Anime 'Classics' box set

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • renzo 7 Dec 2004 09:32:09 3,195 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is this worth getting? It's a box set of 3 movies which include: Ghost In The Shell, Akira, and Ninja Scroll. Out of those three I've only watched Ghost In The Shell, which I quite liked, and I've only ever heard of Akira, which is supposed some sort of classic. Or so I'm told. Ninja Scroll I've never heard of.

I was thinking of getting Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex 01 as well. Anyone got any comments on this one?
  • President_Weasel 7 Dec 2004 09:34:38 9,376 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    they're all good, but check that it's the subtitled Akira or at least that there are subtitle options, cos it's not such a a good dub. Akira is genius, espeicially if you've never seen it and particularly if you can catch it on a big screen with decent speakers.
    Ninja Scroll is a bit more comic-booky, but it's more than decent.
  • Retroid Moderator 7 Dec 2004 09:35:56 44,803 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Akira = classic

GitS: Stand Alone Complex is supposed to be FAR closer to the manga than that bloody film

Ninja Scroll = never saw what people liked about it. It's alright.
  • renzo 7 Dec 2004 09:41:07 3,195 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    President Weasel wrote:
    they're all good, but check that it's the subtitled Akira or at least that there are subtitle options, cos it's not such a a good dub.
    Unfortunately they don't give much info on the audio options of each movie. The one in the bundle is the 'standard edition', whereas the 'Special Edition' one they have listed on the site has a Japanese language option.
  • President_Weasel 7 Dec 2004 09:42:53 9,376 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    Ninja Scroll: Good stuff. Not the most complicated film ever made, but a good fun ride for as long as it lasts. Worth a look.

exactly!
  • renzo 7 Dec 2004 09:50:50 3,195 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    From the responses it seems that it's worth it. At that price I don't stand to lose too much. :)
  • [maven] 7 Dec 2004 09:54:08 5,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just make sure you don't get the R2 Manga release of Ghost in the Shell (film). The Japanese audio is ~1.5 seconds out of sync, which ruins the whole film. The earlier version had correct audio but the anamorphic flag set incorrectly. So either get the R1 release, or they may have fixed it with the special edition. Excellent film in my opinion (but I always like Oshii's "slowness" (e.g. Patlabor 2, Avalon) and mood).
    Ninja Scroll is shite IMO. Generic sex & violence crud which came over at a time where that was all that anime was known for (and thus sold well because people didn't know what good was).
    Akira is good but as mentioned may be a bit confusing, but I think the film works "on its own" as well. High point of traditional, hand-drawn animation.
    Stand Alone Complex is also good, but I would probably recommend getting the US DVDs as they are (usually) cheaper to come by. The series consists of plenty of "stand alone" episodes (i.e. no larger story arc at work) but also has some longer bits. Be aware though, that the whole series is 52 episodes long, and needs quite some "mental investment" to properly follow the complications of the story. Animation is excellent, the Tachikoma (Fuchikoma in the manga) are funny, and the music by Yoko Kanno is awesome.
  • semprini 7 Dec 2004 11:01:14 3,144 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was never that impressed with Ninja Scroll, it was okay but not one I would buy.

I like Ghost In The Shell, lovely animation and a good story. I haven't seen any SAC episodes yet, but was also quite interested in them. I've recently downloaded the first episode (or maybe first volume DVD, with 4 episodes) from BitTorrent, but haven't got round to sitting down to watch them yet. If they are good then I will try to find a good box set or something.

Akira is excellent stuff, like many have said.

Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for the set of three films as you can probably pick up Ghost In The Shell and the 2-disc Akira for cheaper.
  • Retroid Moderator 7 Dec 2004 11:14:59 44,803 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The 'pack' I've never understood was the Akira set of the newly restored edition and the original version.

O_o

WHY?
  • Rankin 7 Dec 2004 11:32:30 2,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kind of on the same subject, anyone know where I can find a region 2 DVD of Castle In The Sky?

I've been looking for ages with no luck :-(
  • renzo 7 Dec 2004 11:36:41 3,195 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rankin wrote:
    Kind of on the same subject, anyone know where I can find a region 2 DVD of Castle In The Sky?

I've been looking for ages with no luck :-(
    CD-Wow have it.
  • Foregone-Reality 7 Dec 2004 11:37:06 2,218 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hm. The UK Version of Ninja Scroll is edited, correct?

I enjoyed it. Also, Akira was very good; more particularly the redub over the 80s original english dub.

Ghost in the Shell : Genius.
  • renzo 7 Dec 2004 11:40:57 3,195 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh. Sorry, didn't notice the 'region 2' bit.
  • [maven] 7 Dec 2004 11:58:06 5,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    renzo wrote:
    Oh. Sorry, didn't notice the 'region 2' bit.
    Japanese release (R2). Expensive, but it's the 2 disc set with English subtitles and English audio as well.
    I've just seen there is an official Region 3 Ghibli Box Set, but it's 245Ä... :S
  • Rankin 7 Dec 2004 11:58:42 2,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers for the help guys. Amazon marketplace it'll have to be, then.
  • Tiger_Walts 7 Dec 2004 12:10:10 16,594 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have the UK R2 SE release of GitS; there is nothing wrong with the Japanese dub's timing.

