XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 95

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• Salaman 28 Dec 2012 10:33:19 18,839 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    After postponing the assault on the alien base for ages I finally had a go earlier this week. Wasn't half as bad as I had imagined it to be.
    I had one assault guy with an arc thrower. Got to the final room when this fairly innocent looking little alien guy comes running out. I move my arc thrower guy up as close as I can so that he's in range to zap the fucker on the next turn. Only for the little bastard to psi control my assault guy. :-(
  • IJ 28 Dec 2012 12:43:02 799 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Very little talk about the expansion pack which has been out for a while. Have many people downloaded and played it. Is it worth it? How does it fit into the game, as a separate compaign?
  • LeoliansBro 28 Dec 2012 12:48:19 43,140 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've not got it, I understand it's presented as an alternative to council missions.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Garlvinlandblueblood 28 Dec 2012 13:29:25 405 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It came up as an alternative to the first Council mission for me (only played the first).

The unique unit you get from it, Zhang, is quite cool but otherwise I don't see any major additions. First map took no time to finish too.
  • MikeP 1 Jan 2013 19:30:11 1,765 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've not really played turn-based strategy games before, so there's been quite a steep learning curve for me, but I'm absolutely loving XCOM.

Props to anyone who can complete this at the higher level of difficulties or using the Ironman settings. I make so many mistakes!
  • Sharzam 2 Jan 2013 12:51:16 2,681 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Didn't really play the original so can't really compare it to that. But one issue which becomes clearer the more you play is the map art style.

This is probably the only flaw in my mind, add some jungles, desert, snow and more variety and all will be forgiven. If this is the only flaw in can find then it is a damm fine game.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• muttler 2 Jan 2013 14:03:33 3,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've been hooked since getting it for christmas. Absolutely brilliant game, but not as good as the original, simply because that had more depth.

If I had to criticise- there aren't enough things to research, there aren't enough different weapons and armour to build and use, there aren't enough different Xcom fighters and you dont seem to be able to build any different troop carriers. 6 troops on mission isnt enough, bigger maps would be nice. Should be more alien species / types.

Also, I miss the base invasions, where you had to build SAM turrets and other base defense to defend against alien attack- it's not realistic that the aliens would not attack the Xcom base. I miss the Xcom base invasion missions as well.

I'm not moaning though tbh, great game. I will probably play through a couple of times at least.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Jan 2013 14:08:01 43,140 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    While I agree that more could be done with the strategic bit, and that there were some particular niggles (the 'all or nothing' time acceleration on the Geoscape meant you had to have the reactions of Ned Neederlender if you wanted to micromanage your UFO response), I wouldn't single out the armour or weapons. The armour in particular gave you multiple paths and philosophies (tough vs clever vs evasive vs tactical advantage) and the weapons were more varied than in the original.

I haven't started my impossible run through. I'm scared and there are many many more straighforward things to do with my time.

• Deleted user 2 January 2013 14:25:12
    I loved XCOM before I completed it. I have zero desire to go back to it now, unfortunately.
  • Deleted user 2 January 2013 14:31:25
    That is possibly due to your incompetence at the game.
  • Deleted user 2 January 2013 14:51:40
    Incompetence? I seem to remember having 4 men left to your 1.
  • Moot_Point 2 Jan 2013 18:55:32 3,910 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    I loved XCOM before I completed it. I have zero desire to go back to it now, unfortunately.
    Maybe because it is rather linear?

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• oldschoolsoviet 2 Jan 2013 22:25:14 5,457 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished my first attempt myself. Rather good, but too many niggles, annoying problems and lack of polish, not least the final battle:

Attempt 1: Locked up. First throughout playthrough......

Attempt 2: Used too many rockets/medkits on the mechs. Doomed.

Attempt 3: Locked up......again. *sigh*

Attempt 4: All three Assault soldiers mind controlled, despite mind shields and buff. Cue Alloy Cannon reaction shots killing two, and leaving me with a wounded Heavy. Who had to reload. So did I.

Attempt 5: Rift, Shredder rocket and normal rocket all stacked in after luring the Ethereals together using 'bait', and two survive. Cue an expected reload, bar a desperate final charge with my Chinese Assault, callsign-'Flash'. Only double-shots the Uber Ethereal, which kills everything else, and fin.

You can guess what shout/guitar riff came next. More strategy for console please !
  • WrongShui 2 Jan 2013 23:12:52 6,598 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    HairyArse wrote:
    Maybe because it is rather linear?
    It's not really a linear debate, it's the difference between a simulation heavy game and a rules managed game. Like the difference between say Civilisation games and Europa Universallis.

Both great in their own way, just simulation leads to a better sandbox to play in.

I loved the new Xcom, but it's not replacting X-Com in my once a year play throughs.

Edited by WrongShui at 23:15:28 02-01-2013
  • muttler 3 Jan 2013 13:34:26 3,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    While I agree that more could be done with the strategic bit, and that there were some particular niggles (the 'all or nothing' time acceleration on the Geoscape meant you had to have the reactions of Ned Neederlender if you wanted to micromanage your UFO response), I wouldn't single out the armour or weapons. The armour in particular gave you multiple paths and philosophies (tough vs clever vs evasive vs tactical advantage) and the weapons were more varied than in the original.

I haven't started my impossible run through. I'm scared and there are many many more straighforward things to do with my time.
    Thinking about it, I agree with you about about the armour and weapons, especially as the skill trees for the soldiers give lots more options. The research time in the old game was much longer though, so you had to put more thought into what order to research things.

