XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 77

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• YenRug 2 Nov 2012 14:50:33 1,752 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Picked this up yesterday, as far as I can tell, I think I'm still somewhere in the tutorial on Normal playthrough. I'm curious about what "easter eggs" people have come across, as I was surprised by one last night.

I was in the Situation Room when one of the random voiceover/communication segments came out with this:

"We've been getting crank calls from an Ed Straker, he keeps on raving about shadow people."

A classic call out to the Gerry Anderson series, UFO, where the lead character Ed Straker was in charge of SHADO, an alien defense organisation.
  • IJ 2 Nov 2012 14:50:51 741 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I didn't actually realise that oversight gave an aim penalty. That would explain why my team miss all the time! Do we know what it is?
  • phAge 2 Nov 2012 15:08:23 24,280 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Woo! Just won an MP game after being thoroughly murdered, by using my Sectoid Commander (last man/alien standing) to mind control my opponents Assault into gunning down his high-level Heavy, after a few rounds of pretty intense hide-and-seek.

Haven't dared play a ranked game yet, though.
  • docrob 2 Nov 2012 15:10:02 277 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think I may have hit saturation point on this the other night. I started a mission and realised I just wasn't feeling it any more. Cue a careless approach and multiple deaths (I'm on Normal, so I haven't had that many). Fortunately I haven't been playing on Ironman, so all not lost, but I think I need to give it a rest for a while. Time to play Dishonored, perhaps.
  • agparrot 2 Nov 2012 15:22:17 11,903 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    IJ wrote:
    I didn't actually realise that oversight gave an aim penalty. That would explain why my team miss all the time! Do we know what it is?
    I actually don't know - I read about this when I watched my chum playing with the tutorial on the other day.

This forum post on the official forums says 10%, which would mean that a Snapshot sniper who had moved before overwatch was receiving a total -30% modifier (!) if anything popped into view.

Have been tinkering with the Tactical Sense perk, coupled with smoke grenades - when confronted with lots of enemies, trying to get my Assaults out front, in cover, hunkered down if necessary and covered in smoke as a way to give me time to bring up Heavies, get snipers into decent LOS positions or have my Support troops running away and hiding, as they often get made priority targets by the aliens. There is a clear reduction in the number of times you get hit with smoke deployed, but I'm not sure it's any better than Suppression for choking off the effectiveness of things like 'pods and 'discs. Also, the alternative skill to dual smoke grenades is triple medkits, which seems an upgrade much too valuable to squander.
  • agparrot 2 Nov 2012 15:31:10 11,903 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Woo! Just won an MP game after being thoroughly murdered, by using my Sectoid Commander (last man/alien standing) to mind control my opponents Assault into gunning down his high-level Heavy, after a few rounds of pretty intense hide-and-seek.

Haven't dared play a ranked game yet, though.
    Nice!

I discovered the other night that unlike in the SP, if your enemy only has one unit left, and you mind-control it in the multiplayer, then you win!
  • phAge 2 Nov 2012 15:46:17 24,280 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks like it - I was already thinking of ways to get rid of the remaining Assault when the win/lose-screen appeared.

I think I need to reevaluate my squad, though - my two Rookies with Light Plasma Rifles die way too easy, and the low-level Heavy isn't dishing out enough pain to be worth it. Alternatively I should try and stick with my gameplan of drawing my enemy intop a long-range battle - with Light Plasma Rifle and S.C.O.P.E. even Rookies have an Aim of around 100.
  • agparrot 2 Nov 2012 16:03:41 11,903 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I haven't in the least settled into having a regular squad shape - not only do I keep chopping and changing points limit, but a lot of the time I just bundle a load of stuff together, like... how would a squad containing a Sectoid Commander, three sectoids, a Chrysalid and um, some other dude fare?

The Greater Mind Meld thing is quite good fun, it's a permanently active version of the Sectoid buff that runs between the Commander and all Sectoids. I did manage to finally kills somebody with the Chrysalid, but before the zombiefication (if this even happens in MP?) I had the game won.

Have they changed the price of Cyberdiscs in the MP? I could've sworn they were 4850 originally, but they seem to be 5500 now. Even with that change, the limited value of Chrysalids means that they seem quite expensive at 3000 in my opinion, although this might just be because I haven't managed to zombify yet.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Nov 2012 16:22:40 41,863 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Points are dynamic and change based on global usage.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• richardiox 2 Nov 2012 16:41:45 5,413 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Quick question - when I'm scanning for a mission and one is detected, if I decide not to accept it does it re-scan? The game doesn't me much opportunity to look after heavily under threat continents where panic rating is going through the roof - wondered if that's because I've always just accepted the first mission it's given me?
  • Bremenacht 2 Nov 2012 17:01:58 15,741 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can carry on, but I'm not sure if that's what you're asking. If you don't accept a mission, panic will go up in that country or continent.

I tried delaying a mission on CI last night and it went straight to panic as soon as I started scanning again. I turned off immediately..

