XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 127

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• TAJB 11 Aug 2014 19:12:41 445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Mr_Sleep Hey thanks, I'll try that out next time I'm given a choice. I've been choosing the area with the highest panic rating to try and lower panic and keep them in the council but I haven't been able to get any Engineers using this method. I'll try and build a workshop next to my Lab so I can buils a satellite uplink facility under my other one for an adjacency bonus ;)

PSN: Tiny_WeeMan

• Mayhem64 11 Aug 2014 19:13:56 685 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Given you need a certain number of engineers to build many of the important facilities in your base, then getting engineers via missions and putting up satellites over countries is generally more important than scientists.

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

• Mr_Sleep 11 Aug 2014 19:27:01 17,368 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, getting engineers from missions and then putting up satellites in areas that are close to leaving the council is a better method in many situations as you get the added finance. On my first play through I lost a few regions but subsequent play throughs, even on classic settings, I am able to maintain all countries at 100%.

You are a factory of sadness.

• robc84 11 Aug 2014 19:49:28 6,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've always tended to ignore scientists from missions where panic allows me a choice. Always go for the engineers, especially early on.

My current CI game is going pretty well. I lost a rookie on the first mission, but it was that fucking graveyard map which I hate. Got a satellite building in time for the council report, and currently researching beam weapons.

About to load up the first council mission (bomb disposal). This is where I first see thin men isn't it? They fucking horrible on classic.
  • basmans_grob 11 Aug 2014 19:59:07 413 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yup thin men there. Horrible horrible. However overwatch can often trap them on the roof of cars when they drop down
  • robc84 11 Aug 2014 21:23:36 6,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yep, RIP Sq. Chris Price. Caught out of position by random thin men drop after disposing the bomb.
  • TAJB 12 Aug 2014 16:16:50 445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Just so I'm clear, CI is Classic Ironman mode?

I love the graveyard map, it's one of my favorites.

After a few flawless missions, including getting the 'As A Scalpel' Trophy, I had levelled up a few other characters and got another sniper at last. 2nd mission in and a floater catches her on top of a van on the Highway(?) map. I think I had already triggered them earlier, they retreated and then found them again later because they weren't in view and when they were, the usual cutscene didn't play and they could fire on the first turn. R.I.P Mizugoki. You didn't get a chance to shine.

• robc84 12 Aug 2014 16:56:12 6,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @TAJB

Yeah, I'm just too lazy to type. :)

I screwed up though on my base. I was holding my satellite in reserve for just before the council report. Then I pressed X to stop but accidentally pressed it again and triggered the Council report without launching my satellite. So now I'm like $150 and an engineer down on where I should be.
  • TAJB 12 Aug 2014 18:57:29 445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @robc84 I still only have 2 satellite uplinks built. My 3 new Satellites will be ready 2 days before the council meeting though so I should be able to salvage some big countries. I changed the option to randomise all countries monies and engineers/scientists ect. Not sure if that was smart or not but I thought it would be funny to see Germany offer $60 per month while Nigeria offer $180 for my 'protection'. if you can call it that.

• robc84 12 Aug 2014 19:12:40 6,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I needed that cash to build an uplink too. Going to be a struggle to not lose a few countries by the next report.

On the plus side, squad sight is fucking awesome. I would have lost my entire team in my last game if it wasn't for my SS sniper.

Take a bow cpl Braun, take a bow.
  • basmans_grob 13 Aug 2014 09:57:21 413 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Danger with having an excellent sniper is they can get all the kills so all the promotions. Dunno if you have played though before but he will end up getting injured and if he is the only high ranked person it can really hurt
  • robc84 13 Aug 2014 11:45:22 6,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @basmans_grob

Yeah I've completed NI and CI before. I usually try to shoot with the other guys first and the sniper can finish them off if the others miss. I have a couple of fairly highly ranked snipers at the moment. I should probably rank up another one too though. I also have a decent heavy and and a few cpl guys I'm trying to rank up.
  • PenguinJim 13 Aug 2014 12:26:28 6,009 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    I think taking a sniper rifle would work out better...
  • robc84 13 Aug 2014 12:30:05 6,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    robc84 wrote:
    I think taking a sniper rifle would work out better...
    No need, he's that awesome :)
  • TAJB 13 Aug 2014 12:30:27 445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Lost Russia. Only Russia so it isn't that bad considering this is my second report and my first playthrough. I'm on CI which I think was a bit silly for my first time around but I'm coping quite well. I will be getting squad sight asap, I think a sniper may already have it unless I gave them Snap Shot. Got a few other countries in the danger zone but I should have enough to make some more satellites for the next meeting.

