XCOM: Enemy Unknown Page 101

• Page

of 134 First / Last

• Bremenacht 25 Jan 2013 16:18:42 21,766 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Oh, and anybody got the 'complete a mission with a single soldier' achievement? That was BADASS.
    Allllllmost got it with a mind-controlling heavy, killing an Ethereal, Heavy Mutons etc along the way, only for some scabby, lowly muton to snipe me three times in a row and finish him. Bah. It was good fun for a bit - mind-control->havoc->run-away->sneak-back->mind-control->etc.

I finished the CI game straight after and started Impossible, so I doubt I'll be getting that achievement for some time, if ever.
  • Salaman 29 Jan 2013 09:11:10 20,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, finally had a chance to play on over the weekend. I think it'd been more than 2 weeks.
    I think I stalled my game for too long (not progressing the story missions for fear of getting out of my depth).
    At the end of the month, I had an A grade from the council. I lost 3 countries but all the rest are on the lowest terror level.
    I collected over 1000 in cash but then realised I didn't have to pick and choose what to spend it on.
    All the foundry projects are done. All the officer academy stuff is done.
    I ended up buying some new Interceptors (firestorms are they?) to make sure I now have one of them on each continent. Bought 2 more fusion lances so they're all equiped with one of them.
    Then started buying extra armour and weapons so I can deck out each soldier rather than having to swap gear around between soldier before I start a mission.

I've got a sneaky suspicion that it might now become a bit boring as the threat of failure and the challenge that came with it is gone.

I also played 2 missions with the new ghost armour and couldn't quite figure out how to use it properly. I cloacked my player but then at the end of the next round they seemed to de-cloack.

I also decided to give "breaching a crashed UFO from the roof" since I had 3 guys with grappling hooks. Couldn't find a way in up there.
    :-/
  • wobbly_Bob 29 Jan 2013 10:16:39 2,177 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Hmm, finally had a chance to play on over the weekend. I think it'd been more than 2 weeks.
    I think I stalled my game for too long (not progressing the story missions for fear of getting out of my depth).
    At the end of the month, I had an A grade from the council. I lost 3 countries but all the rest are on the lowest terror level.
    I collected over 1000 in cash but then realised I didn't have to pick and choose what to spend it on.
    All the foundry projects are done. All the officer academy stuff is done.
    I ended up buying some new Interceptors (firestorms are they?) to make sure I now have one of them on each continent. Bought 2 more fusion lances so they're all equiped with one of them.
    Then started buying extra armour and weapons so I can deck out each soldier rather than having to swap gear around between soldier before I start a mission.

I've got a sneaky suspicion that it might now become a bit boring as the threat of failure and the challenge that came with it is gone.

I also played 2 missions with the new ghost armour and couldn't quite figure out how to use it properly. I cloacked my player but then at the end of the next round they seemed to de-cloack.

I also decided to give "breaching a crashed UFO from the roof" since I had 3 guys with grappling hooks. Couldn't find a way in up there.
    :-/
    That's cool sounds like you are doing really well! I'm scrambling for money all the time and missions are always scary though I haven't had a team wipe yet.
  • wobbly_Bob 29 Jan 2013 10:23:10 2,177 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have a few questions for you kind, gents.

They say you can pick up weapons in the field but I never seem to... Is it automatically done or do I need to somehow physically?

I captured the psychic alien and now after researching I have the option to build a psychic research lab, and is it worth it?
  • Salaman 29 Jan 2013 10:52:51 20,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Salaman wrote:
    That's cool sounds like you are doing really well! I'm scrambling for money all the time and missions are always scary though I haven't had a team wipe yet.
    Well my first 60 hours or so where like yours. Just now though I seem to have reached a tipping point and I suspect the rest will be a bit disappointing now as I will feel overpowered.

Time to tackle the story missions or restart I guess.
    (not on ironman LB, it sounded too scary).
  • Salaman 29 Jan 2013 11:06:18 20,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not sure. I found this skeleton key thing and assaulted the alien base, now I have three objectives but I've completely forgotten what they are. I need to get something and then build two things. I got whatever I needed to get but I haven't built whatever it is I need to build. I'm sorry, it's probably not possible to be more vague than that. :-) Does that sound familiar at all?

