The Secret World

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Nasty 17 Dec 2011 00:17:09 4,726 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Beta invites went out last week and it'll be running over the xmas period.

Weekend sorted.

Couldn't for the life of me find an existing thread on this so feel free to merge if someone else can.
  • Immaterial 19 Jan 2012 11:19:25 1,260 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How did it play? Just applied for the beta myself.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• Nasty 19 Jan 2012 14:50:23 4,726 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Like a half-filled bag of shit, floating down shit river on its way to shit ocean only to be eaten by a shit fish to be then caught by a shit fisherman who'll sell it to MacDonalds to make Fillet O' Fish sandwiches.

TSW will only be played by fat russians who buy it for their vifes.

In all seriousness, it lacked any kind of element of Fun at all. The engine is AoCs obviously but I was amazed at how poor it looked and how badly it ran even comared to AoC. The questing was stale and the gameplay completely uninvolving. I've done a ton of Betas for mmos, fps etc but even re-labeling this as pre-alpha quality, I really can't see this being a success unless they bin it all and start again. Such a shame :(
  • Pike 19 Jan 2012 14:57:05 13,431 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That sucks. I've loved everything they've shown in regards to the world and overall concept. I really hoped the game would be able to match the ideas.
  • Nasty 19 Jan 2012 15:00:53 4,726 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Quest 1. Go and disable all these CCTV cameras, we mustn't be seen.

Really? You're going with 15 minutes of running, with no abilities (or bad guys for that matter anyway) as your first quest?
  • Immaterial 19 Jan 2012 15:10:54 1,260 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fucksocks. This looked different enough to get me interested in MMOs again. I guess Funcom have sprinkled a little bit of their magic on a nice core idea then.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• curtlikesmeat 20 Feb 2012 22:42:12 125 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Man this is really disappointing - I've been looking forward to this for a few years now based on the setting alone. Would like to hear more if anyone else got in the beta?
  • MikeP 23 Feb 2012 10:26:25 1,676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A completely different opinion is being offered over at rockpapershotgun

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11/21/hands-on-the-secret-world/
  • curtlikesmeat 24 Feb 2012 00:21:42 125 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Interesting read MikeP, will probably have to play it to know.
  • SClaw 12 Apr 2012 08:27:45 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Any updates from anyone on this? Like to know where it stands now. My good judgement says it'll be shite but my heart whispers that it might be love at first sight if only I'd try.

Honestly, from the leaked beta vids I've seen its 50/50. Crap animation, poor character graphics but pretty backgrounds. Interesting looking settings but dull arse quests. I think the real seller with this one has to be the skill freedom... but no seems to say much about that.
  • ZuluHero 12 Apr 2012 09:30:45 3,663 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still, disabling 10 CCTV cameras, is slightly different to killing 10 Giant Rats :lol:

Edited by ZuluHero at 09:31:06 12-04-2012
  • SClaw 12 Apr 2012 12:47:50 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    It looks piss awful.
    Yeah. The more I see... the more I get AoC flashbacks. Never again. Never again.
  • Nasty 14 Apr 2012 14:21:24 4,726 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tried it again. Still devoid of any kind of fun.
  • Ranger_Ryu 8 May 2012 15:10:25 974 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    if anyone wants a beta key they have some on Gamespot
    http://uk.gamespot.com/event/codes/secret-world-pc/

US,UK and Australia only though

Edited by Ranger_Ryu at 15:10:49 08-05-2012
  • SClaw 11 May 2012 19:52:49 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Come on rodpad. Be fair. The... eh... it had... nice music?

Yeah. Nice music. That's all though. But credit where credit is due.

*uninstall*
  • Deleted user 12 May 2012 12:57:59
    Had great hopes for this but been trying it since yesterday lunchtime. Nice setting and background but it's just more MMO by the numbers. It's shockingly ugly and to be honest just screams 'Free to play in six months or less'.
  • Mr_interesting_2011 12 May 2012 13:43:38 93 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Downloading this now. Hoping for the best...fearing for the worst...

Hopefully it won;t been Age of Conan all over again
  • funkstar 12 May 2012 15:12:02 1,194 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    played for a couple hours last night, deleted after that :( shame it looked interesting but turned out bollocks. Also, isnt this due out it june? its in a bit of a bad state for something that close to release

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• Deleted user 12 May 2012 15:24:17
    funkstar wrote:
    played for a couple hours last night, deleted after that :( shame it looked interesting but turned out bollocks. Also, isnt this due out it june? its in a bit of a bad state for something that close to release
    Yeah, the phrase 'dog rough' is very applicable and was a big turn off for me.
  • Nostrus 10 Jun 2012 08:58:33 376 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So the game isn't good then? Oh well, I guess it'll be Mists of Pandaria until Pathfinder Online is released.
  • ZuluHero 10 Jun 2012 11:09:11 3,663 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really liked AoC for the first 20 levels. Will I like this?
  • SClaw 14 Jun 2012 14:27:35 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This was piss-awful and such, but I've vaguely followed the development anyway and have become interested again, mostly because the leakers say the latest patches have completely changed the game. We shall see from this weekend's beta (I think gamespot and nvidia have codes still).

I think I'm mostly giving this a second try because SWTOR has pissed me off so much though. Rose tinted and all that.
  • Mr_interesting_2011 14 Jun 2012 15:25:55 93 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I feel the same...

Really want to like this game as the setting is so much more interesting than a typical fantasy one.

Played in the first beta and is was pretty poor though...hopefully they will have turned it around (although with this being Funcom I'm not very optimistic).
  • Dgzter 14 Jun 2012 15:43:26 101 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got a key for this weekend, although I'm not particularly hopeful. The setting and atmosphere look fantastic, but *almost* everything I've read, opinions I've heard from previous beta testers and whatever videos are available on youtube, suggest that it's pretty gash. But I'm still vaguely interested, so will give it a shot.
  • SClaw 14 Jun 2012 16:28:15 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The setting is well swanky. I think it's just so different it feels refreshing. That said, London did not impress. I'm glad they are opening the other starting areas.

I'm hopeful... because people are saying they fixed most of the animation issues and added dodge, which I felt was sorely lacking. They also took the time to properly explain leveling up (bridging skills is very complex but really appealing for a number cruncher) and questing (in this game you just grab one quest from a hub rather than all of them, then that quest takes you to a second hub which eventually send you back to grab another one and so on; not very obvious but might be a nice change).

Ah yeah... this is a measure of how mad I am at SWTOR. I'm giving this game way too much rope. I'm just going to have to face facts; I'll be crawling back to WoW begging for generic polished turds like I always do after the shiney new MMOs turn out to be rubbish.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous