XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 86

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• agparrot 21 Nov 2012 10:58:29 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Classic Ironman beaten. Who wants to touch me?

I SAID WHO WANTS TO TOUCH ME?
    Is that... Alien Goo on your skin?

Top Work! I still think Classic is a great difficulty that is satisfying to win at. I've been decimated a couple of times at Impossible, it's crazy-nuts, haven't even seen any sort of light at the end of the tunnel for it, yet.
  • RedSparrows 21 Nov 2012 11:08:07 20,753 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I nearly got to the Alien Base on impossible. But I had satellite shortages :(
  • PenguinJim 21 Nov 2012 12:04:09 5,450 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Is that... Alien Goo on your skin?

Top Work! I still think Classic is a great difficulty that is satisfying to win at. I've been decimated a couple of times at Impossible, it's crazy-nuts, haven't even seen any sort of light at the end of the tunnel for it, yet.
    Only losing 10% of your squad doesn't sound too bad... ;)
  • LeoliansBro 21 Nov 2012 12:06:47 41,863 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BTW, the stats were all over the shop at the end - I won 42 battles and lost 1? No I didn't. Also I made $18k and the global average was 115k? No it wasn't.

I am starting to think this patch may have created more problems than it solved.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 21 Nov 2012 12:08:25 41,863 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also anyone noticed how one of the voices is an absolute dead ringer for Luke Skywalker?

• Deleted user 21 November 2012 21:50:36
    22 quid on Amazon both consoles for anyone waiting out for it cheap.

Just shot down a UFO the size of Birmingham.

Oh ethereals are a pain.
  • Moot_Point 21 Nov 2012 21:51:55 3,503 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    20.09 in the steam sale.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• Moot_Point 21 Nov 2012 21:57:14 3,503 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Or even better, the complete original series for 4.49.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• Deleted user 21 November 2012 22:54:02
    Remember reading several reviews saying the locations repeat often. Not saying they don't but I have done maybe 35 missions and only had one map repeat which was a small woodland UFO crash one. Every other map only seen once. Well happy as was expecting loads of repeats.
  • Bremenacht 21 Nov 2012 23:33:44 15,753 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

That is damn fine work.
    Excellent work. When I finish CI -IF I FINISH CI- I shall be pretty damn pleased.

Anyone going for the 1000G? I normally cannot be arsed with achievements, but this is one game that will warrant the effort.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• LeoliansBro 22 Nov 2012 07:13:36 41,863 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I'm going for 1000G. Love this game.

• Deleted user 22 November 2012 07:19:02
    I love it more than you.
  • ardamillo 22 Nov 2012 08:43:48 509 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I want the Classic Ironman achievement. The others I'm not too fussed about.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2012 15:04:14
    hmmm. I have launched what I am guessing is the final mission, the past two missions i am not sure if they game has gone mad as no matter what position I am in the % hit chance when I shoot seems to be low nearly all the time! I had one enemy pretty much surrounded and no matter who went to fire at it the hit chance was poor. I had higher, lower, side etc all covered.
    I hate etherals I am sure there will be plenty on final mission. I have stupidly only got one character with psi protection thing.
    Suffered a few deaths lately too so my final assault team is 3 Colonels, 1 captain, 1 lieutenant, one Sargent.
  • LeoliansBro 24 Nov 2012 14:05:56 41,863 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lone Wolf achievement GET! Doing the solo early with a single heavy is the right way to go about it, so much easier without Ironman as well. Now the only achievement I have left in Classic difficulty is Wet Work (take five turns or fewer to clear a 'Very Difficult' Abduction.

Then it's gravy - one run through on easy to pick up the remaining achievements, and then the impossible run through. Can't wait!

• LeoliansBro 24 Nov 2012 14:07:41 41,863 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I reckon there should be something permanent out there for those few who complete Impossible Ironman. Like a trophy of your final Volunteer or something for your avatar.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 14:07:53 24-11-2012

• Mr_Sleep 24 Nov 2012 14:17:18 16,236 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    Remember reading several reviews saying the locations repeat often. Not saying they don't but I have done maybe 35 missions and only had one map repeat which was a small woodland UFO crash one. Every other map only seen once. Well happy as was expecting loads of repeats.
    They do not repeat all that much. I don't think I've had much repetition within the same game, once or twice maybe. There were one or two maps of downed UFOs that were the same but played from a different angle but I don't think that really counts in the same way.

The few maps that have repeated quite a bit between different games is tend to be the ones I really don't like. there's a petrol station one (which is horrible), I once had that as my first mission and everyone was promptly blown up. There is one I mentioned a few pages back where there is a fountain and it's three tiers and the aliens always have good cover and elevation. I have also had another one where there's a fountain in front of what seems to be a library. That one I've figured out, it's pretty much a case of everyone flanking right and advancing.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Bremenacht 24 Nov 2012 21:22:40 15,753 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    hmmm. I have launched what I am guessing is the final mission, the past two missions i am not sure if they game has gone mad as no matter what position I am in the % hit chance when I shoot seems to be low nearly all the time! I had one enemy pretty much surrounded and no matter who went to fire at it the hit chance was poor. I had higher, lower, side etc all covered.
    I just had a mission like that. It was fine until one group of Mutons appeared in the UFO. Hit them with a shredder, and then almost everyone thereafter was offered 1% hit chance, except the Col.Sniper, who got 18%. The Mutons meanwhile, somehow picked off my Col.Support with three massive hits in a row.

