XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 75

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• Saucy 1 Nov 2012 15:12:18 2,610 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    ....your soldiers will be goddamn heroes.
    Assualt Col. Matt 'Blitz' Cox, longest serving veteran with over 50 missions completed. Single handedly saved Xcom (and hence the whole earth) many times. I don't think I've ever been so attached a character.

Edited by SaucyGeoff at 15:18:39 01-11-2012
  • LeoliansBro 1 Nov 2012 15:16:45 44,717 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hear that. Mark 'Homefront' Jackson, an almost unbelievable sniper, to the point where he'd make the shot for me, and percentages be damned! Killed by his need to play with his new toys. Skeleton Armour is amazing, right up until it isn't.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• 1Dgaf 1 Nov 2012 15:19:27 3,911 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

I'd say Ironman is the baseline, without it you're playing with stabilisers. You'll be fine coming fresh to Normal Ironman, and your soldiers will be goddamn heroes.

Iron man is the baseline. But the game is also buggy. The bugs may be rare, but with only one save they can have significant consequences.

When I lose because of my bad decisions, that's one thing. But being cheated out of a chance feels quite different.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• glo 1 Nov 2012 15:24:42 3,434 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    my risk-averse nature re bugs ruining my only save tells me to leave ironman off and use willpower to avoid constant reloading.

Will try ironman once a patch is out.
  • LeoliansBro 1 Nov 2012 15:25:26 44,717 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OK, huddle close. I beat Normal Ironman on Tuesday afternoon, having started on Sunday morning. I know there are bugs, but they are rare, overblown, and (as with all these things) you only hear about the handful of disasters, because nobody stops to talk about the millions of examples of the game working fine.

This is the first game in a decade where I've had to take a proper, gutpunch sickening defeat on the chin. You won't get that if you can just reload. And when you win, if you win, surely it's better to have won because you were the better man, rather than because you could chop and change and erase your mistakes.

Remember when Shadowrun was briefly, tantalisingly going to come back, and you said you would help me plant that tree. This is that.

• LeoliansBro 1 Nov 2012 15:27:57 44,717 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not sure how you take a gutpunch on the chin, but anyway...

• IJ 1 Nov 2012 15:36:14 843 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You started on Sunday morning and finished yesterday afternoon? You must have played it like a full time job for three days! It takes about 25 hours at least to complete!
  • LeoliansBro 1 Nov 2012 15:39:16 44,717 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep. It was glorious.

• 1Dgaf 1 Nov 2012 15:41:52 3,911 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not sure you ever played Shadowrun again with us.

But anyway, I'm not saying people should reload to correct mistakes they make or bad rolls.

If you play badly and your people die, deal with it. If you get lots of bad luck in a row - constantly missing high percentage shots, being hit with low percentages ones - deal with it.

However, game-affecting bugs shouldn't be considered a normal part of gameplay.

That's the reason to play normal. So that, if a bug happens that fucks up your mission (not a cosmetic bug like guns firing backwards), it won't ruin the game.

That's not against the spirit of Xcom. That's being cautious because the devs didn't do their job properly

• LeoliansBro 1 Nov 2012 15:45:05 44,717 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're right, and I didn't.

It's your call.

• glo 1 Nov 2012 15:58:09 3,434 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ok, I hear what you are both saying. Ironman would be my preference but bugs do worry me. Especially if they are game-breakers in a 25+ hour campaign. Will ponder further on this matter until the actual game is in my hands...

Shadowrun seems like a treasured but distant memory these days. Don't play much competitive online MP these days and usually find it to be more frustrating than fun due to my age-induced reduction in twitch skills, lack of time to practice and too many games to play.
  • AaronTurner 1 Nov 2012 16:03:36 7,831 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    OK, huddle close. I beat Normal Ironman on Tuesday afternoon, having started on Sunday morning. I know there are bugs, but they are rare, overblown, and (as with all these things) you only hear about the handful of disasters, because nobody stops to talk about the millions of examples of the game working fine.

This is the first game in a decade where I've had to take a proper, gutpunch sickening defeat on the chin. You won't get that if you can just reload. And when you win, if you win, surely it's better to have won because you were the better man, rather than because you could chop and change and erase your mistakes.

Remember when Shadowrun was briefly, tantalisingly going to come back, and you said you would help me plant that tree. This is that.
    The bugs aren't overblown at all. In all of my long running saves so far I've had groups of enemies warp into position on me. It can be absolutely devastating on classic, a cyberdisk totally wiped out one of my squads this way. At the moment I would suggest it's a far better experience to play non-Ironman classic mode and show sone restraint in loading save games. Having your 10+ hour game session ruined by a stupid bug is not worth it.
  • AaronTurner 1 Nov 2012 16:06:10 7,831 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And by the way I had on just last night, cyberdisk spawning right in my guys. I reloaded the save to see where he was hidden, the answer is no where near, he was absolutely miles away in the map. Luckily these spawns seem fixable with a reload (sometimes it takes a couple of reloads).

