Registered 7 years ago
    Not sure if serious.
  • the_dudefather 2 Jan 2013 17:13:07 9,288 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    From a different article they have

Descriptions of some fun video games:

1. “World of Warcraft. Gamers are driven by Satan to become a “devilwhore.”
    2. “Assassin's Creed” Gamers kill popes and politicians to protect thieves and devil worshipers.
    3. “Sky Rim” Gamers have sex with people hung upside down while talking with Satan.
    4. “Dubstep Guns” Hippie culture, gun violence, and sadism for the flower power generation.
    5. “Portal2” Gamers compete to use their penises to create “glory holes” through masturbation.
    6. “Dr. Who” A time-traveling pedophile breaks into childrens' rooms to molest them and kill their mothers.
    7. “Pokemon” Japanese drug dealers have fun killing everyone.
    8. “RapeLay” Gamers rape women and their daughters
    9. “Princess Peach's Pool” Gamers see who can ingest the most hallucinogenic drugs.
    10. “Carmageddon” Gamers ram pedestrians into steaming piles of bloody flesh. The tagline on the box says: “The racing game for the chemically imbalanced.”
    11. Gears of War 2 Gamers slice foes with a chainsaw from the groin upward and use a corpse as a shield.
    12. Manhunt Gamers decapitate, steel-object-to-the-brain impaling and jam a sickle up a victim's rectum.
    13. Grand Theft Auto III Gamers steal cars, beat people to death and burn prostitutes with flamethrowers.
    14. Postal 2 allows gamers to “go postal” with drop-kick grenades, whip scythes killing innocent people, cat carcasses as silencers on guns, hitting people with anthrax-laden cow heads and playing “fetch” with dogs using severed heads of dismembered victims.
    Edited by the_dudefather at 17:17:31 02-01-2013

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• Raiko101 3 Jan 2013 00:01:40 6,219 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Now, i've just started this game and i've one complaint. The game doesn't explain itself very well.

Firstly, having not played a game in the series in over a year, it would have been nice to have been treated to a more in depth tutorial, as with the first game. I didn't know how to change weapons or assassinate people until midway through the second sequence. I've also got no idea what system emails are or how to access them. Yet the game keeps telling me about them.

The controls aten't perfect either, but i've got used to them twice before.

Edited by Raiko101 at 00:02:13 03-01-2013

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Syrette 3 Jan 2013 00:28:03 43,335 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's all in the in-game manual, I do believe.

The game does a poor job of explaining things, agreed.

• Spong 3 Jan 2013 00:48:22 525 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    The game doesn't explain itself very well.
    Get used to that, seriously. Corner kills, the Homestead trading, the Encyclopaedia of the Common Man, a bowling game you're forced into playing at one point - none of it is explained properly (or at all in the case of the bowling game).

Raiko101 wrote:
    I've also got no idea what system emails are or how to access them. Yet the game keeps telling me about them.
    If you're still wondering about that, you have to exit the Animus and then access Desmond's laptop.

Edited by Spong at 01:27:10 03-01-2013
  • superdelphinus 3 Jan 2013 07:48:04 8,051 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes for a game where a lot of it is a series of tutorials, it doesn't explain itself particularly well. I finished the game without really understanding any of the homestead stuff
  • StarchildHypocrethes 3 Jan 2013 08:19:32 25,649 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, whilst I've really been enjoying it so far, there's a hell of a lot that's not explained, even for someone whose played all the other games.

Anyone know what the deal is with these guys who seem to randomly turn up with red icons above their heads, then leg it and attract all the guards in the area?
  • Spong 3 Jan 2013 16:30:02 525 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Anyone know what the deal is with these guys who seem to randomly turn up with red icons above their heads, then leg it and attract all the guards in the area?
    They're couriers. You need to catch one (tackle, not assassinate) to complete one of thief challenges. There was a problem with them until recently though, countless people (including myself) got stuck because couriers simply wouldn't appear, or you'd see one in about five or six hours of play. But that got addressed in a patch and now, apparently, they appear much more frequently.

