XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 113

• Page

of 128 First / Last

• HoriZon 17 Jun 2013 14:16:02 13,522 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is out this Thursday the 20th (So, Wednesday at 11:00 PM, most likely.) for $19.99. It'll run on the iPad 2, 3, 3, and mini, as well as the iPhone 4S, 5, and 5th generation iPod touches. It will have iCloud and Gamecenter support too. Additionally, multiplayer is said to be coming later via a free update.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• THFourteen 17 Jun 2013 14:16:26 33,089 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    deja vu

:-)
  • HoriZon 17 Jun 2013 14:17:22 13,522 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spooky :)

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• PenguinJim 17 Jun 2013 14:30:04 5,808 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, CI finished. Surprisingly easy without second wave damages randomised (yup, whoever informed me seemed to be right, it just gave me a random number BELOW the normal number!!). Took a while to build up a super squad, but had over $12,000 in the bank before I finally thought I might maybe, possibly be ready for the final mission. And then it was a cinch. :( Shot once by a Sectoid, of all things! Pfft!
  • sanctusmortis 17 Jun 2013 16:39:51 9,627 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's the file size on the iOS version? I mean, huge, yeah?
  • Widge Moderator 18 Jun 2013 09:04:42 13,390 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Be nice if someone could do an unofficial DF type comparison. I have this on PC, unplayed, but was considering pumping my efforts into an iPad version after I do KOTOR.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• mrharvest 22 Jun 2013 11:39:05 5,191 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm playing the PS3 version and it keeps freezing. I just shot the final boss and... nothing. Just a black screen. It earlier cheated me out of a battle ship mission too. It's pretty annoying.
  • TarickStonefire 22 Jun 2013 13:04:22 2,978 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    It's so shit that you can't play a New+ game with all those awesome psychic skills unlocked from the beginning.
    Game wouldn't really be balanced, or make sense plot-wise, if you could, though. It would necessitate re-jigging it just for that rather than simply making everyone harder to beat and re-running the original campaign structure.

Would be good to get them earlier though I agree.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 22 Jun 2013 13:07:18 2,978 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Be nice if someone could do an unofficial DF type comparison. I have this on PC, unplayed, but was considering pumping my efforts into an iPad version after I do KOTOR.
    There's video on YouTube from a site comparing PS3 to iPad3, shows off pretty good what the differences in graphics are (barely any lighting effects, no lip-synching, no shadows, low-res textures).

As for performance I've read people on identical devices give polar opposite accounts. Seems the older your device the more crashing you should expect and the more you should try to mitigate it by remembering to reboot the device before playing etc.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• mrharvest 22 Jun 2013 20:37:33 5,191 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Okay, now I'm posting some opinions about new Xcom vs old Xcom.

First off, I think lowering the squad size has helped the flow of the game but it has broken the higher difficulty levels. Earlier you could have 10-15 guys in your team, so it's just 10% of your total firepower gone if someone gets an unlucky roll. I remember pitting 12 rookies against 5 sectoids and coming back with half of them dead. People were cheap, so it worked. Now if you lose just one guy, that's a quarter of your team gone in the beginning. It just doesn't seem to work when the difficulty level means you get randomed more often.

Second, I think the class system is pretty bizarre. Towards the end of the game I was only using supports and snipers. The snipers did the damage and the supports kept everyone healed up. Heavies were especially useless. Assaults were moderately useful when given the same guns as supports but why would you when they can't heal?

Speaking of healing, why is it I can't pick things up? Let's say a support dies: surely I should be able to pick up his medikit. And the other issue I have is with the snipers' battle scanner ability. Two measly turns and you can't even pick them up and throw them out again.

Finally, I miss the small launcher and stun bombs. Now there was a worthwhile heavy weapon - if they had those I might actually take heavies into combat.
  • bunglebonce 22 Jun 2013 22:26:22 2,118 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just started getting into this properly today. I've put it off as long as possible, knowing I'd lose my life to it. I don't know where today has gone.

I'm going to read through earlier in the thread for suggested tactics, now that I have a feel for the game.

In the meantime, I just have one question: can the aliens legitimately shoot through full cover? I would have thought that would have given me an absolute defence, but it appears not - I had a heavy open a door into a building but stay in full cover against the outside wall, but a thin man inside seemed to shoot through the wall. It seems counter-intuitive.

