XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 125

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 9 Dec 2013 14:04:10 17,186 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    ThrowingTuba wrote:
    I have now knocked the game down to 'Normal' and while it's certainly less frustrating, it's perhaps too easy.

So many tactical options (smoke / suppression / flanking) become practically irrelevant.

It's a shame there isn't a intermediary level really, a New Game+ might work.
    This. I'm playing on Normal (Ironman) and it's not even worth bothering with proper tactics, as my squad of hardmen kill pretty much everything as soon as they see it. CBA to do Classic, though, as I know from EU that it's more hard work than actual fun.

Somewhere in-between would be perfect.
    I found Classic to be okay this time around. The mechs and psy-soldiers make a big difference.

You are a factory of sadness.

• jabberwoky 9 Dec 2013 19:41:40 527 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    One option to get a difficulty between normal and classic (ironman) is to play the first month on normal, then switch to classic for the rest of the game. There are probably quite a few other things that could be done as the game seems to be quite customisable.
  • basmans_grob 13 Dec 2013 10:02:38 333 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    what are people doing with supports after they get tactical rigging? I always used the x3 med kit ability but reckon that after rigging I'll give most squad med kits.

At the mo I'm keeping my support in the a team (90will, 90 aim without scope!)but debating the need to train up a replacement.

Current run though is going so scarily well I'm even more nervous everytime I start a mission. Failed train slingshot mission but that's it. Got North and South amercia locked down and end of month will have either africa/europe done.

Just got into Exalt though, and my first meld spending (gene unlocks)
  • RedSparrows 13 Dec 2013 10:14:58 23,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Always train replacements.
  • muttler 13 Dec 2013 12:18:27 4,134 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fair enough, Classic is alot harder in EW in the early missions. Almost un-doable. I'll stick with it though, got Carapace armour and not long to go before laser weapons.
  • Mr_Sleep 13 Dec 2013 12:52:05 17,186 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    muttler wrote:
    Fair enough, Classic is alot harder in EW in the early missions. Almost un-doable. I'll stick with it though, got Carapace armour and not long to go before laser weapons.
    EW has introduced a new approach too as I have long been of the opinion that it's better to get the arc thrower up and running and get the plasma weaponry before lasers. It is tricky but it certainly helped me this time around. However, if you don't research lasers then you miss out on an important early weapon for the mechs. My mechs were largely rubbish until I finally got around to researching lasers!

You are a factory of sadness.

• RedSparrows 13 Dec 2013 13:59:26 23,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mec Troopers are a waste of space until they have the second tier gun, whatever it's called.
  • y2rich 13 Dec 2013 14:55:05 1,390 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mec Troopers are very handy early on as Bullet sponges to keep the fire away from your main troops until they get the tech to become a bit more useful.
  • basmans_grob 13 Dec 2013 20:14:31 333 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I should have stopped. effing sectapods when you have got normal guns
  • phAge 13 Dec 2013 20:55:39 24,386 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ouch! I've just raided the EXALT base (not sure if that is a spoiler) - just stormed in, guns blazing. Got hit exactly once.

Normalol.
  • jabberwoky 14 Dec 2013 11:30:13 527 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm looking forward to hitting that too. Little **stards have half inched about 1200 credits off me so far.
  • phAge 14 Dec 2013 13:36:32 24,386 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cock. Seems I got complacent and lost my über-sniper to a Muton Elite.

Rushed her forward into unknown territory (crashed Overseer UFO), where she got point-blanked by one of the red bastards.

As she had a 2nd heart she only started to bleed out instead of die outright - unfortunately I had IN THE VERY PREVIOUS TURN used my last medikit on an almost unhurt captain, and didn't manage to finish off the level before she bought the farm. Missed it by one turn. Doublecock.

RIP, Col. "Drifter" Sato - your firm bum and deathdealing abilities shall be equally - and sorely - missed.
  • basmans_grob 14 Dec 2013 18:20:20 333 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To save my game I've got four missions in three days.

Abduction to pay for two plasma guns, it cost me the use of my major heavy for 16 days and two b listers as well in sick bay as well. One guy did take a full round mectiod to the face despite not having any cover (bloody wall burnt down)so I thought he would be going home in a jiffy bag.

Plasma guns needed to attack alien base to get worldwide panic down to save four countries from leaving (1 day until end of month, three of them already have sats up so I can't reduce their panic any more).

I've got a covert ops coming up in two days

and rumor has it that I'm likely to get attacked after attacking their base.

*gulp*

One successful mission that leaves any more a teamers in sick bay and i'm in trouble.
  • y2rich 14 Dec 2013 19:07:52 1,390 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished my first play through of Enemy Within Ironman Classic with a few second wave stuff activated. Game crashed on the final cutscenes which was a tad annoying.

My main issue is the final third of the game became too easy and I didn't lose a soldier from about halfway in. By the end of the game I had 9 Colonels who were all pretty much invincible (20 plus health each) and with no need to pursue meld by this time I had no reason to rush things. Meld needs to be added as a late game thing to make it a risk/reward type thing.
  • docrob 15 Dec 2013 09:10:13 294 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm playing through EW on Normal and it's possible that it's a bit too easy. I'm about half way through and I've only lost three soldiers - two of those in Canada. Not playing Ironman to be fair, but only two reloads, one on the mission mentioned and one on the base defence mission where I lost my best Support because they were all in standard equipment.

