XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 37

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• StarchildHypocrethes 12 Oct 2012 09:04:39 26,316 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong then, but I constantly have no money on my Normal Ironman run.

So far I only have 4 satellites, too. Plus no-one is fully kitted out with my latest gear.
  • fletch7100 12 Oct 2012 09:21:59 7,432 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I started my base in Africa. Extra 30% committee funding. Got 5 satellites up, then looked at building facilities next to each other. Just installed my first workshop and building satellites is cheaper now. Build another workshop should make things more cheaper and quicker to build. Already got 3 more satellites being built. Plus selling to the grey market spare kit. Left the game this morning with about 300 credits, just waiting for facilities to be built, want to expand the squad to 6 members, then buy skill for extra exp per kill an reduced hospital recovering time. Just started making carapace armour and researching laser guns. So am pretty early in the game

Edited by fletch7100 at 09:28:20 12-10-2012
  • MrWonderstuff 12 Oct 2012 09:34:14 1,948 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just started on Normal (as I actually want to finish this) - but was that a good choice? Is it too easy then? I like a challenge but not a Dark Souls challenge but something that will stretch me. I assume it gets harder on Normal anyway.
  • shamblemonkee 12 Oct 2012 09:36:05 14,572 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am about halfway through April and this time things are, so far, going much more smoothly.

I'm based in Asia.

I have the officer lounge built, increased my squads to 5 person and bolstered them with extra xp per kill and quicker recovery from injury.

I've only put up one additional satelite, over the States, so i think China may leave the project soon if i don't help them out.

No fancy kit beyong nano-vests yet but i have a nice roster of veterans coming on. Learnt a fair bit of what to and not to do since my first playthrough.
  • fletch7100 12 Oct 2012 09:39:59 7,432 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Normal is good to learn the tech tree, base building, how the game works. Work out how you want to deploy your troops suited to your style

I tried impossible difficulty first. First alien shot panicked one soldier who killed his teammate , which then turned another soldier into a gibbering wreck. Battle lasted under a few minutes :)
  • fletch7100 12 Oct 2012 09:43:42 7,432 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Didn't bother with the nano vests, either frags or health kits. Get the carapace armour. Doesn't take long to get and is worth it. Still haven't researched the arc thrower yet :)
  • Whizzo 12 Oct 2012 09:45:48 43,268 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Loving Run and Gun for last ditch desperation, running straight up to a sectoid and blasting them at point blank range with a shotgun is great.

Doing the same to a thin man brought on some coughing though but I was going to be in all sorts of trouble otherwise!

This space left intentionally blank.

• L_Franko Moderator 12 Oct 2012 09:51:51 9,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Congratulations LFranko on your recent promotion. You are hence forth known as Sergeant El 'Tectonic' Franko!
    Awesome :)

You are now going to be part of my first ever squad when I start my campaign tonight along with fletch.
  • fletch7100 12 Oct 2012 09:55:16 7,432 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @L_Franko

Sorry about getting you killed off on your 3rd mission. You was an unstoppable killing machine until that error I made. In fact it was bit like the scene in the other guys with the rock and Samuel l Jackson jumping off the roof. I thought you was indestructible :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 12 Oct 2012 10:01:31 35,785 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Started a new game on normal/ironman after I was (deleiberately) pretty careless and tried out all kinds of stuff, and for now it really is quite easy. 10 missions or so in and I haven't lost a single soldier. Will finish this, and then play classic the next time.
  • shamblemonkee 12 Oct 2012 10:06:03 14,572 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @fletch7100 I've only tended to put them on my shotgun guy and heavy who tend ot be in the thick of it.

I usually run those two with two snipers and psychokitten as a medic with smoke grenades. :D
  • spindle9988 12 Oct 2012 10:07:51 3,660 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @revan8

Cool thanks mate. It is such a tough choice. I really want both but can only afford one. Just gonna flip a coin at lunch time as I am sure I will enjoy both
  • Whizzo 12 Oct 2012 10:08:29 43,268 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still very early in the game (unlocking at midnight is awesome...) but I'm glad I had nano-vests on everyone in my last mission otherwise it would have be 75% losses (and probably total failure as one wounded guy did most of the work) rather than 25%.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Trowel 12 Oct 2012 10:09:31 18,016 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Puff piece on the BBC website today about XCOM, ostensibly about resurrection of old gaming brands.
  • Leolian 12 Oct 2012 10:22:39 1,090 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    New patch has brought in region locking. Little worried that I won't be able to play as I unlocked with a VPN... Anyone affected by this?
  • BeheretiK 12 Oct 2012 10:25:04 884 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Leolian I unlocked it on Tuesday using VPN and today I have been connected normally (no VPN) and all appears to be OK. Unless there is something specific with multiplayer which I haven't tried yet, it looks good.

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• agparrot 12 Oct 2012 10:34:54 11,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well then!

I couldn't stop playing it yesterday. I managed to grab the TV at some point late yesterday afternoon, and navigated almost burning my roast dinner in order to play, play and play some more.

Fired up the tutorial at first, on Classic difficulty without Ironman (I was so excited I wasn't paying attention at the difficulty selection screen). Had a few missions with it, but decided I wanted to start from scratch once I'd figured out where the Ironman selector was.

It's rather brilliant, in my not so humble opinion. All of the little worries I had about the tactical gameplay alterations, and the streamlining, have all lifted from my mind completely, as I've become absorbed entirely by the wonder of something familiar and yet different. This must be what it is like for those nutters who get divorced and then marry the same person again - falling in love with all the same things as the first time around, but somehow it all still feels novel and exciting.

