LEGO LEGO LEGO Page 10

• Page

of 120 First / Last

• FWB 20 Sep 2012 22:10:24 41,986 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The B-Wing looks ace too. Really nicely done. I got the Skiff and Landspeeder recently because of a price drop on Amazon. 18 and 15 a piece. Quite nice, plus the former has the new Bobba Fett.

The Xwing went down to 25-30 at one point, but I procrastinated and it shot up to 45 after 30mins.
  • Khanivor 20 Sep 2012 22:13:33 39,892 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That X-wing will be mine, as will the Tie Fighter. Both those sets are always on sale on Amazon. Waiting for that magic day of the month when the discount is 20% rather than 2%.

I have a Y-Wing inbound as part of the order I made yesterday. I suppose I should get to finishing rebuilding my old Tie Fighter set and Darth's Tie. Hmm, if I get the X-wing then with the Falcon I'll have a full Death Star battle-set! (minus $400 Death Star)
  • FWB 20 Sep 2012 22:17:32 41,986 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How do you display them? My plan in the new place is to place them around the apartment as "Easter Eggs". Going to chuck a few storm troopers/rebels and speeders in plants as though they're fighting. Want to get some sand for the Tatooine pieces so might have a larger pot with mini cactus. Got to think of a better way of displaying any ships I get rather then just hanging them from some where. That's a bit shit.

The GF is going to have to be very understanding. :)

Edited by FWB at 22:19:14 20-09-2012
  • hypernova 20 Sep 2012 22:22:50 1,967 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Khanivor - The new B-Wing is way over-priced, price-per-piece wise. If Star-Wars is your thing, you'd be best waiting until next years May the 4th promo to consider it. I can't recommend the modulars enough, they're crazy good value (the most expensive price-per-piece one is Grand Emporium, at 6pence per piece, which is still better than even Lego's other unlicensed sets). Just convince 'the other half' it's an investment :)
  • Khanivor 20 Sep 2012 22:25:42 39,892 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    hyper, you forgot one UCS set, Obi Wan's starfighter. Got that on sale from the Lego shop itself for $60 as opposed to $100. Quite the deal and a really tight set.

The lego store does charge me sales tax but there's one nice thing about the area I live; Lego has a distribution center very close by. I placed my order last night and it's already in Chattanooga. In fact, it's at the Fed Ex depo about 15 blocks from my house. I used to drop stuff off there for my old job just about every day; it was less hassle for me to get buzzed through the security gates than Fed Ex's own drivers. I wonder if they could hand it over to me... Seriously though, that's part of the my weekend set. The other part can be spent building the kid's reward for getting an A on her report card for the 1st time in maths. Got her Technics as that's what they use on the Lego robotics team, and her father drives a truck a lot like that set for his work, (when's he's employed, the redneck deadbeat).

While I'm here, I may as well report my first attendance at Olivia's Lego robotics team at her school. Took the afternoon off work yesterday, which just so happened to be the day they were building the 'missions'. These are the various Lego doo-dads which the robot is programmed to interact with, like a flag, a ball dropping mechanism, so bowling pins and a bridge. This was the perfect day for me to attend as I got to spend over an hour helping the kids build Lego! My decades of experience paid off, especially helping with the Technics rods, which are much harder to find when you don't have paper instructions to measure against, just a PDF. Caught one group's mistake in having things round the wrong way, found pieces the others couldn't spot, (I'm embarrassed to admit my pride in instantly retrieving a brick a nine year old had been fruitlessly hunting a few minutes for) and just generally had an awesome time. Looks like we won't be starting the next job till Tuesday so I think I'll go back on Monday and help them finish the missions :)
  • Khanivor 20 Sep 2012 22:28:40 39,892 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Convincing the other half isn't all that hard. My enthusiasm is infectious. Plus getting her kid hooked on the Lego was a very smart strategic move on my part ;)

I will be buying my first ever Duplo sets now I have a kid of my own coming. I'n gonna have that wee bugger putting bricks together before it's stopped shitting itself.
  • hypernova 20 Sep 2012 22:29:16 1,967 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @FWB - Just brick-build your own display stands :) I'll link you a thread if I can find it, showing what others do.
  • hypernova 20 Sep 2012 22:34:50 1,967 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Convincing the other half isn't all that hard. My enthusiasm is infectious. Plus getting her kid hooked on the Lego was a very smart strategic move on my part ;)

I will be buying my first ever Duplo sets now I have a kid of my own coming. I'n gonna have that wee bugger putting bricks together before it's stopped shitting itself.
    heh, snap! My nephew's 1st Birthday is next week, gonna get him hooked on the Duplo early :) Although, when I was mentioning this to the girl at my local Lego shop, she recommended Megablocks for that age. I jokingly called her up on recommending their rival, so she quickly backtracked with tales of their reported crap quality :)
  • FWB 20 Sep 2012 22:37:42 41,986 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That'd be nice of you, hyper.

The lass is actually quite relaxed about it. She notices when something new crops up on the shelf though... don't know if that's good or bad. :)
  • hypernova 20 Sep 2012 22:52:35 1,967 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No worries, I'll have a look for it.

I really wouldn't be put off buying 10197 Fire Brigade and 10193 Medieval Market Village because of size. If you can't accommodate the full builds, they're just incredible value for the parts (and will only increase in value when they're gone).

MMV is also smaller than it appears in promo pictures, as the two buildings actually close. You can see some pics of the buidlings closed here . It goes great with the new Monster Fighters theme (and Pirates) actually.
  • Khanivor 20 Sep 2012 22:55:33 39,892 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Speaking of Monster Fighters, the Haunted House looks frigging awesome. It's also quite good value too.

