XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 103

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• fletch7100 3 Mar 2013 10:12:34 7,446 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Capt Brigitte "Cargo" Bardot. You will be sorely missed.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb
  • Dodgymat 3 Mar 2013 11:06:53 952 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @fletch7100

Sounds like I had a lot more close encounters in my mission, probably as by the time I'd moved everyone into cover after Turn 1 they just kept flooding into view, meaning my ammo drained without moving anyone again. Had to choose whether the nearest Chryssalids would get to me if I didn't shoot them and chose to reload, just leaving one on Overwatch some turns. Could have gone very badly very quickly!

RIP Ms Bardot. Funny how the main Psi person seems mostly to be a woman, 4 out of 5 of mine have been so far...
  • DodgyPast 4 Mar 2013 06:41:39 8,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spectral wrote:
    Anyone with the PC version up for MP sometime? Turns out my friends dont like good games. It'll be any easy win for if nothing else.
    Definitely.

Just quit my first play through on Normal... Was doing okay but feel that the effects of prior errors was mounting. Had lost 3 nations to panic while still not getting round to even 1 more satellite uplink by the time I hit the alien base. While my research and engineering was flying I didn't have the cash to take advantage of it.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 4 Mar 2013 07:00:41 39,805 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I got this on PC from Venatio (and very kind of him it was too) and have been playing it through VERY slowly since.

Anyway, I actually rage quit it last night after I missed a 100% point blank shot against a Muton with my heavy captain. He died in the next alien activity turn :(

I'll be back...

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• fletch7100 4 Mar 2013 08:04:03 7,446 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Dodgymat

Think my squad just had great overwatch and reaction bonuses. Sniper with no penalty overwatch, assault guys with the close quarters bonus. It was a glorious killing spree from my point of view, was on a urban map so close quarters worked in favour of my assault guys.

Highlight yesterday was one sectoid walking into the open and all 6 squad members fired at him all at the same time. Almost felt sorry for him :)
  • Salaman 4 Mar 2013 10:42:19 19,626 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm currently still in my first playthrough.
    At the moment I have amassive alien spaceship floating somewhere in orbit and I've built a somethingsomthing chamber in my base. Giving me 2 options to scan the globe.
    I'm yet to use the new option. I had one crappy psi soldier so I've been recruiting soldiers, psi-testing them and dismissing the non psi guys. I'm up to a squad of 25 now. With about 6 Colonols or majors or whatever the top rank is. 6 PSI soldiers that I'm taking out on missions to level up.
    My question is though. I feel a little like I'm possibly over-preparing for what's in store. If I use the new scan ability. Does it kick off the end game? Or is there some ways to go still. I don't want to kick it off and be ill prepared but I half expect I'm building up trying to build up a squad of PSI colonels but there may be a little while before I engage that big alien space ship.

Can anyone shed some light?

Also, what's up with the saving function?
    If I take the skyranger out on a mission and hit F10 it quicksaved fine.
    When I'm in the based and go to "save game" and then go straight to "load game" the only options I have are auto saves and in mission quick saves that were there before already. Doesn't seem to be doing anything when I tell it to save.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Mar 2013 10:45:26 44,965 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman - it'll give you a warning, but that's basically the endgame there. Don't do it before you feel ready.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• RedSparrows 4 Mar 2013 10:49:02 24,293 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like the last mission. It's the only place you can go 'ach fuck it' and charge sectopods head on.*

*Not recommended.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Mar 2013 10:56:02 44,965 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is if you're using Mutons :)

• LeoliansBro 4 Mar 2013 10:57:03 44,965 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, the 'special' power works against robots. Perfect for that point when two of the buggers crop up.

• RedSparrows 4 Mar 2013 10:58:24 24,293 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, normally how I do it.

Muton to scout. Sniper up high + special psi guy + heavy.
    Reveal.
    Dead.
  • millerlfc 4 Mar 2013 16:36:24 388 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Had Starship Trooper style mission on my CI game at the weekend. Terror mission with that big building complex, killed 2 floaters and rescued 1 civilian in the first turn. Over the next couple of turns couldn't find any civilians or aliens (there were only Chyssalids left but I didn't know at this point), and all I could hear was civilian screams as they were all quickly killed off or poisoned.

Then as I started to enter the building I was attacked by several of the hatched Chryssalids, and in the process I managed to trigger a bunch of others to attack me. I had all men running (laser rifles and standard sniper/heavy) back to the Skyranger being pursued by at least 8 Chryssalids. I wasn't going to make it so 'Viking' bravely ran the other way drawing most of the Chryssalids with him. This gave the rest of his team time to regroup and just about kill them all while Viking was horribly slaughtered.

I then had to put Viking out of his misery (as he was now a zombie) and VERY carefully explore the rest of the map and kill the remaining hordes of Chryssalids. Whole mission took me about 2 hours, and was one of the most tense gaming experiences I can remember.
  • hypoBla5t 5 Mar 2013 08:21:26 1,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, my first CI game is dead in the water.

Managed a full squad wipe at Liverpool train station. My team were all scrunched up fighting along the platform when a load of mutons burst through a train and flanked me.

Managed to react but my team make hard work of taking down sectoids on this difficulty so I shouldn't really have been surprised to lose 3 of my team to one hit KOs when they were behind full cover.

Plus I forgot to order satellites in time for the end of the month so by the time I get them the game will be over anyway.

Going to save my tactical energy for Starcraft 2: HOTS now I think. 1 week to go!!
  • Bremenacht 5 Mar 2013 12:32:15 19,666 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Go on - I'm sure you can fit in one or two more CI wipeouts before then!
  • hypoBla5t 5 Mar 2013 12:48:54 1,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Go on - I'm sure you can fit in one or two more CI wipeouts before then!
    The bastard thing about this game is that I probably will now as well!! It's just too good. Few other games create that nervous pressure in quite the same way as XCOM. It's an absolute triumph.
  • hypoBla5t 6 Mar 2013 08:01:30 1,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well I did start CI again, after the mess that was my last playthrough this one has started scarily well.

A kill for each soldier on the first mission and they ranked up as one of each class!! Then proceeded to decimate the second mission as well, four sectoids standing together were wiped out by one rocket in one particularly epic moment.

Afraid to carry on now to be honest!!
  • Salaman 6 Mar 2013 09:53:55 19,626 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Training up my psi super squad. I feel sort of bad for the Colonels that have been with me from the first hour. They survived this long, saved my ass a few times as well. And now they're benched as we get near final victory.

Quite fun though to go romping through with 6 PSI guys.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2013 09:59:52
    Just a few hours into this – seems a great game so far.

One thing though - if any of your squad die can you just reload your saved game?
    Sort of defeats the purpose of them dying ‘permanently’?
  • L_Franko Moderator 8 Mar 2013 10:18:32 9,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Play it on Ironman and you can't reload, that is the real test.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2013 10:32:48
    Ah OK thanks. Sorry for the noob question - like I say Ive only just started playing.
  • LeoliansBro 8 Mar 2013 10:33:41 44,965 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good luck, it's a great game.

• L_Franko Moderator 8 Mar 2013 10:38:10 9,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alipan wrote:
    Ah OK thanks. Sorry for the noob question - like I say Ive only just started playing.
    Not a problem. You might have one or two more questions as you prgress into the game, a good number of people in here will happily help out.

Enjoy.

Edited by L_Franko at 10:38:29 08-03-2013
  • Deleted user 8 March 2013 10:38:31
    Cheers both.

Whats great is that I have avoided reading anything about it - reviews, this thread etc.. so I literally have no idea what to expect.

Its really refreshing actually - sometimes I find when I start a game I already know too much!

Edited by Alipan at 10:38:55 08-03-2013
  • LeoliansBro 8 Mar 2013 10:40:19 44,965 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't read this thread then!

• Salaman 8 Mar 2013 11:09:18 19,626 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did another 2 missions with the psi squad yesterday, getting promotions galore. I haven't been giving the newest recruits any nicknames and comedy monikers. I don't think I really read anyone's names. Just sniper guy, support guy, heavy, other heavy.

So on my first mission I made a little mistake, exposed one of the team and one of them big fuck off aliens that charges at you when it gets shot managed to get to him and hulk smashed him into a bloody pulp on the pavement. :-(

Apparently he was called Kenny. I only noticed because of the southpark-esque message on the HUD along the lines of:
    "Alien X killed Kenny"
    "Kenny is dead"
    :-)
  • hypoBla5t 8 Mar 2013 11:11:27 1,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Personally before trying Ironman, or at least Classic Ironman, I'd recommend doing a Normal Normal playthrough just to get to grips with everything. That's what I did anyways.
  • L_Franko Moderator 8 Mar 2013 11:15:09 9,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But normal just becomes too easy as you get a few missions in. It is very unlikely that you'll complete the game on the first couple of attempts on Classic but it will give you a much more satisfying experience overall.
  • RedSparrows 8 Mar 2013 11:19:33 24,293 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The whole game gets much easier ('easier') post-Alien Base. It's a bit of a problem, in a sense.
  • LeoliansBro 8 Mar 2013 11:23:01 44,965 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Getting over the difficulty hill is one of the joys of this game for me. Having seen these aliens take down squad after squad, being able to take the fight to them and kick them to pieces is a real 'WHO'S YOUR DADDY??' moment. Fuck you in the face, offworld scum!

And Alipan - Ironman is a totally different game. Even Easy on Ironman is a fairly stiff challenge, because anyone can get careless and getting careless is all it takes...

• RedSparrows 8 Mar 2013 11:24:21 24,293 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Until Heavy Floaters turn up. Bastards.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last