SAC is very good, an amazing standard of animation for a TV series. The Tachikoma shorts NEED to be viewed with the Japanese dub.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• semprini 7 Dec 2004 12:14:16 3,144 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    [maven] wrote:
    I've just seen there is an official Region 3 Ghibli Box Set, but it's 245Ä... :S
    On the subject of Ghibli, anyone know any more about Howl's Moving Castle?

I see IMDB have release dates, but nothing for UK yet.
    Found some good clips and story outline on Nausicaa.net too.

Renzo, do you have any Ghibli movies yet? I'd make purchasing the Ghibli box set a higher priority than Akira, GitS or Ninja Scroll :)
  • Decoded 7 Dec 2004 12:17:01 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Foregone Reality wrote:

It was. Until the released of the 10th Anniversary Edition, which restored the missing footage and remastered the video.

And Ninja Scroll is anything but generic. It's a beautifully crafted story of love and revenge, with striking artwork, atmosphere and almost balletic violence. No, really. Just because something is made for adults doesn't mean it's t3h b4d :-)
  • Jesus-Action-Figure 7 Dec 2004 12:22:56 512 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Akira and Ghost in the Shell are classics, as many have opined here.

I tried to do a forum search which didn't work, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before or even has its own thread, but Spirited Away is the best jap animation film I've seen in a long while.

I can't really describe it without giving things away. Let's just say it's like a Manga version of Alice in Wonderland ;)

Well worth picking up, especially as the 2 disc edition is in HMV's buy one get one free campaign.
  • magicpanda 7 Dec 2004 12:26:07 13,370 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Decoded wrote:
    Foregone Reality wrote:

It was. Until the released of the 10th Anniversary Edition, which restored the missing footage and remastered the video.

And Ninja Scroll is anything but generic. It's a beautifully crafted story of love and revenge, with striking artwork, atmosphere and almost balletic violence. No, really. Just because something is made for adults doesn't mean it's t3h b4d :-)

I have the old version of ninja scroll.. what footage is missing? Its one of my favourtite manga films for exactly the reasons you describe. A class film with some incredible fight scenes that will be copied or plagurised *sp?! time and time again.
  • Decoded 7 Dec 2004 12:35:23 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a few seconds missing when the demon Tesai is sexually assaulting a comatose Kagero. It's nothing too bad at all, but the BBFC didn't like it back in 1993. Also brief footage of throwing stars, which the BBFC also considered terribly evil.
  • renzo 7 Dec 2004 12:38:48 3,195 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    semprini wrote:
    Renzo, do you have any Ghibli movies yet? I'd make purchasing the Ghibli box set a higher priority than Akira, GitS or Ninja Scroll :)
    Not yet. The only Studio Ghibli movie I've watched is Spirited Away, and I loved that. I don't really know where to start with the other ones though. Any recommendations?
  • semprini 7 Dec 2004 12:40:40 3,144 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jesus: Action Figure wrote:
    I tried to do a forum search which didn't work, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before or even has its own thread, but Spirited Away is the best jap animation film I've seen in a long while.

I can't really describe it without giving things away. Let's just say it's like a Manga version of Alice in Wonderland ;)

Well worth picking up, especially as the 2 disc edition is in HMV's buy one get one free campaign.

I think anyone who has seen it will agree with you. I picked up the 2-disc version while I was in Hong Kong. I'm sure there are a couple of Ghibli threads floating around, but it's worth mentioning the great movies again. Spirited Away has to be one of the best, but Mononoke and Totoro are also superb. Oh, and Laputa too.
  • cubbymoore 7 Dec 2004 12:42:10 36,497 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    Decoded wrote:

Plus, it's the only movie I've ever seen where someone is repeatedly headbutted into a bloody pulp through a floor.

You just don't see enough of that in movies...
    You haven't seen Irreversible then?
  • asphaltcowboy 7 Dec 2004 12:58:41 5,143 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    [maven] wrote:
    Akira is good but as mentioned may be a bit confusing, but I think the film works "on its own" as well. High point of traditional, hand-drawn animation.
    It makes sense to read the manga first: trying to fit over 2000 pages of manga into a 2 hour film is (arguably) very hard.
  • [maven] 7 Dec 2004 13:03:10 5,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    renzo:
    Try "My Neighbour Totoro" or "Porco Rosso".
    Or "Whisper of the Heart". Or "Princess Mononoke". Or "Nausicaš" (great manga, too - there's so much more in there). Or.... can't decide
    /head explodes ;)
  • Tiger_Walts 7 Dec 2004 14:14:48 16,594 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Classic Ghibli, fantabulastic! : Buena Vista Distribution, pure EVIL.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• cubbymoore 8 Dec 2004 00:34:12 36,497 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:
    You haven't seen Irreversible then?

No... Tell me it has something similar!
    Well there's the whole sequence with a guy getting his head literally caved in with a fire extinguisher, definitely not one to watch on a full stomach, if not because of that sequence but because you'll get so nauseous watching it you'll be scattering that Lamb Bhuna all over the creen in no time, breaking boundaries maybe, entertaining film it isn't >:/

Oh and there's the whole rape scene as well in case the rest didn't make you barf...
  • cubbymoore 8 Dec 2004 00:54:29 36,497 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Rankin 8 Dec 2004 16:47:27 2,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Found Castle In The Sky at 101cd.com. I'd never heard of them before, but my order has apparently been shipped.

Link in case anyone else wants a copy.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous