XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 27

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• Trafford 9 Oct 2012 23:30:43 5,609 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Made my first big strategic blunder. Thought I'd rearrange my base a bit to cash in on adjacent bonuses. Left myself without the officers training facility and a big cash deficit with 20 days till payday.

The battles are going good on normal, just. Have 9 officers at sergeant or above. Love the combat, just done my first terror mission with a real sense of err terror.

That's my lot until Friday now .
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 Oct 2012 00:24:24 25,390 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is bloody great.
  • daft 10 Oct 2012 00:28:34 448 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fantastic. Utterly brilliant. Worth every penny.
  • Bremenacht 10 Oct 2012 00:28:57 17,598 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Order pending. :( Come on!!!
    At least two more days of xcom envy, reading this thread.

Any generalised views on the game as a whole? Or in respect of those review/preview criticisms? (Free-view, Intercept, Ant-farm)
  • El_MUERkO 10 Oct 2012 03:24:26 16,948 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    oh dear

/passes out
  • PenguinJim 10 Oct 2012 03:40:53 5,754 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does the UK not have any kind of boxed special edition other than the 40 one from Game? :confused:
  • fletch7100 10 Oct 2012 04:12:01 6,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @PenguinJim

No its just the elite soldier pack. Shopto, Tescos are selling same version as Game
  • PenguinJim 10 Oct 2012 04:44:47 5,754 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The one with the artbook and patch?
  • fletch7100 10 Oct 2012 05:05:58 6,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That special is PC only isn't it. Consoles just get the elite soldier DLC pack
  • Khanivor 10 Oct 2012 05:13:25 40,348 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well this sucks.

That I have to go to work in the morning.
  • phAge 10 Oct 2012 07:28:30 24,336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @UncleLou

Sounds like Normal Ironman for me, with Classic Ironman on 2nd playthrough. Ta!
  • AaronTurner 10 Oct 2012 08:39:43 7,591 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Certainly whilst you get used to the game normal iron man is pretty tough. I've lost nearly one man each mission although I may be turd.

I skipped the tutorials, were they any longer than the demo?
  • neilka 10 Oct 2012 08:44:26 15,623 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The tutorials go on to tell you about all of the aspects of the base, not sure if the skip tutorials option skips that or just the first missions.

I seem to have lost the trust of the whole of Africa, I guess I'm not getting them back...?
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 09:09:29
    Tried the demo last night.

It really reminds me of a game I used to play with mates on the PC around 1998 which in hindsight was probably a ripoff of the battle gameplay without the base strategy.

I'm definitely buying this come payday. Thought the presentation was excellent.
  • shamblemonkee 10 Oct 2012 09:26:33 14,256 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not for a long time has a game had me plotting and scheming while away from it.

there's a such a great sense of terror, amount of risk and then subsequent joy when something terrifyingly risky pays off :D

Had a real rollercoaster of an evening with it. India has jumped ship from the project and pretty much all of Asia is at maximum panic, so yeah that's not good.

Also failed to rescue a VIP from Argentina and lost my entire squad in the process - the final squad member panicked and ran out into the open where 3 thin men were waiting..... sigh!

I then had to abort the next mission after losing a further 2 squaddies leaving me with 3 active soldiers on the xcom project, with all my veterans in medical. :-o.

To counter that though the subsequent mission was an ass kicking tour de force! following a succesful UFO intercept I deployed my final 3 active soldiers and despite losing one i managed to kill 7 sectoids, 2 thin men, 1 muton and recovered a further muton and outsider.

FUCK YEAH! :D

back to base and then to ruminate on it being 5th april with only $18 in the bank.

Edited by shamblemonkee at 10:33:08 10-10-2012
  • daft 10 Oct 2012 09:35:36 448 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Certainly whilst you get used to the game normal iron man is pretty tough. I've lost nearly one man each mission although I may be turd.

I skipped the tutorials, were they any longer than the demo?
    Yeah, started a game with the tutorial on then restarted without it on. The certainly are longer with more base and research stuff in there. I'm not even entirely sure I was done with the tutorial when I restarted to be honest.

