• LeoliansBro 6 Dec 2012 13:53:20 44,966 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Never done it, sorry. Or for floaters.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• robc84 6 Dec 2012 13:55:43 6,107 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No worries, I know I'm doing it all arse about face.....
  • Saucy 6 Dec 2012 14:22:58 2,614 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nope, they don't stack, you have to do them individually. I got a heavy floater first on my game, then spent ages looking for a normal floater in the late game stuff.
  • robc84 6 Dec 2012 14:37:34 6,107 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I wonder why it wouldn't let interrogate that muton then. I'll try again!

It is a pain to find regular floaters and sectoids later in the game. I may just give up and try for them all in the next run through.
  • Bremenacht 6 Dec 2012 15:08:29 19,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    It is a pain to find regular floaters and sectoids later in the game. I may just give up and try for them all in the next run through.
    I'm hoping for the same thing to complete my collections, but no joy.

One other question on Psi-ops. Is there a limit to the number you get? I'm ploughing through new recruits at the moment, hiring and discarding non-Psi types in the hope of building up a 50/50 Psi/Normal squad. So far I've just got one new Psi-op out of about 25 squaddies. In the time that took, I lost 2 Psi-ops while clearing battleships and the new guy got targetted and killed by the aliens on the first mission he was one. :/
  • LeoliansBro 6 Dec 2012 15:37:56 44,966 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've had 6 Psi-guys before. It's a random chance which (I think) isn't dependant on difficulty.

• RedSparrows 6 Dec 2012 15:39:05 24,300 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Isn't it Will based? The more injuries someone's had, the less likely they'll be eligible.

Hence my psi-troops on Classic have always been Majors etc recruited as rewards late on.
  • Bremenacht 6 Dec 2012 15:55:55 19,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, does that mean new recruits are best? Or should I get them up to a high spec before putting them in the oven?

I do wonder, because 3 of my first 6 Colonels got converted.
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 16:09:16
    I put seven in over my first play through and only got two psi. All were high rank.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Dec 2012 16:13:34 44,966 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will affects how powerful their attacks are, not (I think) whether they have the gift. I've seen plenty of squaddies with psionic powers.

Really not sure on this though.

• Bremenacht 6 Dec 2012 18:52:56 19,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, I'll aim for 4 before pushing the WIN* button. 3 good'uns and 1 rookie for the special.

*Pleasepleaseplease don't fuck me over, nice game.
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 21:02:15
    I had one for the final mission and was easy till the final room then lost four.
  • Edwannawonga 8 Dec 2012 19:53:29 332 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loving this game; completed on Normal whilst scum-saving but now I'm just going to try Normal without saving so much after many Classic Ironman failures. I need to work on my base strategy so badly.

This game absolutely crushes you when you think you've got a handle on things; managed to miss a few 94% accuracy shots too :/
  • Telepathic.Geometry 9 Dec 2012 06:53:33 11,564 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had one mission where I was missing 86% shots and 90% shots all over the place, and I got fucking mauled by a load of mutons. Then, from deep cover I started making 34% shots to save the day. I'd love to know what kind of random number generator they use...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Deleted user 9 December 2012 07:10:24
    Traded mine in yesterday. Great game but after sixty odd missions played had enough. In my final game it pretty much decided I couldn't hit a muton behind a tiny gravestone. Four characters shot at it and all missed with awesome hit rates. Then he just criticals my character a mile away. Frustrating when a game takes away your skill and leaves it to chance.
    Like to know how they figure out the percentage. Sometimes I move a character into a blatantly easier position to hit something and the percentage becomes lower.
    On alien large UFO or bases getting killed through two walls is also very un cool.
    Hope they make another which is a bit more polish, will be all over it.
  • Deleted user 9 December 2012 07:10:41
    Post deleted
  • LeoliansBro 9 Dec 2012 09:20:42 44,966 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fix

• RedSparrows 9 Dec 2012 10:42:53 24,300 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Isn't that the nature of the beast? UFO used to slaughter me with hit chances.
  • fletch7100 9 Dec 2012 11:17:51 7,446 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Upgrade in the officer school, rewards more will with each promotion. Make sure you have that.

