XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 107

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• Zizoo 17 Apr 2013 10:58:07 7,707 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Are there any good guides for newbs I could read while at work?
  • LeoliansBro 17 Apr 2013 10:58:49 41,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm holding my breath for customised multiplayer maps and loadouts.

For the former, you can see the toolkit used to build the maps and rearranging them is pretty trivial. Putting that in the hands of the player or even coding the game so maps can be randomised would only be a small step, and would open the game up immeasureably. All the maps are familiar now.

For the latter, why can't you pay for each rank and choose the skill you want. Customising soldiers would again massively expand multiplayer.

I know this is a single player game and they got that just right but I want more variety of opponent and layout and a map where the darkness really is unknown.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 17 Apr 2013 10:59:45 41,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zizou - check out Ufopaedia, the UFO Wiki. Full of useful stuff.

• Zizoo 17 Apr 2013 11:04:33 7,707 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks. Will do. :)
  • LeoliansBro 17 Apr 2013 11:07:25 41,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also, try out the original UFO so you can see what the fuss is about. It's tougher, nastier, more sprawling, more unpredictable, cleverer, more flexible, more tense and ultimately more satisfying. The hill you climb is longer and bumpier and the ride down the other side to the payoff leaves you feeling like a GOD. Could be the best game ever.

• PenguinJim 17 Apr 2013 11:24:01 5,458 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    @PenguinJim - From what I can tell, the random shot chance only means less damage on average. I've never seen a weapon do more damage naturally than the max, so the "more variety of damage" just means the slider is moved down by 2/3HP for calculating the amount.
    Ah, thank you. Hadn't realised it was randomly SHIT - they really should put that in the description. ;) Maybe I'm good enough after all!
  • Elathron 17 Apr 2013 11:46:22 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @PenguinJim - Hehe, you're right. Most of the modifiers are like the skulls in Halo, they look good, but ultimately just serve to get you killed faster. I haven't tried the random rank up/stat boost because I feel that would also veer on the side of rubbish.
    Oh, the other good one is the random rewards from missions, that can yield some very good results early on!

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 08:37:11 7,707 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I started this last night, and I love it! I put 4 hours in before bed. I haven't done that on a weeknight in ages.

I have this horrible feeling that I am going about things the wrong way, but I suppose you are meant to play through more than once.

I am playing on normal and handled all the missions well so far, only losing one soldier to really poor placement. I actually hope the difficulty ramps up a bit.

A couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) Every guide I looked at stresses the importance of satellites. Is it just for money-making purposes?

2) I assume the first couple of missions, not just the first one, were part of the tutorial? If I don't tick it does it throw me straight in to doing my own thing? The reason I ask is I'm not 100% sure how getting missions work. Are only the campaign ones set and the others random?

3) Does the game keep going until I fail or is there an actual ending? Is it quite common to fail early and have to start over many times? (Like in FTL)

Actually that's all I can think of right now :)

Edited by ZizouFC at 09:00:28 18-04-2013
  • robc84 18 Apr 2013 09:11:10 4,367 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ZizouFC Regarding the difficulty, on normal I found that if you can get past month 3 and you are pretty good shape, you shouldn't have too many more issues. Classic is a big step up from normal though, especially in the very early stages. I lost count of how many time I had to restart after screwing up the first couple of missions!

1) Sattelites give you money, but also lower panic in the country you launch it in. It also offers an additional scientist / engineer at the end of the month depending on which country it is. Also, if you get coverage over every county in a continent, you get the continent bonus. (E.g. Africa is +30% monthly income, Europe is half price labs and workshops etc)

2) If you de-select the tutorial before starting the game, it just throws you straight into an abduction mission in your home contient. No hand holding! You get missions by scanning for activity in mission control. I'm not sure exactly how they are created, or whether its just random. I'm sure others will know more about this than me.

3) I'm ashamed to say I've never seena game through to game over. I normally give up when I know there is not a realistic chance of me completing. As far as I know, the only way to 'game over' is have 9 countries leave the X-Com project. Again, I may be wrong on this.
  • Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 09:23:41 7,707 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @robc84

I've just gone into month 2 and I'm hoping I'm not too far in to start doing the basics that everyone suggests (satellites etc). If I do somehow fail I will go back in but on Classic with my hopefully improved knowledge and skills.

1) I started construction of a generator as I didn't have the power for uplinks to power the satellites, but I now realize I should've had satellites being built anyway. I'll get on that straight away.

2) Cool! I don't like having the random soldiers from the tutorial in my memorial. I hope missions are random.