I've almost finished my first run through (Classic), after that I'll probably do a Classic Ironman, then I'll try Impossible.
  • jabberwoky 3 Jan 2013 19:37:06 464 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have reached month 3 and so far have not reloaded any save. I am hoping to complete the game without reloading any save, except for ending a session. Difficulty is classic, but the first month was normal which gave me a good start. Can anyone tell me if my goal is realistic? Will it be very hard or reasonably do-able? I am playing it all for the first time post month 3.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Jan 2013 20:20:39 43,140 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Plenty doable. Be cautious, don't get over extended and remember a bug out is always, always better than a last stand.

• jabberwoky 4 Jan 2013 11:51:10 464 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

OK, thanks. I will bug out if neccessary but have noticed the bug out rectangle isn't always there....
  • krushing 4 Jan 2013 12:09:31 777 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Here's to hoping a Jagged Alliance/Silent Storm hybrid will emerge from this...
  • Salaman 4 Jan 2013 13:43:48 18,839 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm quite happy I'm not on the hardcore level you lot seem to be at. Totally fucked up a mission last night. Quite to desktop, try again tonight or tomorrow. Yaay \0/
  • Demikaze 4 Jan 2013 14:14:06 6,698 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So, I'm playing CI and it's rock hard. I have Light Plasma rifles, precision sniper lasers and heavy lasers, and I'm fighting mutons with upgraded armour, and it's horrible! I've had 5 complete wipes in a row. What do you do in scenarios where you only have half cover available, there's 4 of them, 6 of you, but it'll take four of you to take down just one of the buggers?

I read its all about giving the enemy no chance to take shots at you, but how? They'll just move up to a corner using one of their moves, then shoot with the next...
  • LeoliansBro 4 Jan 2013 14:18:59 43,140 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're playing Ironman? So you've just lost 30 soldiers?

There are no scenarios where there is only half cover available. Keep your units in a loose horseshoe or crescent with an assault at each end and a heavy and sniper in the middle. Have a support with all the cloak and dagger shit and an arc thrower in the pocket, move him forward first and if he finds people, move him back if there's no cover and put everyone else on overwatch. Final chap can be anyone but it's nice to have a medic for when you fuck up.

Edit: if you bollocks it up, smoke grenades will help (although it might make the Mutons throw grenades...) but remember a combat stim one offers NO defence bonus (ie it's worse for defence than a squaddie's smoke).

Edited by LeoliansBro at 14:20:51 04-01-2013

• Ocrovastru 4 Jan 2013 16:08:04 602 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would love a Jagged Alliance in this engine for consoles. Please make this happen.

Maybe with a bit more destructive bits though.
  • WrongShui 4 Jan 2013 16:13:57 6,598 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I want them to release a Terror from the Deep addon and then go straight to Apocalypse for the sequel.
  • Demikaze 4 Jan 2013 19:34:59 6,698 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    You're playing Ironman? So you've just lost 30 soldiers?

There are no scenarios where there is only half cover available. Keep your units in a loose horseshoe or crescent with an assault at each end and a heavy and sniper in the middle. Have a support with all the cloak and dagger shit and an arc thrower in the pocket, move him forward first and if he finds people, move him back if there's no cover and put everyone else on overwatch. Final chap can be anyone but it's nice to have a medic for when you fuck up.

Edit: if you bollocks it up, smoke grenades will help (although it might make the Mutons throw grenades...) but remember a combat stim one offers NO defence bonus (ie it's worse for defence than a squaddie's smoke).
    Yep, 30 soldiers down, all I have is Squaddies and no other ranked soldiers. I think I might have buggered this run through. I'm holding out on assaulting my first alien base and so have been repeatedly trying normal missions to promote my soldiers and get some alloys for plasma rifle creation when the research is ready. This has led to many complete wipes.

Worst part is I have tonnes of money, around 3 grand, but not enough raw materials.

Also, are alloy Shivs actually worth it? Ta!
  • Edwannawonga 4 Jan 2013 20:51:40 330 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alloy shivs are good to take along if all your soldiers are low-ranked or if you know you're up against mind-control units. Other than that, you don't have to bother with them. Their health points are a bonus though.

Dunno about anyone else but going by my second play-through, there doesn't seem to be a point in building labs.
  • FightingMongoose 8 Jan 2013 02:15:31 496 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Snufkin wrote:
    Been having weird dreams about XCOM and Dishonored. I've suddenly realised - all games should be turn based. Imaging sneaking through Dunwall as Corvo, with all his powers, in isometric, ttrying to remain undetected. That would be rad.
    Firaxis and Arkane should team up - Arkaxis has a nice ring to it
    THIS. A million times this.
  • FightingMongoose 8 Jan 2013 17:43:50 496 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Game hasn't stalled in mission at all for me so far, until my first mission after downloading today's update :(
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Jan 2013 18:06:04 16,838 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Edwannawonga wrote:
    Dunno about anyone else but going by my second play-through, there doesn't seem to be a point in building labs.
    There was one point on my classic run-through where I could have done with plasma weapons a bit sooner but other than that I concur with your point. I'd say extra engineers always come in handy but scientists from mid-point onwards are not nearly as essential as you can pretty much rely on the monthly injection of staff.

You are a factory of sadness.

• AaronTurner 8 Jan 2013 19:24:53 7,591 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    New patch today sounds great for anyone not seen it. The second wave options are now in the game, so you can select a marathon game, random stats for squad members, random growth etc. Time to fire it up again :)
  • Page

of 126 First / Last