XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 36

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• fletch7100 11 Oct 2012 21:40:44 7,446 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Congratulations to newly promoted captain Emma "richter" Thompson 7 missions and 21 kills. Last mission featured missile launcher triple kill of floaters. Can't wait until she gets a plasma gun :)
  • AaronTurner 11 Oct 2012 21:42:48 7,886 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seriously, can you stain mutons? Three times its failed now and they were all on 2 health.
  • AaronTurner 11 Oct 2012 21:46:33 7,886 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I mean stun :(
  • AaronTurner 11 Oct 2012 21:47:50 7,886 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got a guy on 32 kills now, I'm actively trying to curb his kill rate so that others get a go.
  • shamblemonkee 11 Oct 2012 21:59:09 14,661 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Here's the later half of a mission i got earlier to defuse a bomb, some lucky escapes and brash moves... this game is tense.

There's a Thin Man deployment near the end that had me facepalming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQCdOu44Wf4&feature=youtu.be

Edited by shamblemonkee at 22:03:03 11-10-2012
  • dominalien 11 Oct 2012 21:59:33 7,071 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just had a chance to try the demo and my, this is rather good, isn't it? Even if it does end on a rather bizzare "look, it's the ship from Alien/Prometheus!" note. Definitely one to add to my backlog.

PSN: DonOsito

• Snufkin 11 Oct 2012 22:47:11 47 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Argh! Desperately want to stay up and play but am soooo sleepy.....
    On a different note, just come home from watching the Lion King musical. Rather bloody excellent.
  • shamblemonkee 11 Oct 2012 23:06:14 14,661 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Congratulations LFranko on your recent promotion. You are hence forth known as Sergeant El 'Tectonic' Franko!
  • 1Dgaf 11 Oct 2012 23:17:03 3,977 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It ended badly. Robotron, terrifed, running back to the evac point without realising that Spacewar was still alive. Still alive, wounded, poisoned and surrounded by chrysalids and zombies.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 23:17:26 11-10-2012

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• StarchildHypocrethes 11 Oct 2012 23:28:14 26,631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Seriously, can you stain mutons? Three times its failed now and they were all on 2 health.
    Yeah, I just captured one a couple of missions ago. Think it was at 2 health at the time.
  • Petrarch 12 Oct 2012 00:15:54 3,563 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Taking flipping ages to unpack on Steam.
  • Rodriguez 12 Oct 2012 01:39:41 1,119 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thoroughly enjoying the time I had with this tonight/this morning (really must get to bed soon!)

I opted for Classic difficulty minus Ironman and played through the tutorial, but it seemed to seamlessly run into the main game without any warning?? So I started again without the tutorial so I could place my base where I wanted, rather than the restricted USA/Europe choice the tutorial gives you. Decided to go with Asia for my base location to get 50% 'Foundry' discounts later on, which I assume will be weapons and armour etc.

I've done about 3 missions on my new game, the last being a 'hard' mission in Australia to stop abductions that went really well and have so far only lost one soldier on the first mission, so not too bad. My squad currently consists of Sniper Wolf, Richard Pryor, Bobby Davro and Russ Abbot with Boris Becker in reserve :D haha! I also opted to focus on researching armour first, as I'm guessing survivability is initially more important than better weapons tech.

Anyway, can't wait to play again!
  • El_MUERkO 12 Oct 2012 03:10:11 17,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've had the below happen to me. Warning this spoiler may piss you off:

[QUOTE]I know that enemies will "teleport" in at random places in the battlefield. Often happens with Thinmen during rescue or bomb missions. However what I'm describing is completely different.

Now, I've taken a habit of using my SHIV to bait groups of aliens into my waiting XCOM agents that can ambush them. However, I've noticed not for the first time something weird happening.

I would send my SHIV up front, and it will spot a group of aliens. I dash my SHIV back to my agents and try to put the SHIV out of line of sight to the aliens.
    Then, on the next turn, one of the aliens will suddenly appear way behind the SHIV, usually right in the middle of my group of agents that take care of it.

However this is very weird. How did it just appear there like that? I've got a very bad suspicion that this might be the way the game attempts to flank you.

Here's what I think happens:
    For instance, you have your soldiers holed up somewhere and they do NOT have a line of sight on the aliens (but they had spotted them earlier), thus you (the player) do not know where the aliens are moving. Behind the scenes the game then moves the alien some place behind your soldiers and approaches from the back, in order to flank your soldiers. So instead of ACTUALLY moving the aliens according to the same rules that your soldiers follow (and aliens do when your soldiers can see them), the game cheats and does this as a way to simulate flanking.

Has anyone seen this kind of thing happen? Can you suggest another reason for this? If this is some weird bug that's fine, I'm sure it'll be fixed soon, but if it's not I'd like to figure out why this happens.
    [/QUOTE]

Edited by El_MUERkO at 03:11:11 12-10-2012
  • Petrarch 12 Oct 2012 03:52:35 3,563 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got a few hours with this tonight and absolutely loving it. Decided to plonk the base in Europe and research is coming along nicely.