I've saved and quit, hopeing the 'Random' Number Generator will reset, but I suspect that one's a retreat.

• Deleted user 25 November 2012 10:28:05
    It doesn't reset. But if you make other moves, like regroup outside etc the numbers sequence changes. I learnt this on the base assault early in the game, when you reload the out come is always the same so you must adapt tactics to create a different situation. Worked on about tenth attempt.
  • LeoliansBro 25 Nov 2012 12:20:29 41,863 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haha, game just threw two wonderful callsigns at me!

May I introduce Katarina 'Wednesday' Ivanova and Donny 'Alan' Flores :D

• Bremenacht 25 Nov 2012 13:42:30 15,753 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    It doesn't reset. But if you make other moves, like regroup outside etc the numbers sequence changes. I learnt this on the base assault early in the game, when you reload the out come is always the same so you must adapt tactics to create a different situation. Worked on about tenth attempt.
    You're right! :(

Bastard game. I ran away into trees. If the turn ended with any of my squad having LoS on a Muton, they would get killed on the alien turn. Meantime, all aliens got awarded 40% high cover regardless of where they where, plus 30% defence, meaning no-one other than the sniper need bother attempting to shoot them.

So, I had a slow game of moving a guy into LoS, letting the sniper have a shot, and then moving the guy out of LoS again. Took ages just to kill three Mutons, and I lost half the squad. Bastard game.

• Deleted user 25 November 2012 14:04:30
    It is a mildly cheaty game. Like when ever you come across aliens they get to move into cover!
  • RyanDS 27 Nov 2012 10:25:53 8,699 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Picked this up yesterday and it is rather super. I used to play the original when I was in high school and have very fond memories, it's great to see the remake keeps the magic.

ANyone got any tips in general for the game though? Any research to avoid for instance?
  • Mirico 27 Nov 2012 10:29:05 6 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Made my motherfucking DAY!
    :lol:
  • LeoliansBro 27 Nov 2012 10:37:28 41,863 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    It is a mildly cheaty game. Like when ever you come across aliens they get to move into cover!
    Runs both ways, and means aliens will never shoot when they first appear, so they never get the drop on you (unless you are dashing and foolishly leave yourself exposed).

• Deleted user 27 November 2012 10:43:55
    Completed at last. Fantastic game. Only major negative I can think of is story, I never cared about what was going on.
    Last level found easy except final room where I lost four! Now for classic mode.
    Lost 24 soldiers, 0 satellites lost, 0 interceptors lost. Captured 6 enemy types. 0 mission failures but to be fair that would have been two failures if I had not reloaded.
  • LeoliansBro 27 Nov 2012 13:20:26 41,863 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Extremely useful little titbit:

If AI unit has no AOE attack, has no enemy in LOS which is exposed/flanked, is himself exposed/flanked, and sees a unit which is on overwatch, it will completely skip its turn. AI seems to run out of options and "panics".
    Great way of getting close to Sectoids / grounded Floaters / grenadeless Mutons with your Arc Thrower for captures.

• Mr_Sleep 27 Nov 2012 13:29:51 16,236 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    ANyone got any tips in general for the game though? Any research to avoid for instance?
    Satellites are very important indeed. Also, I found that it's worth trying to bolster engineering as much as possible, research requires no credits so getting at least one workshop up is very beneficial. Also, with regards of base construction, ensure that you plan to place things so you can get the adjacency bonuses. Oh and hopefully you'll have some easily accessible steam vents as they are very useful.

You are a factory of sadness.

• LeoliansBro 27 Nov 2012 13:44:10 41,863 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Turns out research credit you get from interrogations is really powerful as well, in many cases halving research times. IF you know what you're doing you could get your desired tech faster by asking the right alien how to build it.

I'm getting intrigued by the cover mechanics. So, you take an alien's aim (say 90), modify it by cover (say hunkered down in half cover = 20 x 2) and the result, 50, is the odds to hit. So half cover isn't worth it, but full cover hunkered down (40 x 2 = 80) would mean only a 10% chance to hit. Dense smoke grenades will give you a bonus 40 (normal 20), and so can be used instead of hunkering down for your forward troops (and is actually a better solution for troops forced into half cover). Skeleton armour gives a +10 defense as well, trading HP for evasion. And finally, if you go for the combat druggie smoke grenade, all defensive bonuses are lost.

Finally, give a rookie a light plasma rifle (+10 aim) and a SCOPE (+10 aim) and bang: instant boss.

• L_Franko Moderator 27 Nov 2012 14:05:34 9,686 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Extremely useful little titbit:

If AI unit has no AOE attack, has no enemy in LOS which is exposed/flanked, is himself exposed/flanked, and sees a unit which is on overwatch, it will completely skip its turn. AI seems to run out of options and "panics".
    Great way of getting close to Sectoids / grounded Floaters / grenadeless Mutons with your Arc Thrower for captures.
    That is interesting. I shall have to remember that and try it out later on.
  • Page

of 126 First / Last