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• Metalfish 22 Jun 2013 22:34:30 8,818 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The visuals mean diddly, it's all about the dice rolls and modifiers underneath. You can be hit in full cover and even be hit with an indestructible forty foot solid titanium cocoon around your soldier if the numbers say so.
  • bunglebonce 22 Jun 2013 23:03:37 2,118 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's what I feared, thanks.

• WrongShui 22 Jun 2013 23:07:43 6,609 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished a CI game the other day with relative ease, has it been made easier since launch? I remember having my arse handed to me back then, although I did cherry pick two helpful second wave options.
  • krushing 24 Jun 2013 08:37:47 777 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @bunglebonce: yep, as Metalfish said, it's just numbers - it might be a good idea to look at them just to get an idea how they work vs. your perceived "reality" :) It's been a while since I played this, but I seem to recall "full cover" actually being a -40% to the enemy's hit chance and half cover being -20%. Or something along those lines, far off from the expected 100% at least...
  • robc84 24 Jun 2013 08:55:13 5,431 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    krushing wrote:
    @bunglebonce: yep, as Metalfish said, it's just numbers - it might be a good idea to look at them just to get an idea how they work vs. your perceived "reality" :) It's been a while since I played this, but I seem to recall "full cover" actually being a -40% to the enemy's hit chance and half cover being -20%. Or something along those lines, far off from the expected 100% at least...
    This is correct. The enemy will have a hit chance based on what enemy type it is. For example I think on classic a thin man has accuracy of 85%. So if you are behind full cover he will have 45% as you have -40% for being behind full cover. Bear in mind you can hunker down to double your defence bonus. Also certain classes have perks that increase your defence (I think assault has one that gives you an extra 5% for each enemy in sight or something). You can get an idea of of how this works by pressing L3 (I think - or equivalent) when you are aiming at an enemy to see the calculation of your hit chance.

Oh and if you are playing classic, try to avoid low cover wherever possible. Its basically useless!
  • bunglebonce 30 Jun 2013 14:41:20 2,118 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sweet, bittersweet XCOM.

I played the tutoral before going back to NI. It was all going so well, two almost flawless months, no deaths, two 'A' scores in the first two council reports, then I hit the mutons. Now into the fourth month, I still haven't lost a mission, and have only lost maybe a handful of soldiers (all but one expendable), but I've already had two countries leave the council and have two or three more at 5 on the panic scale. It turns out I wasn't aggressive enough with satellite coverage in the first few months and it's going a bit FUBAR.

I think I have a crush on my chief sniper, Major Amelie Andre. What a double-tapping, squad-sighted belle. <3

Some questions:

* How many satellites should I be looking to have in the first couple of months? Should I put all my money into that?
    * I tried to stun a muton with only two health points with an arc thrower because I hadn't captured an alien, but despite being close enough the option wasn't there in the menu after I made my initial movement. What did I do wrong: can you not stun after moving / not capture a muton?

I don't have as much time as I'd like to play this on the big telly. This game would be incredible on the Vita, but I had hoped there would've been news on that front by now.

• bunglebonce 30 Jun 2013 14:55:21 2,118 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ----------------------
    ---------Su------------
    -----A---------------
    --Rk--------------H---
    --------Sn------------
    -----------Sn---------

This has been my default set-up of late.

I lost my best support to over-confidence with the sprint ability, getting surrounded by an awakened floater triumvirate... I suppose I should invert the assault with support! I tend to put an arc thrower on the rookie (latterly squaddie with the new guy perk, but I still haven't done it successfully.

Edited by bunglebonce at 14:55:51 30-06-2013

• Humperfunk 30 Jun 2013 15:02:20 2,066 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Been playing this since yesterday afternoon on PS3 after getting it on Plus.

Just finished ACIII which was without doubt one of the worst games I've ever had the misfortune of playing, so this is a complete breath of fresh air.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• PenguinJim 30 Jun 2013 15:07:27 5,808 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bunglebonce wrote:
    I tend to put an arc thrower on the rookie (latterly squaddie with the new guy perk, but I still haven't done it successfully.
    I like having an arc thrower on my support... eventually. ;) Really very handy at that level.
  • Mayhem64 30 Jun 2013 15:42:13 665 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bunglebonce wrote:
    * How many satellites should I be looking to have in the first couple of months? Should I put all my money into that?
    It should be your first priority at the start of the month with the new money you get in. First month, you get one satellite by default for your starting location, and you can afford one more satellite up with the relay you begin with. Try to buy that (before day 10) so you can lob it up before end of month. End of month IS important.

