XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 114

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• jampar 8 Aug 2013 14:38:00 59 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also playing on Ipad 2 - crashes a bit, but not enough to bother me. Graphical differences - i Have not even noticed, the gameplay is almost identical. Brilliant to pick up and play - no starting the xbox up, signing in and all that bobbins, just pick up the ipad, and off you go.
  • Rajin 12 Aug 2013 22:37:49 631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Doing my first playthrough on classic, is it fun to enable hidden potentional and not created equally? I was hoping it would create some variety among party members without creating a game that is too difficult.
  • PenguinJim 13 Aug 2013 01:56:03 5,906 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't do the random damage spread - I tried it (with several other second wave things) for my CI playthrough and just couldn't keep my balance through the missions - about ten failed playthroughs, until someone pointed out that it's something crazy along the lines of "the damage you were going to do, or RANDOMLY LOWER, but never higher"!

I think I left those two you mentioned on, though, and finished CI with them. Nice to have a bit of variety in the stats, IMO (unless it's all fucking RANDOMLY LOWER).
  • Rajin 13 Aug 2013 11:07:45 631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Most of my soldiers have terrible stats in regards to aim, but i am satisfied with 3 soldiers with 74-74-84 aim.
  • Psychotext 13 Aug 2013 11:11:23 54,391 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So did this end up being any good? Seemed to release with almost no fanfare.
  • AaronTurner 13 Aug 2013 11:47:58 7,785 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You mean the iPad version or all versions? It's brilliant on console and PC for sure.
  • Psychotext 13 Aug 2013 11:48:49 54,391 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didn't even know there was an iPad version.
  • AaronTurner 13 Aug 2013 11:50:44 7,785 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you like turn based strategy you should get it.
  • Psychotext 13 Aug 2013 11:56:11 54,391 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I liked the originals very much, but was a bit concerned with what they did to action points.
  • AaronTurner 13 Aug 2013 12:01:44 7,785 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not the same games as the originals but it does hold the same spirit. I prefer it to the originals, the new system works very well.
  • Psychotext 13 Aug 2013 12:05:22 54,391 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can you still cheat with quicksaves? :o
  • Mr_Sleep 13 Aug 2013 12:14:43 17,182 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As long as you don't activate Ironman then yes you can but if you don't activate Ironman then Leolian's Bro will call you a pussy.

You are a factory of sadness.

• robc84 13 Aug 2013 12:19:00 5,798 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Great game. One of my favourites this gen.

Plus ironman is the only way to play. Otherwise LB is correct, you are a pussy ;)
  • RyanDS 13 Aug 2013 12:40:48 9,583 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Played this from disc on PS3 and it was great. Got the download version free with PS+ and have had 3 crashes in 2 hours play, not to mention a myriad of graphical glitches.

Anyone else found the same?
  • krushing 13 Aug 2013 15:11:06 777 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Played this from disc on PS3 and it was great. Got the download version free with PS+ and have had 3 crashes in 2 hours play, not to mention a myriad of graphical glitches.

Anyone else found the same?
    I had plenty of crashin'n'glitchin' on the disc version. Maybe you were just lucky.
  • phAge 13 Aug 2013 15:12:22 24,386 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    So did this end up being any good? Seemed to release with almost no fanfare.
    It's pretty good. Some dodgy, potentially game-ruining bugs and the lack of random levels keep it back from being great, though. IMO.
  • Rajin 13 Aug 2013 15:13:40 631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    can weapons be damaged during a fight? For some reason my sniper refuses to shoot with his gun causing me to rely on his pistol. I keep failing on this mission because of this
  • IJ 13 Aug 2013 15:15:16 841 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rajin wrote:
    can weapons be damaged during a fight? For some reason my sniper refuses to shoot with his gun causing me to rely on his pistol. I keep failing on this mission because of this
    They can't move and shoot unless you pick a certain ability when they level up later. So if you don't move them, you can use the sniper rifle. So you have to position them first.
  • Monstro 13 Aug 2013 15:41:21 23 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Psychotext A surprising comment! It was released to near-universal acclaim and is very, very good.

