XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 108

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 18 Apr 2013 11:04:14 17,082 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've just uninstalled it to make space as I've got a whole bunch of stuff installed and reading LB's comments in here really makes me want to play it again. Damn you LB!

You are a factory of sadness.

• Elathron 18 Apr 2013 11:04:15 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ZizouFC - I left assault the base (the first campaign mission) til after I'd shot down 30 UFO's. So no, there's no time limit that I can see!

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 11:08:36 8,383 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's very interesting if that's the case.

Makes me want to start over on Classic/Ironman even more though as I can't waste my precious gaming time. I fear I may be getting ahead of myself though as I'm only about 6 missions deep and I know it will get more difficult.

Reading this thread does seem to suggest that normal is quite easy though once you know what you're doing.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 11:16:07 44,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Classic Ironman will kick you in the nuts and steal your lunch money, and then call all its friends around you and point and laugh as you try not to cry and run away to hide.

Trust me on this, Normal Ironman is the game at its best. The only reason I went for CI was to get the achievement (and because I'm a sucker for punishment).

One other thing - the game never 'cheats'. The aliens are better shots than you, especially the thin men with their accurate plasmas, but they don't know where you are, they can't see you in the same way you can't see them, and they will make the same tactical errors as you make due to incomplete information. Plan accordingly.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 11:16:23 18-04-2013

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• robc84 18 Apr 2013 11:29:29 5,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Regarding the cheating, I have to admit, Classic does feel a bit cheaty sometimes.

Case in point, Large UFO, can't remember the class, but the one that you have to go up the slopes at the front. Anyway I had uncover 2 muton elites who had decided to camp in overwatch for about 5 turns. As soon as I had moved my squad sight snipers into position, and moved my assault to the edge of cover to see them, guess what... they had moved. Almost as if they knew what I was doing. Probably just coincidence to be fair but still annoying.

You need a fair bit of luck in the first couple of months of CI. Not due to cheating but as LB says, the aliens have much better aim and tech than you do.

Mutons are also pretty stupid a lot of the time. Often just run out into the open in no cover. But when they are in decent cover they can be brutal.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 11:32:08 44,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can be a bit cheaty back. There's an exploit whereby if you have an alien flanked but are yourself in cover, and he only has a gun, no grenades or anything, he will panic and freeze in place. Makes it very easy to capture sectoids if you know what you're about.

• robc84 18 Apr 2013 11:37:08 5,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Did not know that. I don't like to cheat though. Got to show those Aliens we don't need to resort to cheating to win the fight!

Will bear it in mind though. Just in case
  • Elathron 18 Apr 2013 11:38:28 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Another thing to do early on, when the sectoids do their little symbiosis buff, shoot the one who's giving the buff. If he dies, both die due to some weird feedback. Very helpful early on in the game!
    However, later in th game, I swear it cheats. I know that it's not really possible, but playing Cl IM I came across a tiny room in the buidling site terror mission. Opened the door and what was inside? Only about 20 aliens all hidden in what amounted to a broom cupboard. Who all proceded to leave their room and flank every one of my soldiers - needless to say the squad got wiped in the alien turn.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 11:40:59 44,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, there are bugs. The aliens, before they have been uncovered, move around the map on a pre-determined path but don't actually move, they teleport from place to place. This can occasionally mean they appear right in front of you, or somewhere they couldn't be or weren't when you checked earlier. Once exposed they move normally though.

Also, reloading seems to have a bug where the computer very occasionally just drops all the aliens right in front of you. Shouldn't be a problem for those on Ironman though.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 11:41:12 18-04-2013

• Jazzassin 18 Apr 2013 11:49:53 75 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Also, reloading seems to have a bug where the computer very occasionally just drops all the aliens right in front of you. Shouldn't be a problem for those on Ironman though.
    Just had this happen on Ironman, where I had not saved or reloaded. Game went wonky during the enemy turn: screen turned blue except for the UI elements. I knew something was fishy, so I out all my guys on Overwatch.

Sure enough, three Mutons appeared in the middle of my formation, around one of my guys. Fortunately Reaction shots took out two of them, but the third managed to put Henri "Road Block" Thomas, my favorite Heavy, into critical condition.

That said, everyone must at least try Ironman. It basically turns the game into Survival Horror. This game is better than any other at making you care for each and every one of your soldiers.

Except rookies. Amazing -and scary- how quickly I started treating them like cannon fodder on some maps.
    Me: "You there... yes you. Here's an Arc Thrower. Go in there and stun that Alien Commander!"
    Rookie: "Errrr... all alone? Sir, yes, Sir! *runs off*
    Me: "... plenty more where he came for."
  • Mr_Sleep 18 Apr 2013 11:57:43 17,082 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    Another thing to do early on, when the sectoids do their little symbiosis buff, shoot the one who's giving the buff. If he dies, both die due to some weird feedback. Very helpful early on in the game!
    It doesn't always work, I've had it fail to kill the other sectoid before now (presumably a bug), so don't sacrifice position on the assumption it'll work.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Elathron 18 Apr 2013 12:03:54 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jazzassin wrote:
    Reaction shots took out two of them, but the third managed to put Henri "Road Block" Thomas, my favorite Heavy, into critical condition.
    quote]

Hey... My heavy is called exactly the same thing... He's not so speshul any more.

• Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 12:11:47 8,383 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Classic Ironman will kick you in the nuts and steal your lunch money, and then call all its friends around you and point and laugh as you try not to cry and run away to hide.

Trust me on this, Normal Ironman is the game at its best. The only reason I went for CI was to get the achievement (and because I'm a sucker for punishment).

One other thing - the game never 'cheats'. The aliens are better shots than you, especially the thin men with their accurate plasmas, but they don't know where you are, they can't see you in the same way you can't see them, and they will make the same tactical errors as you make due to incomplete information. Plan accordingly.
    Ok normal Iromman it is :)

What glitches are still around? I imagine they could break Ironman?

I had a teleporting alien last night. Fortunately he teleported right next to me on my turn.
  • El_MUERkO 18 Apr 2013 12:24:44 17,037 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have to say I'm pretty miffed at Firaxis's support for the game, it's been six months since launch and no DLC, sounds like they're going straight to sequel :(
  • LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 12:27:54 44,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, apart from the DLC that is.

• Bremenacht 18 Apr 2013 12:35:39 18,320 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Straight to sequel???!!

SEQUEL??!!

LINK!!!
  • El_MUERkO 18 Apr 2013 12:38:04 17,037 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Well, apart from the DLC that is.
    You mean the one the pre-order stuff and the one that doesn't count because it adds nothing to the game.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 12:49:03 44,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DLC you don't like is still DLC. And you forgot the update that allows you to change the parameters.

• Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 12:51:33 8,383 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

How many times did you have to start over on Normal Ironman before being able to finish the game?
  • LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 12:53:11 44,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did it first time. Took me five attempts on CI though.

To be fair I did know what I was about with NI. If I were you I'd restart on NI without the tutorial, I reckon that's the best way to see the game for the first time :)

• Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 13:01:15 8,383 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm gonna do that. I'll say farewell to my current squad and recreate my faves in my new game.

Thanks for all the help. I'll try not be back with more questions tomorrow :)
  • Mayhem64 18 Apr 2013 13:04:33 668 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I only needed the one C/I play to beat it, but boy, I had a little luck, and I was fairly aware of what plan/management I should adopt to keep the money rolling in, and keep my guys equipped and alive.

I managed to get the Wet Work cheevo last night. So after my current playthrough is done, the only cheevo left will be beating Impossible. Hah hah... I've had two goes at that already and didn't get past the first mission!

In light of that, what advice can anyone give for me to survive the early missions? I'm fairly covered in terms of the base management, getting satellites up and prioritising research and building, but the missions themselves... what tactics should I adopt to keep people alive and killing things?

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

• bunglebonce 18 Apr 2013 13:07:26 2,134 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gagging to play this! I'm holding out for it to come up on PS+ at some point, and/or a Vita announcement since it's being released on iOS - I'd likely keep the cart in the console permanently.

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 13:08:13 44,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I've got everything except the starting from five different continents and the impossible completion.

Little bit concerned about impossible - a grenade won't be enough to kill a sectoid any more O_O

• millerlfc 18 Apr 2013 13:11:25 372 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

I did a Normal game on my first playthrough and it was a good, challenging experience. Lost lots of soldiers, failed a few missions, quite a few abandoned XCOM etc. Second game I did Normal Ironman and it was FAR too easy - breezed through the whole game only ever losing 4 soliders, didn't lose any countries, had the whole globe blanketed in sattelites.

Classic Ironman is the way to go once you've completed the game. Just the right level of challenging (that occasionally spikes up unfairly) where you feel constantly under pressure - but you just have to accept that and prepare as best you can. Don't get complacent!
  • Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 13:14:01 8,383 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Any chance of a corrupted autosave on Ironman? I suppose there's always a chance, but is it common?
  • LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 13:15:47 44,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You won't get a corrupted autosave, and technically you could save in different slots when you quit the game and so create backups for yourself. Much less risk of enemies appearing in your midst as well, which seems to be linked with how the AI populates a map when reloading.

• Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 13:28:12 8,383 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Awesome.
  • graysonavich 18 Apr 2013 13:32:35 7,355 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    I have to say I'm pretty miffed at Firaxis's support for the game, it's been six months since launch and no DLC, sounds like they're going straight to sequel :(
    Since when was DLC anything more than an optional extra bonus?
  • robc84 18 Apr 2013 14:05:06 5,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ZizouFC I've never had a corrupted autosave on ps3 and I've only ever played ironman. The odd bug here and there (mostly teleports) but nothing that would discourage me from playing ironman.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last