The Secret World Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Kostabi 29 Jul 2012 13:02:34 4,932 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm surprised there hasn't been more chat about this, although I guess with most MMO players waiting on GW2 it was inevitable.

Having put a few hours in a day for the last week or so it's easily my favourite MMO out of the box so far.

Oddest moment so far involved holding my iPhone to the speakers so I could decode some morse code that a mission required, breaking the fourth wall like that was brilliant.
  • ZuluHero 29 Jul 2012 14:10:18 4,175 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've had some really cool stand out moments. "the kingsmouth code" quest being one of then.

When the call them investigation missions, they aren't wrong! The level of effort the dev team has gone to, creating all the extra supporting websites and such is truly amazing.

I'm Deep into the savage coast ATM. The Blair witch style house really freaked me out, and wandering the halls of the school with ghosts and zombies really fills me with dread - has more than a nod towards silent hill about it. This has to be the first mmo that has actually scared me and made me jump.

Having played GW2a lot, TSW really is ahead of the typical mmo, both in setting and inventiveness!
  • BeheretiK 30 Jul 2012 08:35:16 883 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To celebrate the first month of Secret World, there will be some celebrations and prizes and such this weekend:

http://thesecretworld.com/news/celebrate_the_first_live_month_of_the_secret_world

Also, it is a free weekend for anyone with a Secret World account. So, if you were in the Beta for example you play for free this coming weekend.

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• curtlikesmeat 31 Jul 2012 11:38:39 128 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I see you guys talking about these amazing meta style quests but I haven't seen one yet. Am I looking in the wrong place? I've been running around Kingsmouth for a few days and have only seen quests of the 'go to X, kill Y' nature. I've found that a bit disappointing.

Other thoughts so far:

- thought combat was poor at first but enjoying it now I realised you can use two weapons at the same time.
    - voice acting is good.
    - world seems very small and just a series of instances.
    - I'm not sure what there is to do other than run round doing quests. Is there anything else? Is there much reason to go back to your home town after you leave?
    - after being treated to more modern character creation like Eve (and to a lesser extent APB) I thought TSW was a bit lacking.
    - no player housing? I thought they said they would include that pre-release? Would like to see more sandbox elements.

Not decided whether I'll subscribe after 30 days yet. Need to see some dungeons, pvp and more of these quests I am apparently missing!
  • BeheretiK 31 Jul 2012 12:09:10 883 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The meta style quests are the investigation quests (they have a green laptop icon) and there are at least 3 of them in Kingsmouth. I can't remember where they all are but at least one is from the priest in the church close to the Sheriff's office.

There isn't particularly much reason to go back once you have finished an area. At least I haven't needed to thus far. However, there are lairs in all areas which are high level areas for max level characters. Also, new content will add quests to those locations - for example the first update (released today actually) has new quests, including investigation quests, which I believe are located in Savage Coast.

Agreed on character creation being a bit limited. At least there are plenty of ways to change your appearance through clothing. From memory they are planning to release a cosmetic surgeon option at some point - not sure if this is only to change the existing options though or if it will include new character customization options.

I have decided to sub for another month. I have lots of content to finish, not counting the new quests today, so I figure another month will be worth it. Beyond that, no idea. I do like the dungeons and the PVP is OK, but all in all, once I have finished the available content that might be enough for me.

• curtlikesmeat 31 Jul 2012 19:07:14 128 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How do you define a max level char? Someone who's got a full deck or a certain number of points?
  • BeheretiK 1 Aug 2012 08:18:17 883 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No idea what the official definition would be. Technically I guess they would say there isn't any. It isn't really through skill or ability points as you can eventually gain them all, given time. I would say either Faction rank or gear. Faction always gains XP in everything you do so a higher level would indicate a higher level player. No idea what the max level is though. Otherwise QL10 (10.1 with upgrades) is the highest gear and what you would need if you are trying to do nightmare dungeons.

