XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 89

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• RedSparrows 28 Nov 2012 14:00:22 22,585 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Indeed.

Fortunately mind-control is most effective because the enemy has zero compunction about nuking their own troops - most of the floaters took out their own comrade Muton, rather than bother with me.

The Sectopod died in one turn due to HEAT and a snipe, and I managed to knock out enough floaters (hohoho) to survive the next turn.
  • Bremenacht 28 Nov 2012 14:10:04 18,190 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    I'm just about to start my first Classic run in a kind of max-min kinda way (not doing any un-necessary research, stunning as many aliens as possible to get their weapons intact) but I'm not gonna go Ironman just yet I think.
    Don't bother with stunning for weapons early on! You have to wait until your research progresses far enough for plasma anyway, at which point you'll find that all those plasma weapons you collected aren't in your armoury. I don't know whether the game converts them into weapon fragments or just makes them disappear, but either way your effort will be for naught. The best time to collect weapons is probably after you've built a containment facility, 'cos then you start picking up the research bonuses.

I tend to go two squadsight snipers, two supports and then whatever else. Two snipers 'cos you can have one providing cover & overwatch while the other moves position (with pistol). Two support, because I've found time and time again that the bastard game will pick off a single support and leave you without any medikit or smoke. It's most annoying to watch your single support bleed-out. It's a conservative approach, but when you really really don't want to sack your CI game again, it brings home the (muton) bacon.

Nice to see you back, btw. :)
  • glo 28 Nov 2012 14:12:37 3,424 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finished my first play-through last night (normal without ironman). Will be back for a classic attempt as soon as I clear my backlog of games that has built up whilst I have been constantly playing xcom.

unless one of the games I am getting for xmas surprises me, this will be my GOTY by a large margin.
  • LeoliansBro 28 Nov 2012 14:17:15 44,118 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, you wouldn't go for stunning until you have containment - the stunned alien is otherwise killed anyway of course (just after the mission, because you've nowhere to keep it) and the weapon is presumably destroyed at that point.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 29 Nov 2012 15:58:49 44,118 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, welcome to another edition of Tactics with LB.

Basically, after last night's gaming I think I'm using Assault and Support the wrong way round. I've been confused by the names, you see.

The difference comes from the need to stun aliens rather than kill them, if at all possible. Simply put, the Support class can get the arc thrower closer to the aliens. So, I've had two supports on my missions - one normal medic, a safety net I really don't want to be without, and the other free to be a suppressing, dense smoking, stimpumping, grapple firing ninja stunmaster. He leads the group and is generally the one to charge in and try to knock them down ('1.21 JIGGAWATTS' is such a good piece of dialogue!). Then my assault guy is lurking in reserve, my jack in the box to pull him out of trouble if he bollockses it up. Gunslinging sniper works well in this role as well.

Oddly, the class I was so utterly dependent on for C/I, the Heavy, is the class I'm neglecting the most now...

• L_Franko Moderator 29 Nov 2012 16:10:20 9,694 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've found that I am using my Support class as the first in to any mission now and leaving my Assault at the back ready for when I need a run and gun. That works well for when a Floater jumps behind my line. Easy kill.
  • Salaman 29 Nov 2012 16:14:23 19,035 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm I'm confused by all the stun talk now.
    I've used stun a few times, mostly for trying to capture one of every alien around so my research lady can look into them.
    On enemy first game I stunned a variety of aliens. This game I think I only managed 2 perhaps.

There was some mention of being able top pick up weapons from the battlefield in future after I completed some research. So to get plasma rifles cheap I need to stun the aliens then?
  • robc84 29 Nov 2012 16:38:29 5,587 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    So, I've had two supports on my missions - one normal medic, a safety net I really don't want to be without, and the other free to be a suppressing, dense smoking, stimpumping, grapple firing ninja stunmaster.
    I've been tempted to experiment with the support class but I just haven't got the guts to go into a mission without my 6 medkits!

If I only had one medic, and he got critically wounded, there would be no-one to revive him!

Saying that, is it at Colonel rank that they get the extra inventory slot or Major?
  • LeoliansBro 29 Nov 2012 16:44:58 44,118 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Major. Useful for the (I've got the) poison (I've got the) remedy achievement, that.

(Although I haven't got it yet, running through snakemen farts is no way to carry on a mission).

• LeoliansBro 29 Nov 2012 16:48:09 44,118 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Hmm I'm confused by all the stun talk now.
    I've used stun a few times, mostly for trying to capture one of every alien around so my research lady can look into them.
    On enemy first game I stunned a variety of aliens. This game I think I only managed 2 perhaps.

There was some mention of being able top pick up weapons from the battlefield in future after I completed some research. So to get plasma rifles cheap I need to stun the aliens then?
    You'll only ever get weapon fragments unless you do one of two things:

- Stun an alien. then you get a live alien and whatever weapon and grenade it was carrying.

- Have an alien die when it is mind controlled by you. It is treated as a fallen comrade for panic etc purposes, but you also get the weaponry at the end of the mission. Less useful as you're pretty much stocked up by the psionic stage of things, but still.

• Deleted user 29 November 2012 18:21:30
    Despite the amount of hours I've put into this bitch of a game it still surprises me with its little quirks/bugs.

