XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 38

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• Moot_Point 12 Oct 2012 11:12:00 3,503 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    So, anyone spotted any grand self-important post anywhere on the web, denouncing Firaxis as the spawn of Satan and claiming this game is an insult?
    It is, but i am not allowed to post such things!

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 12 Oct 2012 11:12:44 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Still, I think i'm going to play it on normal. I don't play enough strategy games to have that level of resource management skills.
  • LeoliansBro 12 Oct 2012 11:14:19 41,863 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    So, anyone spotted any grand self-important post anywhere on the web, denouncing Firaxis as the spawn of Satan and claiming this game is an insult?
    It is, but i am not allowed to post such things!
    Have you played it?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• agparrot 12 Oct 2012 11:14:28 11,903 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Tbh I found the original pretty easy at a Strategic level until you put it on one of the three lower [in the list] difficulties.

Find Alien stuff. Sell. Profit.
    Yeah, that finding stuff and selling feels much harder in the beginning at the moment. For starters, you need to hold on to some of it to research it, and most of it is worth bugger all, relatively speaking, on the Gray market. The good stuff, that is worth money, UFO parts and so on, you really want to research, but you can't help but feel that armour or weapons are a more pressing concern, but that if you *do* sell it that later on you'll wish you had more of them.

Which is why the strategic layer is great.

Also you can't sell medkits and other stuff you manufacture (from what I've seen in just the first two months, anyway).
  • Moot_Point 12 Oct 2012 11:16:16 3,503 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @LeoliansBro No, but i have seen video gameplay. I might get it in a steam sale though as i do not think it is worth 30. I am saving my cash for Xenonauts.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• SClaw 12 Oct 2012 11:18:51 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can't wait to get in and play this tonight. I think I almost went blind from over playing UFO way back in the day so I know this going to be epic.

Only just noticed that you can name your doods! I'm so naming them all after Captain Scarlett characters.
  • daft 12 Oct 2012 11:27:27 446 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    @LeoliansBro No, but i have seen video gameplay. I might get it in a steam sale though as i do not think it is worth 30. I am saving my cash for Xenonauts.
    Yeah, give it a shot when the price feels right for you. I loved the original to bits, and this is IMO a better game. It's different, but manages to retain that feeling of dread you always had when going on terror mission or raided landed UFO:s. I think Firaxis did the original proud with this one. :)
  • LeoliansBro 12 Oct 2012 11:27:35 41,863 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    If you've played it you can denounce it. Otherwise you can shut up.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Puppaz 12 Oct 2012 11:33:50 301 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh my, I love this. I used to be obsessed with UFO back in the day, and this game takes me back to that obsession.

Playing on iron-man normal, seems just right for me at the moment. Managed to keep a core squad of decent soldiers for a month so far with just a few rookies making suicidal charges that end in failure.

There's a real feel of needing to survive on missions, which makes you play a lot more carefully on iron man, just saving/reloading would take something away from the enjoyment for me.
  • Moot_Point 12 Oct 2012 11:34:43 3,503 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    daft wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Yeah, give it a shot when the price feels right for you. I loved the original to bits, and this is IMO a better game. It's different, but manages to retain that feeling of dread you always had when going on terror mission or raided landed UFO:s. I think Firaxis did the original proud with this one. :)
    Well to be honest, i liked the way the original played (music was spot on) and found it easy to play, and i know some here found it too tough. But i like a challenge in games of this sort. The demo left me cold and wasn't long enough to draw me into the different gameplay mechanics. (Considering that half the demo was 'hand holding')

But like i said, there is hope after i play Xenonauts (I doubt this will appear on sale until Christmas, if not later). But i may be too busy by then.

• agparrot 12 Oct 2012 11:36:26 11,903 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Puppaz wrote:
    There's a real feel of needing to survive on missions, which makes you play a lot more carefully on iron man, just saving/reloading would take something away from the enjoyment for me.
    Oddly, I haven't even noticed being on Ironman, but I think this is just because I've never reloaded a save in UFO, despite having the ability to do so.

I was glued to the game yesterday, to an extent where, although I detoured for a few rounds of BF3 with chums, I couldn't find the time to type in the code for my Guile haircut.
  • RedSparrows 12 Oct 2012 11:37:52 20,753 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am going to be riding this game hard all weekend. Woot.
  • thedaveeyres 12 Oct 2012 11:38:51 9,710 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played an hour at midnight last night and had to force myself to stop. It looks fantastic while retaining the charm of the original. Hot piss!

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• L_Franko Moderator 12 Oct 2012 11:40:00 9,686 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    agparrot wrote:

L_Franko wrote:
    The great write up from Mr Parrot isn't helping my impatience.

I should point out that the stuff I typed about in the Strategic layer - the tension of making decisions and the scarcity of resources, is probably not present in the same way at Normal difficulty, but for me I think these elements make the game as gripping as the original at Classic. It's a plate-spinning act where you are left in the knowledge that your decisions are going to break some of them, and you can't just save the ones that are nearest together to make it easier for yourself.
    I've not played the first one as I've never really had a gaming pc at any point of my life but I knew about it and it always seemed like something I'd love to try. I mention this because I am probably going to play this version on classic even though I have zero experience, I'm fully expecting to lose horribly a few times but from the way the battles have random enemy placement I can see that multiple retries wont be a hassle.
  • Kafeen 12 Oct 2012 11:44:21 548 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Greenman Gaming have it 27.99 and you can get 25% off with the code on the site. That'll bring it down to about 21.
  • PenguinJim 12 Oct 2012 11:44:27 5,450 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    Where is cheapest for this?
    What are you after? PC boxed, PC boxed special edition, PC download, or inferior?
  • agparrot 12 Oct 2012 11:45:24 11,903 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Well to be honest, i liked the way the original played (music was spot on)
    The music is atmospheric, and great, in this XCOM, it's moody and just right. Certainly on a par with the Soundblaster tones of yore.

and found it easy to play, and i know some here found it too tough. But i like a challenge in games of this sort.
    I'm not sure anybody has said they found the original too tough, and I'm not sure whether you are talking about the difficulty of the game, which had five selectable levels in UFO, or the interface of the game, which was as simple as simple could be in the original.

