of 130 First / Last

• RedSparrows 22 Aug 2014 11:20:20 23,260 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    90% chance to hit MY ASS
  • TAJB 22 Aug 2014 11:28:46 360 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Thin man poison is the bane of my existance. 500 miles away so a shot has 4% chance to hit, so they cause a poison cloud to be expelled from your own arsehole. Annoying as fuck.

PSN: Tiny_WeeMan

• convercide 22 Aug 2014 11:31:53 6,088 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    90% chance to hit MY ASS
    "95% chance to hit"
    Oooooh yeah, snipe the shit out of WHY DID THAT MISS?
    At least I have double tap...
    "95% chance to hit"
    This should hit...
    WHAT THE FUCK?

Edited by convercide at 11:33:04 22-08-2014

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• convercide 22 Aug 2014 11:31:53 6,088 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted

• LeoliansBro 22 Aug 2014 11:33:33 44,506 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    God damn it, I am definitely going to end up playing this again if I keep reading this thread.
    I just ordered Enemy Within this morning.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• robc84 22 Aug 2014 11:34:57 5,797 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is Enemy Within the same story, but with new soldiers, enemies and maps?
  • RedSparrows 22 Aug 2014 11:55:57 23,260 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, and some new special missions.
  • TAJB 23 Aug 2014 08:44:22 360 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I did the smart thing and started an NI campaign. It feels so easy compared to CI that I can make silly mistakes and not get anally fisted by alien probes. A few deaths because I got a bit slack but so far, I'm finding this extremely gratifying. I feel invincible, a 50% chance to hit in NI is equivalent to an 80% chance in CI. It's great :)

• robc84 23 Aug 2014 10:15:36 5,797 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah NI is the best place to start. I'd certainly recommend beating CI at some point though. Very satisfying.
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Aug 2014 10:48:45 17,181 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    God damn it, I am definitely going to end up playing this again if I keep reading this thread.
    I just ordered Enemy Within this morning.
    Good man, you are going to love it. It properly fucks you over now and again and has some brilliant maps.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Bremenacht 23 Aug 2014 12:10:22 18,719 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think NI and CI in Enemy Within are actually harder than the base game.
  • TAJB 23 Aug 2014 13:13:34 360 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I am gonna grab EW when I have completed EU on NI. Then I'll do an NIEW run and then a CIEW run. Then, because I'm insane, I'll probably do an IIEW run and cry the entire time.

• jabberwoky 23 Aug 2014 14:14:07 527 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I agree about NI being a lot easier than CI, which makes me really wish there was a difficulty in between so you could have a game that wasn't a cruise on the med but didn't ram your head down the toilet every time you made a mistake.

Any ideas on options to artificially make NI harder? I thought of randomising at least a percentage of your research. (Close your eyes run up and down selection and press OK). It would also make the game a lot more unpredictable. Incidentally I never used mechs at all and got through CI ok, so that would not make much difference.
  • TAJB 23 Aug 2014 14:22:15 360 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Maybe if you use some of the second wind options like randomising stats, the weapon damage range to be wider makes it harder becasue assault rifles and do 4 damage or 1.

• jabberwoky 23 Aug 2014 14:24:16 527 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I always randomise stats, but maybe randomising the weapon damage could make the battles more knife edgy and entertaining on NI.
  • Bremenacht 23 Aug 2014 14:39:31 18,719 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jabberwoky wrote:
    Any ideas on options to artificially make NI harder?
    Is this on EW? If not, getting EW will make NI a bit harder. There are some surprising difficulty spikes in there
  • jabberwoky 23 Aug 2014 14:49:33 527 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yes, I played EW. Main winning tactic was to inch people forward with mutual support, while it worked well I would prefer a game where you could throw your guys round the map a bit more easily and have a bit more fun, NI would do that but its too easy.

Fortunately there is a lot of customisation in the game so there must be options out there.
  • TAJB 23 Aug 2014 19:11:00 360 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Yeah I toyed around with the settings before I actually started my first run and the random weapon damage makes the game much more unpredictable. I think the definition it gives is that it increases the weapon damage range.

I don't know if that works both ways, I.E A laser Rifle damage if 5 and critical damage is 7 normally so you will do 3-5 damage dependant on armour ect. So with this activated it may be able to do between 2-6 or 1-6 damage.

Maybe looking at how it actually effects the game would be better than my shitty guessing. Shame I'm at work and can't use Wikipedia.

• jabberwoky 23 Aug 2014 22:58:07 527 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not so sure now, a lot of people say you can do 1 damage even when you have a shotgun wedged up its bottom. Could be tiresome.

