XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 23

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• tonyferrino 8 Oct 2012 22:06:32 178 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just don't play it then, and bugger off and let us enjoy it (and criticise after we've had the opportunity to see what the flaws are)
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 22:15:08
    Anyone see a time scale for the campaign? I'm desperate to get this but won't, for now, if long. Don't have enough time to play this a dishonoured.
  • Petrarch 8 Oct 2012 22:25:20 3,425 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finally had a crack at the demo at the weekend and loved it, really looking forward to this one now.

Loved the original games (though I wasn't so keen on Interceptor and ignored that Enforcer one back in the day) and the revamped version looks like something you can really get your teeth into. I honestly hope it's a success and it leads to Terror from the Deep getting the revamped treatment at some stage and if we're lucky, they'll carry the series on inside the rebooted timeline, for want of a better name.
  • Bremenacht 8 Oct 2012 22:48:44 17,600 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    The always worth a read RPS Wot I Think:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/08/xcom-review/#more-126769
    I always enjoy reading the RPS stuff, especially that by UFO superfan Alec Meer.

From the article you linked, Starchild:

If you are inclined to feel that there is simply no good reason to not replicate all that made X-COM great, I am inclined to believe that you simply will not abide XCOM, with all its alterations, omissions and new explorations.

I am even more inclined to believe that youíd be denying yourself a perfectly good time and what is for me comfortably the most absorbing and thrilling strategy game Iíve played in years. (I do not use that silly word Ďthrillingí lightly, but Iíll come back to that later.) Iíve been desperately worried about the game right up until the point that I played it. When I played it, I played it for some 50 hours and counting. I regret none of that time, I have missed showers, meals and Quality Time with girlfriend, cat and Dishonored in order to obtain it and I want to spend even more of it in XCOM instead of writing these damnable words.
    That's good enough for me, I reckon.
    That article was great. A really good read. Seems to be the case that...

- the core game works really well, even with no more than 6 units
    - the ant-farm is functionally useless and has..
    - ..no base invasions! Missed a trick there. Bet it would be too big.
    - the tech-tree has no dead paths e.g. research cow-probes or whatever
    - the intercept is as poor as it was before
    - difficulty options sound very well-judged

What with the current mania for 'hard' games, commercial success here could result in wonderful things for ufo/xcom fans (not the whining whingy ones of course, like that bulbous fartbag I've got on ignore)
  • WrongShui 8 Oct 2012 22:57:13 6,598 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    Anyone see a time scale for the campaign? I'm desperate to get this but won't, for now, if long. Don't have enough time to play this a dishonoured.
    Low end of twenty hours I think, the RPS folks have been playing it for 40 odd though.
  • lavalant 8 Oct 2012 23:07:45 1,266 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm a bit worried that this will be like Full Spectrum Warrior on the old Xbox, which I bought in the hope it was great like many reviews, but the cover thing just didn't work and wasn't enjoyable.
  • Machetazo 8 Oct 2012 23:51:25 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    uninspiredcup wrote:
    Played the demo, over-streamlined. This is getting over-praised simply because of the name and he fact its on consoles. Rather play shogun 2.
    There are quite a few who do not like this bastard child of X-com. But i have already been warned off of posting my opinion because its classed as trolling, apparently. I am looking forward to Xenonauts personally.
    Well, here's RPS' article on what you should know about the demo, FWIW.
    6) Do not worry about linearity. This demo will barely let you breathe because itís only the tutorial and some bonus cutscenes, and for that reason I think it might have been a huge mistake. Itís giving out the wrong impression entirely, and it doesnít reflect the ongoing tension of the constant decision-making the game involves.
    hm. I'd have liked to have seen some of that, tbh, but could be satisfied with first-hand reports of the truth of this decision making/tension.

If I were to rate the demo vs what I was expecting, out of ten, it was a seven.
    I had no idea what I was doing, and wouldn't have still were it not for the demo's structure wisely not presuming previous knowledge, so in that respect, I didn't find linearity to be an issue.

It seemed overly streamlined (fire command > enemy in target > very disconnected black/white percentage chance to hit) they either have a shot, or they simply don't, etc. With such a system, because of that absolute nature, it discourages me from experimenting much, because I know the shot/tactic works or it doesn't. There could have been more interesting interplay between squad members. Gear selection factored in not one iota, sadly - a sniper without a sniper com is just a guy with a gun! ;)

Except, they ALL felt like just people with guns. Character, beyond voice acting, felt completely redundant.

Also, at one point, the scientist lady mentioned that it would be a good idea to take the enemies captive rather than gun them down (the reference was in the China mission) and I found no way to do that, which I found disappointing. It's inspired me to look in to the game more, a lot has been achieved, and it's a quality product, but I'm not entirely sure that I agree on what they chose to focus.

Edited by Machetazo at 23:59:02 08-10-2012
  • Petrarch 9 Oct 2012 00:12:31 3,425 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The capturing of aliens alive in the demo is impossible alas - there's a weapon called the Arc Thrower which is used to stun rather than kill targets and we'll not get that until the full game.

It'll be an essential piece of kit, especially early on as it's the only way to capture not only live targets, but also to recover alien weaponary undamaged from what I've read.

