XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 100

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• TOOTR 20 Jan 2013 14:47:13 9,644 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :redface:
    Elathron wrote:
    @TOOTR - Err. Use Psi Panic on the offending alien. A mind fray first will help it succeed. If your first trooper in has a mind shield and psi armour + sufficiently high will (90+ as a rule...); that will also help prevent any psi attacks. I use an assault guy with the above, plus all the defensive perks and he only evet gets controlled 25% of the time.
    hmmm..... I haven't come across Psi Panic yet :redface:

Mayhaps it's time for me to crack on with the story missions and stop being so cautious...

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• TOOTR 20 Jan 2013 16:57:23 9,644 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh no - my mistake - the psi lab is there in my Build facilities options.

Wonder when that popped up?

No matter.

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• jabberwoky 21 Jan 2013 13:20:14 527 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got pretty pissed last night. Trying to capture my first alien and after a lot of pussyfooting around I had a surefire attempt at it. Then one of my guys shoots it in panic. Back to the drawing board. But I now have a volunteer for all the dangerous stuff.....

Edited by jabberwoky at 13:21:41 21-01-2013
  • Bremenacht 21 Jan 2013 14:28:02 19,443 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've spent about four hours trying to do one mission on Impossible - the bomb in the train station. It took me over two hours to realise I could save in-mission. /o\

Even using save-points, it's still hard. Much like playing the original really. You get to a point where you find all options lead to multiple deaths, so you abandon 3 or 4 savepoints, go back to a much earlier save, and try a different tactic.

Stuff that didn't matter so much on Classic or Normal seems to matter so much here. Every scrap of bonus aim% matters.
  • wobbly_Bob 21 Jan 2013 20:20:03 1,898 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just wanted to say I'm playing this at the moment and loving it.  I have it on normal difficulty iornman. Is it wrong I spend so long staring at the screen thinking up names for my troops and giggling to myself? Magor bumblasquat andting says no!
  • basmans_grob 22 Jan 2013 09:36:05 383 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TOOTR after the sectoid commander autopsy?
  • M83J01P97 22 Jan 2013 13:34:43 6,701 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, I give in. Could someone give me a few tips for this? Absolutely love the game, but I just keep loosing my 'best' soldiers over and over again and find myself forced to do difficult missions with a team of complete rookies.

Thinking of starting a new game so some pointers on how to find this less of a struggle would be much appreciated!
  • Kilters 22 Jan 2013 14:06:11 579 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @M83J01P97 I'm by no means an expert player but using oversight with your snipers on high ground is a good way to support your troops advancing.
    Never leave a troop out of cover as the aliens seem to single these out. Only use half your movement spaces at a time as if you dash into trouble you can't retreat.
    A heavy with rocket launcher or a grenade is good for pockets of enemies.

Research some heavy armour and lasers early on as these are much better than the standard kit.

Remember to save at start of each mission.
  • Bremenacht 22 Jan 2013 23:10:21 19,443 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Protect your snipers.
    Use full cover wherever you find it.
    Use grenades & rockets whenever the opportunity presents itself i.e. don't hoarde.
    Try backing out of encounters if your force isn't superior.
    (Backing out of LoS will give you a lot of overwatch kills as Aliens move up)
    If the aliens get the jump on you, use smoke and back off.
    Hunker down.
    Go with 2 support so that they can revive eachother if one goes down.
    If you don't want 2 support, keep your 1 out of immediate danger.

Best tip of all: Look back through this thread where there are some blindingly good tips.

The game is a bit like Dark Souls really. If you rush in and hope for the best, it'll often go wrong. Have a care and you'll be more successful. The games goes a bit 'cheaty' at times too, as if it wasn't already hard enough. Think of each mission as a careful grind.
  • Salaman 22 Jan 2013 23:45:57 19,493 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thsi may not work on all difficulty settings but yeah once you get boots on the ground, hit quicksave. (F10 on pc)
  • M83J01P97 23 Jan 2013 10:43:25 6,701 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers for the tips. Yeah it does sometimes feel like the enemy have their own set of rules when it comes to percentage.

The Dark Souls reference is spot on, I'm not disliking the game at all, I just find it frustrating and kind of feel like I've been playing it wrong.

Am I right in saying that you will almost certainly loose a few countries funding in a normal play through?
  • PenguinJim 23 Jan 2013 10:56:40 5,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Cheers for the tips. Yeah it does sometimes feel like the enemy have their own set of rules when it comes to percentage.
    Sometimes it's like they're not even human. :o
  • Salaman 23 Jan 2013 10:59:32 19,493 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm still on my second game. First try I gave up when I lost my 4rd and 5th country. This time I lost 3 and that involves a re-load of an earlier game to assure I had an extra satellite to avoid losing a 4th.
    So I'd be inclined to say "yes" but my play troughs may not be very representative.
  • LeoliansBro 23 Jan 2013 11:14:29 44,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Certainly on Classic difficulty the first major hump is the first Council Mission. Wipe and you're going to have to restart. Refuse it and you're locked into strategic fire fighting to stop losing countries, and may not be able to go for engineers on Abduction missions. Play and abort can be worth it if you get a promotion or two before you leave. Win it and you get a pocket of breathing space.

I also think that you need to choose right from the beginning whether to focus on weapons or armour. If you try for both you're constantly behind the curve and every battle is too close for comfort. It comes down to personal preference which you choose, but also which classes you have. Sniper and heavy like weapons, assault and support like armour. Personally I beeline laser weapons and go for the Sergeant Zim approach of killing them before they kill you. Whichever you choose, by the crunch point of the alien base (or latest the overseer) you should have enough scientists and alien autopsy bonuses to catch up on the unexplored research paths quite quickly.

