XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 16

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• agparrot 3 Oct 2012 14:29:03 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    Yep there are a few bits and pieces in the video I don't think I have seen much of before. The geoscope seems to have a couple of view modes as well based on that.

The solider customisation tabs looks great as well.
    Yes, giving them abilities as they rank up was a fairly indistinct sort of idea until I'd seen the video, which... perhaps in a spoilery way, makes it pretty clear how that is going to be handled in the game.

I can't help but feel that as well as the pain of losing your customised, named soldiers being bad already, that having those abilities taken away from your squad dynamic is going to be even more of a loss.

I still think I'm going to go Classic/Ironman from the offset, even though the game will likely righteously punish me for it.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Oct 2012 14:29:59 41,839 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Classic + Ironman + absolute arseraping is how I'm going to handle this as well.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• glaeken 3 Oct 2012 14:36:14 10,974 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The solider abilities look really good with you only being able to pick one at each level. That looks like it's going to give a lot of variety between soldiers that are even of the same class.

I think I will actually play normal on my first game just to get a handle on all the game mechanics. I then intended to go Classic + Ironman.
  • phAge 3 Oct 2012 14:43:10 24,280 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, uh, the mouse lag I'm experiencing - I assume no-one else has it? Any idea what could be causing it on a rig that otherwise handles the game just fine?
  • neilka 3 Oct 2012 14:45:43 14,935 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You've probably tried it already but apparently turning off V-sync helps with the mouse lag.
  • speed182 3 Oct 2012 14:53:01 895 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Someone from the 2K forums has a solution for the mouse lag that works for some, not tried it myself.

Enter OneFrameThreadLag.... what is this, you say? I'm not sure, but it has something to do with the mouse lag in Unreal 3 games. Go into the BaseEngine.ini file in the config files, find the variable OneFrameThreadLag, and set it to "False".
    http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?143121-Mouse-lag-solution

Edited by speed182 at 14:57:40 03-10-2012

PSN ID: DJSpeed14
    Follow me on Twitter: Speeedy14

• phAge 3 Oct 2012 14:55:27 24,280 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, tried both of those already, but the mouse movement still isn't anywhere near as responsive as on the desktop or in other games/applications. Y'all getting perfect responsiveness from the mouse in the demo?
  • speed182 3 Oct 2012 15:04:31 895 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ahh I just saw your previous post.

My mouse was lagging. V-Sync off made a slight difference but couldn't stand the amount of screen tearing! It was lagging at the Expo too.

I'm just hoping it's sorted for retail.

PSN ID: DJSpeed14
    Follow me on Twitter: Speeedy14

• phAge 3 Oct 2012 15:15:23 24,280 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, as long as it isn't just me, I suppose I'll be able to live with it.

/is weird like that

Anyway, massively, massively stoked for this. Spent a fair few weeks playing the original on DOSBox a couple of months back - apart from the graphics it has aged wonderfully. And still a right bastard when you get further on.
  • shamblemonkee 3 Oct 2012 15:29:57 14,036 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @phAge was fine for me - at least not enough for me to notice it. :-s
  • phAge 3 Oct 2012 15:43:48 24,280 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, it's not like it breaks the game or anything - just a distinct sluggishness to the pointing that makes accurate targeting and navigation a bit harder than it should be. And I'm definitely keeping v-sync on - tearing eugh!
  • Bremenacht 3 Oct 2012 20:20:31 15,739 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    A nice play through video on Gamespy for this today.

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/xcom-enemy-unknown/1226273p1.html
    That's excellent. I like little touches like the way squad members push open doors for a peek. Is that automatic? Little shield icons overlaying cover is a nice touch. Can you trigger explosions at all? e.g. blowing up cars?