How important is it to fulfil council requests? I have a request for 3 UFO power supplies but I don't have any because I used my only one for research. Does it matter if this request times out?

• robc84 13 Aug 2014 12:51:07 6,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Russia is a tough one to lose due to the amount of cash they bring in. But one country after two council reports on CI is pretty good. Especially on a first playthrough. I'm approaching my second report and I should be able to keep everyone on board. Just. But only because I got lucky and got a terror attack in Germany, who were on Max panic.

Re council requests, I just pick and choose which ones to fulfil depending on whether I want the reward or not. As far as I'm aware there is not any penalty for ignoring them.
  • TAJB 13 Aug 2014 12:57:34 445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    That's okay then because I have about 4 days to get 3 power sources. Not gonna happen. Yeah I think because I randomised the countries monies Russia weren't worth alot to me anyway. Only about $100. It's the engineers I get from satellites that I dont wanna lose ;)

• TAJB 18 Aug 2014 13:43:58 445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Well, it happened. My missus died. First mission out, came in as a support. Mutton grenages her an my heavy while she was infront of a truck. She panicked, shot the heavy and sat there while the truck blew her up. No chance of survival.

CI mode is harsh. i've lost about 11 soldiers now. I haven't lost any other countries and had another council meeting. My satellite nexus wont be built in time and Egypt and India aren't best pleased at the moment. Might lose them in the next few weeks unless I can luckily accept a mission in those areas.

Damn this game is stressful.

• robc84 18 Aug 2014 14:33:09 6,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I got royally pissed off with this game last night.

All was going well. I'd lost 5 countries, but am now unlikely to lose any more for the rest of the game, and I'm still on track to get full coverage over NA and Asia. I've also only lost about 5 soldiers in total, and none in the last couple of months.

The I get a council mission. Target extraction. Van Doorn. On that fucker of a map.

So I edge forward, leaving my squadsight snipers well back and a support about in the middle. Bascially trying to get an even spread so I don't get caught out with the inevitable thin man drops after I reach the guy.

So I take out 3 groups of thin men (3 each) and get everyone reloaded and ready. On reaching van doorn I aggravate another 3 thin men. Ok fine. Take 2 of them out, and the other is right over the side so no immediate danger. Start running van doorn back.

Thin man drop x 3. Bit of a pain but I take them out. Going well so far.

Then next turn 4 (fucking 4!) thin men drop between my snipers and the skyranger. Bearing in mind they were within dashing distance of the skyranger. All of my overwatch shots miss. So both my snipers, my support and van doorn are all flanked by 4 thin men on overwatch. Fucking superb. I somehow managed to take out 3 of them, then dashed van doorn to cover. Obviously the overwatch shot hits and he dies. Somehow I managed to keep all my guys in 1 piece but failed the mission. 18 thin men down in that mission.

/Rant over.
  • TAJB 18 Aug 2014 16:05:09 445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Which map is 'that fucker'?

• robc84 18 Aug 2014 17:46:17 6,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm not sure if it's specific to that mission, but you start on like a highway with some cars and trucks. Then you have a bit of a no mans land with hardly any cover before it drops down to a big area down below. Then there is another raised area the other side.

It's horrible, especially for an extraction.
  • jabberwoky 18 Aug 2014 17:53:46 527 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know that map well. Don't get mad, get even.
  • Bremenacht 18 Aug 2014 17:56:21 19,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh dear. You don't take chances against Thin Men on overwatch - you have to assume they'll always hit.
  • robc84 18 Aug 2014 18:00:26 6,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Oh dear. You don't take chances against Thin Men on overwatch - you have to assume they'll always hit.
    I know but 4 of them dropped behind my position and I didn't have enough people with sight to take them all out.

Oh well, at least none of my soldiers died.
  • Bremenacht 18 Aug 2014 18:05:32 19,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hunker Down!
  • robc84 18 Aug 2014 18:11:37 6,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Critical hit or no, Van doorn still would have died if the next shot hit. So I played the odds and dashed for cover.
  • TAJB 19 Aug 2014 08:00:33 445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    It's a shame he can't have Lightning reflexes ;)

• Trafford 19 Aug 2014 08:15:16 5,970 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I quite like That Fucker.
  • robc84 19 Aug 2014 08:30:16 6,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's annoying because I had my troops set up quite well and if they had dropped anywhere else I would have been fine. But to drop 4 of them between my last line and the skyranger was, shall we say, unfortunate :)
  • Trafford 19 Aug 2014 08:49:18 5,970 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I need to finish my first EW campaign, was finding the variety in maps good.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last