XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 109

• Page

of 129 First / Last

• Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 14:15:42 8,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @robc84

I was actually getting a bit nervous there as the topic comes up in this very thread on page 74/75 (yes I've skimmed every page today :)), so that's good to hear.
  • El_MUERkO 18 Apr 2013 14:28:46 16,970 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    everyone who disagrees with my DLC rant ... SHUSH!!!
  • LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 14:29:58 43,652 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stop stropping about frumpily and enjoy the game you big gayer.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 14:39:03 8,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Am I a nasty sexist for never choosing female soldiers?
  • PenguinJim 18 Apr 2013 14:39:56 5,810 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    I have to say I'm pretty miffed at Firaxis's support for the game, it's been six months since launch and no DLC, sounds like they're going straight to sequel :(
    Since when was DLC anything more than an optional extra bonus?
    Since they released XCOM with a paltry handful of maps. I really did assume they'd put out a few more for free.
  • robc84 18 Apr 2013 14:52:00 5,448 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Am I a nasty sexist for never choosing female soldiers?
    Yes ;-)
  • Bremenacht 18 Apr 2013 16:23:42 17,687 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mayhem64 wrote:
    In light of that, what advice can anyone give for me to survive the early missions? I'm fairly covered in terms of the base management, getting satellites up and prioritising research and building, but the missions themselves... what tactics should I adopt to keep people alive and killing things?
    Save after every successful move you make. Height comes into play because it gives you an advantage. You are at a disadvantage in every way in impossible, so any slight advantage you can take, you should go for it. On that building site level, I spent about 15 moves getting my squad into an up a building, because I couldn't tackle a group of 3 greys without full-cover options, a height bonus, and protection from flanking. Half cover is completely useless, whereas you might have had a bit of luck in Classic. You need to bring as many guns to bear on a target as you can, without exposing yourself to any other target lurking about.

I stopped playing it, 'cos it gobbled up too much time and I've got a backlog to see to! Must have spent 3 hours doing the train station alone.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 16:25:30 43,652 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some of the levels are murder as well. If you touchdown next to a petrol station you should berate the crap out of your Skyranger pilot and consider whether you really want to proceed.

• Bremenacht 18 Apr 2013 16:46:20 17,687 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The petrol station I found Ok, because there was a good spread of full cover to move between. Building site and train station only have cover at certain points and usually with horribly exposed flanks.

I am dreading getting to the Mutons. Well, I'm not really dreading it 'cos I don't know when I'll be playing it again at his rate!
  • Elathron 18 Apr 2013 16:51:53 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Another tip for impossible... Rocket launchers & grenades become your best friends early on. They always hit (great if the aliens bunch up) and will reduce all nearby cover to dust. Also later on, the mayhem perk mixed with supression really comes into its own. The ability lets you deal 1 - 3 HP of damage for free, and again if the enemy is supressed they are less likely to return fire. I take every right hand option for heavies other than HEAT ammo which is essential. Working in conjunction, 3 colonel heavies can be far more effective than other classes in areas with dense cover. If in doubt, blow it all up.

EDIT: these tips ain't just for impossible lol

Edited by Elathron at 16:54:59 18-04-2013

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Bremenacht 18 Apr 2013 16:57:41 17,687 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jeez. You're that far into impossible? What's the base-building and satellite stuff like? Harder still?
  • Elathron 18 Apr 2013 17:13:48 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Bremenacht Umm. Let's just say the aliens are 100% more effective at making me spend all of my resources on fresh troops and Firestorms. EMP cannons are crap for anything bigger than a large scout unless you have all 3 buffs for your crafts. Base building and satellites are as they were. Just with more emphasis on getting good guns out there. I concentrated on getting 6 adjacent workshops on month 2, the rebates have more than paid for this as I'm getting 60% of materials back (& money!). There's so much more but it's not easy typing on a phone...

