XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 97

• Page

of 129 First / Last

• basmans_grob 10 Jan 2013 22:32:13 277 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    At low levels I'm not sure that medkits are worth it. I've used them at that level and I often found that rookies normally just die when hit anyway.

At higher levels I always take two medkits, support with the three in one thing and another in case the support gets knocked out.

Scope on a heavy and grenades on rest unless you are alien hunting with arc,s. in which case on ironman I take two so that a failed stun doesnt end up with a dead grunt.

The main thing in strategic mode appears to be take the plus engerrers mission first then target building a workshop. Hopefully you will have enough after the first report to build an uplink, but you also need another power generator as well for that.

I'm unsure about the order of more stats or officer training school, I think on my current through I left the school too late so didn't have enough spots in my squad to rotate grunts enough. I only had one decent support and when he got killed that really hurt (he was top rank :( ).

How do you get into a UFO from the roof and where do you try to break into?
  • Pinky_Floyd 10 Jan 2013 22:55:53 7,657 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I only have 1 support. Drowning in assault guys.  Have only 2 snipers but they are good.  Would hate to lose them.  Keep running out of cash and alloy so have unlocked better guns and armour but can't make very many of them. Panic setting in throughout the world.  Have 2 SATs in Europe and 1 in north america.  Captured 1 sectoid but nothing since as its so hard to get their health down then get close enough to stun.  I just feel like I am juggling too many balls and dropping them all over the place :)
  • Mayhem64 10 Jan 2013 23:05:09 666 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers for the thoughts... as said, I played the original PC game to death back in the day, so I am very much familiar with most of the gameplay I expect. Plus I played other Gollop games such as Laser Squad and Lords of Chaos to death as well. Opportunity fire... I mean Oversight hah hah... is something I ALWAYS keep in mind ;)

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

• FightingMongoose 11 Jan 2013 21:41:00 496 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Started a normal ironman game with four second wave modifiers on. On the second terror mission, I had a complete squad wipe, I'm now down in the dumps and devastated. It was all going so well until that point.
  • basmans_grob 11 Jan 2013 22:53:47 277 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    just had very similar. Five attempts at getting past the first two missions, the one time I did manage to I was going great guns for bloody ages. I'm now left with raw recruits, half the world in uproar and a re-start..... :(
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Jan 2013 12:40:11 16,922 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it the case that your squaddies are promoted based on how you use them before they level up? I often wondered this as there does seem to be some connection between the two.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Khanivor 12 Jan 2013 13:09:08 40,493 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yup.
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Jan 2013 13:20:50 16,922 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good knowledge to have for those people who keep complaining they have one type of character.

Playing marathon has been an interesting experience, I had a terror mission yesterday where there were 9 chrysalids and I was shooting them with the default weaponry, I still haven't managed to upgrade yet as research is so slow. I have managed to capture some alien weaponry but the research time on that is around 40 days or something. I desperately need more scientists but it isn't even giving them as options during abductions. I feel like I'm going to be shooting at sectopods with the same weapons. That can't end well!

• TarickStonefire 12 Jan 2013 13:25:23 2,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm still just *fine* playing this on Normal :)

How do you get SHIVs into the team? I've got several but haven't worked out how you add them. Do they show up as soldiers on the squad list when you're building a team before a mission?

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 12 Jan 2013 13:25:54 2,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FightingMongoose wrote:
    Started a normal ironman game with four second wave modifiers on. On the second terror mission, I had a complete squad wipe, I'm now down in the dumps and devastated. It was all going so well until that point.
    Aaaaand that's why I play on Normal :D

(as in normal Normal, not normal Stupidly Hard Mode... ;) )

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:36:02 12-01-2013

• TarickStonefire 12 Jan 2013 13:31:56 2,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How do people use the Archangel packs? I don't really see the benefit so far.

• Mr_Sleep 12 Jan 2013 13:34:26 16,922 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They are great if you have snipers with squad sight and the elevation bonus. To go into flight mode there's an icon that looks like a wing, then go up a few levels and you can move there. Each time you move it uses up fuel but just staying hovering in the air doesn't use any.

• TarickStonefire 12 Jan 2013 13:35:20 2,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I worked out how to use them, and funnily enough I put them on snipers first thinking it would be good to get them on rooftops if there's no drainpipe nearby, but doesn't hovering in the air make you a prime target?

• Mr_Sleep 12 Jan 2013 13:42:16 16,922 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It very much depends, one shouldn't put them up there straight away, only once some ground has been covered by your other troops. That's why I mention squad sight, as they're in a lofty position they can tend to see above much of the cover and so can pick the aliens off from very far away, thus not putting themselves in harms way.

