XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 45

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• agparrot 13 Oct 2012 18:08:09 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Damn - I lost my sniper :-(
    I made the mistake of thinking mine didn't need to be especially armoured, keeping him, as I did, away from the action and giving Heinz 'Zero' Wolff a SCOPE for extra killing using the Squad Sight power.

A floater with a jetpack proved me horribly, expensively wrong in the middle of a dark forest in Germany. 32 kills to his name, and Heinz was downed without ceremony, his corpse left tipped almost upside down against the trunk of a tree.

Alien scumbags!
  • UncleLou Moderator 13 Oct 2012 18:11:10 35,172 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Aye, my first campaign unravelled with me woefully under equipped.

When the first flying disc turned up I new it was close to game over.
    Same here (classic) - I barely lost a man up to this point, but it became clear that I wasn't doing too well on the strategic map. Honestly have no idea how I should do better there, though.
  • jakuande 13 Oct 2012 18:13:57 192 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is great fun: just had my first wipe on normal. I knew I should have waited for the lab to come up with some better guns but everything seemed to be going so well and I couldn't help clicking that shiny "assault enemy base" button...

Almost made it too: took out 14 of the bastards and made it to the (probably) last room with one battered heavy still standing... only to get flanked and shredded by a cyberdisk he had no chance against ; ;
  • AaronTurner 13 Oct 2012 18:17:43 7,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've moved on to classic, quite enjoying it. Made it through a few missions without losing people.
  • fletch7100 13 Oct 2012 18:27:52 6,180 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jedi mind control powers will soon be mine :)

Normal is nice refreshing break from the stress of classic. On normal, yeah I found the alien base, I come back in 2 months. Want to kick more alien arse and buy shiny items. Current terror level is 2 bars every country has a satellite and one bar except Canada and china who left me. The fools

Edited by fletch7100 at 19:14:57 13-10-2012
  • Whizzo 13 Oct 2012 18:39:47 42,765 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decided to start my second campaign on normal/hardcore after my classic failure, mostly so I could learn the tech tree, bloody hell it's so much easier!

This space left intentionally blank.

• agparrot 13 Oct 2012 18:40:59 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lightweights! ;)
  • onestepfromlost 13 Oct 2012 18:46:33 1,966 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bah wish my gf would go on holiday or something i havnt had a chance to play this all weekend!
  • UncleLou Moderator 13 Oct 2012 18:46:50 35,172 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Brick wall. I just can't take on 12+ mutons. :-/
  • Whizzo 13 Oct 2012 18:51:26 42,765 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Playing on normal and having the OTS straight off the bat helps rather a lot, especially when you're getting promotions (and squaddies not dying very often) so much quicker.

It maybe a bit too easy though but I'll keep going.

/still chuckles at "Floater autopsy" and "Interrogate Floater" research projects

Edited by Whizzo at 18:52:38 13-10-2012

This space left intentionally blank.

• onestepfromlost 13 Oct 2012 18:54:24 1,966 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh thats the thing i keep meaning to ask. When i do autopsies or interrgoations it usually says in the report. that for more information use the unit view thingie or something in the field. Anyone know what its talking about? ive tried clicking on aliends in the battlescape. or is it hidden in research reports or something?
  • AaronTurner 13 Oct 2012 19:12:21 7,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it's if you click down on the left thumb stick when targeting them in battle.
  • AaronTurner 13 Oct 2012 19:16:37 7,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, questions:

What's the difference between 'of fence' and 'aim'?

What does the defence stat do?
  • fletch7100 13 Oct 2012 19:26:59 6,180 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Normal is nice and relaxing on the strategic level compared to classic. Constant worry and decisions to make. Dread to think what impossible will be like

First base assault spoilers. Bloody ed 209 and his missiles, knocked my colonel sniper with Titan armour down to one health bar. Luckily he survived the mission. At the end the Base commander mind control my heavy who then chased my sniper round the map
  • w00t 13 Oct 2012 19:37:53 10,976 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sooooo I just realised how important satellites are. Whoops.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• fletch7100 13 Oct 2012 20:35:16 6,180 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Noting beats 5 soldiers on overwatch and a thin man landing in front of then

Just about to raid a landed supply ship

Just waitin for the ambush :)
  • redcrayon 13 Oct 2012 20:45:28 4,538 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My first assault on the alien base ended with the two surviving troops, Col. Sarah 'Daisy' Walker, an assault veteran, and Major Terry 'Cyclops' Badger, an elite sniper, heading into the final room. Col. Walker was on about 10HP, Maj. Badger was on 2HP, and kept watch from the back.

I had no idea what to expect, and neither did the team. Walker is promptly mind controlled and then kills Badger, resulting in her death as the only survivor under alien control.

Oops.

I did cheer when, after losing an interceptor to a huge UFO, it's avenging brother went up with a newly-fitted phoenix cannon and targeting system and splashed the bastard!

So many great moments already- the random nature of most of the developments I can see making it very replayable.

Edited by redcrayon at 20:47:54 13-10-2012
  • TechnoHippy 13 Oct 2012 20:48:54 14,641 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shit just got real. It took two fighters to take down a large UFO over China. Sent all my experienced team in to get the goodies. All was going well, I even stunned one of the Outsiders.

Then a wave of Chrysalids tore the entire team apart.

They died bravely fighting the alien menace.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• AaronTurner 13 Oct 2012 21:35:59 7,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really enjoying classic mode but I have a feeling it's going to kick my arose in one of the next few missions.
  • andywilkie35 13 Oct 2012 21:57:23 5,338 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Almost lost my Russian soldier Dimitri Buggeroff. Think I would have cried if he had perished.

He survived though, thankfully.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• fletch7100 13 Oct 2012 21:58:54 6,180 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tragic day for Xcom. Lost my entire colonel squad raiding a supply UFO

3 sector pods were the main culprits. All my decision making went to shit

Killed 18 aliens including mutons, beam drones, heavily armoured floaters , 2 elite mutons in a running around a tree battle as my last soldier had one bar of health, got to the cockpit, sneaked in an saw 2 sectoid commanders, killed one but got mind controlled by the other FUCKKKKKKK
  • fletch7100 13 Oct 2012 22:10:18 6,180 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Col Bob "Longbow" Cooke 26 missions 77 kills
    Col William "Mad Dog" Jones 26 missions 53 kills
    Col Yumi "Android" Nakagawa 24 missions 44 kills
    Col Long " Tectonic" Zhu 23 missions 36 kills
    Col Michelle "Cookie" Ramirez 23 missions 26 kills
    Maj Narayan "Magic Man" Bose 8 missions 5 kills

We salute you

• daft 13 Oct 2012 22:10:42 446 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    Tragic day for Xcom. Lost my entire colonel squad raiding a supply UFO

3 sector pods were the main culprits. All my decision making went to shit

Killed 18 aliens including mutons, beam drones, heavily armoured floaters , 2 elite mutons in a running around a tree battle as my last soldier had one bar of health, got to the cockpit, sneaked in an saw 2 sectoid commanders, killed one but got mind controlled by the other FUCKKKKKKK
    Oh, the Sectopods... I well and truly hate them. Also had my Colonel squad decimated to but 1 soldier. I reloaded. :) No Ironman yet.
  • fletch7100 13 Oct 2012 22:15:28 6,180 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @daft

This was on normal/ ironman and 2 of the sector pods were overwatching each other. Full colonel got killed with 2 shots. There was no real cover, sector pods kept destroying those.

Edited by fletch7100 at 22:17:59 13-10-2012

Edited by fletch7100 at 22:41:57 13-10-2012
  • Bremenacht 13 Oct 2012 23:07:42 15,756 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lost a whole squad. Underestimated the Chrysalids. Then lost half of the next squad. Captain (really!) Mainwaring gone. Wilson. Frazer. Jonesy and old Godfrey survived along with Pike, who cannot shoot a thing, stupid boy. Think I'll give up on customisations for now.

Never enough money. Four countries gone from X-COM. Still haven't captured an Alien. I think I'm in trouble.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Tryhard 14 Oct 2012 00:03:46 3,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    OK a little behind on things but have finally managed to capture an Outsider with the awaiting rewards sitting there for the taking.

Finally have laser rifle and laser sniper rifle.Some carapace armour.
    Two medics with 3 medkits.6 trooper squad.And the Foundry just opened up a whole load of goodies which I can just stare at and dream of right now.

About to have some SAT's go up thankfully.

Pretty happy how things stand so far,know it won't last.

And have my first bomb mission awaiting me when I next go on.
  • fletch7100 14 Oct 2012 00:07:24 6,180 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The stupid thing on normal is, have a story objective, just ignore it and carry on a normal. Get your satellites up, research everything you can. Had my elite squad kicking arse for months. Lost my elites now struggling with my rookies :). Nice to have a challenge again. Feeling tired, throwing my soldiers into stupid moves. Must stop playing :)
  • OneLove. 14 Oct 2012 00:54:35 10 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Enjoying the mechanics of it, still think the art direction and soundtrack are bit a wank though. The latter has been talked up in reviews, but all I hear is generic orchestral swells that are inherent in near enough all modern Sci-Fi. Much prefer the oppressive THUD-THUD-THUD-THUD of the original.

Is it possible to select the direction your unit is facing? I can't work out how to choose so am paranoid aliens are sneaking behind the backs of my men constantly.
  • Spoonymcspoon 14 Oct 2012 02:04:08 11 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Must remember not to let people "who just like explosions" to be heavies.

I decided to send my colonel heavy in for psi training after an abduction mission as I had a back up captain level heavy who I had gotten as a mission reward some time back and only used once.

After only firing twice (and missing) during the whole assault on the landed large UFO there was a pack of three mutons close together and in cover whilst on overwatch (as my support major had just found to his peril getting critically wounded while trying to find them) I thought a rocket would be the answer, it was then that I experienced how painful misses can be as he pivoted 60 degrees to the right and fired said rocket at three of my own guys ... while my main support guy was down and the squaddie support only had one use on his medpack which I needed to stabalise the other support character. Needless to say he hasn't stepped foot in the skyranger again.

The worst part was that the previous mission my main heavy guy killed 3 sectoids and 3 mutons with one rocket due to some conveniently placed cars and made me think about using rockets more often, which I tend to avoid doing to stop the scientist lady shouting at me.
  • Deleted user 14 October 2012 10:07:52
    I gave in and decided to buy UFO today, problem I have is my local Tesco, sainsburys and Hmv don't have it.
  • Page

of 126 First / Last