Thus far in the field the troops have taken a number of injuries but so far we've suffered no losses and captured a few live aliens. Currently researching an armour upgrade and I've already got access to laser weaponary though I lack the necessary engineers to construct them atm. Also of concern is that the panic level in the UK & Japan is a bit on the high side so it's time to get some more eyes in the sky sooner rather than later.

Money, as always, is starting to be a bit of an issue.
  • 1Dgaf 12 Oct 2012 03:57:38 3,977 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was the australia mission that went tits up for me. I pushed a rookie sniper up too far and, well.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• Archronos 12 Oct 2012 06:26:56 24 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just played my first night of it and it was fantastic. I just logged off after my first alien base raid which ended in a successful capture of my first Sectoid Commander (alive), with the brave soldier who went in to capture him getting shot in the chest but living to bag his grey. You get sooooo much loot from a successful base haul, didn't have time to look through it all before I logged but there was stuff like 80+ alloys, countless corpses, alien equipment and weapons.
  • Scimarad 12 Oct 2012 06:30:34 8,638 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @1Dgaf

I think Spacewar really needed to have 1 last grenade at that point...
  • Deleted user 12 October 2012 07:07:50
    Guess x com selling better than amazon predicted as they only have 1 xbox copy left and 4 ps3 copies.

Not doing the numbers it should though, sales rank 20 on all amazon products, which is still good, dishonored rank 2.

Edited by revan8 at 07:10:57 12-10-2012
  • fletch7100 12 Oct 2012 07:39:43 7,446 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Right, failed on classic after 200 days, some strange decisions on my part brought on by tiredness and rushing. Once I got plasma weapons my soldiers were killing everything. Had a good run of missions and lost no one. Back at base, constant struggle to get money, everything was always tense and I felt the pressure.

Breaking point was I did 5 missions in a row that were classed as difficult, each one was easy and had no casualties. So feeling overconfident, strolled into another difficult abduction mission. On a small map 9 mutons, spinning disc and 3 flying drones later my squad was wiped out. Mutons I could handle, the spinning disc was the problem as everyone in my squad couldn't hit it. Was even prepared with heat ammo for when I meet robots in battle. Just no luck. Squadmates breaking, panicking,killing each other. Thought to myself I need a rest from this :)

Oh well, thought I look at normal mode and that is too easy after playing on classic. No pressure from trying to manage your base with limited resources
  • munki83 12 Oct 2012 07:50:20 1,457 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Happy XCOM day.... now Mr Postman hurry up and deliver my copy
  • THFourteen 12 Oct 2012 07:57:11 34,483 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    has anyone played this on iOS?

http://www.aliensvshumansapp.com/

Looked promising
  • Deleted user 12 October 2012 07:57:52
    Is the difference between classic and normal less resources and less hit points?
  • PenguinJim 12 Oct 2012 08:03:51 6,020 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can complete Normal mode in about four hours, from what I've heard.
  • fletch7100 12 Oct 2012 08:17:18 7,446 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @revan8

Start of with less resources so you have to juggle your base making around. Countries panic levels rise much quicker as well. Firsttime on classic I was struggling to make money, normal mode have got loads of spare cash so I have no money worries

You need more satellites to make money, need carapace armour, plasma rifles and get that officer school built so you can expand your squad, get extra exp from kills etc. just so you have a fighting chance.

Enemies have more accuracy, bit more aggressive in tactics, higher numbers, more health etc

Once your squad is stronger then most battles go well, sometimes enemy mess things up for you with a new alien to fight. Keep your veterans alive, losing them and relying on rookies is never much fun:). Rotate your squad so rookies get some experience as well.

It's the base building you have to get right first.
  • AaronTurner 12 Oct 2012 08:27:23 7,886 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @PenguinJim I'd imagine that's right if you hit all your objectives first time and research all the priorities and then play with extreme skill. The question is, would you want to do that on Ironman mode? The point of the game is to juggle your resources and the research, you want to maximise the amount of research you can do whilst keeping as many countries backing you as is possible.

In other words, you can play it that way but why would you want to?
  • Deleted user 12 October 2012 08:27:55
    Thanks, sounds like classic then. Don't see the point in normal if you have too much money. Defeats the point of base management.
  • spindle9988 12 Oct 2012 08:41:43 3,676 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mmmm. Should I get this or dishonored? Can this game really be completed in 4 hours? If so both these games seem a bit short
  • Deleted user 12 October 2012 08:46:55
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Mmmm. Should I get this or dishonored? Can this game really be completed in 4 hours? If so both these games seem a bit short
    Do u believe everything u read?

Both are much longer.
  • fletch7100 12 Oct 2012 08:55:29 7,446 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If those 4 hour rumours are true then it's a speed run on easy. Skyrim main story speed run can be done in 2 and half hours by that games makers. Then you never get the idea of the game if you do a speed run

From the developers 12-15 on normal,20 odd hours on classic and impossible.

I put in about 8 hours yesterday on classic ironman , not even close to finishing the game

Edited by fletch7100 at 08:56:31 12-10-2012
  • Page

of 130 First / Last