of 130 First / Last

• L_Franko Moderator 16 Nov 2012 14:53:56 9,694 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You sold it! Madness.
  • LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 15:05:17 44,570 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seconded. Betcha you'd have got a better price from the chap on the previous page :)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• angerisagift 16 Nov 2012 16:30:03 1,947 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    14.95 delivered from Zavvi for PC buy it!

XBL GT: C0keMachineGl0w
    PSN ID: StarrySummerSky

• Moot_Point 16 Nov 2012 17:50:14 4,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    angerisagift wrote:
    14.95 delivered from Zavvi for PC buy it!
    If anyone has waited for this amount of time before buying XCON, they may as well wait for the GotY edition.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Moot_Point 16 Nov 2012 17:50:48 4,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Might be playable and bugs fixed by then too. ;)

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Popzeus 16 Nov 2012 18:54:01 8,389 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would give a kidney for a Vita port of this. It's great but I haven't got nearly enough time to play it as much as I'd like.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Deleted user 16 November 2012 19:13:35
    everyone infatuated with GOTY editions, only a handful of games get a GOTY release. Xcom wont be one.
    I dont see the appeal, Borderlands 2 will have a goty edition, it will be 40, meanwhile right now I can buy it for 20 and pick and choose the best DLC for it. I get to play it now and not in a year and it will in total probably still cost less than 40
  • Deleted user 17 November 2012 08:09:31
    Is it just me or does XCOM feel far harder / buggy as hell since the patch (360)?

I've been getting shot through walls and closed doors, the flanking hit %age seems way off and even aliens moving and shooting you when you first discover them (they never used to shoot, just run).

Oh, and I even saw a Sectoid moving 3 times on the same move. Ran forward, saw me, turned around and did a HUGE run backwards out of sight, the distance you can generally dash in 1 move.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2012 08:52:54
    Noticed shooting through walls before patch. Twice on base mission I was hit when in a different room. The move thing I have had after patch. An alien did three moves in one turn. Cheating bastards.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2012 09:01:03
    I don't mind my guys getting killed for something stupid or overly agressive that I've done, but there have been a few too many 'cheaty' AI moves since the patch I feel that have resulted in squad wipes.

Maybe I just suck though...
  • thelzdking 18 Nov 2012 01:20:20 4,378 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The aliens appearing out of nowhere thing has only happened to me since the patch.
  • Bremenacht 18 Nov 2012 13:13:33 18,793 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is the 'three move' thing where an encounter is triggered during the alien turn, resulting in the encounter move (same as you'd get during your turn) followed by their normal two-part turn? I think that's normal.

The LoS stuff looks just the same as it did before. On the plus side, it means you can shoot through vans, statues, bridges etc too. Oddly, on rounded surfaces (UFOs), I'll often get LoS but the shot will be consistantly blocked, whereas in the Alien Base shooting through rock is normal.

I've had less problems, but I think that's 'cos I play more cautiously - anticipating getting fucked over.
  • Deleted user 18 November 2012 13:18:13
    @Bremenacht - my (admittedly only 1) instance was on an already triggered Sectoid and I was Hunkered Down. The Sectoid walked up to my guy, saw him then backed off 2 full moves completely out of my sight. Nothing more than a pure cheat tbh.

I was watching a TwitchTV stream yesterday and exactly the same happened to the guy I was watching so there's captured footage of it happening now too!

edit:

http://www.twitch.tv/maddjinn/b/340428958
    watch from 25mins onwards

Edited by Ironlungs76 at 13:34:03 18-11-2012
  • Khanivor 18 Nov 2012 15:13:52 40,962 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ever since the patch, (PC) I've been having glitches and bugs. I've also experienced teleporting enemies for the first time. A few times in the same mission.

Patches are supposed to fix things, not break them!
  • Deleted user 18 November 2012 16:12:16
    Noooooooo just lost a major and colonel in one mission, both of my ranked support class. Sad day, thankfully Samantha "beast" Carter killed the culprits.
    On the verge of losing Brazil, it does seem to randomly just to panic sometimes. I have a satellite over Brazil but no activity, now full bar????
    Glad almost from the start I had stealth satellites as never lost one.
  • Mikeeeboy1 18 Nov 2012 18:35:00 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Have to say even with a few bugs this is still my game of the year.
    But I love strategy games so maybe not everyone's cup of tea.
  • docrob 18 Nov 2012 23:30:37 299 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Classic/Ironman just went tits up for me. Didn't take long. It had been going slowly but OK - had lost quite a few soldiers (including Assault Corporal Ewan McGregor) but was hanging in there. Next mission was the 'defuse the bomb' one. Did a textbook job on the defusing, only losing one Rookie. Then the game drops in three Thin Men. My Sniper Sergeant (5 missions/10 kills) gets a hit on one but not a kill. My other Rookie gets a hit on another but not a kill. My Heavy Corporal misses his 50/50 shot. The Thin Men promptly crit my Sergeant (who is in full cover) - dead. My Corporal is down to 1 health. My Rookie panics. One turn later, it's a wipe.

