• Page

of 130 First / Last

• agparrot 6 Jan 2012 11:34:51 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    TURN-BASED OR GTFO
    Yes, that's why this one is so cool:

"The huge feature in February's Game Informer goes into all the gory details of XCOM's destructible tactical environments, the interaction between the real-time strategic view and the turn-based combat, how the XCOM organization improves its capabilities as the war rages on, and much more."

I can't remember the last time I wanted to buy a paper games rag.
  • figgis 6 Jan 2012 11:35:49 7,382 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    agparrot wrote:

I can't remember the last time I wanted to read the scans from a paper games rag.
  • Machetazo 7 Jan 2012 00:14:45 6,372 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Game Informer's Cover Story for January is this. Meaning, that throughout the month, they'll accumulate on that page a focus of coverage on the game. All kinds of articles and features.

Just gone up since the cover reveal article, is a video interview with the XCOM: Enemy Unknown leads that covers their feelings about the original series, and the studio's approach to the new game (they mention that they actually have a lot of ex-Microprose staff with them now, and suggest that the studio's essentially a hotbed buzzing with excitement for the franchise!)

Edited by Machetazo at 00:16:21 07-01-2012
  • 4gate 7 Jan 2012 00:58:39 362 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Great interview, they say all the right things. Excitement overload now.
  • Deleted user 7 January 2012 01:24:27
    Just read the full press release and it's looking more likely VC is a main influence on this. Get hyped people!
  • Mekanik 7 Jan 2012 01:31:02 3,735 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This looks great. Something to look forward to later in the year :)
  • Psychotext 7 Jan 2012 01:46:16 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hindle wrote:
    Just read the full press release and it's looking more likely VC is a main influence on this. Get hyped people!
    One of my favourite games this gen.

Megahype.
  • RedSparrows 7 Jan 2012 14:15:53 24,238 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes please.

Now.
  • HisDudness 7 Jan 2012 14:19:40 1,013 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hindle wrote:
    Are we talking VC as in Valkyria Chronicles, or is this another acronym I'm unfamiliar with?

Guess I should read the press bit.
  • Khanivor 9 Jan 2012 18:35:03 41,261 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Looks shite, do not want.

/faps over base pic
  • Tabasco 9 Jan 2012 18:41:25 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Typical that they use the 360 version too.
  • RedSparrows 9 Jan 2012 18:42:03 24,238 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    unghhhhh give it nowwww
  • Deleted user 9 January 2012 18:42:31
    News of this announcement led me to play the original for several hours. Still good, even today. It almost makes me think a remake is pointless when the original still plays so well. The ground battle screen does not impress me in the slightest.
  • RedSparrows 9 Jan 2012 18:49:47 24,238 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    UFO is perhaps the most ageless game I have, other than Civ 2. In fact, it's probably more so than that, given how it's ALWAYS a bastard to you.

The ground combat screen isn't that exciting, but it's not about the visuals et al for me. It's about the FEAR.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2012 18:52:05
    Doesn't look like there'll be much fear. Those visuals almost look cartoony.
  • RedSparrows 9 Jan 2012 19:02:10 24,238 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    UFO's visuals weren't exactly horror film either. The fear, as you know, comes from the power and unknown nature/location of the enemy.
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2012 19:03:47 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aye, I don't recall the graphics being anything other than cartoony. Everything was very over the top.
  • Kafeen 9 Jan 2012 19:03:55 555 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Doesn't look as much like the original as I was hoping. I'll wait to see how it turn out.
  • Bremenacht 9 Jan 2012 19:26:02 19,663 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't imagine that base view being used for turn-based battle, unless they're doing something imaginative.

At least the turn-based bit is confirmed, along with the traditional 'real-time' globe bit.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2012 19:34:06
    The graphics at the time were vaguely cartoony because there wasn't a lot else you could do with isometric graphics at the time, if you wanted them to actually be clear as to what the christ was going on.