Based on what's been seen so far, has anyone seen anything to indicate that the console versions are functionally inferior to PC? If not, I think I'll be getting that pre-order down.

ed. Ignore the explosions question - I've managed to play the vid to the relevant bit. :)

Edited by Bremenacht at 21:15:24 03-10-2012

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Trafford 3 Oct 2012 20:39:17 5,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Brem, the PC version allows a slightly higher zoom out , but that's it I think.
  • agparrot 3 Oct 2012 20:42:46 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jake Solomon goes undercover and tries to sell some copies of XCOM: Enemy Unknown ahead of time;

• Bremenacht 3 Oct 2012 20:55:39 15,739 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    @ Brem, the PC version allows a slightly higher zoom out , but that's it I think.
    Excellent. 360 version will do then.

Ta.

• MrWonderstuff 3 Oct 2012 20:56:17 1,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @agparrot Made me chuckle. He has certainly busted a gut promoting this game. Anyhow, it has been preordered here so he needn't try and sell it to me.

Edited by MrWonderstuff at 20:56:57 03-10-2012
  • fletch7100 3 Oct 2012 21:23:14 6,158 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There is a game spot video showing off the Xbox version. They seem pretty happy with the control pad and that it feels just right. Game is the same as PC Not streamlined or dumbed down. Can't wait. They mention that they feel like strategy games can work on consoles after playing this. Maybe turned based games can work well on console instead of RTS. Warhammer turned based games on consoles hopefully

Am tempted to change the soldiers names to eurogamer forum user names and post updates as the war goes on :)
  • Rodriguez 3 Oct 2012 22:25:29 1,080 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Been watching some classic UFO:EU vids today to remind myself of the original and damn it was good! It'll be nice to revisit this series after so long as I never played the other 'sequels'.

Just pre-ordered the 360 version of Xcom from Shopto for hopeful early arrival next week.... Either way, NEXT WEEK people!! Yeah :D!!
  • WrongShui 3 Oct 2012 22:31:06 6,574 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been playing UFO in anticipation, just up to Cydonia or bust. Plan to finish it off on the 10th in time for the new one.
  • Bremenacht 3 Oct 2012 23:59:45 15,739 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    Am tempted to change the soldiers names to eurogamer forum user names and post updates as the war goes on :)
    Naming the aliens after users would be easier though, eh? :D

• agparrot 4 Oct 2012 12:29:29 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, this is quite nice - the pitch video that Firaxis used to get 2K games to back them in making a new XCOM game!

It's another IGN Video Link. It's the first of the two video windows that you want to click. At the end is a snippet of Jake Solomon and the interviewer discussing some of the changes between concept and realisation.
  • glaeken 4 Oct 2012 13:07:41 10,974 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That is pretty cool. I like the torch lights in particular. I don't think that has made it in to the final game though based on the game play video's.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Oct 2012 13:35:24 41,839 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait CAN'T WAIT!

• Moot_Point 4 Oct 2012 13:36:34 3,488 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Meh. the original rules over this. Not sure it is worth 30.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• LeoliansBro 4 Oct 2012 13:39:30 41,839 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played it, have you?

• Moot_Point 4 Oct 2012 13:43:29 3,488 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The demo? Yes thanks.

Edited by Moot_Point at 13:43:45 04-10-2012

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• El_MUERkO 4 Oct 2012 13:46:28 16,831 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Moot_Point

The demo really does XCOM no favours, you'd be better off watching some of the play-through videos that show action from later in the game which shows its potential.

All the same I fully expect this game to be Marmite to some, Curry to others.

Edited by El_MUERkO at 13:48:43 04-10-2012
  • Moot_Point 4 Oct 2012 13:57:18 3,488 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well i have to admit that the demo was very underwhelming. I will see how i feel about it closer to release date, however i cannot see my pov changing much to be honest.

• LeoliansBro 4 Oct 2012 14:04:25 41,839 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You are right however . The original does, indeed, rule.

• Trafford 4 Oct 2012 14:05:22 5,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I normaly shy away from PvP multiplayer, but this looks like it could tempt me out.
    Chess with guns mmmyes.
  • Page

of 126 First / Last