XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 85

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 19 Nov 2012 11:26:17 43,291 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Useful tip I saw on a loading screen - if your soldier is dashing and draws a reaction shot he gets a defensive bonus, presumably because he's moving so quickly.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Bremenacht 19 Nov 2012 15:41:56 17,614 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    For anyone who was wondering, I had to back out of the solo mission. My heavy had taken down two mutons and two sectoid commanders but them a whole host of nasty came charging out of the woods and it was the right moment to double-time it back to the Skyranger. I'll get them next time.
    I reckon it might be easier to do this early-game, when you're just facing Sectoids. Heavy for one-'shot' kills with that move-after-firing skill. I can't imagine taking even the most skilled-up, tooled-up Colonel against a Sectopod or a Cyberdisc without getting roughed up. Even a Thin Man could ruin the mission with their wretched poison attack.
  • El_MUERkO 19 Nov 2012 19:30:27 16,956 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.g4tv.com/vgdm/best-game-2012/vote/549/xcomenemyunknown-vs-hitmanabsolution/

ATTACK!
  • Salaman 20 Nov 2012 10:15:59 18,887 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I gave up on my first game and restarted a new one. Same as before just a plain new game on normal difficulty.

Someone mentioned "story missions" on here, so when I now saw **priority** next to something, I didn't do it straight away because it said priority but I avoided it so I could build my base, upgrade my soldiers, etc.

I now have a full squad of 5 fairly well ranking female soldiers that kick alien ass. Every time I take a new recruit along they end up getting themselves killed. :-/
    I also have about 3-4 snipers. 1 or 2 would do me fine.

At the end of the night I noticed it had all actually been a little bit easy. Definitly going loads better than last time. I have 3 satellites up and a 4th one ready, the foundry is in place and I've now just made the arc thrower.

Two questions though:
    1) can I just go into the soldier's screen and change their attributes. So when there's 2 possible perks for a major and I took the left one, can i swap it to the right one prior to a mission? Is there a penalty?

2) how do you properly use a smoke grenade? I used it once on my first playthrough and it didn't do much and I forced myself to use one again last night but it didn't seem to do much either.
    1st time I chucked it at the alien, to obscure his vision, 2nd time I chucked it between the alien and myself to obscure his vision. Am I supposed to throw it on my own position?
  • mikeck 20 Nov 2012 10:20:19 1,905 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Salaman I'm pretty sure you use them on your position/soldiers as there are later perks that add defensive buffs etc to the grenades.
  • LeoliansBro 20 Nov 2012 10:20:45 43,291 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Attributes are fixed I think once you've chosen them. Smoke grenades work best as incremental help - give a dead meat rookie a fighting chance, or turn a tough shot into an impossible one. Very useful though, especially upgraded, but a build focussed on them (as opposed to a pure medic) is very unusual.

• millerlfc 20 Nov 2012 10:43:44 369 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ardamillo wrote:
    Do you think the stats at the end are accurate?

I didn't feel like I was hurrying, but I finished in about half the global average number of days. And my score was about 10% of the global average. This is on Normal.

Then again I didn't hang around to build all the foundry stuff, so maybe that's it.
    My duration was about average, but my score was well below. I think the average number of soldiers lost was about 4 whereas I lost about 35 (I imagine most people were just reloading all the time). I also failed two missions - one where I aborted and one where I tried to abort but my surviving soldiers got cut down on their way back to the LZ - whereas the global average was 0.02 fails.
  • teamHAM 20 Nov 2012 10:45:48 2,773 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    millerlfc wrote:
    whereas the global average was 0.02 fails.
    I'd imagine people reloading saves has quite a lot of influence on that stat.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• SirScratchalot 20 Nov 2012 12:09:54 7,872 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Right, I am really starting to dislike this game actively after switching to classic difficulty. Pluses are that groups of aliens now seem to roam the map, that is a huge deal since it makes this much less of a turn based corridor shooter.

Major, major minus is that aliens have obvious bonuses to critical hits and aim. A single sectoid took out three of my guys in full cover over half the map, over three turns and got a critical hit every time. A single lone UFO commander alien murdered a full strikeforce of uninjured characters with non-stop crits and hits in cover.
    I swallowed that.

Every single hit on the next mission was a crit, every single shot was a hit, my guys were always in cover and never flanked.

This makes the game blow donkey balls imho since coherent teams, covering fire etc now count for very little. Sure it ups your odds a bit, but..

I really wish there were modifiers selectable to avoid this. Partial cover is a joke as it is. Full cover is always blown away in one hit, followed by a crit.

