XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 44

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• KingOfSpain 13 Oct 2012 13:07:17 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone use "Hunker Down" a lot? I know that it makes you harder to hit and double your defence, it's especially good when in half cover. My question is, does it have any effect when your guys are in full cover? Can your defence only increase so far?
  • onestepfromlost 13 Oct 2012 13:10:03 2,083 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I tend to use overwatch rather than hunker down. I only really use hunker on VIPs i think. my rational is id rather get a chance at killing a threat than surviving it.

Edit: actuall this just mae me reflect. i suppose if i had the aliens already in sight in cover. I should mabe use it as they probably arent goign to move and give me my overwatch shot they probably will just shoot.

Edited by onestepfromlost at 13:11:00 13-10-2012
  • fletch7100 13 Oct 2012 13:31:29 7,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just tried catching a new alien, had my squad surround it, made them all hunker down until my support turned up to catch it

Got 5 colonels in my team now. Support get ability to shoot twice in overwatch not just against a moving target but one that is about to fire and getting 2 inventory slots are a must

Sniper get ability to fire twice in one round can be quite ruthless

Just raided a large UFO and was caught between saving a character or capturing brand new alien. Failed on both accounts, was my Lt Gorman from Aliens moment :( first death in many missions

Star Team players

Longbow Sniper 22 missions 64 kills
    Mad Dog Assault 20 missions 26 kills
    Tectonic Heavy 19 missions 29 kills
    Android Assault 17 missions 21 kills
    Cookie Support 17 missions 20 kills

This is on normal, with 1,198 credit income a month

Edited by fletch7100 at 13:39:46 13-10-2012
  • Saucy 13 Oct 2012 13:36:08 2,604 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This game is awesome.

I've never played xcom before yesterday, but felt the tutorial gave a good overview of how everything works, and don't feel at any disadvantage by not playing the previous games. The fact you can lose really gives the game some extra tension. As does the fact you can get quite attached to your veteran soldiers. The shot percentage system works well, as you have to calculate the risks.

The only gripe I've got so far is that its a pain in the arse to take equipment from soldiers who you aren't taking on a mission.

Sadly, I'm going on holiday for a week now! 7 days until I can get back to saving the world.
  • Tryhard 13 Oct 2012 14:07:24 4,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In the long run I am not to fussed if I fail.I am enjoying how my guys are developing,and who will be legends,and who will be sent home way too quickly.

I am always taking out two rookies as scouts.Expendable assets.If they succeed and rank up they will follow behind two new rookies.My highest rank always stays in the centre of the group and moves last.

Did a Terror Mission,only lost 1 civilian that was taken by a Chrysalid.
    And loved what happened to the human thereafter.More tactics needed.
    Then another Chrysalid sped from nowhere and took down a rookie trooper.

The good thing that even though I did not do that difficult mission in India.This terror mission in Japan reduced the three red panicked countries to yellow alert.Phew.
  • onestepfromlost 13 Oct 2012 14:17:05 2,083 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I usually went with the squad of 1 heavy, 1 sniper, 2 assault and 2 support but looking at the skills the support get im thinking going with 3 of them, instead of the 2nd assault. Probably spec 2 of them for medic duties and another for cover fire, arcr throwery type stuff.
  • RedSparrows 13 Oct 2012 14:27:49 23,244 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This game is eating my life. Amazing.

Double tap plasma sniper = a thing of cackling, vindictive beauty
  • Khanivor 13 Oct 2012 14:31:52 40,937 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This sucks; at work where the job site is less than 10 blocks from my house and Xcom :(
  • Bremenacht 13 Oct 2012 14:32:06 18,703 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Enjoying this. Getting caught out using old XCOM strategies that don't apply, so now I don't have enough Sat coverage, and I've sold off too many corpses, thinking they're useless.. :(

Not terribly keen on the cover system. It feels wrong that you can shoot (or be shot) through bridges, small hills, marble structures and other non-destructible terrain. You get used to it and make allowances, but it's annoying when you get caught out.

I'm liking other variations from the originals too, like floaters having the ability to drop behind you, and the AI seeking to flank whenever it can. It's an improvement on the original, where no matter what the level you'd pretty much use the same strategy every time - forming a line and sweeping across the map, perhaps forming small squads for particular structures.