Edited by Petrarch at 00:15:00 09-10-2012
  • RedSparrows 9 Oct 2012 00:23:47 22,001 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Game looks great. If you don't like the look, fine, but stop pissing on what appears to be a worthy effort from some faux-critical position. Tools.

Not you Mach!
  • Khanivor 9 Oct 2012 02:30:03 40,380 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So... pre-loaded and unlocked in under three hours. Do I stay awake for one wee game or wait till I get home, knackered as fuck, from work.

If I go to bed and ignore this then I will have been strong.
  • El_MUERkO 9 Oct 2012 02:41:06 16,949 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i have to go to bed, should have gone to bed 2 hours ago... but . . .
  • Khanivor 9 Oct 2012 02:44:50 40,380 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well if sleep treats me as normal I might decide to do more than have a piss at 3 this morning.

Then again, as I'm most likely to be asleep in the next hour perhaps I could just set my alarm for an hour early.

Feel a bit like a teenager again. Without the self-doubt and need to wank five times a day.
  • neilka 9 Oct 2012 07:05:24 15,641 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THE BOMB HAS GONE OFF

Now time for work :(
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Oct 2012 08:21:42 25,410 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have everything unlocked and readyto go.

Now I just need to get the fuck out of here. In around 9 hours... :(
  • Trafford 9 Oct 2012 08:41:44 5,611 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Question about Vpn, do you need to change your settings back, or does it revert when the trial expires?
  • Murbal 9 Oct 2012 08:55:18 21,921 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    THE BOMB HAS GONE OFF

Now time for work :(
    Easy mode \o/

Don't judge me.
  • AccidentProne 9 Oct 2012 09:04:02 1,152 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pfft, classic ironman mode for me. Well, until I become tired of getting my arse kicked and restart on easy...
  • BeheretiK 9 Oct 2012 09:12:56 883 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Trafford This is the first time I am doing the VPN thing and from what I have read, with Borderlands 2 anyway you had to keep it running, or at least running when you start the game, for the activation to stick. Apparently with Borderlands 2 it reverted if you did not have the VPN on every time.

Looks like I picked a good week to be off. Game unlocked and two missions in. Nothing complicated thus far but loving the (streamlined) feel of it! Only playing on normal though! :-)

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Trafford 9 Oct 2012 09:15:43 5,611 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @BeheretiK
    Cheers mate, still trying to get a code that hasn't expired!
  • shamblemonkee 9 Oct 2012 09:17:27 14,257 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had a quick bash on Classic difficulty this morning. two proper missions in and and i've lost 4 squad members already!

On my current mission I've not gone more than 20 meters and lost 3 of my squad. Only good old Flat Top hair remains.

I lost my first squaddie to a lucky pot shot when he was in half cover. The second got flanked when moving forward and poisoned by a thin man. the third was hunkered down behind a car; cars explode :(

Despite that though i'm not angry or anything, a few moments of :-o and then mad laughter. already know that i'm going to love this.

Only problem is i now have 7 hours of work to endure before i can go home and sacrifice more recruits to my alien overlords.
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Oct 2012 09:25:16 35,423 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    @BeheretiK
    Cheers mate, still trying to get a code that hasn't expired!
    I am not entirely sure what you two are talking about, but usually the trick is to pre-load, close Steam, turn on your VPN, open Steam, let it unlock, go to offline mode, turn off your VPN, stay offline until Friday.
  • Trafford 9 Oct 2012 09:31:04 5,611 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @UncleLou
    Yeah,I planned to stay offline. But how would I turn off the VPN? Is that automatic?

Aaand another code has expired. I did say I way a luddite.
    I guess it will all become apparent once I get the blinking thing to work.
    Cheers

Edited by Trafford at 09:32:48 09-10-2012

Edited by Trafford at 09:35:36 09-10-2012
  • BeheretiK 9 Oct 2012 09:37:08 883 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, I was just planning on keeping my VPN connected until Saturday or so! I'm not using a trial VPN so I guess that might make a difference. It means I cannot access Iplayer etc for a few days but definitely worth it! :-)

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• UncleLou Moderator 9 Oct 2012 09:38:53 35,423 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It depends on what VPN you use, but usually you would have to switch back to your usual network connection manually. Btw., when I said "stay offline", I meant "use Steam in offline mode", but you can use your PC normally online without a VPN, in case that wasn't obvious! :)

Edited by UncleLou at 09:39:37 09-10-2012
  • shamblemonkee 9 Oct 2012 09:44:20 14,257 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    what's all this talk of codes? use spotflux and it's as easy as installing the spotflux, loading steam, letting it unlock. turn steam to offline mode, and hey presto!
  • Trafford 9 Oct 2012 09:51:18 5,611 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's sorted now chaps.
    I used flyvpn, your suggestion would have been better Shamblemonkee.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Oct 2012 09:56:37 25,410 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just use Hotspot Shield. Once Steam is in offline mode, just disconnect and Bob's your space uncle.

Think I'm going to go for a Normal Ironman run first. Ease myself in.
  • WrongShui 9 Oct 2012 10:26:03 6,598 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Classic Ironmode is a bit of a bitch, I'm tempted to drop down to normal too.

Edited by WrongShui at 10:26:10 09-10-2012
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 10:33:12
    As someone who has never played X-Com before and new to the genre, am I likely to struggle to get into this?

Liked what I've seen over the last few days enough to make have a punt when it comes out.
  • Page

of 126 First / Last