XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 28

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• Murbal 10 Oct 2012 10:47:44 22,094 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I will name them after forumites in this thread.
  • UncleLou Moderator 10 Oct 2012 10:50:50 35,517 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    One mistake can mean the end of your best soldier, leaving you with a squad of rookies who have no special abilities and who couldn't hit a barn door with another, bigger barn door.
    I've seen the "mistakes" thing in a few reviews, but in reality, you can lose everyone at any time without any mistake, no? Even "full cover" just means "pretty good cover, and only from straight in front", and critical hits can mean instadeath. Your men will die, even if you play perfectly, and I think that's one thing one has to keep in mind to avoid frustration: losses are unavoidable.

Edited by UncleLou at 10:51:34 10-10-2012
  • neilqpr 10 Oct 2012 11:07:28 2,845 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played the demo last night, and while it was very basic and relatively easy it convinced me to get this rather that Dishonoured on Friday. Will make for a nice change of pace I reckon.
  • RedSparrows 10 Oct 2012 11:30:18 22,337 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Come on Friday! I got a whole weekend free, pretty much. Screw the PC, I want it now.
  • woundedk 10 Oct 2012 11:40:30 46 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    I've seen the "mistakes" thing in a few reviews, but in reality, you can lose everyone at any time without any mistake, no? Even "full cover" just means "pretty good cover, and only from straight in front", and critical hits can mean instadeath. Your men will die, even if you play perfectly, and I think that's one thing one has to keep in mind to avoid frustration: losses are unavoidable.
    Exactly. I saw how "full cover" is not full cover when my best sniper got critically hit and instakilled on normal difficulty. I'm still very early in the game so he was not that good really, but nobody's safe. Rookies die left and right anyway and are therefore good candidates to carry the arc throwers :)
  • munki83 10 Oct 2012 11:52:08 1,412 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really looking forward to starting this on Friday(PC version ftw). I've never really played an xcom game before. I played a bit of xcom interceptor when I was about 13/14 and I wasn't very good at it. My mate use to play xcom all teh time so will bug him for tips. But so far its looking great and I cant't wait
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 12:03:55
    Didn't like how you can get hit still even though you have high ground and behind cover. There is no shot but it still hits.
  • RedSparrows 10 Oct 2012 12:10:43 22,337 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I never liked it how an alien could snipe me from across the map in the original - there's always a small chance of a total fluke.
  • 1Dgaf 10 Oct 2012 12:16:25 3,801 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My copy is on its way. I played the demo three or four times yesterday. I was experimenting with different tactics. The system isn't quite as flexible as I like, but i hope to get used to it.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• Deleted user 10 October 2012 12:20:56
    1Dgaf wrote:
    My copy is on its way. I played the demo three or four times yesterday. I was experimenting with different tactics. The system isn't quite as flexible as I like, but i hope to get used to it.
    Felt the same, surprisingly ign are the most critical of this saying tactically it is limited and the maps restrict your options to only a couple.
  • daft 10 Oct 2012 12:24:40 535 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Litterally spent ages using pairs of soldiers with bounding overwatch. Really challenging getting the shooter i a good position to cover the runner that usually dashes ahead (but not outside the covering soldiers field of fire) to scout and flush out aliens. Will spend massive amounts of time with this (knock on wood).
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 12:43:28
    The reason you can get hit in full cover is because it is just that; cover. Not hidden. I'd guess taking damage when you are elevated and in cover is reflecting that also - the soldier would not spend all their time behind the cover totally hidden otherwise they cannot see anything going on or know if their position is safe.

In terms of the maps - I actually do not mind they are not random this time, as it helps to fix them in place as real places. The enemies are still randomly generated and stuff so thats all that matters to me. Cannot wait for this, I came so close to finishing the original and I know Ill finish this one this time.
  • rudedudejude 10 Oct 2012 14:32:31 2,163 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not played the demo yet - itching to!

Though it sounds to me like sending the rookies in first as meat shields and keeping the pros back to pop off the uglies is a sure fire tactic to keep the family together?
  • RedSparrows 10 Oct 2012 14:43:27 22,337 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I'll go Ass-Supp-Snip-Heavy and then add an Ass and a Supp.

But who knows.

You can never have too much Ass.
  • Schmove 10 Oct 2012 14:46:37 107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Felt the same, surprisingly ign are the most critical of this saying tactically it is limited and the maps restrict your options to only a couple.
    Really? Isn't that pretty bad for a strategy game? My main worry would be battles just turning into a war of attrition?
  • RedSparrows 10 Oct 2012 14:49:02 22,337 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    1) Never trust IGN
    2) I don't get the impression it's 'always use Heavy to do A, then use Support for B+C', rinse, repeat.
    3) The original didn't have much scope beyond the select few general options. It's usually more about map and positions.
  • agparrot 10 Oct 2012 14:50:19 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I think I'll go Ass-Supp-Snip-Heavy and then add an Ass and a Supp.