Edited by Spong at 16:31:00 03-01-2013
  • ronuds 3 Jan 2013 16:36:01 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haven't they had couriers in every AC?
  • askew 3 Jan 2013 16:46:41 12,180 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I must say, having had this for Christmas, that it is pretty bloody dull. Five hours I've played so far, and only just been able to leave the Indian village. I get the need for a certain degree of hand-holding, but blow me: the hunting and tree-running 'tutorials' were dire.

Edit:

superdelphinus wrote:
    Some notes:

I think there was far too much emphasis on cut scenes and teaching you something new every bloody 5 minutes. Sometimes there was about 15 seconds between one cut scene and the next.
    This and Nick's comment at the bottom of last page nail it.

Edited by askew at 16:48:42 03-01-2013
  • StarchildHypocrethes 3 Jan 2013 17:00:50 25,649 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really enjoyed the whole Haytham section. I quite liked the way it (so far seems to have) set up the narrative for the rest of the game and give it a bit more depth than the old "muahaha these guys are bad - kill them" setup of previous games.

It's probably caught me at the right time though, when I'm in the mood for something big and slower paced.
  • captbirdseye 3 Jan 2013 19:35:45 4,888 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They really need a game focused on just the Naval battles.
  • Spong 3 Jan 2013 20:02:29 525 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    They really need a game focused on just the Naval battles.
    I was absolutely loathed to hear about the naval warfare thing at first, I was convinced it was going to be the worst thing ever. As it transpired, I think it's one of the jewels in AC3's crown and I was genuinely gutted to see its role in the game was so short-lived. Can't believe they never had some kind of random scenario generator, or that it wasn't added to the multiplayer. I think multiplayer naval warfare would've been amazing.
  • MrWonderstuff 5 Jan 2013 02:07:54 1,925 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished this and had a fab time. Story was good and the dialogue wasnt too shabby - Haytham was brilliant. Collecting, exploring, ship stuff, combat was fab. Didn't craft much. The breadth of the game was staggering.
  • Raiko101 5 Jan 2013 10:18:26 6,219 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wouldn't say i'm not enjoying it, because I am, but it's been a mildly frustrating experience so far. I'm on sequence 5 now, I think, but as i've been warned, the game continues to half-explain itself, or in some cases, not at all. For the hunting tutorial, when something is finally explained, the instructions disappear off of the screen before i'm able to finish reading them and it doesn't ever appear again. So then follows 15 minutes of trying to hunt a single dear, wondering why it is I can't use my bow at all.

I know i'm still quite early on in the game, but the impression i'm getting is that i'm playing a half-baked game. The execution of the tutorials and challenges aren't great and i've covered a lot of ground to achieve next to nothing. It's not an easily-accessible game either, control-wise, so it's easy to see why some people would give up early on.

I'm no longer a fan of the Animus either. I liked the idea in the first game, and I liked the Adam & Eve clips in the 2nd, but now it all seems a bit poop. I'd rather these stories told seperately, leading up to a final game in the series, that could have been based in the present.

/Rant over. Off to play more of it.

• Raiko101 6 Jan 2013 19:04:39 6,219 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Seeing as all i've done so far is knock the game, I think it's only fair to say i'm quite enjoying it now. I'm on Sequence 6 and the game has opened up somewhat. Now i'm more familiar with the hunting, naval and fight mechanics, the game is so much less frustrating. It's also good to be able to play at my own pace. Spent a good 3 hours looking out feathers, treasures and sync spots.

• Raiko101 6 Jan 2013 20:21:30 6,219 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DarkSpaceDS I needed them. I didn't play Brotherhood or Revelations and so was no longer used to the confusing controls.

• nickthegun 6 Jan 2013 20:24:41 59,515 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They changed them for the worse anyway. Its quitw a different control scheme.

And I think when the dust settles and they analyse the player data it will be quite obvious to them thay they wasted a lot of time and effort.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• nickthegun 6 Jan 2013 21:38:59 59,515 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh. I just got a message saying 'You are in the top 50% in the world for starting riots'.

I have started 2.

• Raiko101 6 Jan 2013 23:17:28 6,219 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What console are you playing on? I hit the top 50% on pretty much everything I did, on my first attempt, playing on Wii U.