Edited by Salaman at 11:06:46 29-01-2013
  • Salaman 29 Jan 2013 11:28:46 20,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah that sounds about right. I need to get that built next.
  • Leolian 29 Jan 2013 12:50:09 1,129 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They released any new content for this yet? Apart from the mission over china one. I would cry blood for a multiplayer expansion. It has sooo much potential.
  • basmans_grob 29 Jan 2013 22:15:29 840 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FOUR heavies, one support! I've had to keep my A-team on hold for three missions (landed UFO, bomb and a normal) for the base assault. So I use the chance to blood rookies - they all do really well and in three mission I suffer one wound. I get 2 heavies, 2 assaults and 2 snipers. That didn't help in rounding out my team. Huff.
  • Bremenacht 29 Jan 2013 22:40:38 21,766 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Weapons are recovered after the battle but only from aliens you stunned (otherwise they shatter and you get weapon fragments instead). Useful way of kitting out your soldiers on the cheap, balanced of course against the risk you're running by trying to get close with the Arc Thrower.
    Mind Control will also bag you free weapons, but if you're far enough into the game to use it, you're probably not short of decent weapons anyway.
  • Salaman 30 Jan 2013 08:45:00 20,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bah. Tested 9 Colonels 1 major (with 81 will though) and only 1 has "the gift". :-(
    It was the major as well.

Can I run my grunt through psi training or am I better off letting them rank up first?

I've now built a hyperthingy but in the time it took to excavate and build, I had 3 regular "missions". I don't want missions. I want to get this thing ready to use!
  • WinterSnowblind 30 Jan 2013 09:44:05 1,255 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm generally not into turn based tactical games, so I'm really amazed by just how much I loved this game. I admit to save cheesing my way through it, but I do plan on going back to it on Iron Man sooner or later.

I went back to play the original games, which I've owned on Steam for quite a while too, and I'm pretty surprised by just how similar they are. It makes the trailer they showed for the first person shooter XCOM seem all the more out of place now too. Are they really going to release a game with the same name that takes place in a totally different version of the universe and doesn't seem to have the slightest connection to this one?

I really hope the sequel/expansion to Enemy Unknown ends up being a reimagining of Terror From the Deep though. Seems like the perfect place to go next.
  • Bremenacht 30 Jan 2013 10:04:49 21,766 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Does indeed, worth noting though that if you MC an alien and it dies your soldiers take a morale hit. So handle with care :)
    Ohhhh I didn't know that. I wonder if that's why my solo heavy got shot so easily in the end.
  • Bremenacht 30 Jan 2013 10:08:58 21,766 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Salaman If you've got the cash, hire loads and batch them through. I completed the game on CI with a squad of Psi-Colonels. It was OTT really, and took a lot of time.
  • Salaman 30 Jan 2013 10:22:08 20,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah OK. So hire new soldier, put through psi testing and then use them in the field to rank them up? Gotcha.
  • opalw00t 30 Jan 2013 10:51:59 11,707 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TFTD never really clicked with me - it didn't bring enough new stuff to the table. I prefered playing the original again, instead.

I even completed Interceptor, ffs
  • Mr_Sleep 30 Jan 2013 11:06:08 18,293 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    I even completed Interceptor, ffs
    Hah, so did I! I actually quite enjoyed Interceptor, I think. TFtD is the only one I didn't get on with too. I loved Apocalypse.
  • basmans_grob 31 Jan 2013 11:40:50 840 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ghost armour usage:

How exactly do you get the best out of it on ironman?

Most of the advice Iíve seen suggests using it to trigger groups of aliens from behind so that they move into your squad. How do you do than in ironman without always having the scout ghosted Ė or is that exactly what you do?

The things Iíve thought about using it for (and Iíve read the post above) is to trigger a group then ghost while getting into flanking position for the next turn

For set pieces, eg the command room in UFO get everybody with ghost armour to ghost, enter the command room Ė overwatch them then trigger the group with a non-ghost armoured person????
  • Page

of 134 First / Last