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Shikasama 18 Apr 2013 17:20:57 6,711 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Think I might start another game of this, I never did finish it.

Don't think I have the stones to do it again on Ironman though. I take deaths far to personally.
  • Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 18:08:26 8,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just started my normal Ironman game and lost someone on the first mission :( This is after losing only 1 after about 6 missions in my non Ironman save.

It hurts...
  • Zizoo 19 Apr 2013 07:52:52 8,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thank you LB for the Ironman suggestion. The game is much more intense, but also just better overall.

I'm actually doing OK. I'm a bit concerned over the panic in a couple of countries going up really quickly, but I'm hoping I can manage to get them to calm down. I constantly have satellites being produced and uplinks being built.

I have lost 3 squad members so far and yes, it is much worse on Ironman.
  • robc84 19 Apr 2013 09:09:53 5,448 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ZizouFC I can't remember if anyone has already mentioned this, but save your satellite launches until just before the council report. A country will not leave the council until then even if they are on Max panic. The only exception to this is if you fail a terror mission in that territory. I think I have that right.

The benefit of waiting until the last minute is that you may get a mission that will lower panic in that country, and you can then use that sattelite somewhere more beneficial (such as US / Russia for cash, or to try to get a continent bonus).

There are exceptions of course. For example I had a few spare sats in my current game due to countries leaving the council and I used them straight away on South America and got all of my autopsies and interrogations done instantly. Works for other continents too such as Europe if you were about to build some workshops etc.

Also, if a country is already on max panic, you can safely ignore an abduction mission there if you have a sat put aside for it (provided the rest of the continent isn't panicing too bad). This may allow you more freedom to reduce panic elsewhere or go for a better mission reward.

Edited by robc84 at 09:27:13 19-04-2013
  • LeoliansBro 19 Apr 2013 09:41:01 43,652 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Thank you LB for the Ironman suggestion. The game is much more intense, but also just better overall.

I'm actually doing OK. I'm a bit concerned over the panic in a couple of countries going up really quickly, but I'm hoping I can manage to get them to calm down. I constantly have satellites being produced and uplinks being built.

I have lost 3 squad members so far and yes, it is much worse on Ironman.
    Good lad. You're in for a real treat.

• LeoliansBro 19 Apr 2013 09:42:37 43,652 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And yeah, what rob said. But as with everything there is a balance. Getting the satellites up earlier means more UFO missions which means more alien alloys / weapon parts / valuable things to sell.

• Zizoo 19 Apr 2013 09:52:24 8,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @robc84

Shit. Well I'll do that from now on. Thanks for the tip! I wish I knew that beforehand but I'm not too far in.

A question if you don't mind: I have taken 2 months already to get the alien containment built and am about to capture the actual alien now only. Is there any real punishment coming my way? Panic levels are much higher in this game compared to my normal non-Ironman one and I was just wondering if me dillydallying has caused it.

@LB

I'm definitely staying in tonight :)

I did my first mission where I had to save hostages. Saved 10 of 18. Not great but the aliens just went on a killing-spree and I couldn't do much to stop them.
  • Elathron 19 Apr 2013 09:54:17 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Also, if you're feeling very brave. The first campaign mission with the alien base will reduce panic around the world by 2 when completed, very helpful if you have few satellites but a strong squad.

• Zizoo 19 Apr 2013 09:59:54 8,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh so there is a reason to do the campaign missions other than advance the story. Well I knew there were rewards, but that would be very handy right now.

Technically, could I keep playing the same game indefinitely if I wanted to build everything, have a massive super strong squad and then take on the campaign missions?
  • robc84 19 Apr 2013 10:00:57 5,448 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Put it this way, in my current CI game I didn't build the contaiment until about month 4 or 5 due to budget constraints! I'm now well behind on the main story, but I'm coping ok so far!

There is no punishment per se, but bear in mind the aliens continue to get tougher even if you don't progress the main story, so if you delay you will get tougher aliens in future 'campaign' missions. But on the other hand you will have better weapons and tech to deal with them.