• Steve_Perry 7 Jan 2013 08:50:52 3,918 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Raiko101 8 Jan 2013 01:35:01 6,219 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If they're done right, it's fine. It's just most games drag them out and make them boring. This game goes one step further though, by being so half-assed about it. I'm still figuring things out that just aren't explained anywhere or only part explained, or only explained once, very quickly.

This game is so poorly made in that respect. It's possibly the worst i've ever seen.

• andy10 8 Jan 2013 03:38:09 115 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've only managed 3-4 bursts of single player Assassin's Creed 3 since I got it at launch. Agree that it does a poor job of explaining itself - it has the longest tutorial of any game I can think of, but also one of the least effective that's left me utterly confused as to how all the systems fit together.

The homestead dawdling is one of the strangest. I spent 20 minutes running around to collect a load of artifacts or relics but have no idea what I got in return for it. I then noticed there was an 'available conversation' so ran to the other end of the map to talk to some loggers' wives. In return I get some banal dialogue and somehow unlock a trophy in the mansion. Eh?

I'm hoping it'll find its feet as I get further into the game, and I loved my first glimpse of the naval section. But it has a feeling of a game where they tried to crowbar in all the ideas they could think of without properly testing if they were fun or not. Brotherhood had such a perfect balance of story and side-quests but this one feels so bogged down.

The multiplayer, on the other hand, is excellent. Never expected to see the day where I'd play more multiplayer Assassin's Creed than the single player...
  • telboy007 8 Jan 2013 11:08:41 430 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So I unlocked a system email right near the end of the game and due to me playing on and a certain something happening I'll never be able to read it. Genius!

Grumble aside...

This game is brilliant in my opinion, easily ranking as one of the best in the series. But then I even enjoyed the first AC, something could be wrong with me I don't know. :) The naval battle sections were excellent, can't believe how well they did that.

I think I'm about 50+ hours in and just about understand how everything works now, took a long time before I knew what that common man thing was about. Why couldn't it have just said scan the people as they do different activities?

Quite a fun* mini game unlocked after all the credits have rolled with some interesting rewards.

* read: badly explained.

Edit: Aha! http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/621797-assassins-creed-iii/faqs/65281 for all those in the same boat as me. :)

Edited by telboy007 at 11:12:36 08-01-2013

Unlocked the achievement Exploring Uranus

• captbirdseye 8 Jan 2013 11:29:58 4,888 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really don't know what to make of this after finishing it last night. I found the setting an interesting one but for me it just doesn't work that well with the game mechanics compared with the previous games. I mean running around the 2nd one was a joy on rooftops etc but in this one I just found the city's baron.

Haytham and Connor are two of the most mundane leads for a game that I can remember and I by the end I just wanted to assassinate them myself and not one other character stuck out for me which is a bad sign.

A lot of the side stuff is pretty pointless ie fetch that or kill that etc and add nothing to the overall game - less said about hunting the better.

However, I did enjoy the fighting (if a little simplistic) and the Naval sections are an absolute joy and something that really should become a standalone game (even if they feel a bit odd for this game).

Also, the game never really makes you feel like a lethal assassin as the game seems hell bent on making sure you fight in open spaces in front of the whole population, or with some awful on the rails section.

One last thing - fuck off with million and one cut scenes.
  • askew 8 Jan 2013 12:30:33 12,180 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I get annoyed at being told to keep my infamy level under two, but then get tasked with taking out a group of tax collectors. Cue bells tolling and every bloody regular and militia man pouring down on my location.
  • nickthegun 8 Jan 2013 12:35:31 59,515 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any chase mission with an insta-death condition needs to be killed.

QUICK! CHASE THIS GUY! but dont kill him even though a non lethal takedown is finnicky or let him get to this bunch of guards. And dont hold R down too much or you will run up a wall and he will get away.

Have fun!

Edited by nickthegun at 12:40:34 08-01-2013

• captbirdseye 8 Jan 2013 12:39:13 4,888 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah the instant run up wall while running is a pain especially when the game is littered with awful chase sequences.
  • Page

of 30 First / Last