VIP and timed missions mix things up nicely too. I particularly like the timed missions, 'cos I'm one for plodding across a map and I'm using overwatch all the time on this game. Timed missions are forcing me to change the way I play.

poop_point still whinging is he? His loss - the game's good. It's an evolution in many ways; an alternative in others. Am I right in guessing he's spent little time bumping threads for the old games, and most time trolling in here? Maybe I shouldn't have apologised for calling him a boring, tedious, whingebag cunt then - it appears to be what he is.
  • fletch7100 13 Oct 2012 14:39:41 7,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Missile launcher killed 4 mutons :) just taking 3 rookies out, missing the veterans abilities. So far so good landed UFO 7 mutons killed, 2 berserkers killed and one berserker captured and 1 outsider killed
  • agparrot 13 Oct 2012 14:49:58 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My new game started very poory earlier - managed to get two rookies promoted to Support, but each of them was killed almost immediately behind hard cover by jammy, jammy sectoids.

This might have been bearable if my first council mission - to defuse a bomb, wasn't scuppered by more Thin Man poisoning, killing one Heavy and leaving my rookie-with-a-medikit bleeding on the floor, as the two other wounded members of the team scarpered to the Skyranger one turn before the bomb went off and left Japan in a state of Panic.

My single new satellite has kept a lid on this situation temporarily, forcing me to split my two interceptors over two continents, but it's already looking grim, just over a month in!
  • Whizzo 13 Oct 2012 15:16:51 43,187 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My first classic/hardcore ends in inevitable defeat after 111 days, learnt a lot though so I hopefully won't be making the same mistakes again.

The defeat cutscene is a real bummer too.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Bremenacht 13 Oct 2012 15:27:35 18,703 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    My new game started very poory earlier
    What happened to the old game? Finished already?
  • agparrot 13 Oct 2012 15:30:28 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    agparrot wrote:
    My new game started very poory earlier
    What happened to the old game? Finished already?
    Yes as I mentioned on the previous page, it was 118 days of eventual alien domination.

I didn't detail the full shame of my chrysallid / cyberdisc losses, I think it's still a bit too raw.

I also made a grave error when I forgot to order any new soldiers, leaving 1 (One) active fellow ready for a mission. I'm not sure where I'd have found the money to fund more though, owing to my generally hamfisted mismanagement at my first outing through the strategy layer!

Loved it.
  • fletch7100 13 Oct 2012 15:35:27 7,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ok normal/ ironman, every country has a satellite expect China and Canada who left

Think I should do more story missions now :)
  • Stickman 13 Oct 2012 16:02:27 29,666 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's awesome. Really, really awesome. Hopelessly addicted already.

Fired up the original for some nostalgia. Within three turns of my very first mission, five guys dead! Games were HARD!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Puppaz 13 Oct 2012 16:10:02 328 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wah, satellites are pretty important, only worked that out after a while so now I'm playing catch up, acing missions but need to get panic levels down everywhere.

Just met a cyberdisc <3
    Do they still not explode when you shoot them from behind like the original?
  • fletch7100 13 Oct 2012 16:14:45 7,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Played 6 hours today , didn't even notice the time until now :)

Just had great battle against heavy armoured mutons outside a UFO. Took 3 rookies in and I thought shit this is going wrong

One colonel was surrounded by 4 of them, was getting battered, she quickly threw a grenade, teammate threw another grenade, still 4 of them left. Heavy fires shredder missile, misses but kills one luckily. Alien turn they are a bit lost as what to do, who to target. My turn forgot my heavy has ability to carry 2 missiles, fires another one off to get the kills. Need A break then I'm raiding the UFO
  • agparrot 13 Oct 2012 16:19:59 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    It's awesome. Really, really awesome. Hopelessly addicted already.

fletch7100 wrote:
    Played 6 hours today , didn't even notice the time until now

Yeah, it has been ages since I've looked up after my late night play session to see the clock say 4.30 in the morning - nuts. Suffered for it this morning, too, with the first gaming hangover I've had in ages. Bleurghy eyes.

I need satellites. No, I need Laser guns. No, I need better Armour. I need a foundry if I want to spend more money building those SHIV things to try and protect my soldiers and I need more planes to cover the countries I can't afford to keep satellites in anyway and...