Don't think I'm coming back from this, and TBH I think I'll be playing something else for a while.
  • FutileResistor 18 Nov 2012 23:43:15 1,238 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    S2: Silent Storm Gold Edition is currently on sale at GOG for $3.99.

Classic WW2 turn-based squad tactics game. As good as Xcom and Jagged Alliance 2 in my book.
  • Salaman 19 Nov 2012 08:37:40 19,312 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aaaah. I stupidly installed the demo last week and thought it might be a good idea to give it a go last night.
    So with the usual composure and self restraint, I went to buy the full game straight away and blew off volleyball to keep playing (it just finished downloading as I was supposed to leave).

Did OK-ish so far but I've now got into a situation where massive panic is causing a few nations to leave the ...euh... whatever it is we are.
    The main problem was a UFO over Russia, where I happen to have a satellite and in the hangar screen it says I have a interceptor plane in Asia but it still said I had nothing close by to go and intercept.
    Bollocks. :-(

I'm not sure whether I should restart or try to go back a few saves in the hopes of rectifying it or if I could even blunder onwards and it'll work out. I have a suspicion I'm screwed though as I'll have a lot less funds. I'm not all that familiar with strategy games though.
  • LeoliansBro 19 Nov 2012 08:43:16 44,570 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You need to buy and transfer your interceptors round the globe - you need one in Europe to get at the UFO over Russia.

• SirScratchalot 19 Nov 2012 08:49:13 7,877 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finsished this on my first playthrough (Iron Man, Normal) and it whetted my appetite but did notsate it so I've sprung 20 for Xenonauts as well.
    I loved it really, but some things annoyed the hell out of me.. The cinematic reveals of groups of Aliens that then get to move into previously scouted areas during MY TURN and who never ever seem to move unless I discover them. That felt downright weak.

Some of the later missions Aliens actually seemed to act in spite of me not having seen them but at this point the game was one or two missions from being over.
  • Salaman 19 Nov 2012 08:55:47 19,312 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    You need to buy and transfer your interceptors round the globe - you need one in Europe to get at the UFO over Russia.
    Aah silly me. I assumed Russia = Asia.
    I had to reload my game earlier because I didn't have an interceptor over the US and it knocked my satellite out of the sky. That was my cue for my first visit to the hangar. =)
  • LeoliansBro 19 Nov 2012 09:36:00 44,570 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For anyone who was wondering, I had to back out of the solo mission. My heavy had taken down two mutons and two sectoid commanders but them a whole host of nasty came charging out of the woods and it was the right moment to double-time it back to the Skyranger. I'll get them next time.

• RedSparrows 19 Nov 2012 10:29:45 23,446 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Aah silly me. I assumed Russia = Asia.
    THE ETERNAL QUESTION!!!!

sorry
  • Salaman 19 Nov 2012 10:45:55 19,312 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    it was the right moment to double-time it back to the Skyranger. I'll get them next time.
    You can go back to the Skyranger and retreat out of the fight? I didn't realise. Dived straight in after the tutorial mission. I guess there'll be plenty of stuff I discover as I go along. Useful to read up on here some. I should go delve through the early pages of this thread for some useful info first maybe.
  • LeoliansBro 19 Nov 2012 10:55:12 44,570 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah there's a blue rectangle next to the Skyranger - if you have one of more soldiers in there you're given the option of aborting at the end of your turns. Note that only the soldiers in the rectangle will make it out - anyone in the wider map when you abort will be lost.

• Deleted user 19 November 2012 11:00:47
    @Salaman

A useful tip to bear in mind is that hired soldiers via the barracks (that cost $15 per) have more health than the default rosta of 12 soldiers you start with. Admittedly you have to pay for them and they take 3 days to arrive but you will need to hire some at some point no doubt...

Also, starting via the tutorial isn't the best idea in the long run. You get a free Officer Training School but moreoften than not you'll want to build that yourself later in the game as you get to chose exactly where to build it. The top left of the "ant-farm" I personally find far more useful for satellite uplinks and the right side for OTS, Foundry, Alien Containment etc (and also depends on your Steam vent positions too).
  • Salaman 19 Nov 2012 11:22:05 19,312 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I found the "hiring" option after I lost 1 soldier in each of my first two missions but I have been slapping developments into the complex at random and I realise that's probably a bad idea in the long run since I noticed there's mention of "adjacent to" bonuses. I'll go read up a bit if I can find some time.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last