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• richardiox 2 Nov 2012 17:10:59 5,413 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It only seems to give me missions in areas of relatively low panic, wondered if I declined if it would cycle through to another continent but I guess not.
  • IJ 2 Nov 2012 17:18:20 741 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    IJ wrote:
    I actually don't know - I read about this when I watched my chum playing with the tutorial on the other day.

This forum post on the official forums says 10%, which would mean that a Snapshot sniper who had moved before overwatch was receiving a total -30% modifier (!) if anything popped into view.

Have been tinkering with the Tactical Sense perk, coupled with smoke grenades - when confronted with lots of enemies, trying to get my Assaults out front, in cover, hunkered down if necessary and covered in smoke as a way to give me time to bring up Heavies, get snipers into decent LOS positions or have my Support troops running away and hiding, as they often get made priority targets by the aliens. There is a clear reduction in the number of times you get hit with smoke deployed, but I'm not sure it's any better than Suppression for choking off the effectiveness of things like 'pods and 'discs. Also, the alternative skill to dual smoke grenades is triple medkits, which seems an upgrade much too valuable to squander.

For me there are two types of support. One is a medic, you use sprinter perk so they can hang back and quickly get to the injured on the front line, medic for 3x medkit, revive perk, and then Savior .

Then there is a support class to control the battle field, where you pick pretty much the opposite of all those. Then you can control enemies with supression, fire at an enemy before they fire on your team with covering fire and you have two smoke grenades etc.

I don't think mixing the two makes much sense.

Regarding your playing with the forward assault it should work in theory. If you have an assault with a base defence of say 40 (I cant remember what a normal defense stat is). Then full cover is +40, tactical sense two enemies is +10, hunkered down is what, +20? That's +110 defence, so the alien would need an aim of +120 to have a 10% chance to hit you, which is almost impossible to have.
  • tincanrocket 2 Nov 2012 17:56:19 2,830 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd like to see them add some more options to deal with handling panic at a country level so you aren't railroaded into having to buy so many satellites in the early game. Stationing fighters in countries should reduce panic and so on. They could even add in a whole new branch of XCOM - PR executives who act as agents you can send on non-interactive missions to countries to work on panic reduction and stuff e.g. you send them off to Argentina for a week and there's a chance they will persuade the people to remain calm, or equally they might screw up and increase panic levels.

Edit: or, you could send one of your top soldiers off to do some PR, losing them for use in missions, but adding their clout (and medals) to the PR effort. They're missing a trick with not having this side of 'the war' modelled in more detail - DLC perhaps ("The pen is mightier than the sword DLC") ? Option for new buildings such as a Propaganda department and so on?

More editing: I'd also like to see a chance to bring countries that have left back into the fold, either through diplomacy/PR, them asking to rejoin if you have a few months of regular successes, or perhaps a random events such as rebels taking over the government and requesting they be allowed to rejoin the XCOM initiative.

Love the game as it is, but I'd love a beefed up version even more, although it would be a fine line to maintain the balance they've achieved as things stand.

Edited by tincanrocket at 18:06:40 02-11-2012
  • LeoliansBro 2 Nov 2012 18:39:03 41,863 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PR is a bit difficult to align with the 'secret' nature if XCOM, but I'm totally with you on bringing countries back again. Maybe with a country specific 'assault the palace/kremlin/white house/seat of government' mission where you can either kill the head of state (get the country back) or rescue him (random alien tech as a reward).

• Bremenacht 2 Nov 2012 18:44:41 15,741 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And having your base assaulted - I'd like to see that in any DLC. No idea how they'd do it now though, what with the ant-farm design.

Seems to be a Gollop revival going on - y'all seen the 'Chaos' news?

• krushing 3 Nov 2012 14:16:35 776 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What an oddly unfortunate base assault I had. My trusted heavy colonel runs into three chryssalids (the only ones, as it turns out) on his *first* turn, they obviously take their free move towards him and eat him alive on the next - nothing to be done there. The next group consists of three puny mutons - yet one of them manages a lucky reaction shot which takes out another of my squad. No less than three cyberdiscs hang about, but these and the sectoid commander go down without giving any trouble (other than one of the discs blasting one more of my squad into oblivion). So - the *actual* threats didn't do shit; two of the discs didn't even get a single shot off, while the "easy" targets did all the damage. Still, a win's a win.
  • AaronTurner 3 Nov 2012 15:10:57 7,521 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm pretty gutted, just lost my colonel support after I missed an 85% and an 87% shot on an injured chrissalid in the same turn. That's some shit luck.
  • AaronTurner 3 Nov 2012 15:12:03 7,521 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He was my only psi ops soldier too, just realised.

Tits.
  • espibara 3 Nov 2012 17:11:54 4,155 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Suddenly finding I'm not enjoying this anymore after originally loving it
  • Jeepers 3 Nov 2012 17:35:02 13,158 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    End(?)game question ahead:
    I've just built the Gollop Chamber and built my PSI armour. When I activated the chamber it gave me a warning about soldiers who are healing not being usable after the activation; I'm assuming this is some point of no return.