3) Perhaps I am just to early in the game, but do things turn to shit really quickly then?

Thought of a new question:

4) From what I understand Ironman you have only one save which makes loading your game when you mess up tricky, but even on normal like I'm playing on - is it frowned upon to load often? I am trying to stick to only loading if I fail a mission, not if I lose soldiers. I feel like I shouldn't load at all though as I want the proper experience.

Thanks for the reply
  • LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 09:36:27 41,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    rob's pointed you in the right direction Zizou. I'd only add the following:

1) Satellites are essential to prevent the loss of countries. If you lose eight then it's game over, full stop. There's also the problem of losing revenue if you lose a country. You need to balance resources for satellite construction with weapons and armour for your squad, and also balance country panic level, continent panic level and reward in your abduction mission choices. (As to the weapons and armour, I'm of the belief that you can only effectively prioritise one or the other, and play catch up later. I go for weapons, especially at higher levels where you should be focussing on not getting hit at all rather than weathering damage).

There are three ways to manage country panic level. A satellite is a one off reduction by two levels, a quick and dirty fix. Completing a mission successfully lowers the panic level in that country. And completing a mission successfully on the same CONTINENT lowers the panic level of all countries in that continent (on normal). So you may end up choosing a mission because you want the engineers (you always want the engineers) or choosing a mission because if you don't that country will leave XCOM, or even choosing a mission because although the country itself is OK the wider continent is a hotbed of dissent and you'll get fucked to buggery if you ignore them much longer.

One other thing on satellites - if you get full satellite coverage over an entire continent, you get that continent's starting bonus. For this reason it makes a lot of sense to start in Asia, as this is a bonus you'll almost never receive through getting full satellite coverage (it's also to my mind the best starting bonus). The other is Europe. Prioritising North American satellite coverage is generally a good idea - aside from the large revenues from that continent the cheaper air cover should hit just as your expansion demands it. South America is tasty too, some like Africa but it never seems important to me.

2) The tutorial plays out the same way every time, as rob says deselecting it after the first time is the best option as you can actually get off to a far better start without it. There's also Ironman, which is possibly my favourite thing about this game. When I played the original UFO I was a weak willed pussy and forever reliant on reloading to get me out of tactical errors and bad luck. Ironman takes that temptation away from you by autosaving and not allowing reloads, and I really can't impress on you enough how different a game that makes. I've said it before but your team seem to ... come alive, almost. They disobey you, charging in on a fool's errand, staying and covering as their team gets to safety but staying too long and dying in a hail of plasma. It makes the game cinematic somehow, your colonel trapped by thin men and bleeding out as the medic charges in to get him, your rookie making himself the hero as he stands in plain view to take the crucial shot, missing, dying, or better making it! You can almost here the conversation in the Skyranger on the way back: 'You did good, rookie.' You didn't cheat to make this happen, this was a single run through, an epic story that you follow as much as participate in. And you'll come in here and tell those tales and want to share the moments, when your last soldier couldn't make it back to the skyranger when you were in over your head and bugging out, when you surprised a nest of mutons and never thought you'd get your support guy back until Glasvegas, the mad red haired assault nutter bussed it in there and, inaccurate as ever, blew the car up they were all hiding behind. He'll insist to his dying day he meant to do that, and we're happy to believe him.

Ahem. Sorry.

3) There is an end. And it is suitably cinematic. Don't get unnerved, believe in your soldiers and what they can do, use everything you have available, and make sure one of those things is a fucking ginormous sniper rifle or the 'nuclear option' heavy build :D

Now carry on.

• Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 09:44:59 7,707 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wow! Thanks LB! Great tips and some inspirational words :D

I feel like starting over now and enabling Ironman...

One last question (I promise.. maybe):

Is the class that new soldiers get random? I keep getting heavy.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 09:46:00 41,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It is random, but one of the officer school perks means that they'll get a class as soon as you buy them, so you'll be able to tailor your teams a lot more quickly later in the game.