Not perfect and only arguably great. Still, it's an excellent update to an old game, retaining the spirit, increasing the fun while perhaps missing out a little on the breadth and depth. Absolutely worth a look if you've any interest in the series.

Oh, and it's sure to be more enjoyable if you accept it for what it is, rather than berate it for not being what you want it to be :)
  • Monstro 13 Aug 2013 15:47:37 23 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fans of the game might be interested to know that I've started a sort of quest to unlock 100% of its achievements. The joke is that I'm not very good and don't have much time on my hands.

I'll be keeping a journal to update my progress, and you can read the first part here.

I hope in future articles to discuss issues and strategies around the game, so that it's less like a personal indulgence and more like a niche-interest column. Early responses have been positive, so I hope you'll enjoy it!

Or you may be entirely disinterested, in which case do carry on :)

Edited by Monstro at 15:50:38 13-08-2013
  • Rajin 13 Aug 2013 15:47:53 631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @IJ

I know, i have him positioned but he refuses to use the sniper saying that i already used it in the same turn(while this is not true)
  • LeoliansBro 13 Aug 2013 15:48:07 44,506 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I never finished off the last three achievements :(

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Monstro 13 Aug 2013 15:52:53 23 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rajin Sounds glitch-tastic to me =/
  • Rajin 13 Aug 2013 17:50:31 631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Monstro

Yes really ruins the difficult council mission on classic for me, since i more or less have 3 squad members now and no sniper
  • RetardStrong 14 Aug 2013 13:35:53 3,229 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    On my second playthrough, second wave with marathon enabled. It's just unfair in that everything takes 3 times as long to research while the missions and enemies evolve at the same speed as usual. Already lost 6 countries. Same with terror missions with 6 or more chrysalids scattered across the map. You're practically ensured of a poor result since there's no way to safe the civilians in time. Still enjoying it but it's not very balanced is it? The good thing is that you do so many missions that everyone in my squad is already at max level.
  • Monstro 15 Aug 2013 08:49:10 23 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RetardStrong I think that's the point of the second wave options - they're not designed to be balanced or to give you extra advantages. They're designed to add extra challenges and make the game even harder.

I've not tried Marathon yet. I had actually assumed that alien evolution slowed down, too. The fact that it doesn't does put me off a little...
  • PenguinJim 15 Aug 2013 10:42:51 5,906 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Monstro wrote:
    Fans of the game might be interested to know that I've started a sort of quest to unlock 100% of its achievements. The joke is that I'm not very good and don't have much time on my hands.
    Are you on PC? Because another 30 Achievements were added this month - seemingly just placeholders. It suggests that the imminent XCOM title is going to be a big piece of DLC.
  • rudedudejude 16 Aug 2013 10:15:34 2,201 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RetardStrong You only need to save 1 civvy not to fail ther mission though?

Most of my Terror missions, I only manage a handful of saves, though provided you save at least 1 and clear the map, it's still considered a pass and you get a panic reduction etc?

I'm not sure what the consequences of saving more civvies are?
  • Mr_Sleep 19 Aug 2013 14:45:07 17,182 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I started a new Classic Ironman and I just had what would have been a very useful VIP mission go awry, my assault soldier panicked after being poisoned and took him out with a shotgun, for some reason she can't usually hit shit with her shotgun but it was a perfect shot on him, not forgetting that there were two soldiers in the way that she could have shot. Fuck you classic!

You are a factory of sadness.

• LeoliansBro 19 Aug 2013 14:46:48 44,506 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, the first Council mission was always where my CI run went wrong. You good news is that, if you nail that, you get a proper nice window to develop your team and have a hope in hell of getting through the game.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Page

of 130 First / Last