XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 102

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 31 Jan 2013 11:59:32 43,284 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and more awesomely, for a command room attack, have assault troops (with the close combat reaction bonus) at side doors and then trigger from another entrance. Aliens will tend to flee, running out past your assault trooper, who will react and fire and them have a follow up move and fire (probably two shots with the right bonus). Three shots per trooper on an Ethereal before it ever gets to move for itself.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• basmans_grob 31 Jan 2013 22:13:29 264 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    just faced my first double sectoid commander UFO since using all the second wave options. I've been choosing high aim squads and not really caring about their will.

That hurt.

I kill off three spawns of mutons only not running away from the mission because the box wasn't there.

First turn the commanders turn they panic one, by the second turn four are panicked and by the third two are turned.

I think my A-team have just become c listers.
  • Zidargh 2 Feb 2013 16:01:35 1,669 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have just saved the world.

Brilliant game.

The ending mission was a tad easy and the ending itself wasn't executed as epically as it could have been.

But nonetheless, this is one of the most polished games I've played in a long long time. 9/10
  • AaronTurner 2 Feb 2013 19:04:55 7,598 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't agree regarding the polish, it's a very buggy game even after the patches its received. It's great though, enjoying the second wave options, makes your squad options even more interesting.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Feb 2013 19:07:50 43,284 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, second wave stuff especially makes this the gift that keeps on giving.

Also FUCK impossible.

• basmans_grob 10 Feb 2013 13:57:27 264 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    it only took 60 attempts and 160 hours but I have also saved the world on CI. Well ish. I got killed on the temple assault but even on Ironman you can have a free redo. If they release more DLC I think I will give it another go.
  • Bremenacht 10 Feb 2013 15:11:25 17,614 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well done!
  • jabberwoky 10 Feb 2013 20:45:26 470 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So did I! I saved it too a few days ago!!

Everyone's ending will be different, here is how mine happened. First I did not know that you only had to kill the main dude to win, I played thinking I had to take everyone out. Well, everyone bundled in to the last room and took out one of the elites, and caused a bit of damage. After two turns 3 people got mind controlled. One lay dying, and my chose one's nose was touching a mind controlled solder's nose, having been shot by her and with 1 hp left, no medikit and reliant on a pistol. It was game over, I had given up. Then the lone survivor, half wounded Katarina Malakova, the veteran who had been in almost every mission from the beginning, a legend throughout the organisation, stood up and looked me full in the eye. She held her gun in the air and shouted, "this doesn't end till I say it ends.......this, THIS is my time!

And she leapt over the wall, (it was a 15 foot drop, personally I would have worried about grazing myself), dodged point blank reaction fire, from an elite, made it to sighting point and let rip on the main dude. She needed 10% to critical in order to bring him down. She got 10% critical. She brought him down. Cue cinematics!!

I think one of the strengths of the game is how everyone's story is different and every ending is unique.
  • RedSparrows 10 Feb 2013 23:57:12 22,085 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've never been in the last room. I camp outside and snipe/blaster bomb anything that appears.
  • Bremenacht 11 Feb 2013 00:50:25 17,614 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nothing quite like winning a game epicly.
  • TOOTR 14 Feb 2013 21:13:25 9,498 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    After beating normal, on LB's advice and many smackdowns on classic I'm going to try for NI next.

Impossible is but a dream :

"How many Impossible playthroughs actually got completed during development?