But who knows.

You can never have too much Ass.
    Apparently the Ass. is really well rounded, it's too easy to imbalance things with the Heavy, the Snip. cuts too many corners and the Supp. is always tenuously thirsty for bullets.

This day, the day before I hope mine arrives, is dragging on and on very slowly.
  • shamblemonkee 10 Oct 2012 14:51:01 14,327 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tactically limited in what way?

I mean i'm only a onth and a half in and there's already plenty of tactical thought needed in the battles, which are in no way ones of attrition.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 14:57:00
    Schmove wrote:
    revan8 wrote:
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Really? Isn't that pretty bad for a strategy game? My main worry would be battles just turning into a war of attrition?
    watch their video review, explains it.
    Basically the maps are often small and so don't allow for my options.
    Also aliens don't actually do moves until you come across them so you always know you safe to re load etc.
  • KingOfSpain 10 Oct 2012 15:15:22 5,187 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Both of those points appear wrong from what I've played so far.

Yes the maps are slightly smaller than in the original, but I would never call them "small". I've also never been short on tactical options. Xcom is a game of compromises. You can never do exactly what you want so you have to always try to find the least worst option. A lot of my tactical decisions have come from trying to out flank the Aliens while keeping in cover, this is harder than it sounds with only 4 or 5 soldiers (not got the 6th soldier upgrade yet.)

As for the aliens not moving. Isn't that dependent on the mission type? I've had them move towards me in a couple of missions. In the terror missions they are running around killing civs for example. In others they are on patrol. In some missions they will stay where they are, especially if they are guarding their downed UFO.
  • agparrot 10 Oct 2012 15:16:14 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Maybe the IGN guy played it on Easy?
  • shamblemonkee 10 Oct 2012 15:18:51 14,327 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    that IGN bit seems a bit confused - enemy placement is randomised, as are VIPs and so on, although of course maps are static but drawn from a large pool.

i've certainly been caught out by enemies and would, so far also say that there has been a nice mix of narrow and expansive maps.

Jake soloman has previously said the aliens will run patrols and all that sort of stuff, bit weird if that were ot only happen once discovered.

maybe these are some of the difference between easy, normal and classic though

EDIT: what KoS said.

Edited by shamblemonkee at 15:21:46 10-10-2012
  • RedSparrows 10 Oct 2012 15:21:24 22,337 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe it's a sign IGN need to fucking sort their act out: even if they are correct, it's not clear.

Terrible website.
  • agparrot 10 Oct 2012 15:25:39 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also the IGN guy couldn't sound less interested in it if he tried. It's like his entire monologue is a mild annoyance that is preventing him from getting back to something more important, like... well, tipping cows or something.

I appreciate he thinks that the alien styles are drawn from the "90's paranoia" view of aliens, but this is such an oversimplification of the things that informed and shaped the first game that I sort of found it difficult to take anything else he said seriously. I'd like to know what other tactical options, specifically, he thought the original contained that this version does not, so that I can get an idea about whether this reduction in is as a result of something specific. Does he just mean that you can't unload 14 rookies from a Skyranger and surround a small UFO, so that 'tactical option' is taken away from you?

I accept that he has played it and I have not, however, so I won't be a big bitch.
  • shamblemonkee 10 Oct 2012 15:26:41 14,327 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looking around - the IGN guy claims he played it on Classic mostly, that once he had a scanner upgrade he could see the enemies being static until in LoS.

however to counter that there are a fair number of videos of Aliens walking into LoS and then further co-ordinating attacks, rather than the player detecting them and then triggering the Alien movement phase.
  • onestepfromlost 10 Oct 2012 15:32:24 2,045 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    so crysalids still cunts. less so than original
  • StevilKnevil 10 Oct 2012 15:32:40 310 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    Also the IGN guy couldn't sound less interested in it if he tried. It's like his entire monologue is a mild annoyance that is preventing him from getting back to something more important, like... well, tipping cows or something.
    Heh, that just about sums up how I feel when I read IGN.

Mine's in the post. :)

Has it really been 18 years?! Wow that makes me feel old.

GT: SteviL UK PSN: SJM2007

• RedSparrows 10 Oct 2012 15:32:41 22,337 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It'd be shit if it's true: but nobody else has mentioned it.
  • KingOfSpain 10 Oct 2012 15:35:03 5,187 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If his argument is that there are less tactical decisions to be made because there are less soldiers to boss around, he obviously has a point, however, more importantly, less soldiers means the decisions you do take are much more important. Losing 1 soldier out of 16 (or whatever the number was in the original) wasn't the end of the world. Here, with only 4-6 guys you really have to think about everything you do. Now one death really matters.

Edited by KingOfSpain at 15:35:52 10-10-2012
  • Page

of 130 First / Last