• twelveways 18 Apr 2013 09:47:10 3,505 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wish there was a multiplayer vs option, no aliens just squad v squad. Kinda takes away from the game I guess but I think it would be awesome.
  • twelveways 18 Apr 2013 09:49:05 3,505 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it random? I assumed it was based on the soldiers performance i.e. shooting from a distance would promote to sniper, getting hit a lot would promote to heavy etc. sounds a bit stupid now I think about it
  • Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 09:49:54 7,707 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers! I can't wait to get home and play. I haven't felt like this about a game in ages! :)
  • LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 09:52:25 41,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And heavies are fun. Just don't think of them as soldiers ;)

A heavy has the worst (by some margin) aiing accuracy improvement as he levels up, so a Heavy Colonel is only as accurate as a Sniper Lieutenant. Act accordingly, either:

a) try and force the issue - give them SCOPEs as the flat increase to targeting is most beneficial to a heavy,

b) stick them in giant armour and get them in close as a sort of Assault on Prozac ;) this rarely ends well but in tight quarters they can do a lot of damage.

c) see them for what they are - an explosion delivery service who have a gun as well.

You should really go for c), and you can either build a MIRV heavy - who by the end can make five different things go boom per mission before he even remembers he has a gun, or build the nuclear option, where you went for one huge explosion kaboom of awesomeness which renders every woman on the continent pregnant.

(There's another heavy build emphasising area denial which is more support-y, but I don't favour it)

• LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 09:53:22 41,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    I wish there was a multiplayer vs option, no aliens just squad v squad. Kinda takes away from the game I guess but I think it would be awesome.
    Erm?

• twelveways 18 Apr 2013 09:54:26 3,505 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there?
  • Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 09:59:10 7,707 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

I try to have one of each in my squad (of 5 at the moment), although I only have one support guy who is always injured. So 2 assaults, but I'll try 2 heavies.

Reading through this thread and the general consensus seems to be that Ironman is pretty much nailed on (your words I believe :)). I suppose I could just be strong and not load when I mess up, or is there more to Ironman than that?

I'm happy on normal mode as I just read that the difficulty does spike after a while. I'll do a Classic Ironman after this play through.

Sorry, I know I said last question, but: from what I can gather, unless I load after every failed mission/mistake, things can go wrong to the point where I will fail/game over even without Ironman?
  • LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 10:01:18 41,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I guarantee you that you'll reload without Ironman :)

And I'd do normal Ironman before Classic Ironman. CI is a total bitch.

• Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 10:07:13 7,707 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I know I will :(

I kept saying over and over in my head "you can load if you fail the mission but not if a squad mate dies", but I know that isn't the way to play :)

I'll have a good think tonight about starting over. I'm already attached to my current squad though!
  • robc84 18 Apr 2013 10:10:37 4,367 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I knew I should have just let LB answer than question....

Ironman is the only way to play for me. It can be frustrating but at least when you do succeed its that much more satisfying.

CI is a realy bitch early on. Your rookies generally cant hit a barn door and early thin men are the hardest enemies you come up against imo.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 10:12:58 41,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Get a bottle of whiskey while you play and drink a glass to them at the memorial wall when they die. It's far more respect than you'd ever normally show a computer game character but they are far more important than characters as well, somehow.

Also don't play on Ironman while drunk. I know there may be an element of contradiction in those two points but I don't have any quick and easy answers for you, dammit!

(Oh and re. the squad makeup, there are only two things I'd always look to include in a squad - a sniper with squadsight and a pure rookie)

• Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 10:23:31 7,707 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Haha ok, will do. I really am feeling attached to them. Naming them is what does it i think.

Why a rookie? Just to keep them coming through the ranks?

Sorry, I'm still not sure on this: are missions random? Do they occur at set points in the calender when scanning?
  • Elathron 18 Apr 2013 10:27:28 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ZizouFC - Missions are random - apart from the 3 story ones which pop up as you go along. Keep rookies in your squads to make them less brittle, and the officer training school is your best friend early on if you find your troops get killed/injured on each mission.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 10:28:56 7,707 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks!
  • LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 10:33:01 41,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You need a rookie because you need to keep soldiers developing so you have some depth to your squad. You'll find it very hard to survive a wipe in the later game if you've got a bunch of rookies going in (maybe a council mission if you give them all light plasma rifles and scopes, making them really rather accurate, otherwise sayonara). And you'll need a deep squad because something ... happens, later.

There is a shell structure of missions, for instance the first council mission always occurs towards the end of the first month (IIRC) and is the first major hurdle. Other specific missions also occur if driven by your actions. Abduction missions and the like are randomised but based on your satellite coverage and the panic levels in countries.

• LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 10:33:34 41,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also SHIVs look like a good idea but are never as good as a soldier.

• Zizoo 18 Apr 2013 10:54:22 7,707 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can I not put off campaign missions and just advance with "random" missions and build up and do them at my own pace, or does that cause failure? Is there actually a set time to finish the game? A certain day when you need to have everything done?
  • Page

of 126 First / Last