XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 106

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• ardamillo 7 Apr 2013 08:23:48 523 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They are keeping very quiet about new maps and so on. I wonder what they're up to?

Really I just want an excuse for another playthrough.
  • Mayhem64 7 Apr 2013 13:05:59 668 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, more DLC would be good.

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

• robc84 9 Apr 2013 09:56:21 5,642 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Has anyone else had a problem finding the last alien on a mission?

Not sure if it is a bug, but I am cuerrently clearing a downed UFO (large scout). There were no aliens outside that I could find (which i thought was odd), and I have taken out 4 mutons, a beserker (stunned) and the outsider in the ship.

I am getting the sound waves coming from within the ship, but I have searched every room and cannot find it. Whenever I get near them they change direction and say they are coming from the other side of the ship. I'm thinking something may have bugged out, like maybe it thinks the stunned beserker is still alive or something.

Anyone else had something similar and how did you resolve it?
  • LeoliansBro 9 Apr 2013 10:09:27 44,282 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He's on the roof.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• robc84 9 Apr 2013 10:17:08 5,642 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hmmm, possibly. Although I did take a sneak peek on the roof before entering the ship and didn't see anything. I'll take another look. Thanks for the tip.
  • LeoliansBro 9 Apr 2013 10:20:38 44,282 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry, bit of a brief answer. To explain - when you see the soundwaves, they give the direction but are always placed just shy of the edge of the screen. If the alien which is making the noise is really close, this can be misleading.

Take the soldier who heard the noise as the baseline. Search in a line between him and the edge of the map where you heard the noise, but include areas really close to him. My bet is the errant alien is still in / on the UFo and you're being confused by the soundwave animation.

• robc84 9 Apr 2013 10:26:17 5,642 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Makes sense what you are saying about soundwaves.

Come to think of it, it must be on the roof. I've searched the whole inside of the UFO. I'm just surprised I didn't trigger when I scouted up there before. Although I wasn't particlarly thorough to be fair. I suppose it could be one that I have triggered and has run up there and is camping on OW. I really hope not though....
  • Mayhem64 9 Apr 2013 12:06:47 668 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    On the roof was my first thought as well, if the direction keeps changing as you move about. I've had a sectopod and a cyberdisc both camp on top of a UFO during mission before. You got anyone with Archangel armour?

• Mr_Sleep 9 Apr 2013 12:37:39 17,082 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This reminds me of the time when I had a mission with two sectopods in a small ship and one of the buggers was on the roof tooling around. It was a pretty difficult thing to get him and not lose anyone.

You are a factory of sadness.

• robc84 9 Apr 2013 12:51:35 5,642 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No Archangel unfortunately. To be fair I'm only just about hanging in on this game. I suffered a squad wipe of all my best soldiers on a terror mission in the previous month. I'm currently struggling to rank up soldiers and keep on top of panic. I nearly quit after that mission but decided I'd probably learn more by sticking with it!

I've nearly finished researching plasma rifles though which I'm hoping may help turn the tide.

I never thought I'd say it but I had a couple of spare sats due to countries leaving and I put them over south america and it really helped me out. I had so many autopsies and interrogations I had to do but couldn't as there was always something more important to research.
  • LeoliansBro 9 Apr 2013 12:52:22 44,282 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stick some grenades up there man!

Carry on.

• robc84 9 Apr 2013 13:08:17 5,642 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wish I had some. I've been kitting my squaddies out with NFVs / Combat Stims to try to keep them alive.

Think My support is going to have to head up there with a couple of squaddies and hope for the best. Think I'll struggle to get my sniper up there. Although if I move him far enough back I may get lucky with squad sight. Not sure what I'll find. If I'm lucky it will just be a couple of floaters
  • 1Dgaf 15 Apr 2013 11:10:01 3,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has this been patched recently? Wondered if they'd sorted out the teleporting monsters etc.

Also, did anyone buy the DLC? What did you think of it?

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• LeoliansBro 15 Apr 2013 11:16:09 44,282 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DLC is almost incidental to the game. It's not what I came for so I passed on it.

• Ziz0u 16 Apr 2013 12:11:27 8,387 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is this decent on PS3?
  • robc84 16 Apr 2013 12:56:17 5,642 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ZizouFC I play on ps3 and it's fine. I just get the same bugs as everyone else (teleporting aliens etc) but they are not that common and certainly not game breaking in my opinion.