The strategic layer on Classic difficulty is a bit of a nightmare - as others have mentioned cash is a real problem, and there doesn't seem to be any way of prioritising such that something doesn't go wrong. If you stick your money into satellites, then you have less cash for making valuable equipment or facilities. Lord alone knows when I'll be able to afford another interceptor, and in my abandoned 'tutorial' game I already lost a satellite when pesky aliens shot it down, safe in the knowledge that I had no interceptor cover on the continent I was flying the satellite over. The whole shortage of stuff you need is frankly quite brilliant, and gripping. The way you are rewarded with monthly bonuses of cash, engineers and scientists for countries over which you fly satellites is also really cleanly thought through, and adds another layer to your coverage decisions.

Then the mission selections, and the way that you must choose to try and fight geographically to keep the panic levels down, whilst also targeting the most useful rewards for the XCom project, is another tense balancing of priorities. This balancing act is given all the more weight by the choice of where you put your first base, not so much because of the bonus you have chosen by choosing your location, but because of the four bonuses you've given up by not choosing one of the others.

The battle stuff is great - reminiscent of the original whilst, hallelujah, streamlining rather than dumbing down. I had grave reservations about not having the granularity of Time Units, but this works really well, especially once some of the (wonderfully balanced) soldier abilities come into play.

I have lost Russia, and parts of Africa are dangerously orange on the panic-o-meter, and base expansion means my net monthly income is worryingly low. Overall my troop losses have been low, with one particularly heroic sacrifice by my best medic Emma Thomas, a grave loss, as she gave her last medkit to Captain 'Tectonic' knowing that any further wounds she took would be fatal. Sure enough, a wounded sectoid caught her hunkering down between a car and a blasted concrete pillar, and despite John Cusack's attempts to down him with a sniper rifle as he approached, she gave her life distracting the sectoid for long enough for Terry Pratchett to rush in and stun the freakish critter.

Ironman means she'll never, ever come back. Unless I rename one of the replacement killers in her honour, of course. Oh, Chow Yun Fat - there's an idea for a name!
  • fletch7100 12 Oct 2012 10:38:24 7,432 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @shamblemonkee

Have my heavy sitting back behind assault and support soldiers. Then sniper sitting behind the heavy. Only had 4 squad members on classic for a very long time. The battles were always brutish. Strange that pyschokitten also became a support class in my game as well
  • PenguinJim 12 Oct 2012 10:43:16 5,943 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I feel I should point out that I was entirely joking earlier about this game being completable in four hours. It was a reference to Dishonored (which is, as everybody knows, 20 hours long). I am not being coerced into writing this. Ignore my bleeding nose. :-P
  • Red_Bool 12 Oct 2012 10:46:52 1,174 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @agparrot - Inspiring write-up! Having only played the original briefly on the PS1, I have the demo downloaded and ready to try. The only worry I have is that this type of strategy game for me personally works best on a portable device (FFT-A, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem).

The other problem's that there's just TOO MANY FRIGGIN GOOD GAMES COMING OUT!!! AARGH!
  • Deleted user 12 October 2012 10:50:56
    Picked this up this morning on PS3. Opted for this after being less than impressed with Resident Evil 6.
  • RedSparrows 12 Oct 2012 10:52:51 23,854 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lies! It works best on PC.

Which is why I am being super impatient and buying it for 360

>.>
  • Tryhard 12 Oct 2012 10:52:59 4,200 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Okay, Roland Smedberg the guy who does the BF3 trailers wants me to use his name as one of my squad members.So I will have my first squad named after Dice employees.So anyone waiting on BF4 my have a long wait.

Roland Smedberg "If you give one my name and have him survive until the end, many songs will be sung of you and your exploits! :D"
  • RedSparrows 12 Oct 2012 11:02:50 23,854 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, anyone spotted any grand self-important post anywhere on the web, denouncing Firaxis as the spawn of Satan and claiming this game is an insult?
  • shamblemonkee 12 Oct 2012 11:04:00 14,572 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bet htere are a few on the official forums, always are.
  • L_Franko Moderator 12 Oct 2012 11:04:19 9,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have to wait an hour before I can drive into town to grab a copy and then have to wait a further 4 hours until I can play it. Why didn't I take a half day!

The great write up from Mr Parrot isn't helping my impatience.
  • GiarcYekrub 12 Oct 2012 11:08:39 3,823 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Where is cheapest for this?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 12 Oct 2012 11:08:48 26,316 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have to fly to Ireland tonight for some shitty wedding of someone I've met about 4 times. Pfft.

Do they not realise the doom clock is ticking?
  • agparrot 12 Oct 2012 11:09:19 11,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    So, anyone spotted any grand self-important post anywhere on the web, denouncing Firaxis as the spawn of Satan and claiming this game is an insult?
    Fuck those guys! I mean I don't know if El_Muerko's potential bug is a real thing, or if there are things later in the game that are broken, but so far, I haven't been disappointed by any of it, and I was much more unreasonably over-excited about XCOM than anyone I know.

L_Franko wrote:
    The great write up from Mr Parrot isn't helping my impatience.

I should point out that the stuff I typed about in the Strategic layer - the tension of making decisions and the scarcity of resources, is probably not present in the same way at Normal difficulty, but for me I think these elements make the game as gripping as the original at Classic. It's a plate-spinning act where you are left in the knowledge that your decisions are going to break some of them, and you can't just save the ones that are nearest together to make it easier for yourself.
  • RedSparrows 12 Oct 2012 11:10:36 23,854 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tbh I found the original pretty easy at a Strategic level until you put it on one of the three lower [in the list] difficulties.

Find Alien stuff. Sell. Profit.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last