How not to do PR for your new controller by Ocean Marketing

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 27 Dec 2011 10:25:57 37,379 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apparently there's some new controller called the "Avenger". Never heard of it myself, but the company Ocean Marketing are clearly run by a complete douchebag. One guy found out when he emailed asking for an update on the (missed) release date of the controller, he gets responses like this:

You just got told bitch Ö welcome to the real internet check kotaku in 2 weeks when they are reviewing free PS3 Avengers we send them as well as G4 and all the other majors hell yeah , donít forget to check Amazon, gamestop.com, play n trade , Myers , Frys and a ton of other local stores coming your way you think you speak for billions son your just a kid you speak for yourself no one cares what you think thatís why were growing and moving 20-50 thousand controllers a month. We do value our customers but sometimes we get children like you we just have to put you in the corner with your im stupid hat on. See you at CES , E3 , Pax East Ö.? Oh wait you have to ask mom and pa dukes your not an industry professional and you have no money on snap you just got told.
    Thing is, the customer had CC'd a load of people in including Mike Krahulik of Penny Arcade. The PAX East comment gets his attention and tells Mr Ocean Marketing that they will no longer have a stall at future PAX events. Doesn't stop the dude from arguing back.

So yeah, Ocean Marketing your company sucks at PR.

http://penny-arcade.com/2011/12/26/just-wow1

Edited by DDevil at 10:26:08 27-12-2011

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• dominalien 27 Dec 2011 10:51:49 6,839 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh, that's quite something.

Also, look at the title again, DD ;)

PSN: DonOsito

• Mekanik 27 Dec 2011 11:27:20 3,442 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow, just wow. Own goal much Ocean Marketing?

That guy sounds as though he`s a 17 year old with a hangover.
  • ubergine 27 Dec 2011 11:29:21 2,090 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think this thing has to be a wind-up. Dave and Paul must be in on it! Every gaming news site on the Internet is. ow talking about this controller I've never heard of.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Mr-Brett 27 Dec 2011 11:30:28 12,723 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's worth reading the whole thing. Also the guy is currently being destroyed on twitter.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Syrette 27 Dec 2011 11:54:54 43,107 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Customer didn't help by calling him a douche etc first. I mean the guy is still the one in the wrong but it's not like the customer was being polite (understandably) and was then subjected to a barrage of insults.

Edited by Syrette at 11:55:59 27-12-2011

• Syrette 27 Dec 2011 11:55:32 43,107 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted

• ScoutTech 27 Dec 2011 12:03:39 2,423 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's interesting to watch how these things play out now, not only between the people involved but all the fire fighting at the edges. Just seen Scott Lowe from IGN's feed, normal stuff, bits of tech, orange juice comment then full on PR mode making sure he doesn't get associated with the Ocean Marketing guy.

What a world we live in :D
  • PenguinJim 27 Dec 2011 12:26:29 5,758 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for sharing, DDevil, this and this have made my day. :)

Syrette wrote:
    Customer didn't help by calling him a douche etc first. I mean the guy is still the one in the wrong but it's not like the customer was being polite (understandably) and was then subjected to a barrage of insults.
    Read it again. After some ridiculous and unhelpful responses regarding the changing release date (and his first email mentions he wants one as a Christmas gift), the customer was very polite and did make a mention of later orders getting a $10 discount before being subjected to this:
    Ocean Marketing wrote:
    no one is allowed to cancel and re order if we catch anyone doing it we will simply just cancel your order all together and you can buy it retail somewhere else.
    Ocean Marketing wrote:
    Feel free to cancel we need the units were back ordered 11,000 units so your 2 will be gone fast. Maybe Iíll put them on eBay for 150.00 myself.
    Only then did the customer say anything that could be construed as impolite.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2011 12:27:05
    Hate to admit it but he has got publicity for the product. I have no clue what an avenger controller is, but am resisting searching for it.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2011 12:29:06
    Nah, it wasn't being 'construed as impolite' it was throwing insults in response to shit customer service.

However, it eventually went beyond shit customer service to the point of complete cuntness.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2011 12:31:04
    slow news day?
  • Deleted user 27 December 2011 12:32:21
    Post deleted
  • Syrette 27 Dec 2011 12:36:59 43,107 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Thanks for sharing, DDevil, this and this have made my day. :)

Syrette wrote:
    Read it again. After some ridiculous and unhelpful responses regarding the changing release date (and his first email mentions he wants one as a Christmas gift), the customer was very polite and did make a mention of later orders getting a $10 discount before being subjected to this:
    Ocean Marketing wrote:
    no one is allowed to cancel and re order if we catch anyone doing it we will simply just cancel your order all together and you can buy it retail somewhere else.
    Ocean Marketing wrote:
    Feel free to cancel we need the units were back ordered 11,000 units so your 2 will be gone fast. Maybe Iíll put them on eBay for 150.00 myself.
    Only then did the customer say anything that could be construed as impolite.
    No, I don't need to read it again. The Ocean guy goes from very rude and obnoxious (i.e. your quotes) to simply offensive after the customer starts calling him a douche.

Again - customer's stance is totally understandable. Ocean guy should never deal with customers again (who knows what the rest of the employees of that company are like).

• skuzzbag 27 Dec 2011 13:03:52 5,637 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    slow news day?
    Yes, no game related chat here please!
  • Whizzo 27 Dec 2011 14:26:05 43,038 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    First Go Daddy and now this bunch, companies killing themselves on the internet is fun to watch.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Mekanik 27 Dec 2011 14:36:10 3,442 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    this have made my day. :)
    Fantastic!!

Edit: bloody link fail.....never mind. you get the drift.

Edited by Mekanik at 14:38:33 27-12-2011
  • Mekanik 27 Dec 2011 14:36:32 3,442 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • neilka 27 Dec 2011 15:05:09 15,677 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's certainly a marketing approach that could catch on.

"BMW: Every Single One Of Our Customers Is An Utter Cunt"
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 27 Dec 2011 20:19:47 37,379 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Turns out Paul from Ocean Marketing is also a massive plagiarist.

Gosh.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Whizzo 27 Dec 2011 20:26:13 43,038 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The fact he dumped his misspelt Twitter account (which has now been grabbed by someone) for another misspelt one is fantastic.

I think this level of awesome needs to be moved into general gaming too, they make a 360 one as well, the Amazon bombed review shows that.

This space left intentionally blank.

• FWB 27 Dec 2011 20:32:31 43,860 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The guy is mentally ill, I think.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2011 20:40:16
    UPDATE 4: Just got off phone with Paul. Figured I'd call Paul for his Transcript ID and Access Code to verify his MS Certs and get a statement, see if he's on suicide watch yet. To my surprise, he answered his phone. Seemed pleasant. He was unsure what I was talking about when I asked for his Transcript ID and access code for the MS Cert program. I confronted him on the plagiarized site and he hung up. I also planned on asking him his education level and if he graduated Newbury College but was unable to.
    Bit far no?
  • BurnoutJunkie 27 Dec 2011 21:28:55 681 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Turns out Paul from Ocean Marketing is also a massive plagiarist.

Gosh.
    Love the user comment on that page:

"Who plagiarizes an about us section? If you can't describe the business you're running, you really shouldn't be running it to begin with..."

Hahahaha.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2011 21:34:36
    I think Paul is the fucking bees knees.
  • President_Weasel 27 Dec 2011 22:00:57 8,984 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't believe he got into a pissing match with one half (well OK there's Robert who makes the money stuff work and I guess they must have staff of some kind, but still Penny Arcade is basically Jerry and Mike) - he must be working on the "no publicity is bad publicity" theory, although it does look from that email chain that he suddenly realised what he'd done and tried to walk it back.
  • Zizoo 27 Dec 2011 22:30:33 8,115 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fella has got himself fired.

Chat on the interwebz that he was into steroids, tropical fish and impersonating other staff members etc.
  • brainbird 27 Dec 2011 22:32:17 2,209 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kotaku with the steroid news.
  • Zizoo 27 Dec 2011 22:45:48 8,115 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Another example of Paul's PR:

Nate:

from Nathan Stansell nate@natesnetwork.com via gmail.com
    to Ocean Marketing
    date Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    subject Re: N-Control Shop: New Order #

Are you serious?
    Dude, i didnt give you my address because you didnt ask for it.
    I assumed it was because you had it from the previous order, you know, the whole reason this problem exists in the first place... :-(
    Since its probably too much work for anyone there to look it up, here it is!
    Nathan Stansell
    Address removed
    No address here

Your product is great, customer service is abysmal!

I understand that there is no tracking number, and im ok with that.
    From this email out, i wont waste anymore time begging you guys for what you originally promised.
    If it doesn't show up within 30 days, ill take you to small claims. I will not waste another moment dealing with this incompetence. And from the president of the company no less. Dear god...

-Nate Stansell
    Paul:
    from Ocean Marketing pchristoforo@gmail.com
    to Nathan Stansell
    date Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    subject RE: N-Control Shop: New Order #

Buddy your asking for free stuff and I am trying to help you , You have no idea what happened to our ordering system or our old customer service reps that told you they were going to send you a 100% COUPON AND FREE CONTROLLER but never did . So calm yourself down , be respectful and do as I say or ask to get your free controller. I DEAD SERIOUS ! Be a little more humble we can refuse the right to ship out anything to anyone we want , Iím trying to help you. Small claims court for 49 dollars haha Ö thatís cute . Iím the President of my company not The Avengers so keep your punk smite ignorant comments to yourself. If I wasnít trying to help you I wouldnít have emailed you back. Customer service of old is gone were in a new generation now. Sorry for any inconvenience , this will ship tomorrow Iím putting in the order now .

No need to beg a simple reply to the email with your address would have been sufficient, and according to you your order already shipped how do we know you never received it ?

Anyway Ill make sure its made good and you get The New Avenger learn to be more understanding when you donít know whats going on behind the scenes.

Your order will ship tomorrow thanks for your email have a good one.
    I DEAD SERIOUS!
  • Dirtbox 27 Dec 2011 22:53:11 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Been watching this unfold since late last night, a reddit mong has collated all the ways it's going wrong for him here.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous