XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 94

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• faux_carnation 9 Dec 2012 22:51:53 9,040 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I barely used shotgun assault troops on Normal but now I'm on Classic I'm finding running right up to aliens and shooting them pointblank in the face is both useful and satisfying.
  • krushing 10 Dec 2012 11:40:47 777 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not to mention the magic of the alloy cannon.
  • LeoliansBro 10 Dec 2012 11:49:05 43,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got the poison achievement! And Xavier! Only four more to go to get 1,000G!

(two of those are completing the game on impossible and winning from all five starting locations but STILL).

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Bremenacht 10 Dec 2012 16:24:31 17,600 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bloody hell. That's good going. I don't think I'll be going for the 1000G - I really ought to play something else. At least until some interesting DLC comes along.

But I just know that when I finally push the button on my CI game, I'll want to restart on impossible..
  • Telepathic.Geometry 11 Dec 2012 01:31:51 11,263 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've stopped playing XCOM for now, as I don't have the time to really put some thought into my strategies and eat the failure of an ironman playthrough. I think I'm gonna pop in tonight though and get the all girls and poison trophy. Already got the Xavier one. Then commanded the fucker to rift himself. Very satisfying...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Bremenacht 11 Dec 2012 01:53:40 17,600 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey - if I'm not going to go for 1000G, there's no harm in looking them up, right? I'm itching to know what this Xavier one is.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 11 Dec 2012 04:33:40 11,263 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll give you a hint: Turn the tables on the Ethereals!

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Bremenacht 11 Dec 2012 09:09:21 17,600 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ohhh..
  • LeoliansBro 11 Dec 2012 09:19:36 43,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah my view is that it doesn't spoil anything to look up the secret achievements once you've completed the game, and some you'd never get by chance (eg the poison one).

• robc84 12 Dec 2012 08:50:35 5,271 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Does anyone know if it is possible to see sectoid commanders after you have 'unlocked' ethereals?

Its the last interrogation I need and I guess the last research project, but I think I've only ever seen 2 of them!!
  • faux_carnation 12 Dec 2012 22:16:55 9,040 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gah. Getting through Classic is like wading through treacle. How on earth can anyone even play Impossible, let alone win at it?
  • RedSparrows 12 Dec 2012 23:20:48 21,991 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Luck!
  • IJ 13 Dec 2012 10:55:25 800 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just completed my first game, normal ironman. Fantastic game, great to have something a little different on a console. I played it constantly for a week or so up to just before the final mission and then did get a little bored. Came back to complete it last night.

I wish it was actually a shorter game so I could replay it several times with different tactics, there are a lot of different ways to go about playing this game, but at 25-30 hours per playthrough it doesn't really lend itself to replays.

The DLC is out, anyone got any reviews of it?

Another +1 for squadsight and inthezone. On the final mission two cyberdisks arrived, my sniper took out both drones around the first disk (there is always a 100% chance of hitting those with my sniper so no surprise), then she critical'ed the disk to kill it, she then killed both drones on the second disk and finished up by taking 10 or so damage off the second disk. Absolutely lethal.
  • Commander-Keen 13 Dec 2012 14:37:13 806 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, out of interest, now we've all played this for a while and are generally quite positive about it, how do we all feel it a) compares to the original and b) what features, if any, you'd like to see added?

For me, the obvious ones would be:

More maps / randomly generated ability
    A more diverse tech tree
    A greater "business" element - XCOM Apocalypse had this down pat!
    A touch more detail with the Psi / mind-control stuff

The latter especially rankles on a nit-picky level. If you MC someone and they get shot, *your* morale goes down for some reason. Not being funny, but I'd be quite pleased that the enemy had wasted their ammo taking out one of their own. Also, why can't you just get them to shoot themselves in the face? Surely that's what we'd all do on the "last turn" of MC?

As for a comparison to the original, I think it stands up well, albeit the original broke new ground and had more diversity in its' gameplay.

Some of that was superficial as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread (where you can place your base) but some of it was core - your own base getting attacked, the greater emphasis on research and production for instance meant that you had to play that game in a very different way and so was less "arcadey" than this version.
  • Bremenacht 15 Dec 2012 00:25:03 17,600 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Does anyone know if it is possible to see sectoid commanders after you have 'unlocked' ethereals?

Its the last interrogation I need and I guess the last research project, but I think I've only ever seen 2 of them!!
    Yes, but not if you're playing NI. I saw just the one on NI, and shot the bugger. Plenty of them on CI.
  • jabberwoky 15 Dec 2012 14:55:41 465 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Will be playing this shortly. Can anyone tell me if I should download the patch or does that make it worse? I seem to recall a rumour that it affected the elite soldier pack somehow negatively.
  • Mr_Sleep 15 Dec 2012 15:01:19 16,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One of the things I think they should have done is added more end game content. Once the tech tree has been seen through to the end there is not a great deal to do with it as you've pretty much seen everything by that point.

You are a factory of sadness.

