of 126 First / Last

• L_Franko Moderator 8 Mar 2013 11:24:58 9,694 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I want to play this again now.
  • fletch7100 23 Mar 2013 22:53:42 6,977 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The game is now bring released on iPhone and iPad this summer. Plus Firaxis teased a video at Pax, so new content or maybe a sequel will be getting announced soon

Edited by fletch7100 at 22:54:00 23-03-2013
  • Deleted user 24 March 2013 00:05:14
    If they nail asynchronous multiplayer this will be awesome on iOS.
  • Mayhem64 24 Mar 2013 00:10:07 662 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I must be near the end as well I figure... just built the Gollop chamber, haven't used it yet, currently on a retrieval mission, and then abduction mission straight after first. Then probably use it.

Do I actually need 6 psi guys for the final end though? Probably overkill surely. Three of my main team have psi abilities, so that may be enough in general...?

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

• hypoBla5t 24 Mar 2013 06:11:23 1,360 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One is fine as long as you keep him / her alive dood. At least one psi soldier needs to be wearing psi armour as well.
  • Mayhem64 24 Mar 2013 12:22:16 662 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep, definitely got that, my main psi dude (he's on level 2 psi, working towards getting him that third rank in the upcoming 2 side missions) has psi armour on.

Oddly enough, I bought the DLC before playing, so I did those missions as part of the storyline. It's the guy you get from the DLC, the Chinese dude who turned out to be the first psi guy I earned heh. So I'll HAVE to bring him into the final battle anyhow, and earn that last cheevo for the DLC.

• RabidChild 24 Mar 2013 12:30:39 2,289 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just started playing this this week. Am I bobbins at it, or is it really difficult? Or am I being too precious about keeping my soldiers alive?
  • Bremenacht 24 Mar 2013 17:46:09 17,613 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you chance your arm, it'll usually take it. Keeping soldiers alive is the right thing to do.
  • Mayhem64 25 Mar 2013 01:09:32 662 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What difficulty you playing at RabidChild?

• robc84 25 Mar 2013 08:51:21 5,324 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Been trying CI, and boy is it a step up from normal.

The furthest I have got is month 4, but then a squad wipe of my best soldiers at liverpool train station (6 mutons, 2 Cyberdisks & drones) sent panic out of control and left me few decent soldiers.

I'm usually out around month two though. I can just about handle the sectoids, annoying as they are, but once the thin men start turning up it usually means game over. Those guys are crazy accurate on Classic, and even full cover is usless most of the time.

What usually happens is thin men appear, I pull my squad back into best available cover and go on over watch. thin man runs out, all overwatch shots miss. Dead soldier. Rinse, repeat!
  • LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 08:57:47 43,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the best setting for this game is NI. CI is way too harsh in the early stages and you're frantic in your research / satellite management, a bad Council mission or Terror Site will also kill you stone dead. NI offers a serious challenge as well but you can recover from setbacks.

Impossible still remains unstarted. I always find reasons to do something else :)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Zizoo 25 Mar 2013 08:58:55 8,113 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I really hope they stick this on Vita since they are doing so with iOS devices.
  • robc84 25 Mar 2013 09:03:32 5,324 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I dont like to be beaten though. The first council mission is usually a squad wipe, and I don't usually recover from that.

Have to admit its starting to get a bit frustrating now. I think I'll try once more then maybe take a break.

Regarding satellite strategy, my current thinking is to start in Africa. Reason being I want the continent bonus, but I'm not too bothered about keeping the individual countries. So I can effectively ignore any abduction missions in Africa (unless I really want the reward). My main priority for satellites is to get NA ASAP as I want the continent bonus. Then just cover the others based on panic level. Although Russia is usually a priority for cash reasons. SA is usually ignored.
  • Mr-Brett 25 Mar 2013 09:28:54 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A teaser from PAX:

Portable view - Never forget.

• LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 09:58:48 43,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't get away from SE Asia as the best starting point. It has so many countries to cover which means you'll almost never get that continent bonus otherwise, and (for my style of play) it is THE bonus to have. You cannot win without heavy investment in at least the Officer School, and being able to do that early, while you're still facing the real difficulty hump, is invaluable.

South America can suck my ballsack though. Shitty income, and a bonus that is both easy to get through satellite cover and pretty worthless? Fuck off.

Generally though, get the US and Russia on board asap and then go for the African continent. Of course this advice is utterly worthless as you'll be building satellites wherever the aliens are causing the most trouble, but it should be there as an underlying guide.

• robc84 25 Mar 2013 10:08:35 5,324 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Remind me what the Asia bonus is again?

Cash is a big problem early on, which is why I went Africa. But I agree officer training school is essential. Its just a) being able to afford it and b) getting soldiers ranked up enough to get the 5th and 6th squad members.