One more reason for choosing weapons - you can never recover alien armour, which makes it more expensive. Plus the light plasma rifle with a SCOPE helps you carve out a creamy little early-middle game pocket where you float like a butterfly and sting like a venomous rhinocerous. Course, your unarmoured rookies with arc throwers might have a different opinions, but they're just grunts, they can't possibly make this kind of decision. No offence ;)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Mr_Sleep 23 Jan 2013 11:18:01 17,295 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Am I right in saying that you will almost certainly loose a few countries funding in a normal play through?
    It is perfectly possible to keep all countries, I came damn close on my classic playthrough. Focus a massive amount of effort on satellites, bear in mind that you can still construct satellites even if you haven't got an uplink for them yet.

You are a factory of sadness.

• LeoliansBro 23 Jan 2013 11:21:41 44,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is possible as Mr Sleep says. Whether it's ultimately desirable is less clear.

I've never managed it though, or anything like.

• Mr_Sleep 23 Jan 2013 11:24:57 17,295 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    True, it may not be that desirable in some ways because by the time you have reached the point where you can put satellites in every country you're pretty much at the end game anyway. So, it's borderline. Still, it's very important to try and keep as many countries as possible for the midgame, imo.

You are a factory of sadness.

• M83J01P97 23 Jan 2013 11:25:57 6,701 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok cheers, just as long as I'm not immediately dooming myself by loosing a country or two.

I've been mixing armour and weapons research together as I thought a balance between the two might make my team stronger, but your saying focusing on one or the other is more preferable?

Hmm, maybe another new game is on the cards...
  • wobbly_Bob 23 Jan 2013 13:09:49 1,898 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's what I have been doing so maybe I will just focus on armour for the future. I have 4 countries starting to panic. Before reading this i thought it was going well but now I'm not so sure lol just downed a huge ufo.
  • LeoliansBro 23 Jan 2013 13:15:28 44,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As with everything, your mileage may very (and don't forget the diminishing returns of trying to get too far up a tech tree too early).

That said, get to laser rifles before your first muton and it's all cream cheese IMO :)

• jabberwoky 24 Jan 2013 19:17:53 527 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well I got to the alien base bit at last. Halfway through it and all my guys were on high ground in perfect positions, in a rough pretty small circle.

And then a sectopod spawned right in the middle of that circle. It then urinated over my 3 colonels, twice. It then laughed. Actually I might have imagined that last bit.

I mean, how many patches have we had?

Still think its the most addictive game I have ever played.

Edited by jabberwoky at 19:21:29 24-01-2013
  • LeoliansBro 24 Jan 2013 20:58:22 44,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How did you not kill it immediately?

• LeoliansBro 24 Jan 2013 20:58:22 44,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How did you not kill it immediately?

• wobbly_Bob 24 Jan 2013 22:58:32 1,898 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was doing so well with the missions till this tragic one in Mumbi, India. It started off so routine so normal. But... It all went so wrong. I, I, can still here their screaming... Sure, I lost a good trooper here or there but not like this! 3 dead! 3 damn fine soldiers who won't be going home!

/takes off cap

Captain Ivor Biggen
    Private Super Mario
    Private Betty Boo.

RIP
  • millerlfc 25 Jan 2013 00:35:30 382 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    I was doing so well with the missions till this tragic one in Mumbi, India. It started off so routine so normal. But... It all went so wrong. I, I, can still here their screaming... Sure, I lost a good trooper here or there but not like this! 3 dead! 3 damn fine soldiers who won't be going home!

/takes off cap

Captain Ivor Biggen
    Private Super Mario
    Private Betty Boo.

RIP
    RIP Super Mario.

But if that's the worse result you've had then you're doing quite well. You can't imagine the abject shame of having to run and abandon mission, or even worse having your lone survivor gunned down JUST as he's about to get back to the skyranger.
  • PenguinJim 25 Jan 2013 01:04:42 5,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I haven't had a complete wipe in a long time, but I did defuse a bomb with only a heavy and a sniper left. The heavy took a thin man out with him when their reinforcements showed up, and the sniper was just hiding in a corner, Overwatch, Overwatch, Overwatch, hoping two wouldn't come in range at once, Overwatch, Overwatch, Overwatch, knowing a miss might be the end, Overwatch, Overwatch, RELOAD FUCK PHEW, Overwatch, Overwatch, Overwatch, "victory"!
  • wobbly_Bob 25 Jan 2013 10:17:49 1,898 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think thats what makes the game great is the high drama! Like that missing my heavy Magor Bumblasquat was standing in the open amid flames after being grenaded. A muton standing before him. Shot.... Miss. Shot... Hit! But still alive! My assault moon head npea uses run and gun to go toe to toe in a desperate gamble... Shot... Hit. Dead. 3 go home.

Also during that battle had to run the medic in through open ground to revive a fallen comrade while under fire. Good stuff :-)
  • jabberwoky 25 Jan 2013 11:33:25 527 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

"How did you not kill it immediately? "

I had 3 or 4 overwatch hits on it when it spawned, which damaged it. Then it let loose on its turn. Then I finished it off. TBH it wasn't the end of the world. (although ever since colonel heike wollfe has developed a nervous tick)

Edited by jabberwoky at 11:38:42 25-01-2013
  • LeoliansBro 25 Jan 2013 11:34:55 44,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ow, that sucks. I didn't think it could teleport and then fire (thought teleporting was only possible with aliens you've yet to find).

Live and learn.

• LeoliansBro 25 Jan 2013 11:35:50 44,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and anybody got the 'complete a mission with a single soldier' achievement? That was BADASS.

• Page

of 130 First / Last