Why? Because that's the only time countries leave the council. Start of month two, buy a second satellite relay next to the first one, and three satellites if you can afford it (two if you can't get side by side on the relays, or are low on funds). Play the month through. Day or so before the end of month, deploy the satellites where you either need the coverage (to reduce panic), or to fill out getting a second continent bonus (as you automatically get the one for the continent you begin on).

Repeat for the third month. A new relay, and three more satellites. So by end of month three, you should hopefully have eight satellites up in orbit, and some decent month coming in.

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

• PenguinJim 30 Jun 2013 15:49:39 5,808 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mayhem64 wrote:
    Try to buy that (before day 10) so you can lob it up before end of month.
    That bears repeating. The first ten days of the month, DON'T FORGET to get those satellites a-building!
  • bunglebonce 30 Jun 2013 17:37:33 2,118 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks. I'm tempted to start again with lessons learned. I'll be damned if I can get the arc working properly though.

• Tuffty 30 Jun 2013 22:36:07 1,532 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Started this after seeing it was free on PS Plus. It's sunk it's alien claws into me already. I've had to tear myself away from it now, considering I have work tomorrow and need to be up early. Wish I downloaded it earlier so I could have spent more time with it over the weekend.

It's really rather good isn't it? There's already been moments where my heart has been in my throat and ones that made me punch the air with joy when that little bit of forward thinking paid off. I've noticed a few technical issues though for the PSN download like a bit of lag, sound cutting out etc. Nothing drastic and certainly nothing that would stop me playing.
  • IJ 18 Jul 2013 16:26:45 819 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I picked this up on the App store recently. I've completed it on my xbox already but always wanted to play it a again on a harder setting and trying different tactics and I thought my tube journey to work could be perfect.

I'm surprised how well it works on my iPhone 5 considering the small screen, it's perfectly playable and runs very smoothly. It works fine on my ipad 2 as well, despite the age, I guess the non-retina screen helps. A few have moaned about the un-kippable startup video, but it is skipable, its hiding the loading of the game, once it's loaded you can skip it. They've removed a few of the cut scenes, like the autopsies which is a shame because I enjoyed those! I haven't built a place to store aliens yet so I don't know if they've also removed the interrogation videos, I suspect so. Other than that it is a direct port, the graphics are quite a bit worse but it doesn't distract from the great gameplay. One thing though, it EATS the battery! On a full charge I think you could get maybe 2 hours of playing the game out of it, it's brutal.

Slightly annoying is that if you enable ironman, cloud saving doesn't work. This does make sense as you could cheat by not updating the cloud and so you could play on with an old save, but if you're that determined to "cheat" then you're probably not going to use ironman anyway. So as i switch between my phone at work and ipad at home I can't use it.

Three months into my first classic game, going very well so far I think. Only lost one guy, India bailed but I don't think there was anything I could do about that and I think it's normal to not be able to save everyone on classic.Just got surprised by my first mutons but they luckily ran back into a building and I managed to move everyone up onto the roof. One area I still think is slightly flawed is the way you uncover groups of enemies. For me is restricts the tactics you can use. With flanking so powerful you want to really try and split your group, but if you uncover a group of aliens then you need all your guys together to have the fire power to take them down. So I end up always keeping my guys close together in a well packed group, which is a shame really.

Anyway, no doubt I'll be on later saying I've lost an entire team and 5 countries have buggered off.

Edited by IJ at 16:28:16 18-07-2013
  • PenguinJim 31 Jul 2013 11:06:35 5,808 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    XCOM: Enemy Within, anyone?

http://imgur.com/b3qK027
    http://imgur.com/53VeI7X

XCOM 1.5 TFTD-style new game? DLC? MMO?

"Shrink your team down to nanoscopic size and enter the President's body to fight off the alien infection!"
  • HisDudness 31 Jul 2013 11:31:38 963 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nice spot. I hope that this is at least a major expansion like they do with Civ.
  • philreeduk 1 Aug 2013 12:40:58 282 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So just brought this on IOS and cannot get it to go past the opening video, any suggestions?
  • IJ 1 Aug 2013 16:18:35 819 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    philreeduk wrote:
    So just brought this on IOS and cannot get it to go past the opening video, any suggestions?
    Have you restarted your phone/iPad since downloading? Should sort it.

Edited by IJ at 16:18:48 01-08-2013
  • Page

of 128 First / Last