Assassins's Creed III Page 22

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• spamdangled 13 Nov 2012 00:10:36 27,356 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Syrette

You seem to have ignored the bit where I clearly stated that I'm really enjoying it.

That doesn't mean I can't see its faults.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Syrette 13 Nov 2012 00:33:04 43,594 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I did see that bit, guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Don't get me wrong, it's flawed whatever way you look at it. One man's padding out is another man's extension of fun, I guess.

:)

• andytheadequate 13 Nov 2012 00:42:42 8,219 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Seeing as though it sold hundreds of thousands that isn't very many.

How does this compare to AC2 then? The setting intrigues me but haven't enjoyed AC since 2
    I'm really enjoying it, but it does feel like for every step forward they've taken, thry've taken another step back in design.

If you thought that previous games went overboard padding out gameplay with collecting macguffins then you may weep at this one. Feathers, almanac pages, treasure chests, trinkets, seekingly endless weapon unlocks that are more often than not worse than what you start with, all of the wildlife in each region needs to be separately discovered and hunted (so for an example you can't just kill a raccoon, you have to find and kill one in every single region), a seemingly neverending amount of repetitive side missions, homestead inhabitants, outfits... It never seems to end and is a really, really cheap way of padding out gameplay length and huge, largely empty environments.

Asset reuse is also pretty shocking, even by series standards.
    I tend to ignore most side quests/ collectables, so it shouldn't bother me too much. How are the main story missions? Can you actually be stealthy now, or does the main character still do that stupid thing where he cradles his victim after assassinating them, which then turns into a Benny Hill type escape from a million guards?
  • spamdangled 13 Nov 2012 01:23:33 27,356 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There is scope to be stealthy (one mission has an optional objective to remain undetected until you kill your target). HOWEVER, annoyances with the contextual controls like the need to be approaching something from exactly the right angle in order to ensure to grab it mean that in practice they end up being extremely frustrating. This also extends to the chase objectives, of which there are a lot, which makes those missions particularly an exercise in trying to resist the temptation to throw your pad at the wall after you desynchronise yet again because of the really poor and imprecise free running control.

And yeah, you still have the long converaations with your targets after killing them, though they seem more often than not to immediately end the sequence rather than requiring an escape afterwards.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• mikeck 13 Nov 2012 10:30:43 1,936 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @darkmorgado Yes, a full game of this gameplay would actually be quite awesome!
  • mikeck 13 Nov 2012 10:32:07 1,936 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    MadCaddy13 wrote:
    The 2nd peg leg mission really let me down. I though it was going to be an awesome exploration mission, but it was just a quick chase section that lasted about 2 mins. It looked like such a good setting! Hardly saw it :(

Theyre pretty much all like that really - every one I've plated so far has been a cool little set piece, but incredibly brief.

I'm really disappointed we haven't seen the return of all the hiden symbols and riddles from AC2. They were one of my favourite parts and a really cool way of fleshing out the lore of the series.
    I was thinking that last night too, slowly seeing the video of Adam and Eve unfold as you solved (quite devilish) puzzles is something I've missed in this game.
  • andytheadequate 13 Nov 2012 13:24:29 8,219 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I find the the overarching template story to be completely unnecessary anyway, I'd rather they just stick with the historical settings. The end of AC2 was just embarrassing.

And surely how interesting a setting is is a very subjective thing? Personally the American setting is far more interesting to me than the Crusades and Renaissance.
  • disusedgenius 13 Nov 2012 13:27:09 5,359 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I quite like the setting, but then I'm just quite enjoying wandering in the woods for the sake of it. The cities are a little plain (the fact that most of the synchronise points in Boston seem to be a copy and pasted church doesn't speak well in terms of landmarks) but it's a decent change of pace and scale.

I'm still holding out for one set in Victorian London, mind. But if they're going to carry on with one a year they're going to get around to everywhere eventually!
  • disusedgenius 13 Nov 2012 13:57:33 5,359 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The main streets may be a bit wide, but there's enough smaller allyways and space inside the city blocks to make it work, imo. It took me ages to work out why I couldn't shake redcoats until I realised that diving into the smaller areas was the way to go (until they find you, flood in and you have to make a break across the main streets to get to another potential safe zone). In fact the contrast between these two types of spaces makes for quite a different type of chase than in the other games.
  • spamdangled 13 Nov 2012 14:18:12 27,356 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know this conversation has been had a few times, but I was thinking last night that playing an Assassin in Berlin in 20s, 30s and 40s would be pretty cool.

After all, we already know Hitler was a Templar.

• disusedgenius 13 Nov 2012 14:20:35 5,359 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fuck it, you could do that as a cross-Europe setting.
  • spamdangled 13 Nov 2012 14:30:19 27,356 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cold War-era Moscow could be another good one.

Though I worry that moving it too much into the modern era would undermine the combat mechanics as firearms become more prevalent.

