Assassins's Creed III Page 27

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• FatsoJetson 15 Jan 2013 01:05:28 302 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I must be damaged in the head because I'm loving this.

Contrary to the prevailing opinion I like the way all the different mechanics fit together and the way they've streamlined the various systems works for me.

Hanging people using rope darts never gets old, nor does unleashing a volley of canonballs and watching them shred through several gunboats.

I also like Connor, I like that he's a serious, angry young man. Much as I loved Ezio, he was always a bit jovial for someone who saw half his family murdered in his early formative years.
  • Tuffty 16 Jan 2013 09:28:05 1,507 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To justify it some, the assassinations in the past games have never been pure stealth missions at night and I believe that is the intention. I remember it being mentioned before that the creed wants these assassinations to be open, of using the crowd to blend in and then carry out the assassination in public in order to send a message. Maybe. I'd have to check.

I like the game, it just feels like 15 hrs in I feel like the tutorial section is over and the game is really revealing itself. One thing that kinda sticks out at me is Connor's "training". Granted this is a wider issue that doesn't just apply to AC3, but let me describe it anyway,

To me, if you're training to be an assassin, you are going to be taught how to perform the art of assassination and even in combat. So Connor heads out to this assassin mentor to be trained, to learn. However the story dictates that before then Connor has to defend himself against a bunch of guards. But honestly, it looked like he didn't need to be trained at all. If you are somewhat decent with the combat at this point then you can kill those guards with all the grace of a master assassin already and Connor shows no remorse at killing another human or being in that situation for the first time. I think he doesn't need training.

Like I said, it is a wider issue, AC2 was worse. At least with Connor there is some justification in that he is an experienced huntsman at that age with the physique of someone living in the wilderness. Ezio was a city playboy who never had to defend for his life before, and now he kills multiple guards in sword combat. Same with Far Cry 3, rich city kid can aim guns at guards with perfect precision, killing without remorse.

It's a weird issue of when gameplay doesn't match the narrative and it happens frequently in origin stories. If it was me, I would just have Connor be completely defenseless in that situation. He should have the crap kicked out of him or be gravely wounded, make that be part of his character development. Make the missions afterwards teach Connor (and you) about combat and how the mechanics work. I think it would be more empowering to start off like that and then reach a point in the game where you feel untouchable after learning and practicing for a while.

Edited by Tuffty at 09:30:52 16-01-2013
  • nickthegun 16 Jan 2013 09:43:04 58,907 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well I managed to finish this at the weekend with a massive 40% completion rate. Its just so unfocussed, you never feel like doing anything else other than the main missions. At least when you were bound to a single city, you became familiar with it after zig zagging around it for a few hours. I couldnt even tell Boston and new york apart even by the end of the game.

And the main missions arent even that great. Follow him, chase that, instantly fail this and, for a game that delighted in sending you on missions three maps away, if I choose to fast travel to new york, dont give me a loading sequence, dump me on the other side of the same map and make me walk three paces backwards to trigger ANOTHER loading sequence.

Its not all bad and there are great flashes there but assassins creed is no longer a day one game for me.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• caligari 20 Jan 2013 22:16:45 17,000 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't know if I'm just sick of console games in general, but this is another one (Far Cry 3 being the last) that I can't be bothered to finish.

Some really lovely environments and an interesting setting - the snow effects are also fantastic - but apart from that, it feels as though you've seen and done everything by the time that you get to New York.

The characters are all painfully dull - and Christ, thank God that you can skip the (many) cut-scenes.

There's also barely any kind of threat - it's just too bloody easy.

I sound painfully hip when I say this, but I've had far more fun peeing about on Botanicula for the last hour or so.

Edited by caligari at 22:17:59 20-01-2013
  • Charlie_Miso 21 Jan 2013 03:21:25 1,191 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished this and gave myself a huge pat on the back for pushing through what pretty much was a woeful game.

You know your screwed when you look forward to the Desmond bits, which were not even very good themselves.

This started in Revelations but there is far, far too much walking from cut scene to cut scene even when it's a matter of steps. This must stop.

Bring back Ezio. Or give us a Haytham game.
  • Whizzo 21 Jan 2013 09:23:26 43,038 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AC3 is probably the best example of why annualising games that are narrative based is really bad idea.

It does tons of stuff, unfortunately not a lot of it very well and ceases to be much more a trudge than fun but you plough on because you just want to finish it.

Then you get to the end and the pay off is fucking rubbish.

Too much superfluous crap, too little entertainment.

This space left intentionally blank.

• nickthegun 21 Jan 2013 09:47:23 58,907 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dont think the annualisation really had anything to do with it, to be honest. The effort and the craft were there but there were just too many wrong decisions.

The setting wasnt great storywise and mechanically, meaning that they had to prop the free running up with the irritating frontier sections because the towns were pretty poor environments to hop around.

Then to compound the misery, the main missions didnt involve assassinating anyone because the lives and deaths of people around that era are fairly well documented, leading to lots of chasing about like a cunt.

I know it reviewed well but I dont think the player feedback has been great and it would be very interesting to see the gathered stats on the percentage of people who bothered to finish it and the percentage of people who did more than one homestead mission and so on.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Zackv4861 26 Jan 2013 13:56:10 1,082 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm trying to like this i really am. I'm a massive fan of previous AC games but this i think i hate not dislike but actually hate. The frontier is an aweful place, it feels somewhat clunkier than the other games and i hate the desynchronisation on missions or only half sync. I didn't like it in Botherhood or Revelations either mind but it's worse here.

I'm not even sure i can finish it for the storyline. Just completed Syncquence 7
  • Darth_Flibble 26 Jan 2013 14:50:48 1,626 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the annualisation of the series has affected the game, with brotherhood it looked like it was not going to be a problem (although the game felt a bit rushed at the end) AC:R had some really dull new gameplay ideas added and the main story was bit dull, altair's stuff could of been done as DLC for brotherhood. AC3 had some new ideas that were terrible. in short: yearly games make the devs throwing half baked ideas
  • DFawkes 26 Jan 2013 15:18:41 22,619 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing is, wasn't AC3 developed separately to the others? It was given years in development, so I don't think annualisation of the series can be blamed much for anything wrong with core gameplay of AC3, apart from stuff that has come across from Brotherhood/Revelations when they've been developed in parallel.

Edited by DFawkes at 15:19:11 26-01-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Syrette 26 Jan 2013 15:59:43 43,125 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    3 was developed primarily by the core 1 and 2 team, I believe. As in since 2, a number of employees at Ubi Montreal were working on this title and nothing else.

It's worth pointing out for those that don't know that the Montreal studio is huuuuge. Like multiple times the size of a lot of devs in terms of workforce. Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Prince of Persia... they're all done there. So they can work on multiple titles at a time. No doubt they're working on AC4 as we speak, as well as a couple more Connor Assassin's Creeds.

• Syrette 26 Jan 2013 15:59:53 43,125 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted

• Syrette 26 Jan 2013 16:00:51 43,125 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fix

• Darth_Flibble 26 Jan 2013 16:48:38 1,626 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know ubisoft asked gamers what time period they want the game set in and it wasn't when brotherhood was made. Guessing they were going to do the american Independence thing any way

My main problem with AC3 it did't feel like an assassin game and the tall buildings were sorely missed. Imagine the best elements of Hitman blood money with AC world. Thats what the devs should be going for imo
  • Zackv4861 26 Jan 2013 17:22:15 1,082 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nope it's on ebay!! I can't face it anymore.
  • Syrette 26 Jan 2013 17:24:20 43,125 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sure how you can have such a polarised opinion of the game compared to all the others in the franchise, if I'm honest.

