Los Angeles for 3/4 days

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • WiseGuy 5 Jan 2012 10:52:37 149 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Firstly, apologies if there is a similar thread about this. I had a look but since the web site has updated (got pants) it never looks completely right in my work.

So im heading to West Coast of America for 2 weeks in August with WiseGirl and we are thinking of spending 3 or 4 days in L.A. Obviously its massive and i have heard that its a bit of a nightmare to get around in without a car. Where this becomes a problem is we definately want to sample some nightlife and definately dont want to do it sober! From watching Swingers I can tell that a designated driver is useful but we wont have it.

So im looking for advice on where to stay to get the best feel for the place given we are only there a short time. It wont just be a drink fest as we do want to see and do other stuff so any tips on that are most welcome too. just had it in my head that the nightlife part may be the most problematic....
  • cianchristopher 5 Jan 2012 10:57:36 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Beverly Hills Hotel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Hills_Hotel
  • Dougs 5 Jan 2012 11:03:32 68,372 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The public transport is actually OK, certainly for getting around during the day. But there's really not a great deal to see/do in LA - couple of nights should do it. Hollywood/Santa Monica and that's about it.
  • TheSaint 5 Jan 2012 11:22:20 14,602 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've stayed in Hollywood and Santa Monica, Santa Monica was much nicer with the beach and restaurants / night life on the 3rd street promenade. Public transport is pretty non-existent out that way though so you would need a car. In Hollywood you have the subway to reach down town but we found it got pretty dodgy if you went more than a block or so from Hollywood Blvd.

Long Beach or Anaheim might also be worth considering. Aside from visiting Universal or Disneyland you could do an organised tour and see all the sites in a day. We did the Warner Bros tour as well which was interesting, saw the sets for shows like Studio 60 and Friends.

Plenty of nicer places to spend your time in California though. San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, San Diego and the drive around Big Sur were our favourites.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2012 10:29:33
    I was really impressed with this place when I was in LA. It seemed really good value, with big rooms (with kitchen area) that looked out to the Hollywood sign. It was only two blocks from the Chinese Theatre, but felt a million miles away. It had a nice pool too.

I'd not worry about a car as they work out a bit pricey to rent and taxis would be cheaper (or bus). The Getty Museum was quite nice (stuck out on a rock it looks pretty impressive). Muscle Beach was tiny and disappointing and Rodeo Drive was worth a walk down to feel like you were In Pretty Woman (and they ignore you just about as much as in the film). I remember going to Spago's (Beverley Hills) when I was there and it was really amazing food and not amazing prices (http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/fine-dining/3635) with a chance of bumping into some film stars.

I stayed at Maison 140 which was nice but a bit pricey and beyond the bar I cant recall a lot about the place. Some actress was staying there when I was there, but cant recall her name. It was a nice location if you're on foot, but a bit of a boutique place.

I appreciated a hire ca to "escape" LA and head north to wine coutnry. That was good. Rest of the time I was just on foot.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next