Then see how a new recruit psi soldiers will power goes up compared to a senior soldier who wasn't boosted by that upgrade for the majority of his career

Did send a squad of psi soldiers in the psi suits and Charles xavier
  • fletch7100 9 Dec 2012 11:20:27 7,446 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Isnt there an Upgrade in the officer school, rewards more will with each promotion. Make sure you have that.

Then see how a new recruit psi soldiers will power goes up compared to a senior soldier who wasn't boosted by that upgrade for the majority of his career

Did send a squad of psi soldiers in the psi suits and Charles xavier mind boost hats for a tryout. Alien suicides by grenades everywhere
  • LeoliansBro 9 Dec 2012 13:19:57 44,966 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iron Will, I think.

Anyway, today's Sunday tip from LB: there are two ways to gain immunity from poison. 1) Equip Titan armour, which also allows you to run through fire. 2) Equip a medikit, which (as I have now discovered) has bollocksed up my cunning plan to get the Five Poison Cures in a Mission achievement...

Live and learn. DLC looks weak and off the mark as well, albeit timely.

• PenguinJim 9 Dec 2012 15:16:56 6,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wut? Having a medikit equipped makes you automatically immune to poison? Am I reading that right?
  • millerlfc 9 Dec 2012 15:29:13 388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Wut? Having a medikit equipped makes you automatically immune to poison? Am I reading that right?
    Yes it says so in the medikit item description.
  • PenguinJim 9 Dec 2012 15:29:52 6,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Items have DESCRIPTIONS?! o_O
  • Bremenacht 9 Dec 2012 15:47:08 19,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    I had one mission where I was missing 86% shots and 90% shots all over the place, and I got fucking mauled by a load of mutons. Then, from deep cover I started making 34% shots to save the day. I'd love to know what kind of random number generator they use...
    Mutons seem to have the knack of doing that. Thin Men are even more annoying, but I'm sure I've seen an in-game tip warning about Thin Man accuracy, so it's to be expected. The trick seems to be in recognising when the game is fucking with you and backing away.

One of the most powerful get-out-of-jail-mostly-free tools in the game is that 3rd level Psi shield. It's mission-saving when the game does that domino-effect thing with multiple aliens getting in your space -perhaps throwing in a teleporting Cyberdisc for extra spice- and you need to extricate everyone to a quieter bit of the map, or somewhere where your snipers can change the odds against you.
  • Bremenacht 9 Dec 2012 15:47:38 19,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Items have DESCRIPTIONS?! o_O
    :D

'LS'!
  • LeoliansBro 9 Dec 2012 19:45:34 44,966 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If it helps PJ, I didn't read the description either...

Thin Men get additional accuracy through their +10 AIM light plasma rifle. This doesn't really matter on normal as they are horrible shots, but given the bonuses to aliens you get on Classic and especially Impossible, they start to become utter cunts very quickly.

• Bremenacht 9 Dec 2012 20:28:25 19,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Of course - I'd forgotten about those rifles. Does that ufopedia say anything about sight distances? Sometimes, aliens seem to have the same sight distance as humans, other times they seem to be capable of pulling of sniper-distance shots.

Anyway. Had another teleporting Sectopod this evening! They are very funny. I shoot a Drone near a tree on approach to the UFO and move my Assault up to the same tree, in full-cover. On the alien turn I hear the BOOM-BOOM-BOOM of a sectopod. Back on my turn, I find the big bastard 'hiding' on the other side of the tree! Haha! A Sectopod hiding behind a tree. I laughed. And then I had my squad run away, as not one of them had LoS on the bugger. I could see it, but they couldn't. Running away and then sneaking back did the trick.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last