The demo left me cold and wasn't long enough to draw me into the different gameplay mechanics. (Considering that half the demo was 'hand holding')
    Yes, this thread has extensively discussed how the demo is not reflective of the game, as well as linking to an RPS article dedicated to the subject, so this point is moot. Having now played the demo, and the game, I can assure you that the two things are wildly different, especially given that on harder difficulties, the new XCOM is very unforgiving, and the strategic layer is immediately more difficult and challenging than the original, where you had the option to attend every single mission and 'game' the ufo interceptions to a certain extent to your advantage.

But like i said, there is hope after i play Xenonauts (I doubt this will appear on sale until Christmas, if not later). But i may be too busy by then.
    Well, I'll happily enter into a discussion about the relative pros and cons of the new and old Enemy Unknowns, after you've played the new one. Until then, your opinion is next to worthless, however many times you play the demo, or subject yourself to the entirely non-interactive process of watching videos of other people playing the game.

Honestly.

Edited by agparrot at 11:46:08 12-10-2012
  • SaucyGeoff 12 Oct 2012 11:48:06 2,478 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Until I dropped into this thread yesterday, this wasn't on my radar at all. Played the demo last night, buying it at lunch. Looking forward George, Dave and Boris trying (and failing) to save the world.

Edited by SaucyGeoff at 11:50:57 12-10-2012
  • Tryhard 12 Oct 2012 11:54:31 3,484 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    And so it begins.

How will the Dice staff measure up on a more terrirfying battlefield?

Roland Smedberg is going to put me in one of his squads now.The guy is too cool.

Edited by Tryhard at 12:04:04 12-10-2012
  • Trafford 12 Oct 2012 11:58:35 5,269 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Going to have a big session tonight on my Earth Defense Simulator.
  • Petrarch 12 Oct 2012 12:01:44 3,424 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And it all went horribly wrong. Despite no losses, the panic rose and hit a tipping point and XCOM lays in ruins.

Time to start again and this time I'll approach the research a bit more cautiously - that's what did me in this time.
  • PenguinJim 12 Oct 2012 12:02:29 5,450 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My Special Edition box has just been shipped! \o/ From Hong Kong! /o\

I started up the original UFO: Enemy Unknown yesterday, so that I can be super-critical. About six hours in already. Martha Stewart had better kick this much ass in the remake. :eek:
  • fletch7100 12 Oct 2012 12:03:51 6,160 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    These quotes should be in the game. Modders make it happen

Lieutenant Jean Rasczak

I need a corporal. You're it until you're dead or I find someone better.

This is for all you new people: I only have one rule. Everyone fights. No one quits. You don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself. You get me?

I expect the best and I give the best. Here's the beer. Here's the entertainment. Now have fun. That's an order.

They sucked his brains out.
  • neilqpr 12 Oct 2012 12:04:30 2,797 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What's in the elite soldier pack, is it just skins?
  • BeheretiK 12 Oct 2012 12:06:16 858 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    First playthrough done! According to Steam I have spent 29 hours, but realistically I think it was around 22-25 hours. I played on normal and tried to play as though I was playing in ironman mode to prepare for the next playthrough. I still reloaded a few times though, not due to soldier death, but mostly because the camera can be really annoying at times. Watch out for that - sometimes you think you are moving your soldier somewhere safe, but the camera has fooled you and the soldier is now on a different level and not in cover! But that is the only minor annoyance - other than that I loved my first playthrough so 10/10 for me.

Now, on to classic with ironman. Well, Walking Dead ep. 4 first, but then ironman!

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• El_MUERkO 12 Oct 2012 12:10:37 16,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    If those 4 hour rumours are true then it's a speed run on easy. Skyrim main story speed run can be done in 2 and half hours by that games makers. Then you never get the idea of the game if you do a speed run

From the developers 12-15 on normal,20 odd hours on classic and impossible.

I put in about 8 hours yesterday on classic ironman , not even close to finishing the game
    This game is the antithesis of a speed-run game. Anyone that attempts it is completely failing to get the point of the game.
  • agparrot 12 Oct 2012 12:12:12 11,903 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    What's in the elite soldier pack, is it just skins?
    I really should download it.

On the card it says:

- Classic Xcom Soldier
    - Soldier Deco Packs
    - Complete Colour Customisation

You can choose their hair, faces, names, etc without this pack, but the armours are fixed colours without it. Not sure what 'Deco Packs' means yet. Will have a go later.

Classic Xcom Soldier is most certainly the Guile Flat-top haircut of amaze.
  • PenguinJim 12 Oct 2012 12:12:44 5,450 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THERE ARE NO FOUR-HOUR RUMOURS!!! IT WAS JUST ME ANNOYING REVAN8!!! :champ:
  • agparrot 12 Oct 2012 12:15:06 11,903 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    THERE ARE NO FOUR-HOUR RUMOURS!!! IT WAS JUST ME ANNOYING REVAN8!!! :champ:
    Quoted in case anyone has PenguinJim on ignore

;)
  • Petrarch 12 Oct 2012 12:19:55 3,424 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The deco pack is a cosmetic thing, basically lets you change the look of the armour you're wearing. The standard armour you start with looks more heavily plated and robust with the deco pack.
  • Page

of 126 First / Last