XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 13

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• jakuande 25 Sep 2012 07:31:57 192 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah the controls are a blatant console port, it also got annoying having to confirm everytime I wanted to use overwatch/ etc. All in all though the squad level stuff seems fine, I'm mainly worried about how much they've "streamlined" the research, manufacture and logistics side of things which is impossible to gauge in this demo.
  • RedSparrows 25 Sep 2012 07:44:23 23,253 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The manufacturing and research weren't very complex so hopefully it will be similar.
  • SlackMaster 25 Sep 2012 07:53:29 3,134 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not sure what to get it on... I have a choice of PC, PS3 or XBox. :s

I've stopped buying multiformat games on XBox so I guess that just leaves PS3 or PC.
  • LeoliansBro 25 Sep 2012 08:49:18 44,505 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Given what we've seen of the research tree vs the emphasis on most of the content being secret at this stage, I'm very hopeful for the research side of things. And with regards to aliens, the strange thing is that XCOM works some kind of alchemy and convinces you that it's a much larger game. There were only five aliens (plus terrorists) and only five mission types in the first game, for instance.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• KingOfSpain 25 Sep 2012 08:55:45 5,187 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone played it with the 360 pad? It actually works ok. In fact, I would say I think I prefer it to M&K. Had my laptop hooked up to my TV last night, and despite a fer problems getting the resolution right, it worked a treat!

Edited by KingOfSpain at 09:07:29 25-09-2012
  • FutileResistor 25 Sep 2012 09:44:44 1,238 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It seems thhe demo is set on the lowest difficulty, easy.

You can edit a file, BaseGame.ini, in the steam install folder to set it to something more challenging.

Details
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 Sep 2012 10:17:33 39,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dumb question time. I assume it will look a shit ton better on the PC than the xbox?

Haven't tried the demo yet but I assume my PC will run it fine.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Whizzo 25 Sep 2012 10:28:17 43,187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The maxed out settings looked pretty good for a UE3 game on my mid range PC (C2Q9400@3.2 and a 2 gig 6950), anything half decent with a dedicated graphics card should stomp all over either of the consoles.

Edited by Whizzo at 10:28:36 25-09-2012

This space left intentionally blank.

• Khanivor 25 Sep 2012 12:29:07 40,938 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Looks nice but not spectacular. But the 'look' is just right; were not looking for Crysus whiz bang for Xcom.

The UI does suck. Unless it changes over the fortnight I will feel lied to. At least give us the option to remap the keys. You can do that Firaxis.

Still, I know my house will soon be overcome in grief as the blackened remnants of over warmed food in the oven signify widowhood.
  • WrongShui 25 Sep 2012 13:06:05 6,620 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The demo was disappointing, due to the short hand held missions but the foundation is there. I cannot wait till this is out.

Annoying I have to wait three days after the yanks to play it, might risk using a VPN to release it early.
  • millerlfc 25 Sep 2012 13:08:38 371 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Given what we've seen of the research tree vs the emphasis on most of the content being secret at this stage, I'm very hopeful for the research side of things. And with regards to aliens, the strange thing is that XCOM works some kind of alchemy and convinces you that it's a much larger game. There were only five aliens (plus terrorists) and only five mission types in the first game, for instance.
    Yes but for XCOM within each alien race there were numerous types (soldier, medic, engineer, navigator, leader) and the terrorists themselves were pretty distinctive too. Cyberdiscs that explode and take out your men, the terrifying chryssalids...

And there was a huge amount to research. Quick check on Google reveals 36 tech for you to make, 8 types of alien ship, 8 types of alien missions, live alien for each race, dead alien for each race etc.

Edited by millerlfc at 13:09:05 25-09-2012
  • neilka 25 Sep 2012 13:17:01 16,244 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:
    The demo was disappointing, due to the short hand held missions but the foundation is there. I cannot wait till this is out.

Annoying I have to wait three days after the yanks to play it, might risk using a VPN to release it early.
    If the Steam countdown is to be believed it's going to be released at 8am on Thursday 11th.
  • WrongShui 25 Sep 2012 13:42:45 6,620 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    9th for the Americans.
  • PenguinJim 25 Sep 2012 14:54:44 5,906 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In Jagged Alliance 2 they had realtime movement outside combat, so you could move your team at the same time until you could see enemies or they could see you. Really helped move things along, so much so that I found going back to UFO: Enemy Unknown and moving everyone individually and slowly a real chore.

A shame XCOM:EU missed that trick from about a decade ago. That annoyed me, plus a bit of a light feel made me feel like I was playing a budget title. It also seems a bit characterless.

Not a pre-order for me, then, and the reviews will help me decide if it's a 15 game, a 7.50 game or a 3.74 game. :p
  • KingOfSpain 25 Sep 2012 15:19:20 5,187 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Didn't Fallout Tactics do that many many years ago. It felt clunky then, and even worse now. Also the mostly very average UFO games, Aftermath, Afterlight, and Aftershock did this as recently as 2007. I much prefer the way Fraxis have done it.