• Raiko101 26 Jan 2013 18:18:45 6,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I like that the environments are different this time. It's just the controls aren't amazing (still) and the frontier is a bit dull. Maybe the homestead should have been the frontier, so you'e got a base between cities and other small settlements, with out having to travel miles at a time. One overworld map with your homestead, all the forts, small towns, a hunting area and connections to the cities. That and a ton of side missions that actually make themselves aware to you, explain themselves and have purpose.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Zackv4861 26 Jan 2013 21:33:20 1,082 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Not sure how you can have such a polarised opinion of the game compared to all the others in the franchise, if I'm honest.
    Honestly i'm not sure myself. I love the others and the franchise. I can pick out bits i don't like and quite a few of them but there's something bigger i can't quite put my finger on and it just doesn't gel with me. Perhaps i'm all Assassin'd out i don't know.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 16:50:00
    Three hours in, sums up most AAA games for me. Loads of style, excellent production values etc etc with pretty shit actual game. I hope it improves.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 20:29:01
    Yep, this is shit. Call of duty and this sell crazy amounts.. :/
  • liamthemaster 16 Feb 2013 21:07:37 1,559 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I loved AC:II but god this is boring so far, I'd say I've only played it for 3-4 hours since I got it on release and it just isn't hooking me. It's crazy how little has changed since the last one I played 2 years before.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 21:15:29
    I enjoyed one, hated two and thought I would give three a shot. Terrible, I don't want to play hide and seek. Zzz
  • theguy 16 Feb 2013 21:18:17 652 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    liamthemaster wrote:
    I loved AC:II but god this is boring so far, I'd say I've only played it for 3-4 hours since I got it on release and it just isn't hooking me. It's crazy how little has changed since the last one I played 2 years before.
    It does pick up at about sequence 6/7
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 21:19:42
    I hope so, I'm on 4. Zzz
  • Deleted user 19 February 2013 14:46:35
    I hope assassins creed 4 is just a navy warfare based game. By far the best part of 3.
  • timetraveler 20 Feb 2013 08:22:09 61 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    And which Assassins do you like the most? I'm thinking where to start. I heard Brotherhood is great. Can you agree with that?
  • ILoveThrashMetal 20 Feb 2013 08:29:34 671 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    timetraveler wrote:
    And which Assassins do you like the most? I'm thinking where to start. I heard Brotherhood is great. Can you agree with that?
    Personally number 2 and brotherhood are by far the best. Revelations was pants and I'm still getting to grips with 3.

Arsechickens

• Deleted user 20 February 2013 08:31:02
    If you not played any just go straight to 3, it has got a good intro movie explaining and there are good YouTube videos to quickly inform you of key story points.

3 is has more in it than 1 and 2 combined.

I finished all navy missions last night, oh my the final battle was intense. Taking on three man o' war ships with my ship that was never upgraded as I never have any money was amazing. Thank god for the storm, saved my butt.
  • Ultrasoundwave 20 Feb 2013 08:43:59 3,270 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote:
    timetraveler wrote:
    Personally number 2 and brotherhood are by far the best. Revelations was pants and I'm still getting to grips with 3.
    Yeah i'd agree with that.

2 is an excellent game and Brotherhood expanded on it really nicely, also adding the very under-rated MP.

3 is currently on the back-burner with me, havent played it for a couple of months. I think i got up to Chapter 7 or 8 before i realised its the type of game you can completely lose yourself in due to its sheer size.

Soon as Dead Space 3 is finished i'll be heading back to the frontier...

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• AccidentProne 20 Feb 2013 08:57:41 1,154 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Another vote for 2 and Brotherhood. In my opinion Brotherhood just pips 2 for top spot, but I think you'd be missing out on a lot if you jumped straight in to that one. Ezio is such a great character and the settings of those two are the best in the series, in my opinion.

I played through 3 soon after completing Revelations and found both to be a bit of a chore to be honest. The naval battles in 3 are great though, it's probably those that kept me going. Just wasn't as keen on the setting overall really.
  • Page

of 30 First / Last