• ZuluHero 1 Aug 2012 09:09:55 4,175 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah look for computer icon quest. You can also find them hidden in the environment. It's sort of catch 22, in order to find the really deep quests you have to be able to find them first. It's sort of an initiation. Personally I feel like I've been ushered into a sort of inner ring when I find out secret information which is sort of what TSW is all about.

In regards to a high level chara, well if your maxed out In your chosen weapons and had all high spec gear then that would be a high level chara I guess. As most quests are repeatable then you could max out everything if you gave it enough time. I guess that you would be an über high lvl chara then :)

Edited by ZuluHero at 09:11:33 01-08-2012
  • curtlikesmeat 14 Aug 2012 19:58:18 128 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers guys. I found the computer quests and they were ok. One of the main problems with them is that Funcom's 'planted' websites are already buried beneath a mountain of spoiler and walkthrough websites so you sometimes have to go through several pages of google to find what you're looking for (not a laziness issue, just an immersion spoiling one I suppose). That or the solution is immediately apparent even when just glancing at the first page of google if you don't avert your eyes in time!

Regardless of that, I've cancelled my subscription for now. I guess it's crunch time as the one month is either here or arriving for most people. I quite like the game but am spending a fair bit of time with DayZ at the moment and I'm not really playing it enough to warrant the fairly high subscription fee (how they thought charging over £11 is a good idea when WoW is £8 something I have no idea). I will see how GW2 goes and maybe come back later.

TLDR; I think it's a decent effort that improves the genre in many ways but isn't a big enough step forward for me to warrant the big sub fee.

Edited by curtlikesmeat at 19:59:46 14-08-2012
  • AccidentProne 18 Sep 2012 17:55:08 1,165 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not much activity in here of late, anyone still playing this?

A mate just re-reviewed it on his blog and seems to be enjoying it still. Doing a pretty good job of persuading me to at least give it a go.

I have been trying to avoid MMOs entirely, but this does sound interesting. Then again, so does GW2 and although I thought my addiction was done, I've found myself considering getting a scroll of resurrection for WoW in time for Pandaria, must resist...
  • munki83 1 Jan 2013 22:41:59 1,436 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know some people on the site here are waiting for a bigger Steam discount on this but I got impatient and ordered it from Gamers Gate for £12.50
  • Deleted user 1 January 2013 22:51:58
    If you bought anything on Amazon.com in the Christmas sale, it's on the Editor's Choice for $12.99 (about eight quid).
  • munki83 1 Jan 2013 22:56:29 1,436 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Erk 15.4gb download....current estimate is 16 hours to download it....mite be able to play it tomorrow as long as nobody else in the house wants to use the internet
  • von_Doll 1 Jan 2013 23:14:51 2,107 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    munki83 wrote:
    Erk 15.4gb download....current estimate is 16 hours to download it....mite be able to play it tomorrow as long as nobody else in the house wants to use the internet
    Ditto.

Saw the post in the bargain thread, headed over to Amazon US to create an account as an all-American tax-dodging Delaware resident, then realised I didn't have a voucher.

But seeing as I was quite tempted at £40 + sub back in August, 18 moon bucks seemed alright.
  • Deleted user 2 January 2013 00:28:33
    Kinda want to give it a shot but is it actually free-to-play or is their extra tacked on paid-for shite involved?
  • spamdangled 2 Jan 2013 01:11:43 27,356 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There are mission expansions which can be purcchased as a micro-transaction (I think they're called Issues). I.E, "this issue introduces a new quest line, comes with these new items" etc.

All base content is free without subscription after buying the game.

If you choose an optional subscription you will get a store discount, bonus coins deposited into your account at the end of the month, and each month you will get certain bonus items that will give you one-time-use bonuses to things like faction rep gain for 12 hours, bonus experience for 12 hours, etc.