But their basicness contributed a lot to the atmosphere anyway. Your brain filled in the blanks, rather than polygons.
  • agparrot 9 Jan 2012 19:37:30 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    News of this announcement led me to play the original for several hours. Still good, even today. It almost makes me think a remake is pointless when the original still plays so well. The ground battle screen does not impress me in the slightest.
    I've been playing the original, too - had the pesky aliens invading my base today after my plasma defences hit only 1 out of 6 shots. It's hard to determine whether almost everyone dying in order to save my hugely expensive base from destruction was worth it, but this attachment to all the Gudruns and Jonlans was one of the things that gave the first game character.

Don't really give too much of a hoot how the new game looks, as what is important is stuff like this quote:

So this is some kind of RTS?
    No, not in the way the term "RTS" typically applies to games like StarCraft. The real-time element of XCOM is confined to the global view, where the player keeps track of known UFOs and abductions going on around the world. Managing research and development at the XCOM organization's secret base can be done at the player's leisure, and all combat is completely turn-based.

What you say is true, though, meme - if the game is just the same, I may as well play the original.

Although a bit of 'streamlining' wouldn't go amiss in the base, loadout and resource/research management screens from UFO: Enemy Unknown. There are quite a few pointless confirmation panels and a lot of OKing and CANCELing that could be smoothed over not just because it has to work on a console, but because a lot of the menu stuff is surprisingly clunky in the original. Even just adding troops, their armour and weapons to a ship that can carry them has needless steps where there is a separate screen for each of those things, when it could be done in a neat loadout screen on a per-soldier basis. This would also prevent soldiers that keep the same armour, but whose weapon loadout depends on what order they appear in the passenger list, and other little foibles that I'd never really taken into account previously.
  • El_MUERkO 9 Jan 2012 19:43:19 17,146 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was interested, then I saw it was coming to console.
  • Kafeen 9 Jan 2012 19:57:55 555 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    Don't really give too much of a hoot how the new game looks, as what is important is stuff like this quote:

So this is some kind of RTS?
    No, not in the way the term "RTS" typically applies to games like StarCraft. The real-time element of XCOM is confined to the global view, where the player keeps track of known UFOs and abductions going on around the world. Managing research and development at the XCOM organization's secret base can be done at the player's leisure, and all combat is completely turn-based.
    That sounds good but parts like this:

Is this going to be dumbed down for the "wider console audience"?
    Firaxis is undeniably streamlining aspects of the game and removing no small amount of micromanagement
    worry me slightly and make me wonder what's been removed.

Edited by Kafeen at 19:58:17 09-01-2012
  • Lukey__b 9 Jan 2012 20:30:24 3,716 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Load outs and inventory management could be a pain. Some of the menus as well.

Hopefully that's the kind of streamlining they're talking about.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• TechnoHippy 9 Jan 2012 20:35:53 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    I was interested, then I saw it was coming to console.
    The original came out on console.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Bremenacht 9 Jan 2012 22:50:37 19,663 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lukey__b wrote:
    Load outs and inventory management could be a pain. Some of the menus as well.

Hopefully that's the kind of streamlining they're talking about.
    Yeah, they could do a lot to ease inventory. A bit like what they did moving from Mass Effect 1 to 2. There is scope for improving this game - it's far from perfect. More varied maps for starters. Doing the ships on Terror from the Deep got to be a pain if you did it more than twice. Then there were the bugs in the development tree.

Anyone thinking of going through Terror from the Deep now should look up a wiki on how to avoid the ones that prevent game completion. You really don't want to sink 10s of hours into something you cannot complete. It's worth risking looking at spoilers to avoid them.

If people can produce a version of Civ that works on console, they can certainly do X-COM. Two versions would be excellent. MP would be good. An MP system which doesn't require all players to be logged on at the same time would be brilliant (a'la LSN)
  • Khanivor 9 Jan 2012 22:54:15 41,261 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is this out yet?

/twitches
  • Bremenacht 9 Jan 2012 23:02:58 19,663 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TechnoHippy - Just to clarify, you mean ported to console?
  • Whizzo 10 Jan 2012 00:29:17 43,352 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A rather good chat by the project leads about their love of the original game.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Scimarad 10 Jan 2012 06:38:43 8,635 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I played the original on the Playstation and that worked out okay.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last