Edited by AaronTurner at 16:07:27 01-11-2012
  • LeoliansBro 1 Nov 2012 16:16:58 44,717 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've seen the teleport thing happen a couple of times, guess I was lucky.

For all the advice and commentary above, you should also note that I'm diabolical at Ironman Classic.

• RedSparrows 1 Nov 2012 16:23:37 23,832 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have completed it twice on Ironman, and never once had a save screwed.

I have had 'teleporting' enemies a couple of times, but I'm not sure that's a bug so much as design gone awry. Shouldn't happen, regardless.
  • AaronTurner 1 Nov 2012 16:25:46 7,831 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's definitely a bug, as I said, I reloaded to find where the cyber disk was, he was no where near the point that he spawned into my guys.
  • Petrarch 1 Nov 2012 17:15:04 3,494 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Only had the teleport bug once so far, a cyberdisc appeared behind my squad out of thin air. Thankfully the team had dispatched everyone on the previous turn and the disc didn't live long enough to do any damage.

Have had the UI crap out a few times and a corrupt save on a Terror mission that forced me to restart.
  • LeoliansBro 1 Nov 2012 17:18:20 44,717 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Like I said, when I first saw the teleport I thought it was the 'next level' of alien tech, as an Elite Muton spawned right behind me.

One more kill for Homefront.

• AaronTurner 1 Nov 2012 17:33:50 7,831 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lol I just got home and turned it on, mutons spawning all over the shot, one looked like it spawned out the backside of another. They seriously need to fix this.
  • agparrot 1 Nov 2012 17:35:28 11,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    And by the way I had on just last night, cyberdisk spawning right in my guys. I reloaded the save to see where he was hidden, the answer is no where near, he was absolutely miles away in the map. Luckily these spawns seem fixable with a reload (sometimes it takes a couple of reloads).
    I've been trying to save whilst not in missions for the most part, but this point about reloading is a good one - I definitely tinkered with it last night, because I saved the night before, somewhere near the beginning of a UFO landing mission, and then when I reloaded it last night, I had visibility of a group of enemies in the Fog Of War - I could see them moving around even though they weren't in line of sight of or within range of anyone. On the Alien turn after that, every single remaining enemy unit all arrived at the same time, which was a bit inconvenient.

When I say inconvenient, I mean it was three muton elites, two sectoid commanders and a twin-muton and Berserker squad.

They killed everyone. Two Majors, two Captains and two squaddies that I'd taken along to try and get them ranked up.

So, the next mission it did this 'everyone turns up' thing, I immediately went back to the dash and reloaded, and it does seem to alter what units are in the fog, and where they are placed in their random appearance algorithm thingy. However, loading a mid-mission save certainly seems to give more 'warping' or appearing stuff, so might try and not save during missions where possible.

Edited by agparrot at 17:37:42 01-11-2012
  • LeoliansBro 1 Nov 2012 17:37:18 44,717 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, intriguing. That would fit with my experience (very very rarely cme back to the game mid-mission).

• AaronTurner 1 Nov 2012 17:46:38 7,831 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well its not going well today, just crashed to desktop!
  • Bremenacht 1 Nov 2012 17:56:36 19,204 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The way I (try to) deal with the teleport thing is by sending a rookie or assault up ahead to trigger the teleport events. For me, it's always been the case that encountering the first clutch of aliens triggers the appearance of subsequent aliens within the first aliens' line of sight.

Backing off for one turn generally helps, but may result in you backing off into the exact location where the 2nd lot of aliens appear.
  • Bremenacht 1 Nov 2012 17:58:00 19,204 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Well its not going well today, just crashed to desktop!
    You seem to have had stinking luck with this game. Maybe best go play something else until the first patch arrives!
  • 1Dgaf 1 Nov 2012 17:58:28 3,911 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think I've ever saved during a mission, even though I'm playing ironman.

• Bremenacht 1 Nov 2012 18:15:38 19,204 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's no need, is there? The game does all your savepoints on ironman?
  • AaronTurner 1 Nov 2012 18:25:57 7,831 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There seems to be a bug on my latest mission where if I kill a drone it crashes the game to desktop.
  • 1Dgaf 1 Nov 2012 18:42:57 3,911 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good point, Brem. I hadn't considered the game was saving during the match - I assumed it just did so at the end.

• AaronTurner 1 Nov 2012 19:20:10 7,831 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right, I don't know whats going on, I'm getting teleporting enemies all the time now.
  • RedSparrows 1 Nov 2012 22:23:41 23,832 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You sound like you have a really borked copy...
  • Page

of 130 First / Last