It's like they balanced it for intense saving and reloading, very annoying. Though I guess it's to be expected, after all Civ5 high level AIs summon units from thin air.

It is very frustrating that the game I actually want to play seems to be in there but hidden in between difficulty levels. It is even more frustrating that all my attempts to get Xenonauts from Desura have so far failed. Time to try again guess.
  • LeoliansBro 20 Nov 2012 12:12:51 43,291 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you're taking that much fire, you should question your tactics. Send an assault (or support with the sprint bonus) sweeping ahead of your position, and have them drop back when they make contact. Get the aliens to run into your own overwatch fire.

• Mr_Sleep 20 Nov 2012 12:29:46 16,854 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think that is a problem early on when the weapons and technology are weak. I'm nearing the end of my third attempt at classic and this time I had to lose quite a few soldiers before I managed to get the right promotions.

I think LB is probably right too, on classic I have had to be a lot less aggressive in combat. There was one mission early on, it's one I almost always get boned on, there's a fountain in the middle of a three tier raised section with a bus on the right hand side (in case anyone knows the one I mean), anyway, on normal I would tend to try and fight up the middle but I discovered that it's much better to move off to the side and filter everyone around the bus with my best people inside it. Then I can force them to come to me from decent cover. It definitely works out better.

You are a factory of sadness.

• LeoliansBro 20 Nov 2012 12:31:40 43,291 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr. Sleep: as opposed to when you encounter that map later on, and turn it all open plan with a bundle of rockets :D

• Mr_Sleep 20 Nov 2012 12:43:57 16,854 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well yes, of course :-) I must admit, on normal I barely used rockets at all bar the occasional sectopod or something of that nature. However, on classic I seem to use them all the time, the shredder rocket can be a literal life saver. They're also great because they get rid of cover which then means my lower ranked rookies or whatnot can actually hit the fuckers (well most of the time anyway!)

I was meaning to post about my one real core disappointment with XCom and that is that in the original series' there was quite a focus on the interceptors and shooting down UFOs; on my current classic I have firestorm's on every continent with plasma cannons and I think I've shot down two UFOs in the the last two months. I find it annoying that the UFOs after a certain point seem to be used exclusively for plot reasons.

I love the game but it does seem like the attempt at somewhat tight scripting has led to a drop in some of the things I did used to like. Saying all that, I'm almost certainly going to start another game when this one is done. Different continent and I may even brave ironman!

• asphaltcowboy 20 Nov 2012 15:43:05 5,138 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can someone explain how the saving works in non-Ironman (either with or without autosave), my girlfriend isn't quite sure how it works and I'm playing on Ironman, so can't really test. Can you save whilst back at base? Can you just quit any time? As I understood, the point of non-Ironman was that you could create a new save whenever you wanted?
  • agparrot 20 Nov 2012 15:52:05 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    asphaltcowboy wrote:
    Can someone explain how the saving works in non-Ironman (either with or without autosave), my girlfriend isn't quite sure how it works and I'm playing on Ironman, so can't really test. Can you save whilst back at base? Can you just quit any time? As I understood, the point of non-Ironman was that you could create a new save whenever you wanted?
    Yeah, pretty sure you can just hit the start button and press save at any point.

In the main menu, there is also an option to enable Autosave, which I think by default may be turned off, so might be worth turning that on so that you / she don't have to remember to save during any non-Ironman games.
  • asphaltcowboy 20 Nov 2012 16:07:17 5,138 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @agparrot

agparrot wrote:
    asphaltcowboy wrote:
    Yeah, pretty sure you can just hit the start button and press save at any point.

In the main menu, there is also an option to enable Autosave, which I think by default may be turned off, so might be worth turning that on so that you / she don't have to remember to save during any non-Ironman games.
    You don't seem to be able to press Start whilst at base though? And she found that auto-save saved overly regularly (the 3 saves she had as an example were all within 1 minute of each other). I've read elsewhere that in Ironman it saves after every enemy turns, but don't know if that's the same in this case?

I have been wondering about this even for my Ironman game - I always save whilst out on mission because I haven't found another place to do it (unless every action you do in base is another save point?)
  • agparrot 20 Nov 2012 16:25:35 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can definitely save at the base.

Sometimes it tells you it can't save because the globe is spinning for an autosave. Or possibly if you're actually at the point where you have to choose between abduction missions, but quitting out at this point will (probably) go back to the autosave prior to the abductions starting.

When there's nothing going on at base though, you can defo save with the start button, provided there is no spinning globe of autosave.

edit: You can see when the game is autosaving at base, because of the spinning bottom-right globe. This will show you where it is autosaving even in ironman - usually after you've done promotions post-mission and gone back to the antfarm, iirc.