I think if you can get carapace and laser weapons along with a 6 man squad, you stand a fair chance of progessing. I was doing ok until the RNG gods aspired against me. Although looking back I think I did make a few minor mistakes in that mission. Unfortuntely on classic thats all it takes.
  • LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 10:36:51 43,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Half price purchases from the Officer Training School and Foundry. These are the single highest cost (in pure money terms) along with satellites. Having this bonus makes the R&D race to have lasers before the Mutons turn up a bit more flexible.

I'm a huge fan of a fully upgraded pistol as well. Your sniper suddenly becomes a roving assassin (especially with the gunslinger perk but why you'd ever take that I have no idea) and ammo suddenly becomes moot.

• robc84 25 Mar 2013 10:49:09 5,324 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I know the usual advice is to always go for engineers and ignore scientists, but I'm tempted to try that the other way around. Having extra sceintists could help get carapace and lasers earlier.

On the flipside though I guess you'd struggle build any uplinks etc due to lack of engineers which would leave you short of money.

Maybe there is some kind of balance
  • Mr-Brett 25 Mar 2013 10:50:21 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm, I'm bumbling through my first attempt (continued form tutorial) and I largely skipped lasers. I built a couple of laser pistols but overall it was too expensive so I focused on capturing Thin Men and Floaters for their light plasma rifles, then gradually did the same with Mutons for proper plasma rifles.

• robc84 25 Mar 2013 11:15:35 5,324 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If you can do it it seems like a good strategy, but all i have been able to capture on classic is a sectoid and an outsider. I'm usually starting over before I build a containment and research arc throwers. Thin men are hard enough to kill let alone get near enough to capture.

I usually go for carapace > lasers. But I may try the other way around. Thin men seem to kill me regardless so I may as well just try to get them first!
  • Mr-Brett 25 Mar 2013 11:23:01 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I got lucky a few times and the disabling shot really helps too. If they have more than 3 points of health or there's a number enemies still in sight then it's usually not worth trying to capture. Also it's worth trying to capture early in the turn so if it fails you can still take them out with other troops before they murder your capturer.

• robc84 25 Mar 2013 12:16:48 5,324 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've not tried disabling shot really. Do you get extra hit % for lower damage like you do with flush?
  • LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 12:18:55 43,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Disabling shot is risky as arseholes against Mutons because they'll just chuck grenades instead. And flushing shot is a bit shit as well as you may as well fire and hope to destroy their cover (or indeed hit them outright...).

• Mr-Brett 25 Mar 2013 12:27:07 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah it's certainly risky, saved my arse a few times against the cyberdiscs early on though.

• LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 12:28:16 43,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do they not just throw grenades as well?

• robc84 25 Mar 2013 12:31:20 5,324 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just thinking about flush. Generally, I haven't found much use for it. But I'm wondering whether it may be useful against thin men early on. I.e. Put the whole squad on OW and flush them out.
  • Bremenacht 25 Mar 2013 12:56:12 17,613 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Don't they (and Mutons) only throw grenades when they can hit two squadmembers though? I don't recall seeing a grenade used against one guy.
  • Mr_Sleep 25 Mar 2013 13:54:27 16,848 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Hmm, I'm bumbling through my first attempt (continued form tutorial) and I largely skipped lasers. I built a couple of laser pistols but overall it was too expensive so I focused on capturing Thin Men and Floaters for their light plasma rifles, then gradually did the same with Mutons for proper plasma rifles.
    This can be a very useful way of getting a leg up early on as lasers take up a lot of research time and as soon as you're done with them they become obsolete, to some degree. It takes the right timing and squad selection though, on one game I had a lot of assault troops and without the heavy laser I'd have struggled.

You are a factory of sadness.

• LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 14:01:25 43,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Don't they (and Mutons) only throw grenades when they can hit two squadmembers though? I don't recall seeing a grenade used against one guy.
    Hmmm, you may be right. In any case, it makes damn sure that the Muton will look for this option.

But disabling shot might be worth a gander after all. I've never really cared for Battle Scanner, it'd be far better as a Support perk (so you could actually use your team as, y'know, a team).

Flush though - if you're that high up the Assault tree and you don't take Rapid Fire I'm going to come round your house and slap you.

• LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 14:02:20 43,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    This can be a very useful way of getting a leg up early on as lasers take up a lot of research time and as soon as you're done with them they become obsolete, to some degree. It takes the right timing and squad selection though, on one game I had a lot of assault troops and without the heavy laser I'd have struggled.
    You'll need at least basic laser research in the end to climb the sniper tree. Can you get to the Alloy Cannon without it as well?

• Page

of 126 First / Last