I've not played it on any other format though so can't compare.
  • Ziz0u 16 Apr 2013 13:03:15 8,387 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @robc84

Thanks. I spotted a 2nd hand copy today for PS3. I'm gonna grab it. :)

Cheers
  • phAge 16 Apr 2013 17:50:10 24,371 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    About to start a 2nd playthrough. this time with Slingshot DLC and some of the 2nd Wave-stuff enabled.

Any advice on what to enable and what to leave off to get an experience that is closer to the old UFO, but still plays great?
  • LeoliansBro 16 Apr 2013 17:54:42 44,282 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Longer, randomer I guess.

• millerlfc 16 Apr 2013 19:13:58 372 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Is this decent on PS3?
    There's some annoying slow-down at times, and loading times can be quite long.

Doesn't crash though - when I played it on my old 360 that happened many times (Ironman mode meant it was all saved though).
  • Elathron 16 Apr 2013 22:07:53 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Completed classic ironman the other night. Ouch. That was a steep learning curve from playing on normal, saved only by doing the (2nd wave) "random stat rookies". Of all the modifiers they put in to make the game yet more difficult, this one proved the most useful by giving me troops with 80/100 will from the off (and up to 95 aim too). Tough slog but a good feeling when it was all done!

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Ziz0u 16 Apr 2013 22:09:46 8,387 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @millerlfc

Thanks
  • Bremenacht 17 Apr 2013 01:06:49 18,322 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    Completed classic ironman the other night. Ouch. That was a steep learning curve from playing on normal, saved only by doing the (2nd wave) "random stat rookies". Of all the modifiers they put in to make the game yet more difficult, this one proved the most useful by giving me troops with 80/100 will from the off (and up to 95 aim too). Tough slog but a good feeling when it was all done!
    Well done! How many restarts did it take for you? I can't remember how many times I got to month three and had to sack the game and start again. Five at least.
  • krushing 17 Apr 2013 08:36:56 777 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    millerlfc wrote:
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Is this decent on PS3?
    There's some annoying slow-down at times, and loading times can be quite long.

Doesn't crash though - when I played it on my old 360 that happened many times (Ironman mode meant it was all saved though).
    I had a great many crashes on PS3. Haven't really played it for awhile, so might be that it's been fixed since...
  • Ziz0u 17 Apr 2013 08:41:01 8,387 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'll be sure to download any updates.
  • Elathron 17 Apr 2013 09:17:13 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Bremenacht - Ummm. 16... Seeing as I'm on game 18 and only played through one complete game before that. I think I originally started on impossible/ironman..... Bwuhahaha what an idiot I felt.
    Thanks though dude, it was a tough cheevo to pop but I'm straight back into it (albeit with ironman turned off) to complete South America on Classic - when aligned with satellites over europe your research goes about 75% faster overall, meaning I've skipped lasers entirely and gone straight onto plasma and pillow cannons :D

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• LeoliansBro 17 Apr 2013 09:18:32 44,282 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My hardest Classic Ironman was a wipe on the Intruder UFO followed by my fucking up a council mission. To get that far in and have to restart was not the highlight of my life...

• PenguinJim 17 Apr 2013 09:56:16 5,865 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I gave up on CI. Got to Game 16 (imagine about 12 of those were CI/CI restarts) and despite an amazingly lucky playthrough where I'd satellited three continents and was bringing in $1100 a month (I'd never even seen four figures in my account before), my awesome squad (including a Col Heavy and two Col Snipers, one of them psychic) was soundly trounced by a UFO of 23 bad guys (according to the hyperwave detector thingy). Didn't have any more psychics, and fielding rookies to replace my lost amazosquad resulted in annihilatorama.

I think... I'm just not good enough.

Yet.

I'll come back in a couple of months.

(I'll try Random Soldier Stats, too - had Random Rewards and Random Shot Chances enabled already)
  • Elathron 17 Apr 2013 10:05:46 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @PenguinJim - From what I can tell, the random shot chance only means less damage on average. I've never seen a weapon do more damage naturally than the max, so the "more variety of damage" just means the slider is moved down by 2/3HP for calculating the amount.
    When you get to do the random soliders, you can pretty much take your pick of the decent rookies and just dismiss the rest (sub 85 aim on classic means instant dismissal!). You'll really notice the difference in heavies, who actually become useful because they can actually hit targets when using bullet storm, instead of just supressing/holo-targeting...

• Mayhem64 17 Apr 2013 10:54:40 668 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wow... so many attempts from other people. I think the fact my first and only C/I attempt got me to the end is based upon slow, cautious, paranoid play, and a bit of luck heh... I got many injuries, but never any of my ranked soldiers killed.

• Page

of 130 First / Last