XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 98

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• basmans_grob 14 Jan 2013 17:04:36 333 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Donít forget with Skelton suits you also get a +10 defence and extra movement.

The grapping hook thing is great but I never take it on just one guy. I normally have it on the entire squad or nobody.
    I lost a few snipers trying to get onto roofs that didnít have cover. The worse one is trucks. Standing on the top of them isnít a great ideaÖÖ..

I send an assault up first to scout roofs out. I then treat the roof largely as I do anything else, one person moving ahead with the sniper plus one on the roof on overwatch.

You can also line everybody on the roof Ė move around the different sides of the building and flush out a fair number of aliens that way. Once you have cleared the outside you can go and back fill buildings. If you have everybody one move from the side at the start of the turn you can trigger nasties and then decide to retreat or not quickly. The rest of the guys move up to the wall and normally you then out gun them as you have the entire squad in the same spot, with the targeting bonus. As alien will use their free move to get to the nearest cover which if you are on the building can often be nice explosable cars

Iíve also used grappling hooks as escape route. For example I woke up three sets of mutons at once and got a little bit hurt. Before they could actually kill me I got everybody up on a roof, regrouped and blind threw all my explosives off the roof.

Roof can often be short cuts as well. Once on a roof you have decent visibility to the rest of the roof so can dash from one side to the other, unlike cover to cover small movements on the ground.

When I was facing mutons when all I had was the basic guns (ok it wasnít with skeleton but used buildings well) I set all but one person on a roof and then had the poor bugger triggering mutons and leading them into my firing squad. You can do this with normal cover but in a built up evenriovment it was a lot easier to make sure there was cover and a firing spot for everybody from the top of the roof.

Two level squad deployments can work wonders as each member gets different line of sight so overwatch shots arenít wasted because the aliens can trigger overwatch one at a time. It doesnít work all the time and if somebody comes down the middle they will all shoot anyway but it is better than nothing.

Of course all these things can be done with normal roofs but the suits make them more likely.
  • LeoliansBro 14 Jan 2013 17:30:57 44,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ghost armour gives you +20 defence.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• basmans_grob 14 Jan 2013 20:57:11 333 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I just lost two failing to get into a UFO.

What is your stragery for going in though the roof? Get the people on the roof and thrown a grenade on the roof then jumping through?
  • LeoliansBro 14 Jan 2013 21:37:05 44,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Depends on the ufo, and how you want to take it apart. If you need the loot then it's precision and front door only. If you don't then a flying heavy dropping a rocket on the roof of the bridge is always good for a chuckle.

Bear in mind most UFOs are defended in a certain way. If you're coming at the supply ship from the cargo bay doors, you're doing it by the book. If you've got a sniper there though, and a bunch of chaps coming in from the side, well then your muton, he's got nowhere to go.

• Bremenacht 15 Jan 2013 00:07:25 18,761 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Started playing again in order to finish the CI off. Thought I'd do a few more missions to get all my Psi Guys up to Colonel, and the game goes and lifts it's skirt a little: new missions. One that involves securing some cargo and another that involves securing a lorry of stuff. Did these come with the recent update? I've not bought DLC.

What they really are is 'kill all the aliens' missions on existing maps, but the joy for me was the lorry mission was against sectoids, whom I have not seen for ages. Nicer still, 'cos then I was able to catch one and get a research achievement. \o/ Talking of which - some new achievements have appeared. Update again? I've no idea what they refer to. DLC?
  • Bremenacht 15 Jan 2013 00:29:39 18,761 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah. DLC. Ho hum.

To make up for any unintended excitement, here's a link to a recent RPS interview with the Jake guy from Firaxis.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/14/firaxis-jake-solomon-post-mortems-xcom-part-one/

I'm pretty sure no-one would get excited by the words 'base' and 'assault', so don't get excited. I'm just being helpful.
  • TOOTR 15 Jan 2013 14:25:18 9,603 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Having picked this up again for the first time since release can you all make me feel better please?