Can't wait to get home from work! Will start a proper save and get cracking busting aliens. had a horrific mission last night where Thin Men panicked half my squad by vomiting on them. :( yet quite :) at the same time.
  • onestepfromlost 10 Oct 2012 09:37:23 2,039 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    would play a bit of this just now, but i have to go into college today so better not :p
  • Leolian 10 Oct 2012 09:56:54 1,072 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Playing this no normal and it's just the right balance for me. Is ironman limited saves?
  • RedSparrows 10 Oct 2012 10:03:02 21,961 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fuck it, buying this for 360 on Friday.
  • shamblemonkee 10 Oct 2012 10:07:03 14,256 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Leolian Almost - Ironman is ONE autosave. Everything you do is cast in stone immediately. No undoing that mission where a soldier got poisened by a Thin Man - panicked, shooting at your medic who then also panicked and shot the poisoned guy dead :(
  • agparrot 10 Oct 2012 10:15:13 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    Just lost Postman Pat, 9 missions in. Taking a break to absorb my loss.
    This did make me chuckle, even though I'm sure that actually it is a harsh and sad thing.

Reading posts like shamblemonkee's really makes the wait that much more difficult, even though my copy has apparently gone in the post today.

I think I'm going to stick with Classic/Ironman, but allow myself to play the full tutorial, as this will clearly prepare me fully for the onslaught to follow.

I managed to lose my sniper in the demo after I accidentally told him to go up on a rooftop, unaware that the ladder was on the other side of the building, leading him out in front of two grateful thin men who shot him dead. That was on the preseet demo Easy mode, for goodness sake!

Ordering some more gaming lube for my inevitable rogering at the probes of little green, grey, orange and blue men.
  • Dunneh 10 Oct 2012 10:23:31 150 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is Xbox controller supported on the pc version chaps?
  • KingOfSpain 10 Oct 2012 10:26:05 5,187 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    After a couple of missions last night, I now believe renaming all my soldiers after the 1995 Blackburn Rovers Premier League winning team was a very bad idea.

Last night I lost both Graeme Le Saux and Tony Gale to Thin Man attacks and Tim "Shot-Stopper" Flowers, hero of 6 missions, only just survived being shot in the face by a panicking Chris Sutton!
  • Murbal 10 Oct 2012 10:27:12 21,920 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've met Tony Gale. True story.

Dunneh - I believe so, yes.
  • fletch7100 10 Oct 2012 10:28:14 6,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    From C&VG review

As a boy, Jake 'Long Shot' Harper always dreamed of shooting things from really far away. That ambition was realised in 2025 when he joined XCOM as a sniper. A veteran of 14 missions, Harper was killed in action last week while defending American soil from an alien invasion. He was torn in half by a giant insect, turned into a zombie, and gunned down by his own squad. Captain Harper is survived by his wife and daughter. Rest in peace, soldier.

Don't get attached. That's our advice. XCOM gives you the tools to customise your own squad - name, face, nationality, beard colour - but it'll only hurt you in the long run. Harper had been the backbone of our squad for hours. We'd given him custom armour, tweaked his appearance, and the game had even generated a nickname for him - a bonus reserved for your very best soldiers. Then, on our first encounter with a chrysalid, he was killed instantly.

It's genius, really. Firaxis know you'll get attached to these people, which makes you labour over every battlefield decision. One mistake can mean the end of your best soldier, leaving you with a squad of rookies who have no special abilities and who couldn't hit a barn door with another, bigger barn door. It's not cut-scenes or dialogue that give your squad personality, but their actions. Harper had saved countless comrades with perfectly timed headshots, becoming the squad's guardian angel - and we were genuinely distraught when he died. He was a one-dimensional grunt, but he was our one-dimensional grunt.

" So, Nicolas Cage was about to get eaten by a zombie, but Barack Obama had the high ground on the roof of a nearby pub..."

Little things like that just makes you feel more connected to the game
  • MrWonderstuff 10 Oct 2012 10:30:56 1,922 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Dunneh Yep.
  • KingOfSpain 10 Oct 2012 10:30:57 5,187 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Dunneh Yes, that's how I'm playing it. On my laptop with my 360 controller plugged in. I find it much easier to control. It's also handy when I connect my laptop up to my TV.
  • Dunneh 10 Oct 2012 10:33:51 150 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Great thanks!
  • shamblemonkee 10 Oct 2012 10:39:14 14,256 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Naming your soldiers after friends and faimly is a sure way to both hilarity and misery :p
  • agparrot 10 Oct 2012 10:43:15 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Naming your soldiers after friends and faimly is a sure way to both hilarity and misery :p
    For spiritual reasons, my first soldier will be:

First name: Corporal
    Second name: Jonlon

As it has always been in my UFO/XCOM playtime.
  • Page

of 126 First / Last