XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 83

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• Deleted user 15 November 2012 17:01:32
    Lost my first country. Still not failed a mission though ( although the base assault would have failed without several re loads.).
    Samantha the beast carter now 23 missions deep with 61 kills!
  • LeoliansBro 15 Nov 2012 17:12:41 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My game has really come on since I've boxed a bit clever with the overall strategy. You have to consider the entire continent of an ignored abduction, as panic increases in every country. And this needs balancing against their income, your coverage etc etc.

Basically what I'm saying is fuck Africa.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 15 November 2012 17:29:03
    Yeah I lost Nigeria as Russia had more
    to offer me when it came down to it.

Not sure yet how important it is but now have nine satellites up, 5 ravens and 3 advanced interceptors(can't remember their name). Of course I just had a giant UFO fly over the country with my only weak interceptor.
  • Deleted user 15 November 2012 22:46:54
    Want to play mp sometime soon.
    Pm me if you want a game. (on Xbox)
  • Bremenacht 16 Nov 2012 00:34:41 15,753 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    Yeah I lost Nigeria as Russia had more
    to offer me when it came down to it.
    Try and think more in terms of what choice will lose you less when selecting abductions, although given what you say next..

Not sure yet how important it is but now have nine satellites up, 5 ravens and 3 advanced interceptors(can't remember their name). Of course I just had a giant UFO fly over the country with my only weak interceptor.
    ..I don't think you need worry. The game gets to a point where you can just keep responding to abductions/UFOs etc until you choose to jump to the endgame, so you'll get the chance to attack all the different UFOs.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• robc84 16 Nov 2012 13:07:06 4,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ok, question. My support major was bleeding out, so I used a medkit to stabilise. Unfortunately, I am now out of medkits to 'revive' her. If I complete the mission, do I lose her, or does she come back alive?
  • LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 13:09:42 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    if you win, she'll be fine (but gravely injured). Explosions or stray shots can still kill her whie the mission is ongoing though.

I do miss the ability to target scenery with weapons fire, I have to say.

• robc84 16 Nov 2012 13:15:41 4,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thats good news! I think I can complete the mission without her, but she is sitting on my only 3 medkits!!

Also, how hard is the base assault? Things are going well at the moment but a squad wipe of my best soldiers could be a real problem. I am trying to build up a decent 'B' Team just in case, but I am conscious that the more research I do and the more powerful my soldiers become, the more powerful aliens I am likely to encounter on the base assault.

I just want to go in prepared!!
  • LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 13:18:05 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can't walk away from a base assault, so there's the real risk. It's tough, you'll need your strongest team and there'd better be some colonels in there. Plus if anyone is using equipment from the start of the game, I'd hold off.

Oh, and one thing I'll spoiler: HEAT ammo is going to be very important. Although enemies are semi-random.

• robc84 16 Nov 2012 13:26:42 4,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well I have titan armour, plasma rifles and am currently researching plasma snipers. I think the only equipment I have from the start of the game is frag grenades.

I have 2 heavies with heat ammo. Maybe I'll take them both. I currently only have 1 sniper colonel. I have a few majors though (1 assault, 1 sniper and 1 support I think). Maybe I'll do a few more missions and try to build a better squad and a backup squad just in case the worse happens!

I assume you can try again if you fail the base assault? Or is it just straight game over?
  • LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 13:35:48 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You'll boss it. But be careful.

• Commander Keen 16 Nov 2012 13:38:00 718 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A sniper with a plasma and in archangel armour wouldn't hurt either, but agree with @LeonliansBro that you'll be fine!
  • robc84 16 Nov 2012 13:39:30 4,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think once everyone is fit and ready I'll head in.

Dont worry XCOM has taught me to be careful. The hard way. Many times!
  • LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 13:42:09 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, great game.

• L_Franko Moderator 16 Nov 2012 13:45:46 9,686 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    May have to put some time into this tonight, I have ignored it for over a week because of my current addiction to buying new games.
  • Deleted user 16 November 2012 13:50:16
    I di'd base assault WAY too early. So lost 5 soldiers and took me 90 mins and about a dozen reloads to blag my way through it.
  • LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 13:52:24 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wiped on Normal Ironman and smashed it on Classic. Knowing what to expect really helps...

Yeah, going to give this a few hours of my evening. Which will be spent dancing around with my single heavy trying to take down those fucking Elite Mutons for my UFO solo achievement.

• L_Franko Moderator 16 Nov 2012 13:54:13 9,686 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh yeah, I was going to ask how you were getting on with that achievement.
  • 1Dgaf 16 Nov 2012 13:55:01 3,775 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did the patches make any difference to bugs etc?

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 13:58:57 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    The damage reduction from cover perk is a lifesaver, but I'm Benny Hilling it around the map, relying on reaction fire followed by two shots to kill individual Mutons who chase me. On half health and wish my heavy had a medikit instead of two grenades. Still have all three rockets, saving them for the UFO.

• Deleted user 16 November 2012 13:59:01
    I have had no bugs in 15 or more hours after patch but I didn't get any bad ones before.
  • LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 14:00:45 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    yeah, I haven't seen anything aside from a couple of teleports when I load up the game mid-battle. I'm almost certain they come from that, and that if you play through a mission in one go you won't get them.

• L_Franko Moderator 16 Nov 2012 14:11:17 9,686 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    L_Franko wrote:
    The damage reduction from cover perk is a lifesaver, but I'm Benny Hilling it around the map, relying on reaction fire followed by two shots to kill individual Mutons who chase me. On half health and wish my heavy had a medikit instead of two grenades. Still have all three rockets, saving them for the UFO.
    Good luck with it, sounds quite brutal.
    My current game is quite new so no fancy tech yet. I'm wondering if it might be easier early on with basic enemy types?
  • LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 14:14:28 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That was my thinking too. Trouble is I'm on Ironman and so have to live with it.

• Deleted user 16 November 2012 14:25:52
    You ironman players are sadistic, I have zero interest in having to start all over again because of a few mistakes. All about multiple saves ").
    I know it removes tension but I really don't have time to re start campaigns.
    Doing a normal play through then classic.
  • LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 14:28:48 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    On the flipside, on Ironman your soldiers ... behave differently. I swear they do their own things, I'm cursing at the screen 'WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GO AND BE SO BRAVE', cheering when the rookie stands up at the end of a turn and makes the shot, shouting 'NOOO' as I watch my assault burst into a wall of reaction fire and 'YESSSS' when I see him come out the other side untouched because he's so GODDAMN BADASS.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 14:29:45 16-11-2012

• robc84 16 Nov 2012 14:30:34 4,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ironman seemed like a good idea at the start. But now I am a fair way in and going for the base assault I'm wondering whether I made a mistake!!

Although when I do complete I think I will have more satisfaction than if I had reloads as a back up!
  • rudedudejude 16 Nov 2012 14:35:05 2,100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, I've been to get it twice and shops have been sold out so... :(
  • Deleted user 16 November 2012 14:37:47
    Keep trying. I eventually got it in game (for a beautiful price) but it was sold out on my first three checks. Pitiful stocks and supermarkets didn't even bother stocking it.
    Poor show by 2k games.
  • Page

of 126 First / Last