• krushing 17 Dec 2012 13:55:46 777 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    robc84 wrote:

Yes, but not if you're playing NI. I saw just the one on NI, and shot the bugger. Plenty of them on CI.
    I saw plenty on NI, but can't really remember whether or not after the first appearance of the latter. I'm pretty sure afterwards as well.
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Dec 2012 14:16:42 16,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just finished a classic play through. What a game, had about the same trouble with the last mission as I did on normal. Although, obviously I had learned that you should just aim for the leader as that puts an end to things without having to take out the others.

I'm resisting the temptation to start a normal ironman game, in fact I've deleted xcom from my steam games' list, I just have too much else to play.

You are a factory of sadness.

• robc84 17 Dec 2012 14:26:13 5,271 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    krushing wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    robc84 wrote:

I saw plenty on NI, but can't really remember whether or not after the first appearance of the latter. I'm pretty sure afterwards as well.
    To be honest I'm getting a bit bored of waiting for one to show up now. The months are just going by... shoot down UFO, Terror Mission, Council request, rinse repeat. It's ruining my enthuiasm for the game.

I think I'll just go to the end game now and try again on a CI runthrough in the new year.

Its just frustrating that you get such a small window to capture them, and also that you dont know that you have such a small window! If I'd known I would have gone for the capture when I saw the bugger.

Great game overall though.
  • Bremenacht 17 Dec 2012 15:36:51 17,600 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I did the same thing on NI, while building up the Psi troops. It's definitely a lull in the game, although probably a welcome one, when you're playing Ironman - if you balls up the endgame, you have a chance to rebuild and try again.

I gave up waiting for another SC and pushed the button as soon as I felt I had enough Psi troops.

You'll run into the same situation on a CI runthrough though! I blew my chance of collecting a Sectoid early on, because of the impact of loosing squad members, so now I'm in the same situation.
  • robc84 17 Dec 2012 16:13:27 5,271 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think I'm ready for the end game. I think I could put out 2 squads of Cololnels, and I have a few PSI troops.

Hopefully I have enough. I'm hoping if I just take it nice and slow I should be ok!

TBH, I panicked when I saw the sectiod commander as I'd never been mind controlled before, so I just killed it ASAP!
  • IJ 17 Dec 2012 22:19:03 800 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    On N/I I found the final mission fairly easy. I didn't lose a single person and the final 'room' was easy.
  • faux_carnation 17 Dec 2012 23:50:45 9,040 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't understand how it would be possible to play this on Ironman. Sometimes things happen which are just so blatantly unfair and unforseeable that if they happened in an Ironman game I know I'd just give up in frustration.

Case in point: My squad were standing perfectly still, half overwatching, half reloading, when out of nowhere 2 Cyberdiscs and 6 Chrysalids appear without warning. There is literally nothing I can do about it. Obviously, everybody dies. If I were playing Ironmanm my game would now be over, through no fault of my own.
  • Bremenacht 18 Dec 2012 00:10:38 17,600 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You would have given up. And restarted, and given up, and restarted... :(

There comes a tipping point where you start to cope with the grenades and plasma of outrageous random number generation and begin to fight back - increasing the odds on your success.

The teleporting business is always annoying though. The domino effect (one clutch of aliens appearing after another) I can understand. I think it's to do with sound. The teleporting is 'a bit cheaty', to quote someone else.
  • GloatingSwine 18 Dec 2012 00:43:44 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    So, out of interest, now we've all played this for a while and are generally quite positive about it, how do we all feel it a) compares to the original and b) what features, if any, you'd like to see added?
    Larger maps with more opportunities for flanking. Flanking was built up to be a big deal in the game because of the hit/crit bonuses it offers, but with the maps being small, and the enemies getting their free move when you open the monster closet, there's a strong incentive not to try to flank, because doing so will frequently mean opening another monster closet and making your situation worse, frequently ending up with you being the flanked one.

Make cover more diverse and useful. Anything that currently counts as "heavy" cover should block fire completely, rather than being a -40% shot.

Also, make suppression worth doing. Suppressing fire should cut the target's action pool down so that they have one action in their next turn and can only use it to move or get their head down, as it is the accuracy penalty is insignificant so why would you do it when you could shoot the guy dead?

In all, try and make it so that there's more variation and it's not just a race to 100% accuracy.
  • oldschoolsoviet 27 Dec 2012 21:09:01 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Firing through this, and really enjoying it.

Not as much as my beloved BLiTZ-engined Valkyria, but it's got more tension, atmosphere, up-against-it oppression. You never have enough of what you need, and your constant reliance on luck is bloody agonising.

Delightful moment rescuing a VIP from a limo/car/Thin Man strewn underpass earlier, within 2 turns I'd charged an Assault guy in, activating the VIP, and got both the hell out with one opportunistic kill.

The next 7 kills came from a Heavy's single rocket, detonating cars galore, and the Thin Men along with them.

Damn the resources, it was worth it !

/can see it all ending in tears
  • boo 28 Dec 2012 10:06:01 11,703 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's probably already been asked, but 94 pages is a lot to plough through.

PS3 or 360? Is one regarded as superior to the other, or is it just down to joypad preference?

Cheers.

Just Another Lego Blog

• LeoliansBro 28 Dec 2012 10:10:09 43,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The important thing is that you get it :)

• L_Franko Moderator 28 Dec 2012 10:12:07 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, just pick it up.
    I have it on 360 and it runs fine.
  • Page

of 126 First / Last