XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 40

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• Lotos8ter 12 Oct 2012 14:08:01 2,327 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    If the shops don't have this I'm gonna cry.
    Get the tissues ready then, nowt doing for me in a large Tesco or a largish Sainsburys.
    I ventured into GAME and the manager pointed out that they'd only ordered 13 copies and most of those were pre-ordered. Anyway, I bagged one but I hope the publisher can do a better job of selling this to retail as a lot of people are going to be none the wiser that its out.

/damn shame

Fiat Lux

• Petrarch 12 Oct 2012 14:08:33 3,424 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just a screenshot of the new squad, currently at the default 4 members. Decided to pack them all out with SCOPE modules for the early missions as I'm hoping it'll help clean out targets faster rather than having to risk return fire until there's better armour. It'll also let agparrot see the armour deco I was talking about earlier.

Original Squad

Edited by Petrarch at 14:10:52 12-10-2012
  • fletch7100 12 Oct 2012 14:10:57 6,193 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    About the satellites

First place them via which country is panicking the most. Then see which country gives the best benefits per satellite, then choose who your new best buddies will be.

Edited by fletch7100 at 14:13:13 12-10-2012
  • SaucyGeoff 12 Oct 2012 14:13:38 2,481 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    If the shops don't have this I'm gonna cry.
    Get the tissues ready then, nowt doing for me in a large Tesco or a largish Sainsburys.
    I ventured into GAME and the manager pointed out that they'd only ordered 13 copies and most of those were pre-ordered. Anyway, I bagged one but I hope the publisher can do a better job of selling this to retail as a lot of people are going to be none the wiser that its out.

/damn shame
    Yep, wondered round Leeds on my lunch break, HMV, Saino's and Morrisons had nothing. Could have got a copy from game, but I am on Holiday for a week from tomorrow, so decided it can wait till I get back.
  • agparrot 12 Oct 2012 14:14:37 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Petrarch wrote:
    Just a screenshot of the new squad, currently at the default 4 members. Decided to pack them all out with SCOPE modules for the early missions as I'm hoping it'll help clean out targets faster rather than having to risk return fire until there's better armour. It'll also let agparrot see the armour deco I was talking about earlier.

Original Squad
    Nice!

You are a mental taking all SCOPEs though - My frontline troops, the ones in the thick of it, have to have Nanofibre early on, because it is the only thing that prevents them being killed outright by incoming fire. For this same reason, I've always got at least one medikit to patch up anyone who gets shot badly.

Usually then I have a Heavy and an Assault or rookie guy with Nanofibre, taking point, another Assault rifle toting chap - Support if one has been promoted - with a medkit, and then a Sniper with whatever - he's usually too far from the action to get involved with medikits or grenades, so a vest if there's one going spare.
  • Archronos 12 Oct 2012 14:15:08 22 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    In the make items window you have to tab right... there are three tabs, see? One for soldier stuff, one for plane stuff, and then the third one is like satellites and so forth. It has a little picture of a satellite on it!
    Oh good lord, I thought the soldier stuff was all they knew... -_- Love you!
  • MetalDog 12 Oct 2012 14:16:19 23,706 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I pre-ordered this and Dishonoured, have had shipping notices for both. What I would like tonight is the glorious conundrum of which one to play first, but what I will probably get is a red card telling me to pick it up at the depot tomorrow morning.

The steam activation crap is a shit, if I'd known I'd be tied to steam I'd have just bought it on steam.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• PenguinJim 12 Oct 2012 14:21:39 5,472 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    The steam activation crap is a shit, if I'd known I'd be tied to steam I'd have just bought it on steam.
    That's crazy-talk!

You'd have got it from another, cheaper download site (possibly even risking GMG), or if Steam and Gamersgate had the same price (they do) you'd have got it from Gamersgate to get the 5% store cashback, of course! :p
  • Tryhard 12 Oct 2012 14:24:25 3,487 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This is not a game for indecisive people.I have 30 armour colours to chose from alone.Thankfully the menu music is very up tempo.
  • agparrot 12 Oct 2012 14:25:38 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tryhard wrote:
    This is not a game for indecisive people.I have 30 armour colours to chose from alone.Thankfully the menu music is very up tempo.
    Ah, you have made me laugh! Very good!
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 12 Oct 2012 14:28:22 6,654 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh christ. I'm a complete turtle in strategy games.
  • fletch7100 12 Oct 2012 14:28:34 6,193 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Still think seeing a female in this game with black flat top hair makes her look like a pirate

Eye patch DLC please
  • Deleted user 12 October 2012 14:29:35
    Just finished lunch break. Game Hmv and currys sold out. Seems not much stock sent. Will cost them a lot in sales. Shame.
  • Petrarch 12 Oct 2012 14:30:11 3,424 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @agparrot

The SCOPE thing is purely for the first handful of missions - now the squad has a few promotions, the support will be spun off into a medic and the assault/heavy chaps will take a nanofibre, leaving the sniper guy with his SCOPE. If I need to train up a rookie, I'll equip them with a SCOPE for a few missions as well before branching out.
  • agparrot 12 Oct 2012 14:32:25 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    Just finished lunch break. Game Hmv and currys sold out. Seems not much stock sent. Will cost them a lot in sales. Shame.
    This just seems stupid.