It's quite enjoyable kicking arse, but I may try Classic again after this. Found it immensely annoying before, but it may be better with the EW changed and perhaps some Second Wave changes. Is it worth getting the Slingshot DLC?
  • basmans_grob 15 Dec 2013 11:30:51 333 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I got slingshot at same time as ew. Not sure if the upgrade is worth it. EW already adds mission variety, slingshot does guantee a decent heavy though.
  • millerlfc 15 Dec 2013 13:57:10 371 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    basmans_grob wrote:
    I got slingshot at same time as ew. Not sure if the upgrade is worth it. EW already adds mission variety, slingshot does guantee a decent heavy though.
    Slingshot is built into Enemy Within isn't it?
  • basmans_grob 15 Dec 2013 17:03:34 333 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    it didnt for me, pc. might be different on xbox
  • y2rich 15 Dec 2013 21:10:58 1,390 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @millerlfc not on PC no. It's still an added dlc
  • Bremenacht 3 Jan 2014 18:09:22 18,761 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hadn't noticed that EW was on the Steam Sale as with EU. Just managed to get in before it ended.

Oh - it's still on at the sale price. Please, I'd rather not know if it's cheaper elsewhere.
  • phAge 3 Jan 2014 19:45:36 24,386 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just completed EW.

Final mission was clasic, classic XCOM: in my third turn my über-sniper (134 kills, gene-modded to the max and with a boatload of medals) is teleported inside some geometry in the final room. Had to finish the level with only 5 soldiers.

When I finally get there, the Master Etheral is standing just inside the doorway - 3 alien grenades, a flamer-shot and a burst of Collateral Damage from a MEC and the game is over. He never even had the chance to move. :)

Edited by phAge at 19:49:48 03-01-2014
  • Bremenacht 7 Jan 2014 02:16:14 18,761 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm loving this game. Went straight for Classic Ironman, but it started Normal Ironman instead. Does it switch to normal when you select Ironman? No matter - it's an excuse for some fun and cocky playstyle. It does seem rather easy for the most part, but the unexpected has caught me out so far.

A visit to a sinister Fishing Village. Landed something nasty, but although I finished the level, two troops got trapped and butchered. Nasty. Two of the other four were lucky to get out. Tense at the end, as those horrid things swarmed. A great level.

My first EXALT mission. Didn't really know what to do other than protect a zone. And something something EXALT comms, which (in hindsight) I guess means you have to use your operative to do something to those antennae, like in the other missions. So rather than take control as I guess you have to, I did the usual softly softly approach, which allowed the foe to take control of one zone pretty quickly and then drop in on the other side and pincer my troops. A big dollop of typical outrageous XCOM luck in the mix and I had myself a total wipeout. /o\

So, I'm now holding off doing the Base Assault while I do my research and building, and get those sats up. I know this will be a winning strategy, but it'll probably mean a much less challenging endgame. Oh well - there's always Classic Ironman! I honestly fear I might not get through those levels I mentioned above on CI. It will be so damn hard.

Edited by Bremenacht at 02:58:50 07-01-2014

Edited by Bremenacht at 02:59:25 07-01-2014
  • ardamillo 7 Jan 2014 07:16:09 525 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just noticed EU and EW are half price on Xbox at the moment, if anyone's interested.
  • drhickman1983 8 Jan 2014 11:16:09 413 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finally got Enemy Within. Hadn't played for a while so having to relearn the basic tactics, let alone learning the best way to incorporate the new stuff.

It's fun though, doing a Robocop and punching through a wall as a MEC sure is fun.
  • Bremenacht 27 Jan 2014 01:34:18 18,761 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, NI game done. Most entertaining. Some lovely levels with great set-pieces. The Base Assault! \o/ Quality fan service there. A really good level.

And so to CI, which is (perhaps predictably) vindictive and nasty. Oh how am I hating it just now, having sacked my best CI progress so far, after the last remaining rookies got wiped.

The balance seems a bit off in CI. After collecting the first 100 or so meld, it got too risky to go for containers within the time limits that were typically imposed. Dunno if the game changes those timings dynamically, in order to impose a form of rationing. Not that I'd have got as far as building the appropriate facility anyway, without better weapons and armour, by which time those fat fucks would probably turn up and end the game anyway. Bah.

A few things seems different from EU CI on 360. Full cover is rarely enough, especially against Thin Men. They seem to crit more too. I'm having to hunker down an awful lot more when in full cover. Line of Sight seems less reliable too, with quite a few instances whereby an alien was able to flank a trooper without reaction, and kill them from close range, even though they were on overwatch. That seems wrong. Railings seem to generate this effect, and sometimes those low-cover walls around the roofs of buildings. Some new LoS factor? PC version different? Whatever it is, it's annoying. On the plus side, I've seen no incidents of aliens 'teleporting' into my positions.

Couple more goes, and I think I'll have to leave it be. Very glad I did NI now.

Edited by Bremenacht at 01:37:29 27-01-2014
  • Bremenacht 27 Jan 2014 01:34:57 18,761 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Edited by Bremenacht at 01:37:02 27-01-2014
  • Mayhem64 27 Jan 2014 10:22:29 682 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I went through Classic (non Ironman) and didn't notice much difference to Classic for EU. Although in my case I deliberately made it harder as I was going for the Army of Four cheevo and thus didn't buy either of the squad size increases. Mimetic Skin is the gamechanger heh, especially with Squad Sight. Tag a group of aliens, pick them off, move to the next set.

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

• Dairyfree 27 Jan 2014 10:41:57 1,392 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Is it worth playing Enemy within before EU?
  • Bremenacht 27 Jan 2014 10:59:11 18,761 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You should play EW instead of EU. It's pretty much the same game with a load of great extra stuff.
  • muttler 27 Jan 2014 14:03:01 4,134 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Need to get back to EW and finish. Got a PS3 playthrough of EU that I need to finish as well, for the Trophiez.

Respect for trying to do Classic Ironman on EW, the early missions did my head in on normal Classic.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last