I think I will do no shivs, 70% random research, maybe 50 lets not get carried away, aiming angles, all the random soldier stuff, no genes or mechs, normal I.
  • TAJB 24 Aug 2014 14:56:43 360 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Yeah I found that, a direct assault rifle hit can do 1 damage and the same character can get a 7 damage critical one turn later. May make the game somewhere inbetween NI and CI if you do 50% random research and no mechs.

Another plan to increase the difficulty may be to only use the same 4, 5, or 6 soldiers and don't level anyone else up? So when you get a support, a heavy, an assault and a sniper you have to stick with those as your main 4. When you upgrade to a 5 man team you put the next member of your squad in who has a promotion, regardless of what class he is and then the same again with a 6 man team.

This could mean that you end up with 3 Snipers, 1 Assault, 1 Heavy and 1 Support and you have to keep them in your team until one dies. It might be a good idea to say you can have one of each class minimum to avoid gaining a squad of Snipers.

You could end up with only 6 people who ever get past the Rookie stage if you get a decent enough team and you ace the game but that's the challenge. If anyone dies then you just scoop up the next rookie or squaddie in your lineup unless you need to cover a class.

I went into way too much detail there but I wanted to make sure it made sense. If it's all jibberish then try and decipher what you can and hopefully it can be a self implemented difficulty enhancer.

• jabberwoky 25 Aug 2014 12:25:44 527 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks for that idea, but I think I like lots of people in my team! I found a site (google game difficulty wiki xcom enemy within) which gives a lot of ideas and one of them is valkyrie, you can only use female soldiers. This means you have to spend a lot more on recruitment. Plus you get an achievement for that I think.

The random research is proving very interesting. Normally on classic you play the same way every time and pick the same stuff every time because the game is so unforgiving. Random research forces you to make the best of what comes up and you find yourself playing in very different ways. I also randomise the terror missions you go on except where one country is ahead on panic in which case you have to go there. Again the rewards make your game develop unexpectedly. Two side by side playthroughs and in one I have foundry and carapace armour in the other I don't but have better satellite coverage and more engineers. It forces you to compensate for weaknesses that arise so in the first game I must build engineers.

Classic Ironman simply would not allow you to play around like that.
  • basmans_grob 25 Aug 2014 22:05:39 326 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    gah. Last thin man one shotted VIP despite being behind full cover. Now got first terror mission while missing my assaults.
  • TAJB 25 Aug 2014 22:41:15 360 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @jabberwoky So, is there a specific way to run through your research to make CI easier? If so that might explain why I found it so hard. I didn't get beam weapons until my 3rd month.

• jabberwoky 26 Aug 2014 10:52:43 527 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rush to carapace, titan, beam and plasma. Even a rookie with titan and plasma kicks ass. Just go for any research that implies armour or weapons.

It goes without saying you put everything spare into satellites.

One way of making classic less brutal is to do the first month in normal and then classic from month 2. It gives you a good start.
  • AcidSnake 26 Aug 2014 10:58:38 7,285 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I just finished a normal run on Enemy Unknown and would like to try my hand at something a bit harder...

Should I go for Enemy Within or a regular Ironman or just up the difficulty?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• jabberwoky 26 Aug 2014 11:05:37 527 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Regular ironman if you have not done it before. Enemy within is not harder its just got more content and options. Classic is a lot harder than normal.
  • AcidSnake 26 Aug 2014 14:31:47 7,285 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers, I just don't want to risk not playing EW because I'll (probably) be kicked to the floor in ironman...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• TAJB 28 Aug 2014 08:54:23 360 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I feel that Ironman is the way the game should be played. I was doing a terror mission last night and the game crashed as it seems to every now and again. I'm praying that it starts from the begining of the map because I was doing fucking awfully. 4-5 zombies strolling about, limply slapping my soldiers to death for 9 damage a hit. 9 fucking damage? what are these zombies made of?

A few christalids running around still, opening up people like icepops and slurping their juices out. Nobody downed yet but everybody except my sniper had varying amounts of damage done to them.

Basically, what I'm asking is if you switch off during a battle in Ironman, where does it reload? Begining of the turn or the entire battle?

• convercide 28 Aug 2014 08:59:21 6,088 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm pretty sure it's the beginning of the turn.

• TAJB 28 Aug 2014 09:02:47 360 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Balls.

Well, looks like a few civvies are going to be left for dead then because this zombie onslaught seems a bit much for a few rookies in carapace armour with laser rifles.

• Page

of 130 First / Last