All that talk about them worrying whether a revival of something so different from modern games, and then they don't send enough stock to fill the kind of demand that they are probably relying on to label it a sales success.

I fully expect to see another Jake Solomon video, but this time with him as the delivery lorry driver, japing with customers who have been unable to buy his game because somebody, somewhere, got the distribution all wrong.
  • L_Franko Moderator 12 Oct 2012 14:43:58 9,692 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I went into Gamestation to get my copy and it took me a bit to actually find a copy in the shop as it was stacked up out the way of all the popular titles. I didn't think they had any copies at first.
    No advertising banners or anything in store, not even a flyer.
  • Moot_Point 12 Oct 2012 14:47:46 3,533 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Kafeen wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    @LeoliansBro No, but i have seen video gameplay. I might get it in a steam sale though as i do not think it is worth 30. I am saving my cash for Xenonauts.
    Greenman Gaming have it 27.99 and you can get 25% off with the code on the site. That'll bring it down to about 21.
    That's still too expensive too me.

@agparrot Look, just because you like this version of x-con do not belittle me because i do not. There are many valid views and opinions on this game whether you have played it or not. And as a moderator here, you should know better.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• Deleted user 12 October 2012 14:50:52
    L_Franko wrote:
    I went into Gamestation to get my copy and it took me a bit to actually find a copy in the shop as it was stacked up out the way of all the popular titles. I didn't think they had any copies at first.
    No advertising banners or anything in store, not even a flyer.
    Yeah all the shops were stacked with dishonored adverts.
  • Deleted user 12 October 2012 14:53:25
    Moot point, are you on the xenonauts development team?
    All you been doing is criticising x com and mentioning you waiting for xenonauts.
  • MetalDog 12 Oct 2012 14:57:20 23,706 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Moot_Point
    'X-con'?
    You haven't been belittled anywhere near enough.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• w00t 12 Oct 2012 14:58:03 10,978 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Revan, I recommend the Ignore button.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• agparrot 12 Oct 2012 15:06:58 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    @agparrot Look, just because you like this version of x-con do not belittle me because i do not. There are many valid views and opinions on this game whether you have played it or not. And as a moderator here, you should know better.
    This simply doesn't make any sense.

You are complaining about something you haven't even played.

I can't hold a discussion with you about what it is like to play, because you haven't played it. This is not belittling you. It is just fact.

Given that you haven't played it, and all your posts do is moan about it, I can't see any reason for you to continue to post about it, other than to moan some more, which other posters have previously pointed out is just trolling.

I won't deny liking this version of it, any more than I can quash my insatiable lust for the first game. That's because, as you can see from the reaction of pretty much everyone who has played this game, that it is good.

As I said before, I'm happy to discuss any faults or problems or issues, I myself already don't think the game is perfect, but it is engrossing and fascinating and scary and clever, much like the first, so your ill-informed opinions of the actual game don't make the basis of a discussion.

Anyway, enough of this tiresome crap.
  • spindle9988 12 Oct 2012 15:13:04 3,386 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Couldnt decide whether to get this or dishonored at lunch so I have left making my decision until after work. I am ow really worried both will be sold out
  • 1Dgaf 12 Oct 2012 15:14:39 3,775 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    @1Dgaf

I think Spacewar really needed to have 1 last grenade at that point...
    Yes, I think you're right chap. His last words were 'I..I think they poisoned me'.

I felt weirdly guilty. And I also, genuinely, wondered if Robotron, who legged it, would have problems back at the base with morale.

EDIT:

So is the consensus that this game will tank, then? The only other people on my FL playing it are Fletch and Vortex. Compared to Borderlands 2, however, and almost all my FL was playing that. Many still are.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 15:18:06 12-10-2012

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• fletch7100 12 Oct 2012 15:15:31 6,193 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Was thinking about getting dishonoured. Then realised I have been playing too many first person view games. Xcom filled that gap perfectly for something different
  • Snufkin 12 Oct 2012 15:16:39 36 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My first squad of Streetfighters are playing a blinder so far, though only 4 missions in, and only on Normal (Ironman though!). Chun Li has bounced back from her grave injuries after taking down three sectoids in one mission, Keith Guile looks proper awesome in US Army issue cammo green and is at the front of every skirmish, Colin Ryu is the enthusiastic rookie just assigned to sniper duty, and the legend that is Dave Zangief is the lone survivor of my first mission - he's had some injury and his Will is dropping, but he's remaining stoic in the face of adversity.

I am loving this game! I got as far as escaping prison in Dishonored and that is also v cool, but XCOM is where its at for the moment.

I just hope I don't run out of SFII character names before I unlock the telekinesis powers - M Bison FTW!
  • shamblemonkee 12 Oct 2012 15:26:00 14,042 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think the ad campaign did a decent job selling it as though it was a totally different style of game.
  • Deleted user 12 October 2012 15:26:20
    @spindle9988 think you safe with dishonored, number 1 on charts but copies everywhere at lunch.
  • Tryhard 12 Oct 2012 15:27:04 3,487 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tim Kjell is ripping it up as support,he knocked out two Sectoids with one burst of his LMG outside the UFO,and a Muton inside.

Even the Dice community manager Daniel Matros is getting some kills in while wearing bright pink armour.
  • Page

of 126 First / Last