Hmm, doing a SW Lego search on Amazon right now could cost me some money. Maul's Sith ship is 33% off. Nah, still overpriced.
  • FWB 20 Sep 2012 22:58:56 41,986 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I refuse to touch anything from Ep1-3.
  • hypernova 20 Sep 2012 23:03:16 1,967 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Khani - they keep practically giving away that Maul Sith ship in the UK, and Obi Wan's Starfighter also tanked over here (Lego put it down to less than half-price to shift remaining stock).

And to put us all to shame, the chap who built that great Rivendell moc is just a 16 year old kid
  • FWB 20 Sep 2012 23:09:34 41,986 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ohh, how does the Minecraft set work out in terms of brick value? Being all mini bricks, I thought it might be worth a look.
  • hypernova 20 Sep 2012 23:17:16 1,967 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^ Just over 7pence per piece . That's pretty good value. It contains a lot of 1x1 tiles in dark green, which are rare. As it's a Cussoo model, it'll be limited production (check ebay prices). Lego have promised the 'community' they're readying another 10,000 production run in time for Christmas though.

I'd still recommend the games and the Creator sets as well, if you want small parts, as they offer the best value at rrp (alongside the modulars), so just go for sets with pieces in the colours you want.

I'd recommend Brickset as it's a great resource for checking that type of thing. The forum might make you lose faith in mankind though.

Edited by hypernova at 00:25:10 21-09-2012
  • hypernova 21 Sep 2012 21:42:00 1,967 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Speaking of Monster Fighters, the Haunted House looks frigging awesome. It's also quite good value too.
    It's a great set, lots of useful pieces. Unfortunately over here it's the same rrp as the Town Hall, which makes it poor value in comparison. Congrats on expecting btw.

@FWB - Sorry mate, I can't seem to find the thread I was mentioning about custom Lego built display stands for the Star Wars vehicles. You can kind of get an idea of how they're built by looking at the official stands that Lego makes, like the ones for 7962 Anakin's and Sebulba's Podracers - photo

You guys might also like this - a mini build 10228 Haunted House
  • sport 26 Sep 2012 20:33:09 12,046 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Clean up time - http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gallery/2012/sep/26/legoland-annual-clean-in-pictures
  • hypernova 6 Oct 2012 13:26:08 1,967 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New Batman S@H exclusive:

Arkham Asylum

US $159.99 CA $209.99 DE 159.99 UK 129.99 DK 1399.00 DKK :/

Edited by hypernova at 13:27:54 06-10-2012

Edited by hypernova at 13:29:05 06-10-2012

Edited by hypernova at 13:29:50 06-10-2012
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Oct 2012 13:29:34 7,275 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bought the Situ Fury-class Interceptor from the Old Republic range last weekend.
  • Ironlungs76 6 Oct 2012 13:47:29 4,930 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Great, opened that link when my lad was looking over my shoulder and he now wants the AA escape set for Xmas!
  • hypernova 6 Oct 2012 13:50:17 1,967 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not out until January :)
  • Ironlungs76 6 Oct 2012 13:51:55 4,930 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ahh, I'll have to break that to him now, cheers :)
  • hypernova 6 Oct 2012 19:18:05 1,967 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And a peek at the upcoming Hobbit range... Hobbit poster

Only Bag End looks any good.
  • dsmx 6 Oct 2012 20:36:21 7,413 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have these still made up http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8462 , http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8479 , http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8480 , http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8460 , http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8275 , http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8448 . Annoyingly I have one glaring omission the classic http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8880 .

Edited by dsmx at 20:37:18 06-10-2012

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Agent_Llama 6 Oct 2012 22:48:39 3,248 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hypernova wrote:

I really wouldn't be put off buying 10197 Fire Brigade and 10193 Medieval Market Village because of size. If you can't accommodate the full builds, they're just incredible value for the parts (and will only increase in value when they're gone).

MMV is also smaller than it appears in promo pictures, as the two buildings actually close. You can see some pics of the buidlings closed here . It goes great with the new Monster Fighters theme (and Pirates) actually.
    Got the Medieval Village a while ago, it's a lovely set. One day I will incorporate it into a walled town or something using my Castle Lego.

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola

• eleven63 6 Oct 2012 23:06:28 1,552 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great thread - discussion with 12 year old today about Christmas presents (wtf do you buy 12yr olds these days?) - in my day, a bucket load of Lego bricks would have been suffice... but now it seems a mine field of appropriate kits between the right side of 12 or you are 5...

Any ideas gratefully appreciated (btw - looked at airport, police, setups, etc, all seem a bit young? I don't know...)

P.S. no, not spending a grand on the space shuttle or millennium falcon...

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• King_Edward 6 Oct 2012 23:37:21 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted
  • dsmx 7 Oct 2012 00:45:51 7,413 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why not a lego technic model?

I remember, seems a bit weird now that when I was 12 or so I was always being fascinated by by all the cogs and the engine parts moving around thinking that I built that, true at that age I got the lego technic shuttle which took me 2 days to finish and there's nothing remotely like that that lego do anymore but the idea is the same.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• hypernova 7 Oct 2012 13:22:10 1,967 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agent_Llama wrote:
    hypernova wrote:

Got the Medieval Village a while ago, it's a lovely set. One day I will incorporate it into a walled town or something using my Castle Lego.
    linky

Edited by hypernova at 13:22:37 07-10-2012
  • hypernova 9 Oct 2012 00:34:09 1,967 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Designer video for the upcoming Arkham Asylum set has been released

And the new modular is pretty much confirmed to be a cinema palace - no pics yet unfortunately.
  • Page

of 120 First / Last