XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 90

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• Moot_Point 2 Dec 2012 12:42:30 3,921 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @roz123 If you have waited this long to buy it, I would seriously wait for a GotY edition. It seems to lack content, which was obviously cut to make DLC.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Deleted user 2 December 2012 12:59:22
    Moot point you talk copious amounts of drivel.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Dec 2012 15:21:02 43,321 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    "The site adds that the DLC took them two hours to complete"... I spent a full half-minute fuming that Firaxis made a DLC in two hours and were then going to charge $7 for it. :evil:

That does sound both boring and terrible in equal quantities from the description (not to mention freakishly overpriced), but we'll see.

I'd gladly pay $7 to finally get my Snakemen. WHERE ARE MY FUCKING SNAKEMEN?!?
    What do you think Thin Men are? ;)

And Moot Point: shut up.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• FutileResistor 2 Dec 2012 23:31:58 1,221 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    roz123 wrote:
    Is the PS3 version a good Xmas present for a big fan of advanced wars?
    Yes. it is fantastic. And in asda is only twenty five new
    Cheers
    19.85 in ShopTo.
  • FutileResistor 2 Dec 2012 23:42:40 1,221 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/30/xcom-enemy-unknown-slingshot-dlc-launches-next-week-features-triads/

Hmmm.
    This really doesn't look very appealing, and working alongside the fucking Tiad? WTF?

Firaxis just need to do two things and I'd happily play this game until they make a sequel.

1)Fix the enemy units telepoting into the middle of your squad bug.

2)Release a mapmaker or otherwise open up the game to community map making.

Also getting rid of the scripted structure of the game and unskippable cut-scenes would also be better for repeated playthroughs.
  • Deleted user 2 December 2012 23:47:00
    Don't like my classic game so far. The battles are fine and not having issues. I am having issues with the world, lost two countries with in first six weeks and I can't see how I could have done anything better.
  • Bremenacht 3 Dec 2012 02:08:46 17,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FutileResistor wrote:
    1)Fix the enemy units telepoting into the middle of your squad bug.

2)Release a mapmaker or otherwise open up the game to community map making.
    2) Would be pretty cool. Remakes of some of the more classic maps would also be good. The cornfields, the cruise ship, multi-level buildings i.e. more than just two levels! Nothing tedious like having to check every room on the cruise ship, but similar themes.

1) Oh. Classic teleport horror on my long-running CI game earlier. An Abductor ship - the one with the two big bay areas, in which aliens are usually hiding? I found a Sectopod in one, killed it's drones and found that it had backed into a corner at the far end. Now, Sectopods are big clumsy buggers aren't they? You'd be pretty sure you could see a Sectopod trying to hide behind a bit of pipe, yeah? Well, no. It seems if the bit of pipe is 2x2 squares, the Sectopod is impossible to see unless you flank it. So I flank along the balcony and there it is. I run my guy back into full cover and bring up the heavy, but the fucker still still manages to shoot him. However, this time he lives! Yay! Take that, bastard game! You've failed for a change! Titan armour and Chitin plating, thank you very much.

So. What does it do now? It teleports the Sectopod onto the flanking guy! Haha! It was so preposterous I burst out laughing. While I was laughing, my Heat Heavy and Sniper pair, all of whom were on overwatch, destroyed it. I laughed even more knowing my poor flanker would probably die as a result of the explosion, but somehow he didn't.

Oh. I've also had a Sectopod take a shot at me during my turn, and it wasn't a reaction shot. I was looking at move options with one guy when I heard the boom-boom-boom and found that another guy (who I hadn't yet touched) was now critical.

"A bit cheaty" :D
  • PenguinJim 3 Dec 2012 05:30:35 5,768 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sometimes they seem to stir during your turn, after you've done something in your turn. It seems a reasonable way to translate fighting a super-fast death machine into a turn-based scenario.

I've never quite understood the criticism that the aliens have higher hit chances (etc). They're all cybernetically enhanced and whatnot, aren't they? I'd expect my stupid apes to have an aiming disadvantage. Having a very-fast killer robot would simply be an extension of that.

But the teleporting thing is just weird (although it has yet to negatively impact my game).
  • Salaman 3 Dec 2012 08:52:23 18,890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FutileResistor wrote:
    Also getting rid of the scripted structure of the game and unskippable cut-scenes would also be better for repeated playthroughs.
    Isn't everything skippable?
    Even on my first playthough I was skipping most things that came up, especially the little cut scenes for completing a new technology, dissecting an alien, leaving on a mission, arriving at a mission/crash site, etc.
    I think I also skipped some of the story related cut scenes but I'm not sure. Maybe I was forced to watch those but it can't be that many.
  • L_Franko Moderator 3 Dec 2012 09:54:09 9,694 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes you can skip pretty much all the cutscenes.

Edit

Edited by L_Franko at 10:14:52 03-12-2012
  • PenguinJim 3 Dec 2012 10:01:05 5,768 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU CAAAAAAAN'T!!!

The final room one is unskippable. Probably as some sort of reloading punishment.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Dec 2012 10:11:47 43,321 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    True dat. The others are optional.

Just try not to suck at the final room. A plasma sniper and a mayhem rocket should be more than enough to kill the uberethereal.

• LeoliansBro 3 Dec 2012 10:14:39 43,321 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and the battle scanner doesn't half show up the mechanism behind invisible alien movement.