The early game 'Classic' difficulty strategy bit is a huge headache, and all the better for it.

Edited by agparrot at 16:21:01 13-10-2012
  • mikeck 13 Oct 2012 16:29:32 1,936 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wow, I hate this game so much, for sucking my life away and being so awesome :p

Having never played the original before, I am hugely surprised by how much I'm loving a strategy game (probably my least favourite genre). I fear I will make many mistakes along the way, many bad management choices, and generally suck for a while, but I'm looking forward to the experience.

I'm easing in on normal difficulty, and have done a few missions, starting to expand the base, and so far have lost none of my 12 starting soldiers, and am making sure I try and utilise everyone so I have a nice spread of experience in the squad mix.

Also, at the moment I'm a plodder, therefore rarely dashing and using overwatch a lot. I fear the timed missions will really test my skills at this game!
  • Trafford 13 Oct 2012 16:30:55 5,871 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aye, my first campaign unravelled with me woefully under equipped.

When the first flying disc turned up I new it was close to game over.
  • fletch7100 13 Oct 2012 16:34:39 7,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just raiding alien base, oh dear think this will get messy
  • Rodriguez 13 Oct 2012 16:35:19 1,097 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    My single new satellite has kept a lid on this situation temporarily, forcing me to split my two interceptors over two continents,but it's already looking grim, just over a month in!
    Ha ha! Tell me about it! Just completed my first month with a 'B' Grade.

I lost poor old Boris Becker on a UFO crash mission in Japan and have only managed to get one additional satellite (with Interceptor) up so far over the good old UK, along with my original over Japan as my base is in Asia. I've already had one country panic to the max and pull out (here's a clue - cheese eating surrender monkeys ;)) and Germany, USA and Canada are on 4-3-3 alert status! I'm waiting for my engineers to get a satellite uplink facility built so I can buy and then launch some more satellites over necessary areas, but it's a slow and nail biting process! I'm also fairly low on money, so going to have to watch those pennies and spend wisely!

On the upside, my squad are doing fine so far (apart from poor old Boris). I've been using the occasional rotary of members to ensure I've got some slightly more experienced backup if needed. Sniper 'Headshot' Wolf is my top soldier so far, along with Richard 'Doc' Pryor! My squad has added Dolph Lundgren, El Muerto, Gracie Law and Snake Plissken to the ranks now too :D! I've also researched and developed some scopes and carapace armour, so hopefully that'll keep them going in the field for now!

Right, time to try and survive another month :eek:.....
  • Tryhard 13 Oct 2012 16:57:07 4,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Reading your stories.I know that doom is out their for my guys.I just want to enjoy the moment I have with them right now.Before they come and take them all away.

That's if they ever get out of the freaking hospital.:D
  • agparrot 13 Oct 2012 16:59:25 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Aye, my first campaign unravelled with me woefully under equipped.

When the first flying disc turned up I new it was close to game over.
    How. Many. Health. Points? I thought to myself, and I'm sure I caught one of my troopers looking at his Assault Rifle and shrug his shoulders, as if I'd given him a pea-shooter with which to destroy a tank.

If only both my Heavies had not been in hospital for two weeks, and nineteen days respectively, I might have had half a chance. It really was the writing on the wall for the whole campaign.
  • fletch7100 13 Oct 2012 17:28:47 7,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Assault ability, free shot if alien gets close to you, doesn't require overwatch is very very helpful :)
  • PrivateFloyd 13 Oct 2012 17:34:41 4,181 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did something silly and got this with some credit i had with game but im not going to get chance to play it;

Anyone know anyone that would want the ps3 version new and sealed for 30 posted?

Goat is hungry.....

• Deleted user 13 October 2012 17:39:03
    I've made the strike team from the shield for my guys. Poor old Mackey nearly bit the dust early on but luckily Bunk from the wire was there to take over.

Funnily enogh Gus Fring was also blown up in a room too!

:)
  • Reacher 13 Oct 2012 17:48:52 854 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bod De Builder went down on his rookie mission, silly pankicking bastard. He did take one with him though.

RIP Bob.

(The Gush is still going, as are my originals, Vaginal Quince and Royce Gracie)
  • TechnoHippy 13 Oct 2012 18:00:21 14,719 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Damn - I lost my sniper :-(

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Page

of 130 First / Last