I know this has been mentioned a few times but Xcom feels and plays like a really polished boardgame. I guess it helps that I do play a lot of boardgames so maybe I can appreciate the mechanics better.

The "2 Move" mechanic is very close to the brilliant Mansions of Madness, and is also slimier to Decent, where you have to declare your two moves before playing them out.

At the end of the day, Xcom is a Turn based game. If you don't like turn based games you probably shouldn't buy it. Mixing real time stuff in there just fucks it all up.
  • PenguinJim 25 Sep 2012 15:35:33 5,906 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You should try JA2. It's really very good.
  • KingOfSpain 25 Sep 2012 15:41:11 5,187 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have, it was ok, although not played it much I'll admit. That's one of the games I meant when I said the realtime/turn based mechanic was clunky.

If my memory serves, didn't Silent Storm also do this? God I loved that game! Although I think I enjoyed it more for it's crazy total destruction then I did for how it used RT/TB.

Edited by KingOfSpain at 15:42:20 25-09-2012
  • LeoliansBro 25 Sep 2012 16:14:52 44,505 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    A shame XCOM:EU missed that trick from about a decade ago. That annoyed me, plus a bit of a light feel made me feel like I was playing a budget title. It also seems a bit characterless.
    You are a mong fuck headed fuckhead and I will kill your family.

• LeoliansBro 25 Sep 2012 16:15:13 44,505 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ;)

• neilka 25 Sep 2012 16:34:23 16,244 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Not a pre-order for me, then, and the reviews will help me decide if it's a 15 game, a 7.50 game or a 3.74 game. :p
    What about 3.75?
  • LeoliansBro 25 Sep 2012 16:36:42 44,505 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone who doesn't get this game the very nanosecond it is available is a despicable cunt. The original was my favourite game for more than 15 years, if this is a tenth of that game it'll be GOTY.

/unashamed fanboy

• Metalfish 25 Sep 2012 16:43:37 8,830 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Demo no worky on xp. Me old crusty: no buy.
  • Deleted user 25 September 2012 16:49:13
    SlackMaster wrote:
    I'm not sure what to get it on... I have a choice of PC, PS3 or XBox. :s

I've stopped buying multiformat games on XBox so I guess that just leaves PS3 or PC.
    Why? Xbox nearly always is the best version on multi format vs ps3 unless someone to to lazy to swap a disk a few times.
  • agparrot 25 Sep 2012 16:52:50 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Anyone who doesn't get this game the very nanosecond it is available is a despicable cunt. The original was my favourite game for more than 15 years, if this is a tenth of that game it'll be GOTY.

/unashamed fanboy
    Yeah, I'm pretty much disowning anybody who doesn't buy it, who also claims that they are a 'gamer'. Shortly after I've murdered their entire family of course.
  • Rodriguez 25 Sep 2012 17:38:55 1,097 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

/unashamed fanboy
    Yeah, I'm pretty much disowning anybody who doesn't buy it, who also claims that they are a 'gamer'. Shortly after I've murdered their entire family of course.
    Heh, I don't have a decent enough PC, so haven't played the demo, but I don't care as I'm getting this day one on a console anyway. I haven't played an Xcom game since the mid-nineties on the Amiga, but I do remember it was one of my absolute favourite games at the time so I'm excited it's coming back strong and thankfully before the FPS version.

For anyone who can't play the demo there's a fairly good video posted up yesterday that I was watching earlier from some guy trying it out - demo gameplay footage.
  • agparrot 25 Sep 2012 17:51:45 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rodriguez :) I don't think it matters what format you buy it on, I'm just more concerned that people buy it, so that Firaxis go on to make sequels, or other companies go on to make other turn-based tactical/strategy games. My own PC would melt and explode at any attempt to run it, so I'm getting the 360 version.

Thanks for the video link - I've just been reading Dave Cook's bit of an interview on VG24/7, he covers some stuff with Firaxis about how they started playing a lot of table-top stuff when they came to designing the multiplayer component, and while the MP might well be throwaway tosh for all I care, the fact that it is couched in those terms means I'll definitely have a go at playing it.
  • Deleted user 25 September 2012 17:57:44
    I would 100% buy it if it was released this month. It is, sadly, released same day as dishonoured which looks goty to me. So will pick it up in a few months, look forward to it.
  • Bremenacht 25 Sep 2012 18:05:42 18,719 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's looking liked it was designed for console then? Suits me really. Crusty laptop gets another reprieve.
  • Derblington 25 Sep 2012 18:13:11 21,914 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There are too many decent games coming out this holiday.
  • Trafford 25 Sep 2012 18:40:40 5,875 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yet this is the only one getting my coin.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last