36:30 6,619 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Loving the blaster bomb launcher. Fun but not overpowered like the original.

The alien base mission followed by a fail raid on a very large UFO has left me with 6 of my 8 majors dead. Gonna be rough.
  • Trafford 10 Oct 2012 17:57:30 5,791 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    Is anyone else finding money to be a real limiting factor tho their progress?
    Yeah, I'm skint. Have you been on the Grey market?
  • fletch7100 10 Oct 2012 18:05:20 7,320 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Doesnt One Of the starting locations give you extra 30% money from committee

Sell items off on grey market you don't need. Keep a few as some countries may ask you for dead bodies etc

Do you get more money per satellite you have up around the world ?

Edited by fletch7100 at 18:09:04 10-10-2012
  • onestepfromlost 10 Oct 2012 18:56:26 2,070 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sold some stuff on the grey market, but hard to find what to sell since a lot of stuff gets used to make things. I remember dead bodies were always a good money maker in the original since you only needed one.
    Might look into that starting location next game.
    As for satellites, thats my hurdle just now, spent most of my money before i had build a new uplink and satellites to go with. Stupid move. going to concentrate on getting those up and running next playthrough.
  • Bremenacht 10 Oct 2012 19:55:59 18,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can you recruit engineers and build stuff to sell in this version?
  • Page

of 130 First / Last