It IS ok to go back to an earlier save if you lose some of most treasured soldiers?

Isn't it?

Like a lot. Like ...all the time? :p

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• basmans_grob 15 Jan 2013 16:22:34 333 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Of course it is, it is your game!
  • L_Franko Moderator 15 Jan 2013 16:30:06 9,694 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No it really isn't. Mourning the loss of a war hero is all part of the game in my book. Learn from the deaths so you can try to avoid it with other up and coming heroes.
  • LeoliansBro 15 Jan 2013 16:31:07 44,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Said it 100 times, Ironman is a different game.

Your victory will be sweeter, TOOTR.

• LeoliansBro 15 Jan 2013 16:37:38 44,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eh?

It overwrites your saves for you - so mistakes are permanent.

• LeoliansBro 15 Jan 2013 16:40:50 44,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah - you got this gray? Didn't know if it would be your cup of tea.

• LeoliansBro 15 Jan 2013 16:48:15 44,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good lad.

• basmans_grob 15 Jan 2013 22:55:21 333 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think that you need to learn a fair chunk about the game before ironmanning. Since going ironman I've been really scared to try out different tatics rather than refining the one I already use. For example I really cautious with my assaults, other people use them as Rambo, I think both have merits but in an ironman when everything matter so much more I can't really play around with different approaches.
  • TOOTR 16 Jan 2013 04:29:18 9,603 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah. I think I need a play through visit first and at least learn the games language a little before moving there permenantly and burning my passport.

But noted - it's time to let Colonel Chesney Hawkes and Marty Pellow die. So I can mourn them.

So Floella Benjamin and Rod Hull can rise and they didn't die in vain.

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• Telepathic.Geometry 16 Jan 2013 06:57:55 11,404 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember when Shigeru "Mario" Miyamoto bought it. A lot of people don't know this but Shiggy was a hero, laying down his life so that his team-mates could make it home to their families, and to give alien scum the finger...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Bremenacht 16 Jan 2013 09:22:31 18,761 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    I remember when Shigeru "Mario" Miyamoto bought it.
    I saw this, and thought "Miyomoto plays XCOM??!!!".

How disappointed I am now.
  • basmans_grob 16 Jan 2013 09:38:24 333 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I do agree that the game matters more with ironman - which is why I play with it.

The worse one is when there is a long loved Colonel critically injured on the floor and the mission is going tits up. If I abandon he will be left at the mercy of the aliens but carrying on risks everybody and a Code Black.
  • LeoliansBro 16 Jan 2013 09:39:36 44,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I lost 'Homefront', my sniper colonel that way (like I said, dicking around with skeleton suits will get you killed). My heavy, 'Glasvegas' was never the same.

• basmans_grob 16 Jan 2013 09:47:29 333 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Since turning on second wave all my soldiers are now named 45/70 (or similar) so I can figure out who to start promoting. The game has a slightly different feel to it when you are sending in the Borg to battle......
  • Scimarad 16 Jan 2013 10:01:08 8,567 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd be more inclined to try a proper Ironman game if I hadn't heard so many issues with people dying because of bugs. You can have the same experience by forcing yourself to stick to one save with the added advantage that if the game does screw up, you can load a save before it happened.

Classic scares the crap out of me, however!
  • PenguinJim 16 Jan 2013 10:12:57 5,910 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I've got half a dozen "Wounded" with no days listed next to them - mostly very-high rank. Sometimes I click to throw a grenade and the aim area jumps. The teleporting-aliens thing hasn't actually bothered me yet, as I just wipe them out. :p

But I shan't be trying Ironman nor buying the DLC until they've fixed some of the more obvious bugs. Despite the fun and moreishness, it feels like a fucking Ubisoft game at the moment. :p
  • basmans_grob 16 Jan 2013 10:14:41 333 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I haven't had any really problems with the very few bugs that appear.