I'm not sure too but I think being airborne also confers defensive bonuses, I'm sure LB will confirm that one way or another :-)

• Bremenacht 12 Jan 2013 14:11:52 17,695 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm pretty sure it does. Floaters get it.
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Jan 2013 14:27:44 16,922 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Or Bremenacht :-)

• TarickStonefire 12 Jan 2013 15:01:40 2,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That doesn't seem logical to me - nothing to hide behind, no camouflage, nothing. But it's a more defensive position than the ground behind some rocks? ;)

• millerlfc 12 Jan 2013 17:13:37 370 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Don't Floaters have a dodge/agility skill that gives them their defensive bonus? Pretty sure Archangel suits don't give the same thing.
  • Bremenacht 12 Jan 2013 17:17:54 17,695 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No no it's not like that. Cover confers the best defensive bonuses.
  • TarickStonefire 12 Jan 2013 17:19:09 2,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Google says it doesn't give any defensive bonus a all, just useful for getting you in the air or onto a rooftop. Okay cheers!

• Bremenacht 12 Jan 2013 17:27:08 17,695 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    millerlfc wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Don't Floaters have a dodge/agility skill that gives them their defensive bonus? Pretty sure Archangel suits don't give the same thing.
    Yeah, you're right.

You get a basic 20 defence for flying, and that's that.
  • basmans_grob 14 Jan 2013 10:45:32 277 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Google says it doesn't give any defensive bonus a all, just useful for getting you in the air or onto a rooftop. Okay cheers!
    I would have though that if you are mainly using it to get onto rooftops the skeleton suit would be better - extra defense and all.

The flying suit on a sniper though can provide them will total defense. If you only fly up when you are using squad sight you can set it so that the aliens just can't see the sniper to shoot at him.
  • Salaman 14 Jan 2013 11:49:31 18,953 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Hell, if it's working for you don't assume I've got the keys to unlocking this game. I really don't :)
    Oh i was just observing that I seem to get away with "careless" play because I've got it set to a very easy mode. But if I upped it, I'd probably be getting nowhere at all. Some of the tips you're giving are providing me an insight to how it's played at a more challenging level and I doubt I'd last long. =)
  • LeoliansBro 14 Jan 2013 12:00:43 43,667 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Archangel suit gets a bonus to defence for being in flight, I guess because you're moving about or in the sun or something. You also get an aiming bonus from being higher, and snipers can get a further bonus with the Damn Good Ground perk. Finally being higher up increases your field of view and so you get advance warning of what your troops on the ground are likely to run into. And it means you van be inventive about how to tackle UFOs (some have doors on the roof)

Archangel armour is the flipside of Ghost armour. Both probably the best armour in the game, and you can have it with flying or with cloaking.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• basmans_grob 14 Jan 2013 12:49:51 277 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm a huge fan of the skeleton and in my current run though I'm debating missing out on carapace, I've sold quite a lot of stuff as I was short of cash so I cant really spare the component parts for a short term armor. However I don't know if I've got the guts!
  • Salaman 14 Jan 2013 13:23:09 18,953 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    I'm still just *fine* playing this on Normal :)

How do you get SHIVs into the team? I've got several but haven't worked out how you add them. Do they show up as soldiers on the squad list when you're building a team before a mission?
    Yeah, if you remove a soldiers from your sqaud for the mission, you'll find the SHIVs at the bottom of the soldier list, just below the new recruits and above the wounded people.
  • LeoliansBro 14 Jan 2013 14:00:02 43,667 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    b_g - depends if you're going to play the perfect game or not.

The ghost/archangel armour is about never getting hit in the first place, so be sure to adapt your tactics accordingly. I'm talking smoke cover, prioritising enemies with grenades, hard cover, that sort of thing.

If you want to be a squad of rhinos who are happy to take plasma to the actual face, then feel free to strap titan plates to your team and go toe-to-toe with them. Just bear in mind that they have bigger rhinos.

• LeoliansBro 14 Jan 2013 14:02:14 43,667 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and gadgets (grapple, ghost, flight etc) will get you killed.

Don't use them because they're nifty. Don't use them at all unless there's a solid gold, cast iron, stainless steel, copper bottomed tactical reason for it. Standing on a petrol station roof 'because I can' is how your sniper colonel dies.

• Salaman 14 Jan 2013 14:06:57 18,953 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have you been watching me play? :-)

I was going to ask b_g about his love of skeletons. I bought one of them, as I thought it useful for my sniper to get into an elevated position where they have a good overview and can pick off enemies.

Each time I then grappled my sniper onto a roof/train box car/etc. they get blasted by aliens the minute I rouse them.

I soon after got the archangel armour and my snipers are staying alive now.
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Jan 2013 14:14:42 16,922 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The games' tips do try really hard to convince you that it's a good idea though.

• Page

of 129 First / Last