My question is - how much game is there after this event? If it's only one or two, I can leave my one soldier having a well-earned rest in hospital whilst the rest of the team piss off to save the world. If it's more, I'll wait 'til he's back on his feet before triggering the event.

Ta.
  • RedSparrows 3 Nov 2012 17:46:47 20,747 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's the big showdown.
  • Trafford 3 Nov 2012 17:46:59 5,269 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Heavy losses this afternoon. Think it's time to break out the easter eggs.
  • Ranger_Ryu 3 Nov 2012 17:52:32 972 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    just got the game today,looking forward to starting it.
  • agparrot 3 Nov 2012 17:54:55 11,903 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Jeepers

Spoilers ahoy, you are entering the proper endgame, after which there is no more game, so there isn't anything else to play beyond the point of no return.

I am compiling a list of things that are broken. Not in an OMG BROKEN kind of way, but in a rational manner where I can (eugh) visit the official forums with them, or try and find someone I can email about them. There are quite a few little issues really, not least with the multiplayer, where, although what there is of it is quite fun, there are a bunch of minor technical problems like the red 'enemy' markers not showing up on-screen even when you can see enemies, and accessing the actions menu brings them up to aim at, and where the structure of games, lobbies and so on is all a bit... naive, or something. Quite basic.

Have also started noticing more little errors in my second C/I playthrough - after exploderising things, the game seems to lose the maximum-move distance borders, and stuff like that. I've not had too much trouble with teleporting, but obviously it is an issue, and I think overall the structure of the story-based thing means you need to 'pause' the progression yourself if you want to get the kind of mileage out of the game in terms of number of battles as the original. In fact I think that even on C/I, once you have all the satellites up, it's actually a bit too easy in the strategic layer, with long distances between missions meaning that rarely do injuries or damaged interception craft any longer cause you any actual problems. Post Alien Base it seems much too easy to manage everything really, and the transition from almost being unable to quell the abductions, to having your defence of the earth go mostly unchallenged, is a bit binary-feeling after the gradual improvements in global security made in the first game.

I'm still enjoying all the battles, though, and the multiplayer does offer a good way to find games that can be much more surprising and challenging than much of the SP stuff.
  • AaronTurner 4 Nov 2012 11:31:02 7,521 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished Classic. Last room was pretty damn easy really.

I see now where that stat about lost missions comes from, it clearly doesn't include all the aborted missions from other games. I think in Classic mode very few people would recover from a failed mission so it makes sense to me. Saying that some of the stats are clearly rubbish. Apparently the average number of engineers is 230009.47 and the average score is 20x the one I got even though I beat the game in less time than the average.
  • Bremenacht 4 Nov 2012 13:21:37 15,741 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Another weird bug for me. I'd just had a wipe out at the building site (being repeatedly shot and killed in full cover from across the map is very annoying) and turned off in disgust. Turned on again, deleted the save (too much red in the situation room) and started a new CI with the tutorial on.

For the very first abduction mission, just two options were displayed. I tried backing out to the ant-farm screen but the game wouldn't let me - presumably because it was still in 'tutorial mode' and it'd break the script. However, I couldn't actually select a mission either. So, back to xbox home and restarted the game. This time, three missions were displayed, two of which were the same level - Houston. Again, I couldn't select anything or back out.

This time, it was back to xbox home, deleted all local content and reinstalled.

One other other thing, regarding the armour DLC.On my first playthough (NI) I could get some different armour, but now I can get nothing at all. Just the two basic armour sets. I don't get any special rookie or any other customisations either. Anyone else get this?

• phAge 4 Nov 2012 13:53:54 24,280 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just had a 10000 pt. game against a bloke who fielded 2 Sectoids, a Thin Man and a +7000 pt. fully tooled up Plasma Sniper.

I started by claiming the roof of the main building where, as I found out, he'd hidden his cloaked übersniper.

He immediately doubletapped both my Assaults, with me killing his Thin Man and one of the Sectoids with overwatch fire - which left me with a 65% chance to Mind Control the sniper. It worked, and I won, but left me wondering if snipers aren't overpowered in MP - even a relatively cheap one will usually take out at least 1 enemy per turn - more with doubletap.

Come to think of it, Sectoid Commanders are probably also a bit on the cheap side - a well-played Mind Control is often a gamewinner.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Nov 2012 14:17:45 41,863 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ...and that's another wipe.

3200 for a Sectoid Commander seems bargainous, and don't forget they come with a grenade as well. I've won a few ranked games with three and a bullet sponge sectoid to make up the points. On the other hand, if your opponent shows up with a Cyberdisc, or sees you first, you're ultrafucked. Pretty much your classic glass cannon IMO.

Cloaked armour on an assault seems to be my major multiplayer bugbear.

• phAge 4 Nov 2012 14:21:41 24,280 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a bit of a shame that you can't save different squads, so you can experiment without deleting your go-to setup.

On another note: that perk which increases Suppression and rocket area of effect is an absolute beast - just wiped out half en enemy team in a single shot, and they weren't bunched up at all.
  • Page

of 126 First / Last