• Big-Swiss 13 Nov 2012 14:58:14 8,119 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it is great, that the Animus can take you anywhere!
    thanks to that implemented Scinece fiction, it will be possible to have perhaps diffrent settings in diffrent times. Would mean you would have a game with diffrent seperate gameplay phases. could be interesting!

I think this series could remain awesome, and I do see and admit to its flaws this time, but overall I think they did a good enough job for the money you pay for the game.

I do however hope, that it will be a bit more assassin style in the future. They should make the assassinations the core game, and do battle type of gameplay as side missions. They did mess that up, and did it the other way around.

my point is, it doesen't take that much improvement to make a 10/10 game out of this series again!!
  • Syrette 13 Nov 2012 15:42:40 43,594 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    HOWEVER, annoyances with the contextual controls like the need to be approaching something from exactly the right angle in order to ensure to grab it mean that in practice they end up being extremely frustrating. This also extends to the chase objectives, of which there are a lot, which makes those missions particularly an exercise in trying to resist the temptation to throw your pad at the wall after you desynchronise yet again because of the really poor and imprecise free running control.
    I must be lucky because I've not had a single problem with the controls/physics at any point during my playthrough thus far. If anything it's all been too easy and simplified.

• kingnothing12 13 Nov 2012 16:17:45 568 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well i've just completed sequence 9 and all the frontier has returned to snow, now this may very well look nice but by God does it make travelling slow. I'm having to call my horse to go everywhere and the bastard keeps getting stuck.

Still Really enjoying the game though.
  • fragglerocks 14 Nov 2012 00:34:21 302 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ugh this game made me throw my controller across the room twice yesterday. The first when my horse got stuck in/on a tree that was clearly miles away and the second time when a guard spotted me through a tree (despite me not being able to see him). Both caused me to fail my current mission.
    It's such a shame as I love the feel of the game and jumping through trees hunting deer is so enjoyable.
    Sigh I'm sure I'll get over it.
  • Syrette 14 Nov 2012 01:18:22 43,594 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted

• Syrette 14 Nov 2012 01:22:52 43,594 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If anyone else has trouble with the naval privateer mission optional objective (like I did), this advice worked for me the first time I used it. After spending a good hour or so getting frustrated with trying to ram the ships etc.

Alright I'll go over how I did it since I don't trust people's advice on the internet as law. Once I got used to my method I could reveal weak points about 95% of the time reliably. What I did was start with the chain shot to make them stop, which is important. Then after all 3 are dead in the water I sailed in front of them, but a little to the right or left so I could still see their sides.I used HEAT ROUNDS and aimed the volley square at the front of their ship, but the side of the front. Either side of the ship doesn't matter just aim most of your firing line at the front end-side of the ship. Now I know people use round shot, but apparently you have to be very accurate and sometimes more than once. With heat shot you just let that baby fly and in one quick shot the weak point is exposed.

I won't lie to you, getting your firing position lined up can be rough, but once you get used to it it's not so bad. OH I almost forgot, since the sea is so wavey for the love of god make sure you are almost level with the ship when you fire. If you are too high it may hit their deck instead of the front-side portion. If you slam their deck with the heat shot volley then you pretty much have to retry. So line up your shot, take your time, and be as level as you can get. Once I figured out all 3 of these steps I got it my first go, and it helped me immensely for the full synch on Sequence 11 memory 1. I wish you the best of luck because this is a tough one.
    Edited by Syrette at 01:23:26 14-11-2012

• Gaol 16 Nov 2012 12:19:57 2,420 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm enjoying the game but it's really unfinished. So far, just from memory, I've experienced:

- Liberation missions disappear from map
    - The viewpoints in the frontier don't reveal local stuff properly
    - The fast travel locations in frontier appear/disappear from map
    - Unable to access Connor's inventory from ledgers outside the homestead
    - Infinitely spawning enemies in North Boston
    - Naval missions causing consumables to disappear from inventory
    - Hunting cabins don't show on map after receiving invitation
  • BOBBYLUPO 16 Nov 2012 13:35:55 99 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I've had all the liberation missions disappear in North Boston. The game does such a poor job explaining what you're supposed to be doing that I'm often not sure what's a bug and what's poor design.

Either way, I'm going to stop playing now until they patch it.

PSN: BOBBYLUPO
    www.idbuythatforadollar.co.uk

• spamdangled 16 Nov 2012 15:39:39 27,356 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I'm in the post-game now.

Can someone explain what this Pivot thing is all about? It looks like a rather large chunk of gameplay but i went to the toilet during the credits so missed any explanation.

• Iain815 16 Nov 2012 15:58:29 412 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't recall them ever explaining the Pivot thing, and I even sat through all the credits.

Apparently all they do is unlock cheats and you need to be connected to the internet for it to work.
  • Page

of 30 First / Last