IMO, getting the containment in month 2/3 is pretty good going.

Also 10/18 is fine. You only need to save 1 for the mission to be a success. I think on normal I saved all 18 once. On classic so far the most I have saved is 3!!
  • Elathron 19 Apr 2013 10:04:43 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Technically, could I keep playing the same game indefinitely if I wanted to build everything, have a massive super strong squad and then take on the campaign missions?
    You could, on non-Ironman classic or below, I'd say that'd be the way to play. Also is opens up a few more options for your "management" phases, but seriously, it's a bit of a f***er when you first go in. I wasn't expecting the ramp up in difficulty but it came to bite my arse when my sqaud ran into mr sectoid commander and his elite buddies.

• robc84 19 Apr 2013 10:17:04 5,448 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Oh so there is a reason to do the campaign missions other than advance the story. Well I knew there were rewards, but that would be very handy right now.

I'm currently employing this strategy on CI, although not out of choice. I suffered a squad wipe of my best soldiers and it is taking me a while to get a decent squad to assault the alien base. I'm ready now, but I have already already met all alien types excluding the ethereal and sectiod commander who dont unlock until after the base assault anyway. The way I see if I delay a bit longer and try to build a back up team in case it all tits up on the assault it wont make much difference now.

Although I'm starting to get a bit bored so I may just go for it!
  • Zizoo 19 Apr 2013 11:15:30 8,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks guys.

Is it quite common to back out of a mission to avoid losing any more of your squad? What's the punishment?
  • robc84 19 Apr 2013 11:36:28 5,448 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have to admit I've never done it. I wish I had on the aforementioned squad wipe, but by the time I had decided to do it it was too late. I should have started falling back earlier when it started going tits up but I hung in there for too long.

Well the mission will fail and panic will rise. But this will happen anyway if you fail the mission. So if you feel you cant complete the mission, you may as well get out of there with some soldiers still intact.
  • PenguinJim 20 Apr 2013 03:51:05 5,810 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If everything's gone wrong and you can get a veteran out of the squad, they'll be very useful on your next mission (instead of fielding a squad of visually-challenged rookies). I did it once.

I tried to do it a second time, but the evac zone wasn't there...
  • LeoliansBro 20 Apr 2013 08:10:16 43,652 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Backing out on CI was a thing I had to do several times. You don't get the mission reward and panic levels increase, and it contributes to your monthly grading.

• Elathron 20 Apr 2013 13:17:28 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Almost finished my SA start. Not an easy ride as such but the research credits really helped. Also didn't have to spend out on plasma rifles or heavy plasmas due to some sneaky arc thrower shots at close range. Another tip for late game is to mind control enemies, and then suicide them. You'll get their weapons when they die which saves a lot of money!

If you want the ultimate rebate then put 10 workshops together. You'll get more resources than you spend back!

Edited by Elathron at 15:35:33 20-04-2013

• Zizoo 22 Apr 2013 08:58:26 8,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I almost had a heart attack on Saturday when my Ironman save wouldn't load. I got an error message saying: "DLC missing or corrupt", something like that. The console version of this as far as I can tell.

I wanted to try download the DLC again but my net was down so I left it for the night. Yesterday I started the game up with working internet and the DLC loaded fine, as did my save. DRM?

I am very pleased with my progress thus far. I have lost loads of people along the way (11 all together I think. 3 vets (all named after people I know :(), and the rest rookies who couldn't handle the pace this far into the game), but I have a solid 10 or so squad members and rookies seem to be doing better as well.

I haven't lost any countries yet thanks to the great tip regarding not launching satellites until you know you aren't going to get a mission in the panicked country. I have 3 countries in the red at the moment, and 3 satellites and an uplink due for completion just before the council meeting, so I should be ok.

I need to do a campaign mission soon though.
  • Page

of 129 First / Last