Don't forget people only take to the forums when things go wrong. Once in 23+ games I had a teleport thing but because my squad was in over watch it worked out worse for them than me....
  • LeoliansBro 16 Jan 2013 10:16:38 44,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ironman actually bypasses a lot of the bugs. The teleporting bug, for instance, seems to occur almost always in reloaded / restarted missions, where the alien invisible patrol movement and the fog of war / soldier position seem to reload out of sync. The only other significant one is the shiv bug, which is sadly still in place.

One thing to remember when playing Ironman. The game is fair. If you're told you have a 70% chance of hitting something, you will hit it 70% of the time. It will seem unfair because when playing on easy or normal there's a hidden aim bonus, and the aliens (with their hidden accuracy) have got more accurate, and the computer doesn't make mistakes (the AI deliberately does occasion 'dumb' moves and forgets to throw grenades, use psychic powers etc on easy levels). But the AI can't see your soldiers if his troops can't, he has to move his aliens as you do with your soldiers, and his 70% shots will only hit 70% of the time too. Sure there are more of them, the Snakemen are frighteningly accurate and on Impossible even Sectoids don't die easy, but none of this is hidden to you and none of it is cheating.

When you start railing against the game for being unfair, that's your own self-belief undercutting you. The game did nothing wrong, you did.

• Scimarad 16 Jan 2013 10:17:42 8,567 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I've had very few problems with it. I'd still rather play it safe, though. Always play it safe with XCOM:)
  • LeoliansBro 16 Jan 2013 10:26:37 44,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Again, I'm repeating myself, but Ironman makes your soldiers ... do things.

I've had an assault trooper nail a Snakeman TO THE WALL but leave herself exposed to a new bunch of Sectoids. Strung out, unprotected, going down. The heavy's rocket could only take down two and the third was set up to flank and shoot her to pieces.

Then, against my direct orders (and with me left helplessly staring at the screen swearing he'd never go out on a mission again), my support squaddie, barely more than a rookie, burst from cover screaming some garbled battlecry and emptying his rifle at the last Sectoid. Shouldn't have even come close. Should have got himself killed. But he made the shot, saved the girl, and got himself promoted into the bargain.

Stick that in your 'I'll reload if it goes wrong' pipe and smoke it.

(Note, this may have happened to a certain extent in my head. Doesn't make it any less real. I tell you, you play it safe in XCOM, doubly so in Ironman. But sometimes in Ironman, your men have to go and be the goddamn hero)

• PenguinJim 16 Jan 2013 10:30:01 5,910 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    basmans_grob wrote:
    I haven't had any really problems with the very few bugs that appear.

Don't forget people only take to the forums when things go wrong. Once in 23+ games I had a teleport thing but because my squad was in over watch it worked out worse for them than me....
    This is my second playthrough and my second (third?) post about it. My first playthrough (Classic) didn't seem to have the permanently-wounded bugs and the game was a much better experience for it, as my dozens of positive posts here at the time attested.

In fact, I've had a couple of other strange quirks this playthrough, too - a berserker just did nothing on his turn (except breathe), and none of the controls responded, so 15 minutes later I had to force the app to close. Escape key seems to sometimes stop working at the base, as well.

I'm still having fun, but I'm worried that my sole psychic will suffer permawound and it'll fuck up my playthrough royally (I'm taking GOOD care of her). Trying to imagine a subplot where the aliens are secretly stealing my wounded soldiers from the hospital just isn't cutting it any more, sadly.

I'm usually very lucky with bugs in games, but I also don't post completely useless "I haven't had any bugs, so it's clearly a minor issue" bullshit. The number of bugs reported in this thread is far higher than most other games threads on EG (you can find more games threads here to compare, basmans_grob), and pretending that they don't exist and that they don't affect game experiences is hardly constructive. I was actually hoping that someone here might know of a fix, as Googling didn't help - it just threw up plenty of people with the same problem. :|
  • Page

of 130 First / Last