It did lead to one of my best moments yesterday though, where a HEAT rocket one-shotted a cyberdisc, and that plus the cyberdisc exploding was enough to kill off a pack of Mutons I'd not even spotted :)

• RyanDS 3 Dec 2012 12:19:46 9,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Think this may be my game of the year.

Just can't stop playing.
  • outerheaven8 3 Dec 2012 17:11:50 82 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anywhere that i can still pick up the pre-order DLC with the game?

It's 20 quid for the game in Morrison's but i don't think it includes it, and i have 350 MS points so I'm trying to avoid buying a surplus of points.
  • asphaltcowboy 3 Dec 2012 17:42:02 5,138 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    outerheaven8 wrote:
    Anywhere that i can still pick up the pre-order DLC with the game?

It's 20 quid for the game in Morrison's but i don't think it includes it, and i have 350 MS points so I'm trying to avoid buying a surplus of points.
    I got a version from GAME that claimed to have it. Except it didn't. Managed to convince the webchat chat guy to give me 400MS points though (instead of a refund) as it hadn't arrived as advertised.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Dec 2012 19:08:21 43,321 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just got the 50G for having a soldier survive every mission. Tough having to skip missions because he was injured but I got lucky.

• L_Franko Moderator 3 Dec 2012 20:30:31 9,694 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice work. That can't have been on Classic?
  • Deleted user 3 December 2012 21:38:26
    Ten missions in and quit my classic attempt.
    Started a ironman normal. Just found on classic every shot missed and had teleporting enemies and the slightest problem all my team shoot each other.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Dec 2012 21:50:43 43,321 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    Nice work. That can't have been on Classic?
    Hell no! Scooping up achievements and preening myself on easy, building ego before I dive down to the proper depths for the impossible run through.

• Deleted user 3 December 2012 21:58:43
    Is getting an assault class in titan armour and using them as bait to get aliens to chase them into your squads over watch good? not tried it.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Dec 2012 22:09:45 43,321 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, better with the 3 tiles of extra movement you get with skeleton/ghost armour. though, or six tiles if he's also a support sprinter. Save the assault to be your executioner.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 22:11:14 03-12-2012

• Deleted user 3 December 2012 22:21:15
    Thanks. Will try it. Mainly just try flanking at present.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 07:55:13 43,321 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Today's fun fact - the special psychic power you get (you know the one) works against robotic enemies. Try it on Sectopods, it's beautiful!

• L_Franko Moderator 4 Dec 2012 10:04:43 9,694 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Ten missions in and quit my classic attempt.
    Started a ironman normal. Just found on classic every shot missed and had teleporting enemies and the slightest problem all my team shoot each other.
    My tactic for Classic is to use one unit to scout ahead then when they find enemy units to run back to my squad and out of sight then put the rest of my squad on overwatch and wait for them to come to you.
    I've noticed that the survivability of my units has greatly increased.

You do get the odd Mary that panics at the sight of someone stubbing their toe but there isn't an option to slap one of your team mates up side the head unfortunately.

In this Classic playthrough I lost three countries by the time the third month came round but as I've been going for the hard missions instead of the easy option things have started to settle down a bit.

I have my eyes well and truly aimed on finishing the game in Classic for my first ever completion no matter how long it takes. I fell quite good about my current game but I'm sure I'll get punished for thinking that tonight.
  • RyanDS 4 Dec 2012 10:08:33 9,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How do the milestones work? As in the plot stuff and escalation.

Could I spend a whole year just researching and building up guys and the enemy types would stay the same? Then finally do the capture etc when I am ready.

Or do the plot points automatically happen at certain dates?
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 10:08:38 43,321 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You should always go for the hardest mission available. On Classic and above the panic level increase of an ignored mission is linked to the difficulty, so better to let an easy mission slip than a very difficult one.

Course, that assumes you're a tactical legend who can pull off the difficult missions, but given you're plugging away at Classic I'd say you at least have the stones.

And a battle scanner is a neat replacement for a scout if you're going in Heavy ... heavy. Tells the rockets where to go and such.

• LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 10:12:32 43,321 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    How do the milestones work? As in the plot stuff and escalation.

Could I spend a whole year just researching and building up guys and the enemy types would stay the same? Then finally do the capture etc when I am ready.

Or do the plot points automatically happen at certain dates?
    They are dependent on your actions, but in the background panic levels are always rising (and you can only offset them with a satellite once). It is certainly possible to manage panic indefinitely though, so you could keep plugging away at UFO / abduction / terror missions until you have full satellite coverage over all the countries you still control (at which point you'll only evenr get UFO missions). However certain gear won't be available until you've passed key plot stages, most obviously psionics.

• robc84 4 Dec 2012 10:12:34 5,346 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think I have got to the point where I am just waiting for the end game. I am putting all my guys and gals through the psionic testing and trying to build a backup squad in case things go horribly wrong in the final mission. Its got to the point where all I am getting is UFO missions with odd council request and terror mission every now and again.

I am currently in the middle of my first battleship. I have been going round stunning as many enemies as possible. Then I thought, I only have 1 containment facility. I assume you can only catch one alien at a time per facility? And if you capture more, how does it decide which one you 'keep'?
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 10:13:52 43,321 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nope, you keep every alien you stun (over ever one interrogation per alien type though). I assume there's a Muton petting zoo out the back of the containment.

• Page

of 126 First / Last