Edited by agparrot at 16:26:36 20-11-2012
  • Deleted user 20 November 2012 16:27:59
    Mr_Sleep wrote:

I was meaning to post about my one real core disappointment with XCom and that is that in the original series' there was quite a focus on the interceptors and shooting down UFOs; on my current classic I have firestorm's on every continent with plasma cannons and I think I've shot down two UFOs in the the last two months. I find it annoying that the UFOs after a certain point seem to be used exclusively for plot reasonsn!
    Yeah, I had a few to try and deal with early, now I have a badass air force I haven't had one for months. :(
  • LeoliansBro 20 Nov 2012 19:33:07 43,291 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Classic Ironman beaten. Who wants to touch me?

I SAID WHO WANTS TO TOUCH ME?

• El_MUERkO 20 Nov 2012 21:30:18 16,956 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

/touches

oooOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Salaman 20 Nov 2012 21:34:50 18,887 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    asphaltcowboy wrote:
    Without autosave on, when you're at the base you just hit escape, select save and double click. Game saved.
    If you're on a mission you hit F10 (PC default) and it quicksaves.
    Then the game autosaves in between.
  • Mr_Sleep 20 Nov 2012 22:15:18 16,854 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Good work that man.

• PenguinJim 21 Nov 2012 09:41:26 5,764 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    Right, I am really starting to dislike this game actively after switching to classic difficulty. Pluses are that groups of aliens now seem to roam the map, that is a huge deal since it makes this much less of a turn based corridor shooter.

Major, major minus is that aliens have obvious bonuses to critical hits and aim. A single sectoid took out three of my guys in full cover over half the map, over three turns and got a critical hit every time. A single lone UFO commander alien murdered a full strikeforce of uninjured characters with non-stop crits and hits in cover.
    I swallowed that.

Every single hit on the next mission was a crit, every single shot was a hit, my guys were always in cover and never flanked.

This makes the game blow donkey balls imho since coherent teams, covering fire etc now count for very little. Sure it ups your odds a bit, but..

I really wish there were modifiers selectable to avoid this. Partial cover is a joke as it is. Full cover is always blown away in one hit, followed by a crit.
    I got about seven hours in at the office today on Classic, and I think I can see where you're going wrong.

The shield icons that indicate cover? RED IS BAD!

I'd expected to have this game finished by now. I've only just finished building the Psilab and Gollopogus, though. I also still haven't encountered the Snakemen, although the achievement for completing every autopsy suggests they'll be DLC. :mad:

Oh, and I love Plasma Snipers! \o/ I wasn't convinced by the Heavy Plasma (compared to the Heavy Laser, it seems to miss a lot..?), but I just had a Colonel take out a Sectopod in a single double-tap. :D
  • Deleted user 21 November 2012 10:05:15
    Noooooooo teal c dead. Only two remain from the original squad. Looking forward to trying classic, normal been a fun challenge. Found it just about right as I learn the best tactics to use, feel I've been slowly improving as I go. Think I nailed the base strategy first time though, had no issues, no lost satellites. Kind of luckily picked the right stuff to research and buy.
    A levelled up sniper is a bit too powerful for my liking.
  • Deleted user 21 November 2012 10:07:59
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Congrats :D

Since the patch I'm really struggling to make it out of month 2. Started a new CI game last night and on the very first mission I encountered Sectoids who appeared out of nowhere (no encounter animation they just ran forward and shot me) and immediately killed 2 guys causing the rest of the squad to panic and shoot at each other.

Fastest restart ever.
  • L_Franko Moderator 21 Nov 2012 10:12:26 9,694 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

That is damn fine work.
  • RedSparrows 21 Nov 2012 10:32:17 22,088 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pfft, that was completed weeks ago

Impossible is where it's at.*

*at being in a pit of despair.
  • asphaltcowboy 21 Nov 2012 10:43:03 5,138 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    asphaltcowboy wrote:
    Without autosave on, when you're at the base you just hit escape, select save and double click. Game saved.
    If you're on a mission you hit F10 (PC default) and it quicksaves.
    Then the game autosaves in between.
    Cheers, am on 360 though!
  • L_Franko Moderator 21 Nov 2012 10:46:18 9,694 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @asphaltcowboy

When you are not doing Ironman and on the 360 you can save when at the base from the start menu and also anytime during a mission.
    When at the base you can scan for a mission back up then save or you can even fly to the destination of the mission, fly back if you forgot something and then save at the base again without any problems.
  • asphaltcowboy 21 Nov 2012 10:47:42 5,138 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @L_Franko Alright, cheers dude!
  • Page

of 126 First / Last