Saw a Sectoid 'Hunker Down' right in front of me yesterday. Which was nice. Didn't think aliens could do that at all.
  • Bremenacht 30 Nov 2012 00:13:44 18,190 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    So, welcome to another edition of Tactics with LB.
    Keep them up. Quite enjoy reading different ideas for playing this game.
  • LeoliansBro 30 Nov 2012 09:47:48 44,118 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Today's fun fact: a stimmed, skeleton suited sprinter support soldier (abbrv: SSSSSS), should he run into muton flavoured trouble, can dash away further than the muton can move and the range of his weapon combined. This leads to some interesting tactical choices, not least that you can choose to run past the mutons rather than away from them.

Although, interestingly, the Elite Muton can throw a grenade further than his weapon range (never seems to do this in single player mind).

• Telepathic.Geometry 30 Nov 2012 12:48:11 11,317 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have seen the light. Support class is awesome, even if you choose not to use medipacks. They travel farther than everybody, they can potentially take two shots at dudes from overwatch, they can carry a scope and chitin armor in a pinch... I think once I get my guy kitted out in some ghost armor he'll be fucking lethal! :D

I'm now trying to design my team as 2 gun-slinging snipers, 2 supports and 2 assault dudes. They should be good to go in almost any situation. :)

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• LeoliansBro 30 Nov 2012 12:54:48 44,118 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hey, sounds like a plan but I'd swap out an assault for a heavy. Always nice to bring someone along who can 'open-plan' a tricksy building for you :)

• L_Franko Moderator 30 Nov 2012 13:02:40 9,694 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, a heavy is a must for any team. I've lost count of the amount of times a well placed rocket has saved my team.

Last night I discovered two groups of floaters right next to each other and four of them grouped together next to a lorry so I opened up with the heavy and BOOM! All I needed to do then was mop up the last two. 6 enemy kills in one turn thanks to the heavy dude.
  • LeoliansBro 30 Nov 2012 13:58:00 44,118 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thin Man's face is a stylised version of Sid Meier's face, according to the UFOPaedia (which is where all my other stat info is coming from)

• Salaman 30 Nov 2012 14:39:21 19,035 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Last night I shot down a BIG ufo.
    It has a single very small entrance and one of them cyberdisks came at me from within. Shot it down. it exploded. No the very narrow entrance is blocked by a bunch of flaming debris. :-/
    One heavy with one of them fancy suits on that protect you from fire and one sniper with a jetpack suit on can get past. The rest is stuck waiting outside as they refuse to move past the flaming wreckage of the cyberdisk.
    :-/
  • LeoliansBro 30 Nov 2012 14:44:55 44,118 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Use the heavy to blow a hole into the interior?

Not seen one like that before - is it a Battleship?

• IJ 30 Nov 2012 15:23:18 828 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Last night I shot down a BIG ufo.
    It has a single very small entrance and one of them cyberdisks came at me from within. Shot it down. it exploded. No the very narrow entrance is blocked by a bunch of flaming debris. :-/
    One heavy with one of them fancy suits on that protect you from fire and one sniper with a jetpack suit on can get past. The rest is stuck waiting outside as they refuse to move past the flaming wreckage of the cyberdisk.
    :-/
    Are you sure you can't get around the side? There is always a rear-entrance (oh matron) from the UFO's I've encountered.
  • Salaman 30 Nov 2012 16:23:55 19,035 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think I killed it off with a heavy giving it a rocket to the noggin.
    When I was put into the level it was on a little metal walkway right outside the UFO, not out in the woods nearby as usual.
    To the left and right it's no-go area as far as I can tell.

I'll load it up tonight and make a screenshot. Sounds like I'm doing something wrong.
  • LeoliansBro 30 Nov 2012 19:38:11 44,118 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep that's a battleship. Gluck!

• Bremenacht 1 Dec 2012 22:50:38 18,190 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/30/xcom-enemy-unknown-slingshot-dlc-launches-next-week-features-triads/

Hmmm.
  • PenguinJim 2 Dec 2012 03:47:46 5,853 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "The site adds that the DLC took them two hours to complete"... I spent a full half-minute fuming that Firaxis made a DLC in two hours and were then going to charge $7 for it. :evil:

That does sound both boring and terrible in equal quantities from the description (not to mention freakishly overpriced), but we'll see.

I'd gladly pay $7 to finally get my Snakemen. WHERE ARE MY FUCKING SNAKEMEN?!?
  • Bremenacht 2 Dec 2012 12:15:25 18,190 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I won't be bothering with it. It doesn't appear to add much to the game.
  • roz123 2 Dec 2012 12:30:14 7,113 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is the PS3 version a good Xmas present for a big fan of advanced wars?
  • RyanDS 2 Dec 2012 12:31:24 9,349 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    Yes. it is fantastic. And in asda is only twenty five new
  • Moot_Point 2 Dec 2012 12:31:34 4,049 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Shit, I forgot this was a 2K game. Thus only worth buying a GotY edition, same with Bethesda games.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• roz123 2 Dec 2012 12:32:52 7,113 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    roz123 wrote:
    Yes. it is fantastic. And in asda is only twenty five new
    Cheers
  • Page

of 130 First / Last