Well in terms of getting beaten, we had two. There was one guy in QA because we were like, you have to prove that this is possible because we give out an achievement for beating the game on Impossible and we were like, look we have to prove this otherwise Microsoft and Sony are going to be like, “Hey, a------, is this even possible?” So we actually had a QA guy go through and beat it. Then I had this great guy who works for 2K and his name is Doug and he’s like a pro-level Street Fighter. He’s a straight-up gamer, he not only beat it on Impossible but he beat the alien base on Impossible Ironman, which if somebody had told me that I would’ve said that that’s not even possible. He actually ended up losing the game, so he beat it on Impossible then he tried to beat Iron Man Impossible and he actually got past the alien base but then after that he ran into a map where he lost everybody and he was like, “Well that’s it, I’ve lost.” On Impossible if you don’t have veterans you’re just going to get slaughtered. So Impossible we know it can be done because we have two victories but I make no claim to your sanity by the time you beat the game on that mode"
    [link url=http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/10/06/xcom-s-classic-ironman-mode-is-an-even-match-for-its-creator.aspx?PostPageIndex=2]Interview
    [/link]

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• basmans_grob 17 Feb 2013 22:29:32 264 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's a really good interview. I like the way they describe the changes they did from normal to classic,eg the one point up on thin men to prevent nade spam. It makes sense.
  • hypoBla5t 26 Feb 2013 20:14:56 1,365 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Castillo noooooooooooo!!

Why did you have to die? You were our leader!! My only Heavy and only Psionic soldier!! Whyyyyyyyy?

*Cries*

He was a great soldier. So close to our final victory he was taken away.

Gutted.

R.I.P., friend.

/taking it too seriously
  • DodgyPast 27 Feb 2013 02:31:51 8,419 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just started getting into it over the last couple of days on a normal play through.

Went far too long not noticing the huge chunk of text about increasing your squad size which did mean some fights were pretty tricky... Did mean a fair bit of saving and reloading... Though that's also meant no one has died yet.

As it's my first play through I've min maxed a fair bit towards research... And used it to cherry pick technologies that benefit damage and tank.

Probably 3 encounters after the battleship and using carapace armour and Plasma rifles... Now going for the Plasma Heavy then Plasma sniper. ( captured a muton on the train)

Would be interested to know if that's ahead of or behind what's needed.

Next thing to do is try to capture one of those energy beings instead of murdering them with over watch.

Edited by DodgyPast at 02:33:35 27-02-2013
  • Mola_Ram 27 Feb 2013 03:04:13 6,999 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyone played this on 360? My laptop will probably run it, but I might go console if the interface isn't too compromised.
  • Spectral 27 Feb 2013 03:07:26 4,970 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Mola_Ram The interface on consoles is fine. I have the PC version and I still use a 360 controller for xcom. It feels like the control mrthod the game was designed around and it works really well.

Edit: Just for clarification I haven't played on console but the PC version has native support for the 360 controller which makes it play the same as the console version.

Edited by Spectral at 03:08:43 27-02-2013
  • DodgyPast 27 Feb 2013 04:14:58 8,419 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bah... And a little bit WTF.

New UFO just appeared which I can't kill... Now the game's jammed and I can't ignore it... Any help?
  • Spectral 27 Feb 2013 04:26:06 4,970 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DodgyPast when you go to the globe thing, there should be 2 options if there is a UFO there. it will default to the ufo but under it should be the normal scan option.
  • DodgyPast 27 Feb 2013 06:16:36 8,419 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spectral wrote:
    @DodgyPast when you go to the globe thing, there should be 2 options if there is a UFO there. it will default to the ufo but under it should be the normal scan option.
    Cheers
  • Telepathic.Geometry 27 Feb 2013 07:29:18 11,278 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @jabberwoky Heh, really funny read man. In my case, I had two female snipers, Yamasaki and an Irish chick called Kennedy. In the beginning, Yamasaki was awesome and was laying waste to everyone, and I regularly bad-mouthed Kennedy for being only passable. My GF (Japanese by the way) gave me shit because I wasn't giving Kennedy any respect, and sure enough, every time I was in a fix, Kennedy pulled my fat out of the fire.

Kennedy took a fair few hits too, so I was really surprised when super high will Yamasaki failed the initiation and sure as shit, Kennedy turns out to be a psychic.

What I love about this game the most is that that story I just told is probably boring as fuck for everyone, but for me it was really something. Every time I'd be like "Ah for fuck's sake Kennedy, ya can't shoot for shit!" and the GF would be rooting for Kennedy all the time for some reason, and then every now and again Kennedy would become this unstoppable force, and ultimately go on to save the world.

I suppose this is how people who love spectator sports must feel... ^-^

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• LeoliansBro 27 Feb 2013 07:56:46 43,284 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh, if this was Hollywood TG, Yamasaki is going to sacrifice herself saving Kennedy from certain death, and Kennedy is going to go full revenge mental!

Anyone else noticed the Luke Skywalker impression (I think voice five)? Can't remember off the top of my head but there's a unique phrase which is surely a nod to SW.

And of course my favourite of all, the guy who stuns an alien and bellows '1.21 JIGGAWATTS!' :)

• jabberwoky 27 Feb 2013 10:41:13 470 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Telepathic.Geometry

Yes, its a different story for everyone who plays this game, no two games will ever play out the same, and whether its a memorable one off event in one battle, or an emerging theme in the whole campaign like in your story, every game is unique and unpredictable.

Its a great game.
  • Ultrasoundwave 27 Feb 2013 10:48:39 3,270 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Had to backburner this when ALL THE GAMES were released at the end of the last year, then the start of this year (Dead Space 3, Crysis 3) has set me back on it even further.

Really hope i can just jump straight back into playing it :|

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• hypoBla5t 27 Feb 2013 12:43:31 1,365 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I would put in any amount of effort to be able to play this game. It is joyous. Having trouble finding anything wrong with it tbh.
  • robc84 27 Feb 2013 13:31:42 5,343 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Considering starting a CI game tonight..

If I mess about with the second wave stuff does that affect trophies?
  • Dodgymat 3 Mar 2013 05:16:43 906 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone ever experienced a terror mission with just Chryssalids? Currently on Game 6 playing CI and I'd never seen the map before (which considering I've completed 5 whole games is pretty remarkable in itself) All it had was burnt out cars and a couple of Bus Shelters, was really narrow and claustrophobic compared to 99% of the other maps.

First 3 appeared, I used a rocket and picked off the remains. No probs. Next turn before I'd moved anyone 6 more scurry into view but thankfully they arranged into a group of 4 for rocket #2 and the other 2 bolted. Next turn 6 more showed up making 15 in total !

By this time I'm expecting to at least lose one or two of my squad, especially when the 2 that bolted started to breed Zombies out of my sight and range. How I got away with no losses or even taking any damage was a miracle considering I only have Laser weapons. That was by far the most intense (and tense) mission I've experienced not only in this game, but possibly in any game ever...

Glad it didn't happen on my last playthrough on Impossible, I may have actually wet myself :/
  • Spectral 3 Mar 2013 05:21:58 4,970 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone with the PC version up for MP sometime? Turns out my friends dont like good games. It'll be any easy win for if nothing else.
  • fletch7100 3 Mar 2013 05:59:12 6,994 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dodgymat

Had one game like that. Was the funniest match in the game. Everything just went my way tactics wise. Moved everyone slowly, had plenty of cover, always on overwatch. Every single Chryssalids were getting wiped out as soon as they moved towards my squad. Was one of those great payback style missions. Alien pops its head up and every single overwatch shot hits them. Assault guys were going crazy with their adjacent bonus shot and run n gun option. Mission went from being oh shit to a mission of joy. Well for the humans of course:)

My team was led by Col Jack " Big Papa" O'Neil
  • Khanivor 3 Mar 2013 06:49:28 40,403 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So has this game seen all the DLC it will see or will Firaxis pull a Civ and bung out something every couple of years?

It sure doesn't seem XCOM is getting the long-term fondling that makes other Firaxis games worth checking out again from time to time?
  • AaronTurner 3 Mar 2013 07:33:03 7,598 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They said they are changing their dlc tactics after everyone slated that mission thing. I'd like at least a map pack to freshen the environments.
  • Page

of 126 First / Last