All items can be acquired in-game, so subscription isn't mandatory, it just comes with small bonuses depending on what type of subscription you choose (there are three ranks of player accounts, Initiates for non-subscribers, Master for a basic subscriber and another for an optional higher monthly fee).

That's how it looks to me, but I've literally only just started playing.

The graphic engine seems to chug a bit despite nothing hugely impressive-looking going on.

Edited by darkmorgado at 01:50:48 02-01-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 2 January 2013 01:45:33
    Fuck that so. Wouldn't mind but it sounded like a fresh take on the MMORPG genre.

Not dealing with twatty micro transaction horse shit and "levels" of account.
  • spamdangled 2 Jan 2013 01:48:50 27,356 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Fuck that so. Wouldn't mind but it sounded like a fresh take on the MMORPG genre.

Not dealing with twatty micro transaction horse shit and "levels" of account.
    It's not intrusive at all. You can do everything *without* spending money and it doesn't spam you with pop-ups saying "BUY THIS FROM THE STORE FOR ONLY 99p" stuff.

Subs help to fund content patches. If you don't have them, you need to cover the cost somehow.

From what I've read, the base game had enough content to last you at least 6 weeks. So even if you never spent a penny above the basic cost, there's still plenty of value for money there.

Edited by darkmorgado at 01:49:41 02-01-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• tincanrocket 2 Jan 2013 08:02:52 3,014 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I went for this on Amazon US - cheers for the tip meme. Installed overnight, so will give it a try later. Looks intriguing, and should be worth 8 quid, I reckon.
  • munki83 2 Jan 2013 10:34:22 1,436 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    11gb downloaded since last night 4.4 to go so got another 4/5 hours to kill before I can start playing :(
  • Dr.Haggard 2 Jan 2013 10:43:47 4,217 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone else had the problem with the patcher just filling up your disk and never completing? Third time trying to install the game now since buying it yesterday, and the final stage of the patcher fills all the available space on the drive and the progress bar just keeps going off the edge of the window - currently at about 33GB (of 15) this time round.

Looks like there's a couple of people on the official forums with the same problem but no solution.
  • munki83 2 Jan 2013 10:45:46 1,436 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ....don't say that it takes me 16 hours + to download....if this doesn't work Im blaming you :p
  • munki83 2 Jan 2013 16:33:51 1,436 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok it downloaded started as illuminati though my friend says I should go dragon
  • ZuluHero 2 Jan 2013 16:47:54 4,175 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm on Templar. Though I rarely play :p

Not sure it makes much difference tbh.
  • munki83 2 Jan 2013 17:19:09 1,436 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah ok then. Seems ok so far apart from the cut scenes don't have subtitles
  • WinterSnowblind 2 Jan 2013 17:43:34 1,243 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @darkmorgado I hate to bring up GW2 again, but that game also manages to get by without a subscription (although in fairness, being a much more popular game probably lets them get away with this) and all of the content updates for it have been completely free and they haven't exactly been minor. There's even bigger "expansion sized" updates coming in January and February, without cost.

GW2 will obviously do proper, big, paid expansions eventually as well, but the problem with charging for these smaller game updates that they're doing with TSW is that it divides the player base. You can very easily find yourself in a group/guild playing through content, only for half of the players to hit a brick wall when you start up a quest/go to an area that they haven't bought.

It's a decent alternative to a subscription that I can at least appreciate, but it's still not exactly ideal.
  • spamdangled 2 Jan 2013 18:56:56 27,356 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @WinterSnowblind

There's a slight difference between this and GW2 though, because this started off with a sub before switching, which means they had to find a way to appease existing people on a sub in a way that didn't involve issuing a blanket refund.

Other mmos do this too - DDO does it I think, and I believe LOTR does too.

• spamdangled 2 Jan 2013 19:41:45 27,356 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think its just suffered from oversaturation and too many companies chasing wow for a slice of the pie that has killed most innovation in the genre.

• Page

of 5 First / Last